Page 1 of 37 1234511 ... Last

Thread: What comics/cartoons have you read/seen lately?

What comics/cartoons have you read/seen lately?

What comics/cartoons have you read/seen lately?

I know Drazar has a thread on Batman comics, but I've noticed a lot of us here like comics in general, so I thought we could just talk about the comics that we've read recently and review them here, ones that are or aren't related to Batman (but save the reviews for those for Drazar's thread, please). Pretty much just talk about the last comic you read, what it was like and what you thought of it.

I know that Batman is a DC character and all, but I've noticed that fortunately several people here have an affinity for both DC and Marvel. Batman and Spider-Man are my favorite superheroes, and lately whenever I've gotten the chance I've gotten several Batman comics (only the older ones though, I HATE the new direction they're going in with
    ). I now feel my Spider-Man collection is very lacking in comparison, which makes me pretty sad, I like him just as much as Batman. (Ironically I used to have a lot more Spider-Man stuff than I did Batman stuff...)

So I picked up this Spider-Man comic that was recommended to me, it's not extremely popular I guess because I haven't heard of it anywhere else but I heard it was GREAT, and boy, it is. It's called Spider-Man: One Small Break.

This story was written before that whole mess with Brand New Day erasing 20 years worth of stories.

A basic spoiler-free synopsis is that Peter Parker is struggling with financial problems, barely able to make his rent, and is depressed about his divorce with Mary Jane. Throughout the course of the story, he encounters situations that forces him to confront the possibility of breaking his moral code, facing a dark family secret, having the fate of countless people in his hands and his hands alone, and has to face uncomfortable memories to make it through. At the same time, a mysterious new enemy arises with the powers of every superhero and supervillain ever, and his single vice is fulfilling an intensely hateful grudge towards Spider-Man, which he ends up going to drastic measures to attempt to complete.

I want it to be known that even though this isn't a particularly famous comic, it is probably one of the most emotionally impacting comics I've ever read in my entire life. I have great comics with lots of nostalgic and inspiring significance, like Watchmen, The Dark Knight Returns, and others, but this one really, really cut to my core. It's the last time in my recent memory that I've actually shed tears while reading, and those moments come few and far between for me. If you're a fan of Spider-Man or even just wanting to read a really, really good superhero story, I strongly recommend picking this comic up, I promise you will not be disappointed.

I've been reading the Batman Animated Series Adventures, Batman & Robin Adventures, Harl and Pam, and Gotham Underground.
    Happiness is an illusion. Suffering is real.

If you can't stand reading great comics with non-Bruce Batman in it. How can you read Jeph Loeb's Batman stories or Miller's Batman stories where it isn't even a true loyal showcase of Bruce? Miller has his own grimdark Batman, and Loeb's Batman is one of the dumbest people out there who can't figure out anything.

It's a true shame if you really wanna skip some of the best comics out there that people *will* recommend for years to come, simply because you can't read a fictional character doing what he was *trained* to do by Bruce.

EDIT: Just to make sure i'm not trying to bash or insult you here for having different tastes. It's more of a shame you just aren't picking up some of the stories because there well written and well drawn. I mean it's like Knightfall but more serious this time.

Originally Posted by Drazar
    If you can't stand reading great comics with non-Bruce Batman in it. How can you read Jeph Loeb's Batman stories or Miller's Batman stories where it isn't even a true loyal showcase of Bruce? Miller has his own grimdark Batman, and Loeb's Batman is one of the dumbest people out there who can't figure out anything.

It's a true shame if you really wanna skip some of the best comics out there that people *will* recommend for years to come, simply because you can't read a fictional character doing what he was *trained* to do by Bruce.
    Everyone's allowed to like their own *personal* take on Batman, the interpretation they choose to follow. There's no rule saying "You can only like this/these Batman(s), and that's it!" I mean, take yourself for example; you dislike Batman stories others love, sometimes with much reverence (Hush and Long Halloween), and like ones that many people hate (All-Star Batman & Robin). Some people prefer the Christian Bale and/or Micheal Keaton take to the Adam West take, and vice versa. Some people prefer Diamond Age Batman to Silver Age Batman, and vice versa. Can't people enjoy their personal tastes of Batman in peace?

