Thread: What comics/cartoons have you read/seen lately?

What comics/cartoons have you read/seen lately?

Wow, Knightfall Part 2 is just ticking me off. Jean Paul Valley (Azreal) taking the cowl of Batman while Bruce Wayne recovers has just been awful thus far. Batman effectively becomes a monster that threatens to kill people if they don't give him information about how to find Bane. It doesn't even seem logical at this point, and as crazy as it sounds, I kinda want Bane to destroy Jean Paul so that Bruce Wayne can restore the image of Batman in Gotham City. I haven't read the Sword of Azreal, but it seems that Jean Paul has some serious issues with how Batman handles his hero work, and when given the opportunity to do things *his* way he just goes nuts. I'm about 1/2 way through Part 2 and hopefully something will happen that will make Bruce Wayne get better faster, as things are quickly spiraling out of control!

I will say this though, Bruce Wayne seems to be a little too sure of himself throughout this story. Many examples of this throughout, but most notably when confronting Two-Face 3 weeks before meeting his match with Bane. Robin came in to save Batman when all hope seemed lost (Batman was even saying "I should have brought Robin"), and all Robin got was a faceful of angry Batman and a scolding for putting other people in danger from his actions. Personally, acting on instinct to save someone shouldn't be considered wreckless, but Batman seems to think so. That confrontation had a pretty sour taste to it, and hopefully Bruce Wayne will warm up to Tim at some point in the story. I guess maybe he was still sulking over Jason Todd's death, and doesn't want the possibility that something may happen to Tim?
    PSN: Nemesis296
    XBL/GFWL: HyperN3mesis

Your guess is right. Knightfall really happened at a very bad personal time and Batman's overconfidence got the best of him as well.

Today I picked up Action Comics and Detective Comics. I was considering getting Green Arrow but I figured if it gets good reviews I can try to grab it next time.

Action Comics #1: Wow, THIS is the issue DC should have put out last week. Its everything it should have been. It introduces us to this new Superman, gives us the rundown on where his current standing in Metropolis is, tells us whats going on with Clark, introduces us to Lois, Jimmy and Lex and on top of that has (by my count) 29 pages of story content. Theres a lot of meat in this issue and a lot of ground is covered. I really love this version of Superman. Hes everything I want Superman to be. Hes brash and boisterous but hes also a truly good person. I really dig his current power level, hes still leaping around but its said that six months before hand he wasn't nearly as strong. The T-shirt and jeans costume looks great and just underlines the whole blue-collar vibe. This truly is the working class Superman, the one who beats up wifebeaters (or rather, throws them into the river and breaks six of their ribs) and the one who really pursues truth and justice without being a boy scout.

Art-wise its pretty good. Rags Morales doesn't seem to be the best story teller, there were moments when I was a little confused as to what exactly was happening, he doesn't have the grace of Frank Quitely. But his figure and environmental work is strong and he really makes this new Superman look big and strong without looking overly musclebound, he understands how to make characters look bigger than they actually are.

I really think DC slipped up by not doing this book before Justice League.

Detective Comics #1: Ugh... This was mediocre at best. On the plus side, it mostly told a full story: The Joker is loose and Batman has to catch him. Over the course of the issue we meet Batman, Alfred, Joker, Harvey Bullock, Dr Arkham and Gordon. On the down side... Neither the story or art is very good. The dialog is just downright bad, it reads like fanfiction. Loads of cliches, like someone trying to imitate Frank Miller. The art isn't very dynamic, it feels stiff. Theres one shot of Batman standing on a rooftop and it just looks ridiculous, like his arms and legs are going to burst, just way over exaggerated without the elegance of Jim Lee. Theres another shot that really bugs me, and its of Batman kneeing Joker in the head, only Joker's head is bent forward into the knee rather than back and away, which would visualize the impact. Mediocre all around. And the last page is just disgusting. Big disappointment.
    "Sleep? That bed is a coffin and those are winding sheets. I do not sleep I die." - Captain Ahab

I picked up Action today, and I agree with Ben 100%. I also picked up Men of War #1, Justice League International #1, and Swamp Thing #1.

