Thread: What comics/cartoons have you read/seen lately?

What comics/cartoons have you read/seen lately?

Just got Batman, Deadman, and The Walking Dead today in the mail.

Batman #1: Amazing. I can understand why everyone loves Scott Snyder so much. Now I do too! I'll have to pick up the Black Mirror TPB when it comes around.

DC Universe Presents Deadman #1: Really cool story. Nice cliffhanger at the end. Can't wait to see some more.

The Walking Dead #88: Good as usual. Some nice buildup towards the end. Haven't read it in a while so some of the impact was lost on me but it's still a quality book.

I'm going to go look up that TPB release date if you guys don't mind...
    "Did you believe you could change me, the way I've changed you?"
    "I already did."

Originally Posted by Old_BenKenobi
    Hey man, inking is so much more than tracing.
    Oh, I'm sure...

tracer.
    signature image

Well inking doesn't mean so much nowadays when you have pencillers wasting hours on finite details, line weights and shading rather than working on their fundamentals (and falling behind on work), but it used to be that the inker's job was to interpret pencils and use various rendering techniques and good old fashioned know-how to make those pencils worthy for prink.

Frank Miller is a prime example of how much of an effect inking has on the final piece. When he draws a page he draws it in full detail, its in the inking stage that he decides what will be black and what will be white.
    "Sleep? That bed is a coffin and those are winding sheets. I do not sleep I die." - Captain Ahab

Yeah, I'm just messin' with you. However, my point was regarding those whose primary occupation was in the pencilling categories. I mean, you don't see writers trying to draw because they know that they're writers, and that they are good at it. It seems like you get these guys like Daniel and Finch who think they can do it all and wind up making visually okay (not in Daniel's case IMO) books with crappy stories that read like fan fiction by 8-year olds. I still think Snyder and Capullo should've been the ones on Detective.

On a side note, I'm done with Hot Toys after Keaton and Jack, as Sideshow has a bunch of DC Comics based 1/6th stuff for lower prices. Of the concept art I saw, there was a new 52 Batman, a Classic Batman, a Golden Age Batman, and...drumroll, please...Arkham Asylum Batman as well as various other products, I'll post the video in the official conversation thread.
    signature image

Originally Posted by A Dark Knight
    Batman #1: Amazing. I can understand why everyone loves Scott Snyder so much. Now I do too! I'll have to pick up the Black Mirror TPB when it comes around.
    American Vampire volume 1 and 2, highly recommending.

Originally Posted by batfan08
    Yeah, I'm just messin' with you. However, my point was regarding those whose primary occupation was in the pencilling categories. I mean, you don't see writers trying to draw because they know that they're writers, and that they are good at it. It seems like you get these guys like Daniel and Finch who think they can do it all and wind up making visually okay (not in Daniel's case IMO) books with crappy stories that read like fan fiction by 8-year olds. I still think Snyder and Capullo should've been the ones on Detective.

On a side note, I'm done with Hot Toys after Keaton and Jack, as Sideshow has a bunch of DC Comics based 1/6th stuff for lower prices. Of the concept art I saw, there was a new 52 Batman, a Classic Batman, a Golden Age Batman, and...drumroll, please...Arkham Asylum Batman as well as various other products, I'll post the video in the official conversation thread.
    Editors actually feel the same way. They tend to not be a fan of writer-artists because they say its usually fairly obvious why they're primarily an artist.
    "Sleep? That bed is a coffin and those are winding sheets. I do not sleep I die." - Captain Ahab

Originally Posted by Drazar
    American Vampire volume 1 and 2, highly recommending.
    I'll see if I can find them. Is there any place where I can get all the issues of his Detective run? The TPB is coming out in late November and I don't particularly feel like waiting nearly two months.

EDIT: Just ordered the first ten issues of his run. The last one (#881) isn't available on MyComicShop yet so I'll have to wait... unless you can give me some other places.
    "I already did."

I finally got my Ultimate Comics Avengers vs. New Ultimates: Death of Spider-Man trade alongside Holy Terror, thought i'd share my thoughts on the trade, even tho i did already write up my thoughts on the series as a whole, i wanna try to be more objective here, but i know i can't hehe. I wanna re-read Holy Terror a few times before really digging into it.