To me, the "true" Batman is the one Frank Miller wrote in his prime, not his recent, lackluster installments. To me, the "true" Batman is dark, brooding, conflicted, tormented, and scary as all hell, enough to put any horror movie villain to shame, yet as deep as any literary classic character is worthy of being. Is this the Batman everyone loves? No, but I'm sure many other fans share my tastes, or some of them.

Implying that Hush has much reverence in comic fan groups. =| Ask any pure comic book forum about Hush and you'll see its not liked story.

Also you're the one judging a book by it's cover and whos in it. While i am the one judging things based off what i've actually read. I like All-Star Batman for it's satire action comedy that is based off the Dark Knight Universe, why? Because it's a joke.

Implying that Hush has much reverence in comic fan groups. =| Ask any pure comic book forum about Hush and you'll see its not liked story.

Also you're the one judging a book by it's cover and whos in it. While i am the one judging things based off what i've actually read. I like All-Star Batman for it's satire action comedy that is based off the Dark Knight Universe, why? Because it's a joke.
    That doesn't mean you have to imply that people aren't fans of the "real" Bruce. There are so many different writers to have handled Batman that there's no one true incarnation.

And as a matter of fact I know plenty of people who deeply enjoy Hush. It's not perfect, but it's a good story.

Some ideas you just can't wrap your brain around. Richard Grayson taking over as Batman and Damian Wayne being Robin are just as ridiculous to me as the Brand New Day storyline in Spider-Man. Richard being Batman in maybe an Elseworlds or a oneshot story would be fine, but an entire series? No thank you. Not for me. If other people like it, I respect that. I know plenty superheroes have passed down the mantle, but Batman is not one I could see doing it. I like Batman, but I will always see Bruce and only Bruce as truly being Batman.

Originally Posted by DarkKnightReturns
    That doesn't mean you have to imply that people aren't fans of the "real" Bruce. There are so many different writers to have handled Batman that there's no one true incarnation.
    Again. Go and ask anywhere about why Hush is laughed on comic community's and you'll see why. This isn't about just Loeb writing an idiot Batman. It's about his story having so much pointless turns that ultimately do nothing for the story whatsoever. From Catwoman to Metropolis to Ras' al Ghul. They served nothing to the story.

Some ideas you just can't wrap your brain around. Richard Grayson taking over as Batman and Damian Wayne being Robin are just as ridiculous to me as the Brand New Day storyline in Spider-Man. Richard being Batman in maybe an Elseworlds or a oneshot story would be fine, but an entire series? No thank you. Not for me. If other people like it, I respect that. I know plenty superheroes have passed down the mantle, but Batman is not one I could see doing it. I like Batman, but I will always see Bruce and only Bruce as truly being Batman.
    And there you once again judge something based off what you've heard. I could place a bet if you picked a single issue of Batman and Robin. You would get hooked for it's compelling story telling and plots which ultimately will be about Bruce's return from the Omega Sanction.

And there you once again judge something based off what you've heard. I could place a bet if you picked a single issue of Batman and Robin. You would get hooked for it's compelling story telling and plots which ultimately will be about Bruce's return from the Omega Sanction.
    Well maybe that's how you feel about it. Maybe Batman & Robin is a good story, maybe it's very well made and has a lot of effort into it, but maybe I just don't care to read it. You don't like The Long Halloween, and a lot of other fans do like it. Am I suddenly outcast just by not liking something that most other people do? I've never heard anyone complain to you that you disliked The Long Halloween. I'm pretty sure if I ranted and raved about a brand new really grim dark Batman story that completely ignores all Golden/Silver Age stuff and is very old school Miller-ish and read all the way through it and really liked it and then wanted to ask you to read it, you would want to refuse. I would be fine with that.

I don't hate TLH but it's not the brightest story out there when Loeb kept changing the plot because internet people figured it out, making it into a piss writing with dull changes and horribly reasons of having Batman's rogue gallery out there that did NOT serve the plot.

So what if alot of people do like it? Alot of people like Twilight movies. Alot of people like Bayformers. It's all down to the taste and which we are here discussing about.

You on the otherhand place an OPINION on something you haven't even touched on. Which is just incredibly pointless.

I don't hate TLH but it's not the brightest story out there when Loeb kept changing the plot because internet people figured it out, making it into a piss writing with dull changes and horribly reasons of having Batman's rogue gallery out there that did NOT serve the plot.