Men of War-I thoroughly enjoyed this book. It has all of the grit of classic Rock, but with an interesting twist. Mind you, this isn't your grandaddy's Rock, and it certainly isn't your grandaddy's world. One of the things I like about it is that it doesn't try to be an update of classic Sarge., but it uses that character as a way to connect the story. I also really liked the collateral damage from super-heroes aspect of the book. If you don't know about mixing your soldiers with supers, the $3.99 price tag also gets you a more traditional Navy Seals Back-up story. Great pacing. Great art. Possibly my favorite of the bunch. 9/10

JLI-I didn't originally intend to pick this up, as I was trying to limit my books, but I'm glad I did. It's not a revolutionary book by any means, but what it does, it does pretty well. The characters, story, and art make for a fun read. 7/10
    signature image

Swamp Thing-I consider myself something of a Scott Snyder fanboy, as I've followed him from American Vampire to now. That being said, I was a little disappointed by this issue. It seems like he took the #1 as an opportunity to set up his story without doing much else. For me, it was almost a chore to read, as we get a vignette of various animals dying in mass quantities, a visit from Superman, a few people dying, and the monster's return. It all happens very slowly, and as I said earlier, it's a little difficult to read. One of the positives of this issue, however, is Yanick Paquette's artwork. He's got his own unique style that really pops. I actually would've paid $3.99, if it meant having it paced a bit better. With that being said, this was my least favorite. I'll check out #2, and hope that it does better than this one. I'm hoping that Snyder does better with Batman. 5/10

Review Roundup:
    #1 Men of War 9/10
    #2 Action Comics 8.5/10
    #3 Justice League International 7/10
    #4 Swamp Thing 5/10
    signature image

Hm, maybe I should have gotten Men of War as well.
    "Sleep? That bed is a coffin and those are winding sheets. I do not sleep I die." - Captain Ahab

I blazed through Part 2 of Knightfall, and I gotta say, I *hate* Jean Paul Valley (Azreal). His methods are unconventional, and seem to destroy the image that the cape and cowl have come to represent from Batman over the years (adding claws, really?). Even Gordon knows that something is different. The fact that a new suit was fashioned to take out Bane was an interesting story twist, but I don't like the direction that the story has gone. It almost seemed rushed in my opinion; was it the sole fact that Bruce Wayne was crippled by Bane that JPV wanted Bane taken out so badly? Or was it that he felt like if he could take Bane out when Bruce Wayne couldn't, he would make himself more worthy of wearing the cape and cowl? As soon as JPV got into the costume it seemed to turn him into a monster instead of a keeper of peace and justice. Threatening to kill people, and beating victims senselessly when they wouldn't tell him information. Not using fear as a weapon, instead using brute force as a weapon. It's not a Batman that I enjoyed reading what he was doing. And I know that 'The System' influences him somehow, but it still doesn't seem to be an excuse for the behavior exhibited.

I will say this though, the bit of story with Anarky was fun to read, and Scarecrow's fear schemes were entertaining as always. I did like the part where Scarecrow sprayed Joker with fear toxin and nothing happened, I guess it's true that he really is insane and doesn't fear anything. I wonder whatever happened to the Joker though, there are still some big players from Arkham that are still loose on the street from the beginning (Joker, Two-Face, Penguin, Clayface, etc.)

The fight against Bane was intense though, and I like how Bane knew that JPV wasn't the 'real' Batman. It will be interesting to see how Bruce Wayne manages to reclaim the cape and cowl in Part 3 while juggling the remainder of vigilantes in the nuthouse. I'll be starting to read that today.
    PSN: Nemesis296
    XBL/GFWL: HyperN3mesis

Originally Posted by Nemesis296
    I blazed through Part 2 of Knightfall, and I gotta say, I *hate* Jean Paul Valley (Azreal). His methods are unconventional, and seem to destroy the image that the cape and cowl have come to represent from Batman over the years (adding claws, really?). Even Gordon knows that something is different. The fact that a new suit was fashioned to take out Bane was an interesting story twist, but I don't like the direction that the story has gone. It almost seemed rushed in my opinion; was it the sole fact that Bruce Wayne was crippled by Bane that JPV wanted Bane taken out so badly? Or was it that he felt like if he could take Bane out when Bruce Wayne couldn't, he would make himself more worthy of wearing the cape and cowl? As soon as JPV got into the costume it seemed to turn him into a monster instead of a keeper of peace and justice. Threatening to kill people, and beating victims senselessly when they wouldn't tell him information. Not using fear as a weapon, instead using brute force as a weapon. It's not a Batman that I enjoyed reading what he was doing. And I know that 'The System' influences him somehow, but it still doesn't seem to be an excuse for the behavior exhibited.

I will say this though, the bit of story with Anarky was fun to read, and Scarecrow's fear schemes were entertaining as always. I did like the part where Scarecrow sprayed Joker with fear toxin and nothing happened, I guess it's true that he really is insane and doesn't fear anything. I wonder whatever happened to the Joker though, there are still some big players from Arkham that are still loose on the street from the beginning (Joker, Two-Face, Penguin, Clayface, etc.)