Ultimate Comics Avengers vs. New Ultimates: Death of Spider-Man by Mark Millar & Leinil Francis Yu
    I first wanna talk about the cover and background of this hardcover and how it's promoted, because disappointedly it's being treated as some cross-over tie-in to Bendis' & Bagley's Death of Spider-Man arc, even the back cover text talks about how the most important superhero teams collide and Spider-Man pays the ultimate price, thats what this book is trying to sell as the story, not as Nick Fury's mission to get his old mission back, not as Avengers vs. Ultimates, but really as a story where Spider-Man bites the dust. The cover they choose for the hardcover is of #3 which shows Punisher shooting Spider-Man, not any of the multiple covers or variant covers they could have chosen of the Avengers fightning againts the Ultimates. I feel this is false promotion, but i'm not sure is it truly bad marketing per say because the Death of Spider-Man did sell better, but you'd think promoting this as "Mark Millar is back with the Ultimates" would gather more interest, i'd say thats debatable.

The book opens in true Ultimates fashion demonstrating how truly destructable force Thor's Mjölnir is, then switching to set up the political scheme of the story which involves the Triskelion having been beamed to the Middle-East, this is continuation from Avengers: Blade vs. The Avengers but the issue does give proper amount of exposition to explain how things happened and who caused them and why. We're also treated with very familiar Ultimates plot-point being the super-soldier arm race as USA, China & Russia are on a constant arms race who has the best possible super soldiers for the possible future wars. There is also a very minor subplot execution that spans all the way from Ultimates which is Tony Stark's brain tumor. It doesn't have a higher purpose in the story outside of Millar wanting to conclude a subplot he wrote.

Wheres #1 was an reintroduction to the Ultimates and the overall plot (more on that later) the 2nd issue introduces us to the Avengers, which is Nick Fury's Black Ops assembly consisting of the most badass characters of the Marvel characters! You have Hawkeye, Blade, War Machine & the Punisher all working under Nick Fury doing these nasty covert missions annihilating super villains, drug cartels and keeping the world save from threaths the common citizen shouldn't be aware of. Now onto the overall plot and the real premise of the book: The world's loved public heroes the Ultimates vs. the Black Ops Avengers, it's the classic superhero vs. superhero story with a mysterious villain in the background pulling everyones' strings, nearly achieving his goals until the heroes realize they've been fooled and team up together to save the day alongside forcing a cross-over with another story arc regarding Spider-Man's demise, which is poorly utilized and has minium impact on this story as a whole.

The real big premise of the book revolving around Avengers and Ultimates combating each other is rather minimalistic. It's the classic New York superhero brawl, but i feel i was overhyped because of the fantastic covers by Leinil Francis Yu & Bryan Hitch's variant covers that gave this feeling of epicness, here the fight scenes are shared panels and theres no huge amount of splash images, it's all hectic mouse and cat chase sequences with superheroes and assassins combating each other. It's great fight scenes, but i wish it had been longer.

The endgame of the story takes a full swing on the political threaths as the balance of the arms race hangs loose as invasions happen around the globe and it's up to the Ultimates and Avengers to stop all this madness and save the day as the heroes they are. The conclusion to the story also serves as a conclusion to Mark Millar's 24 issue-run with Nick Fury's mission to get what he wants, and boy does it end with Nick Fury and the reader grinning with glee. =)

Rating: 85/100:
    If you're looking for more Mark Millar titles with Captain America, Iron Man and Thor after presumebly reading the wonderful Ultimates & Ultimates 2, this is a book for you. Fans of Ultimate Avengers receive a mostly satisfactional, but not the perfect closure they might have asked, if this book would have been 7 issues long and not 6, i think the pacing would be much sweeter and the big promised battle much more satisfactional. People who consider this a "Death of Spider-Man" crossover should not be bothered with this, unless they also fill with the 2 example catagories mentioned above.

I will also finish this with just saying Leinil Francis Yu is at the top of his game with the art, the cinematographic style with the panel useage and the angles makes this feel like an A+ Action thriller that packs a punch!

Surprised you're not going for the omni Draz.

Nah i like how the the stories are standalone and the pessimistic me doens't believe the Omnibus will have some never before seen extra footage, so i went with 4 Hardcovers that i can easily read in any order i want. I'm thinking of reading the Blade story again.

Also i finally understood the symbolic value a single panel in Holy Terror, scratching my head but i partly realized it but i was also informed what it meant and i was thinking the right path, man Holy Terror can be harder than any Morrison's Bat issues lol. Gosh tho i still wish it would have been a Batman story, because i think Miller had a potentially good idea for a Bat-villain he never would have used before.

Bah, I can't stand tiny hardcovers. More power to you though.

I might grab the omni because its so cheap but I honestly don't know if I would ever read the stories again.