So what if alot of people do like it? Alot of people like Twilight movies. Alot of people like Bayformers. It's all down to the taste and which we are here discussing about.

You on the otherhand place an OPINION on something you haven't even touched on. Which is just incredibly pointless.
    Well, I know all about "don't judge a book by it's cover", but this is fictional entertainment, it's not like it's a matter of life and death or going to influence my future somehow.

Let me try to give you a clear example of what I'm thinking. Now, I'm not making assumptions, but let's say your favorite character is, say, Killer Croc.

Suppose Killer Croc had a partner in crime who he's been working with a very long time. Said partner is a likable character who is somewhat popular on their own, but around Killer Croc or in the middle of his business, they're best at being what they are with them -- a "sidekick", let's suppose.

Now let's say a writer comes along and writes a story where everything you know and love about Killer Croc is flipped upside down. Maybe he's not killed off, maybe he's not shot in the spine and crippled, maybe he's not sent into the past leaving behind his body in a catatonic state, but nonetheless it's something drastic that changes the character a lot. Now, Croc's partner comes in and tries to fulfill his shoes. This isn't entirely a bad idea, but it's still going against everything that you as an individual fan with their own tastes on the characters personally value about Croc and his status. How wouldn't you take this with a grain of salt?

I wouldn't be the one judging things by what i've heard but i'd check it out myself. You're trying to reason that no matter what you cannot accept noone else as Batman, yet you haven't read a single issue that you know. Shock and Awe might actually change your opinion and make you say "hey this is really cool actually." but no, its just you saying you can't like something whatsoever withouth giving it a chance, and thus its really pointless to begin with to state such things.

I wouldn't be the one judging things by what i've heard but i'd check it out myself. You're trying to reason that no matter what you cannot accept noone else as Batman, yet you haven't read a single issue that you know. Shock and Awe might actually change your opinion and make you say "hey this is really cool actually." but no, its just you saying you can't like something whatsoever withouth giving it a chance, and thus its really pointless to begin with to state such things.
    Really the only reasons I'm not reading Batman & Robin right now aside from disliking the premise are

1. I don't like Grant Morrison
    2. I can't afford to buy comics all the time even if it's a single $3.00 issue
    3. I don't live close enough to a comic book store in the first place

If I had a friend or something who had Batman & Robin and was willing to let me read or borrow it, I'd be more than happy to try it at least.

Yeah see it's a wonderful thought that you'd give it a chance, but stating that you can't stand something withouth even reading it is really the problem in my perspective. I mean you'd laugh if i stated my dislike for TLH or Hush if i hadn't read them. Also how did you form your negative opinion on Morrison? Have you read anything he has written even?

I've read Arkham Asylum: A Serious House On Serious Earth, which is a great book that I really liked (a lot for the idea that Batman was as insane as his enemies and the disgustingly delightful depiction of the villains), but I just couldn't stand how Morrison spent the entire time undermining Batman and making him seem like a buffoon who was unstable to the point that he looked like an idiot and in some cases had much difficulty defending himself in ways he always readily does in other incarnations with little to no difficulty at all (ESPECIALLY
    . The very premise of most of his new books seem all about that as well, just bashing Batman and making him seem a lot weaker than he really is and is supposed to be (
    ). I don't doubt that Morrison is a talented writer, but I just don't like the way he does things and the stories he's writing. A certain number of fans out there despise his run on Batman, and I'm one of them.

You think the idea of Batman being able to defeat Superman is idiotic and bad writing, well that's how I feel about Batman constantly being undermined. If anything the idea of having a brand spanking new villain come up and surprisingly trump Batman on initial encounter is unoriginal at best, Bane already did it close to 20 years ago in Knightfall, and I don't like the religious undertones Morrison keeps shoehorning into his work, I prefer a secular Batman, both as a character and as a story. Plus he keeps deliberately grasping at straws to throw in blatantly pointless references to the awful Silver Age stories and a few Golden Age stories which don't work at all with the dark modern environment of Batman he's writing in, it's like trying to mix Barney The Dinosaur and Saw, it's just impossible to work and the concept is completely laughable. All of this make the majority of Morrison's Batman stories to me despicable. I'd maybe like to try Ressurection of Ra's Al Ghul and stuff, but not much else. You might think Jeph Loeb's Batman is not smart, well I think he is, he just has tough villains and makes an occasional slip up, he's as close as there is to being perfect but he's only human and all of us make mistakes from time to time.

Edit: I'm really sorry to sound like a jerk, but this has been almost every post in here off-topic about my choosing to not read Batman & Robin or favor Grant Morrison, I know you're a mod and all but can we please keep things on topic? It's not like I like to debate/argue anyhow...

Originally Posted by DarkKnightReturns
    I
    Batman had just gone thru a living hell and was exhausted. Perhaps you're forgotteing that Batman like any other man, is just a man. Also we both know Batman is utterly optimistic on people and always gives them a 2nd chance. Here he was trying to talk to him, but then got overwhelmed. Funny how you're okay with Loeb's Batman being the worst detective around there and not having any back-up plans if his rope got cut off, but you can't stand Bruce trying to talk to a doctor here.

The very premise of most of his new books seem all about that as well, just bashing Batman and making him seem a lot weaker than he really is and is supposed to be (
    ). I don't doubt that Morrison is a talented writer, but I just don't like the way he does things and the stories he's writing. A certain number of fans out there despise his run on Batman, and I'm one of them.
    Wow just wow. This is the most silliest comment out there, sorry to sound so utterly rude but you're saying the writer who:
    - Made Batman defeat 4 white martians by himself.
    - Made Superman give Batman the title "earth's most dangerous man"
    - Batman who can sneak upto super powered beings such as Superman withouth allowing them to hear his heartbeat
    - Has figured out to be under a fake universe with his real body being trapped not once, but twice!
    - Prepared for pretty much anything.
    - Defeated Desaad in an alternative universe by his mere willpower
    - Created a backup personality to fight againts an upcoming psychologial attack.
    - Mocked and SHOTa god of evil, thus helping the heroes to kill the god of evil.
    - is fightning againts HISTORY itself in the world to figure out how to escape the Omega Sanction himself and get back to modern era.

You haven't read a damn modern Batman story from Morrison yet you have formed an opinion based off comments. It's just silly. Yes i said it. It's just sillyd to have an opinion on something you, yourself haven't even read.
    You think the idea of Batman being able to defeat Superman is idiotic
    But it is. Thankfully Frank Miller and Loeb are both smart enough to know that. I wish the fanbase could actually read the dialogue and monologue of those 2 "fights" you constantly refer to and actually see the damn truth, but hey what can i do when some fans are obssessed with their favorite characters being the best?

You might think Jeph Loeb's Batman is not smart, well I think he is, he just has tough villains and makes an occasional slip up, he's as close as there is to being perfect but he's only human and all of us make mistakes from time to time.
    It's a mistake from the writer to keep changing the plot every issue because internet people were figuring out the killer. This is the problem with Long Halloween. Loeb made Batman into a novice detective and ultimately there really isn't any idea who the Holiday Killer is... the 2nd one that is.
    Edit: I'm really sorry to sound like a jerk, but this has been almost every post in here off-topic about my choosing to not read Batman & Robin or favor Grant Morrison, I know you're a mod and all but can we please keep things on topic? It's not like I like to debate/argue anyhow...
    Don't mind my mod status.

Also you just made an opinion on Morrison yet again based off comments and not actually reading it. Stop making comments or thoughts on anything you've just heard. Only and only comment on the stuff you've read yourself.

Now what did i read recently? Well heres what i read this week:
    Batman #695 Tony Daniel's Life after Death is now culminating to it's finale. We get more and more clues on the inevitable identity of the Black Mask. I loved how Daniel draws Kitrana and Selina as lookalikes, since hey. They can very possibly be related to each other. Action was cool but short this issue and it seems somethings going totally wrong with the Reaper here. Cliffchanger issue for the next last issues of Life After death.

Catwoman #83 Roman Sionis RISE! I liked the issue overall. Art was good but it seems they defeated Black Mask way too easily.. Then again Poison Ivy *is* a goddess on her own right so i guess i'm underestimating her.

Deadpool Team up #899-#897 WoW i really liked this stuff! It's like Batman: The Brave and the Bold but it's Deadpool! Writing has been funny and the jokes are good, adult and not so immature as i was worried Deadpool would be about, phew! I really liked artists and writing in each issue except not the art so-much in #897. The pencils and coloring just didn't cut to my own tastes really. Still this seems like a fun title an d getting me to know more about Marvel's gallery of heroes and villains!