I might grab the omni because its so cheap but I honestly don't know if I would ever read the stories again.
    Yeah i mean they're entertaining but very short reads. Thats why i dig the invidual titles so i can choose which i wish to read. Still i think the 2nd and 4th volumes are my favourites, and as a Blade fanboy i completely adore the 3rd book, especially the dialogue. Sadly i also know these books would have been better if Millar had been allowed to use the Ultimates in all arcs, but he wasn't.

Here's my thoughts on Holy Terror, i think i go too deep into spoiler territory and alot of it, is me talking about how this works in the Dark Knight universe and so forth. Hope you like!

Frank Miller's Holy Terror
    "Empire City will scream. In Agony. In Terror" never change Frank Miller. Never change.

I've read this book 3 times. The first time I read it and finished the story I had a hype backlash, I thought this book was going to about something else than I had in my mind, I loved the art and the dialogue was good, but I thought it would had been better than this. So I read it the 2nd time knowing what the story was, I no longer expected the story to go the way I thought and I came to appreciate it even further. I can see the easy Batman comparisons and how this book can perfectly fit within the Dark Knight universe, which is a shame it doesn't, but i am also very glad DC allowed this book to be released, because I'd assume it wouldn't be too hard to sue Legendary Pictures for copyright infringements. The 3rd time I read it I really came to appreciate the book for what it was. It's a standalone story about Terror with the Fixer being the hero who saves Empire City for doom, but it does dig deeper into the character and it does have its propaganda as well as Frank Miller is clearly a very angry man about this situation, but this is also a pretty typical comic book story, it's not a mysterious detective story, it's not about aliens invading the world, it's about a vigilante stopping an terrorist organization and it wouldn't make any big difference if it was Captain America against Nazis or Nick Fury against HYDRA or Batman against the League of Assassins, really the terrorist villain group can easily be compared with HYDRA, AIM, HAND, H.A.M.M.E.R, KOBRA, LEVIATHAN and the likes, in fact at the very end of the book the terrorists really looked like Hydra Agents to me.

This book is by far the best illustrated comic Frank Miller has done. 3rd of the book feels more like an beautiful art book, it's nasty, it's chaotic, it's Empire City during heavy rain with The Fixer and the Cat Burglar Natalie Stack having a play of mouse and cat due to Natalie stealing a diamond bracelet. Fans of the God Damn Batman can rejoice as Miller inserts a nice "the Fixer. God Damn" when the protagonist of the book gets introduced, but here's where i sort of want to disagree, i honestly believe Natalie Stack is the main protagonist and it really works here, in the book both Natalie and the Fixer share closely the same amount of narration, but the Fixer later in the book is shown to be a pretty messed up person and i'll get to that later, but what I want to bring up is the very wise narrative decision Miller did when choosing to have "Catwoman" in this book: She represents freedom, Catwoman after all is perhaps one of the most self-assured heroines there are, she isn't bound to a desire for justice or a religious cause, no she just does whatever she wants and not giving a damn what people think of her, while also obviously being interested in the only true man she's met: Batman. Very wise decision to use her as the main narrator and heroine of the story, because even if this had been a Batman story, fans of the Dark Knight universe know that Batman considers his mission as a crusade, a holy war and like Batman, the Fixer is a very messed up Dirty Harry person.

The terrorists, like any other great super villain organization has their roots deep, and Empire City like Miller's Gotham City is full of corruption. Captain Dan Donegal (Captain Jim Gordon) is the honest good cop who is an associate with the Fixer, but alas the Empire City police force gets scattered as the Commissionaire is corrupt and the terrorists also have teenagers such as exchange students up on their sleeve alongside international mercenaries who'll kill anyone for their love for money and of course the terrorists are full of extremists Zealots. The terrorists aren't shown as faceless villains as a scene where the Fixer keeps murdering wave after wave them, we actually see panels of what these people look like beneath the cowls and masks, thus giving them abit of humanity and not as some mutant monsters or faceless evil.

The 1st wave of attack is thru suicide bombers who explode full of nails scattering all around the city in multiple places, hitting people and thus impaling body parts, the 2nd wave of suicide bombers happens thru razor blades to cut people, and here comes my 1st favourite scene of the entire book. This beatiful story telling flow almost like it was an motion comic movie feature the Fixer saving Natalie, carrying her on his chest like she was weightless the Fixer swings to safety and we see Natalie asking "The bastards. How many of my neigbhours have they murdered?" in which Miller further shows his story telling ingenius where everything simply goes white, it's a very sad moment and just reflects how many people indeed die from these attacks.