Batman: The Widening Gyre #4 Kevin Smith's work on Batman is both hilarious and serious. It's great to see Silver after so many years, not to mention Baphomet is an interesting subplot and character in itself. Tho so far theres no real point of him being in this story, but hey the 2 last issues hopefully will resolve around his subplot. The pacing is fast and awesome. We get abit of Morrison-esque "lets make everything canon" where we see Silly Silver Age villains retiring because Joker started the trend of killing, and these campy villains either retired or became grim dark too. It's quite hilarious to see the Crazy Quilt trying to be all grim dark lol.

Read a few issues of Batman Adventures V2 yesterday. Continuing the rest today.

Finished Reel to Real, Swan Swong, and Cold Hearted...

Reading issues of Gotham Adventures. So far, so good.

Ive been catching up on Blackest Night and finishing Alan Moores Swamp Thing. Swamp Thing only gets better.

Arkham Asylum actually inspired me to start reading the comics once more, recently I've bought The Killing Joke since it became a favorite of mine ever since my friend told me about it. I'll catch up eventually >_>;;

i recently read the long halloween and dark victory, i thought those were pretty good, oh and drazar, i do agree how batman was a bit of a crappy detective in TLH, but u gotta give him a break, it was only his 2nd year as the batman in that story, so we can't expect him to be the worlds greatest detective he is now.

oh and i read batman and son, that was pretty awesome, i wanna get the black glove and R.I.P now. and drazar do u need the black case book to understand some stuff, cause im not sure

Originally Posted by Bat_Fan
    i recently read the long halloween and dark victory, i thought those were pretty good, oh and drazar, i do agree how batman was a bit of a crappy detective in TLH, but u gotta give him a break, it was only his 2nd year as the batman in that story, so we can't expect him to be the worlds greatest detective he is now.
    I'd forgive Loeb if he hadn't kept changing the plot and thus make a total mess on the 2nd Holiday Killer. Also we got "The Man Who Laughs", "Batman: Gothic" and "Batman & the Monster Men" which happen post-One Year but pre-TLH yet Batman was a great detective there.

Now i've obviously set the image as if TLH was the worst comic out there. It's definatly not even close to the worst stories out there, but it's on the decent/good but extremely overrated in my perspective catagory.

oh and i read batman and son, that was pretty awesome, i wanna get the black glove and R.I.P now. and drazar do u need the black case book to understand some stuff, cause im not sure
    Absolutely not. The Black Casebook is just another 20 bucks spent for Morrison-fanboys where we can see where he got ideas for his Bruce-Batman story pretty much. It's cool if you become a huge Morrison fanboy but otherwise you could spent those 20 bucks for some other great comics.

I'd forgive Loeb if he hadn't kept changing the plot and thus make a total mess on the 2nd Holiday Killer. Also we got "The Man Who Laughs", "Batman: Gothic" and "Batman & the Monster Men" which happen post-One Year but pre-TLH yet Batman was a great detective there.

Now i've obviously set the image as if TLH was the worst comic out there. It's definatly not even close to the worst stories out there, but it's on the decent/good but extremely overrated in my perspective catagory.

Absolutely not. The Black Casebook is just another 20 bucks spent for Morrison-fanboys where we can see where he got ideas for his Bruce-Batman story pretty much. It's cool if you become a huge Morrison fanboy but otherwise you could spent those 20 bucks for some other great comics.
    i don't think that u think it was the worst comic, i just saying lol.
    although maybe it would make sense in those stories if they dumbed him a litte bit, he shouldnt be world greatest yet, but i herd those were good stories anyway

lol and i don't think il become a total fanboy of morrison, i just wondering if it was needed, thank u very much for the for the help

Reading Batman Beyond. It ain't as good as the original Batman series comics/cartoons but it's worth the read when you're bored as hell.

Currently reading "Gotham Adventures". It's not particularly good, except for a few unexpectedly well-written issues, but I'm having troubles finding good Batman comics that I haven't read already. Anyone can give tips to someone who enjoyed reading "Batman Black&White" and "Joker's Asylum"?
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    "You can't be disgusted by spiderwebs! You're Batman!"

Page 1 of 37 1234511 ... Last