Miller's political attacks begin right this instant we see people such as Michael Moore, Vladimir Putin, Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, Sarah Palin, Benjamin Netanyahu, George W. Bush, Dick Cheney, Hillary Clinton, Barack Obama, Joe Biden, Kim Jong-il and so many other political figures i can't even name them all. Most of them are just all smiling amidst this chaos, perhaps reflecting how these said people talk about terrorism and world peace while not being an average joe such as Frank Miller who is an victim of the 9/11 terrorist attack so he has a lot of anger, you can feel the anger as he attacks politicians and he also attacks today's society of people in the form of a Michael Bay movie. Yes, the Michael Bay Transformer movies receive a cameo showcasing teenagers talking how epic, awesome and "kewl" it is, which might be either Frank Miller attacking how we simply don't care about what's happening in the real world as long as we have our mindless entertainment, it could be about how people endorse violence, since considering the latest Transformer movie had the protagonists rip the villains into little pieces with no mercy whatsoever. There are also attacks on the Islam religion, but i would say Miller does a big attack on Judaism as well, which i'll now dig into alongside the Fixer's motivations.

As we enter the 3rd Act of the story the Fixer takes Natalie to an old warehouse where the Fixer's associate David is. David is a mysterious man with a Star of David tattooed on his face, he has two Asian assassins as his pupils & bodyguards. Fixer remarks him as "the most dangerous man alive" if this was a Batman book, I'd swear this man was none other than Ras' al Ghul, it's like Frank Miller watched Batman Begins and liked the idea of Ras' al Ghul being an important part of Batman's adventures, we learn that the Fixer and David met in Yemen and that's where David had told him he was just waiting for an terrorist attack to come, this is where Natalia learns that the Fixer's entire motivation for being a vigilante was to stay in shape for a night like this, because he knew it was coming and now as he was entering a war his mind was at peace, this is my 2nd favorite scene as Natalia suggests and questions: What if David had just managed to suggest something to make Fixer so damn paranoid? The Fixer is more or less a pawn of some possible Jewish man who controls his own mercenary group and assassins, to me this really feels like the idea that Ras' al Ghul had wanted Batman as his heir and warned about how terrorists will attack Gotham city, and that's why I really wish this was part of the Dark Knight Universe.

Now i think i've already gone way too detailed about all the story details, but Act 3 is obviously the conclusion of the Fixer and Natalie doing their best to stop the terrorists from their final wave of attack, but i will say that the very last page of the book alongside all the propaganda and talks about terrorism is very emotional and you can one way or another really feel Miller's pain. I mean look at the world after 9/11 and you can see how terrorism has become a word used to control and scare people, so yes i did like the way the last page ends the book and the theme on Terror.

Rating: 85/100: I don't think this is anymore "offensive" as Frank Miller's Daredevil, The Dark Knight or his Sin City books. It's very beautifully illustrated and the dialogue is Miller's fun Sin City like extreme Noir, my favorite quote from the Fixer has to be the one he remarks when he starts murdering the terrorists is: "We engage in postmodern diplomacy" So as far as Frank Miller's work goes, it's a pretty fun entertaining action book that just sadly isn't part of the Dark Knight Universe, because i think alot of Batman fans would have loved how the romance and relationship between Batman and Catwoman is written, this takes after "Year One" but before Dark Knight: Boy Wonder, but yeah i don't believe i have anything else to add except this Holy Terror trailer Legendary entertainment did for the Graphic Novel.

I'll read it after I read the book myself.

Just read the last issue on Jonah Hex: Origins. Man that was quite the downer, great twist.

Overall it was an excellent book with three great stories. The series has so far established a high level of quality and maintained that for 18 issues.

Just read the last issue on Jonah Hex: Origins. Man that was quite the downer, great twist.

Overall it was an excellent book with three great stories. The series has so far established a high level of quality and maintained that for 70 issues.
    fixed.
    signature image

Yeah I know I know but I've only read the first 18 now.

Well, like I said in the other thread, I finished Scott Snyder's Detective run. Simply put, it was fantastic. It definitely surpassed my expectations and James Jr. being Dick's "black mirror" was just awesome. Great addition to the rogues gallery. Amazing read. 10/10
    "I already did."

Supernatural #1 by Brian Wood. Supernatural. Brian Wood. 'nuff said.
    signature image

I don't know who he is but I did read about a new Supernatural series.

I'm interested in picking up Swamp Thing, but I can only buy so many comics...
    "I already did."

Hopefully I'm not wasting my money, but I ordered up the hardcover version of the Arkham City comics. It's a story by Paul Dini, and he hasn't disappointed me yet so I'm hopeful for the end result of a good story lead up to the events of the Arkham City video game.
    PSN: Nemesis296
    XBL/GFWL: HyperN3mesis

It is indeed a good story. You should enjoy it.

I got my Planet of the Apes TPB (Boom Studios) in the mail. It's fairly good so far. It's set right after the end of the fifth film, Battle for the Planet of the Apes. You can bet I had a nerdgasm when I realized it was practically a direct continuation.
    "I already did."

Aquaman #2 - Kind of disappointed as this issue is just two scenes and it doesn't really serve any purpose. We see the trench monsters making their way to land and we learn that Aquaman doesn't know who they are. Thats pretty much it. Writing for the trade epitomized. 5/10

All Star Western #2 - This was a really good issue. Theres a lot more action than the first issue which means we miss some of the awesome Jonah-Arkham interplay but the action is really fun. Moritat's art is fantastic, just a blast. We also get a neat backup in the form of El Diablo which serves as a good introduction to the character. The backup is drawn by Jordi Bernet who draw Hex's origin story in JH 13-15. 8/10

Batman #2: Once again, amazing. What else were you expecting?

The Walking Dead #89: Really solid issue. The ending was badass, hilarious, and awesome.

I need to get to reading DC Universe Presents #2.
    "I already did."

Thoughts & Rambles on Wolverine by Jason Aaron Omnibus

Wolverine by Jason Aaron Omnibus volume 1:

This omnibus begins with one of the finest character defining shots at Wolverine to remind the reader (and introducing the readers) to the nastiest manipulating gruesome son of a guns there is, Logan aka Wolverine! The Omnibus collects one-shots, small arcs, mini-series and lastly the Wolverine: Weapon X ongoing that Jason Aaron had until Wolverine received a relaunch under Aaron’s pen.

My only real cringe within this book that collects impressive 688 pages of context, is that it does have a chronological feel regarding Wolverine’s character development and the people around him, it still feels rather disjointed as it comes down to random different superhero adventures. Wolverine just happens to go to X location and by next issue it’s’ Y location with Z motive. I mean it’s not that I need to see Wolverine riding the Blackbird Jet, it’s just that at times I felt there was a more natural feel to it, but it’s a very minor nitpick and all the stories have a rather personal reason why he’s there and doing this and that.

What jumps to new readers and new fans immediately is the rather new direction with Wolverine, the man who never knew a thing about his past excluding some fragments of his past, is now the man who remembers exactly everything he’s done. His first kiss, his first sex, his first kill, his first desire for revenge, basically everything he’s done in his life has now come clear and the man is a wreck because of it, but who wouldn’t if you could remember all the sins’ of your past.

The stories provide tons of variety of their settings from Wolverine’s past with Mystique to my favorite arc in the book which is about Wolverine combating the different ninja clans of Chinatown, it’s so bad kung fu exploitation madness that it truly enhances the story arc, especially with Stephen Segovia great panel work and the “angles” he chooses to illustrate all the different martial arts moves. Wolverine vs. Adamtium-Nanite-Powered mercenaries also takes the cake as Aaron’s longtime collaborator Ron Garney (who illustrates majority of the book) as Wolverine has to go all “Predator” and take them with great tactics, there is a good hero vs. villain moment in this arc that I’ll greatly enjoy remembering.

I also liked how Jason Aaron tackles on the Avengers and later on Steve Rogers onto the story, explaining why Wolverine would consume his life with so much super heroics, switching his costumes more often than a Britney Spears’ backstage dancer and pretty much the whole idea of Jason Aaron using the character’s overexposure as a story tool felt great. I also like how he uses Steve Rogers and gives some positive light why Rogers would ever allow Wolverine to be an Avenger without the cost of writing the character wrong like a certain other writer did.

Yanick Paquette illustrates the most absurd arc and it’s wonderfully insane, it’s about Wolverine in an Asylum with a mad doctor, there are no further comments for the craziness!

The last arc is pretty good, but it takes maybe a bit too much inspiration from Terminator, but again I didn’t mind the Chinatown arc being cliché, so this comes off a tad bit hypocritical, but it’s a good arc, but maybe not the strongest of the book, and the Omnibus closes off with a one shot issue regarding Wolverine and the passing of someone important to him.

Rating: 92/100: Wolverine Omnibus is a good treat for any comic fan, you have absurd concepts weaved into great serious stories, with tons of action, revenge, emotions and most importantly the dialogue and monologue of Wolverine, a great personal story of Wolverine and his random adventure’s that chronologically seem to be about the man finding his inner peace and redemption while being the best there is at what he does.

Page 35 of 37 First First ... 2531323334353637 Last