The fight against Bane was intense though, and I like how Bane knew that JPV wasn't the 'real' Batman. It will be interesting to see how Bruce Wayne manages to reclaim the cape and cowl in Part 3 while juggling the remainder of vigilantes in the nuthouse. I'll be starting to read that today.
    Still no ASBAR..?
    "Did you believe you could change me, the way I've changed you?"
    "I already did."

Shut up about that stupid book. Let him get there at his own pace.

P.S.

signature image

Originally Posted by batfan08
    Shut up about that stupid book. Let him get there at his own pace.

P.S.

It's a joke. Obviously I know that he's in the middle of Knightfall and he won't be reading it for quite some time. No need to flame me over it.
    "I already did."

Allright ladies and gentlemen, lets talk about some DC comics, tho i'd love to chatter about Punisher, Moon Knight, Snikt Bub and Red Hulk too obviously.

Action Comics #1 This is the new standard for #1 introductions to a solo protagonist, i can't even remember the last time i read an oversized issue that contained so many plots, so many seeds of new plots, great character moments, tributes to the past incarnations of the character and just flatout beatifully written Superman and Lex Luthor. I am so scared of so many #1s coming this month because ActioN Comics creates truly new language to comics where the protagonist doens't stop at all, even as Clark Kent who is truly is Superman (they are one and the same, the ultimate truth) they never stop, they never stop fightning crime and corruption, this is the worker blue-collar hero of the people! Faster than a speeding bullet! Stronger then a locomotive! Able to jump tall buildings in a single bound! It's a bird! No! A Plane! NO! IT's Superman! If i had to rate this i'd give it an 10/10 rating easily, i can forgive some questionable eyes and anatomy on the body from Rag Morales, because this pacing and this story telling is out of this world, eat your hearts Johns, Bendis and Brubaker, the king is still unquestionably Grant Morrison. Learn from the master. I mean holy crap does this issue provide so much context i could just repeat myself over and over. Superman's personal life values we see a map of the space itself, picture of his parents and a book with a candle showing what an intellectual and family loving man he is, his work is busting out corruption and he beats up monster people the greedy filthy humans of our society, pure awesomeness. I love the reinvention of Steel as an government soldier, since thats what Luthor alludes with the proect and i liked the Legion reference thru the landlord, so we know Clark used to be the kansas Superboy aswell. Can any single issue outdo this masterpiece? I doubt it, and thats going to suck, because this issue really spoiled me. Oh and i love how Luthor referred Superman as an "It". Classic.

Detective Comics #1: I will admit i overly liked it, but the truth is Tony Daniel needs to find his own voice, because this comic is such an obvious Frank Miller fan fiction. You got Batman counting all the deaths caused by Joker, you got such awesomely cheesy dialogue such as "i own the night" and "i am gotham" and so on, but you can easily read this off as an parody. The story doens't really do nothing more than set up the brand new villain Dollmaker by using the Joker, because hey why not? Everyone loves the Joker, but you know what i don't love?
    No sir, i don't fancy that. Joker wouldn't ever allow something like that happen, atleast not the Joker i read and know, and heck my Joker does allow himself to cry, but this? Nope Nope. Daniel's real challange is to sell his writing on focusing on Batman and the Dollmaker and i do hold my confidence. But really, Daniel needs to find his own distinct voice, not professional Frank Miller fan fiction please. =)

Justice League International:
    Now this is what you call an comic a good amount of JL#1 readers wanted, close to absolutely no action until the end but setting up the JLI's existence and roster at it's core and what their mission, motivation and purpose in the world is. The International team offers us stereotypes from Britain, China and Russian, but man how can you not love Rocket Red? Da! In Soviet Russia, Bump Fist! I like the idea of Booster Gold being the leader and Batman the best moral support supporting this and giving him a shot, i also like how Green Lanterns are treated as the ultimate soldiers out there, i really like dit. So yeah i'm definately checking out JLI and whats it cooking up.

Swap Thing:
    Scott Snyder can go wrong, and i'm kinda ashamed of myself for not realizing until now that this guy's monologue really is about the protagonist's relationship with his family, it's sorta begun as his trademark almost, tho my reading with him is very limited to Detective Comics and American Vampire, but thats the vibe i got. Sadly this issue is more or less just a set up, but it does build Alec Holland nicely and even has us shown the present Superman, which is less of the Morrison reinvention and more of the All Star Superman we love and cherish. Batman and outrageous Aquaman get cool cameos too, but yeah this is going to be a wonderful horror book, so sell me out Snyder with #2 and make me a Swamp Thing fanatic.

Animal Man:
    Bark Bark Bark! Another horror themed book now from Jeff Lemire that reads more or less as a setup, but i like how it sets up the seeming focus: Animal Man and his family, how his powers have effected the family and how they seem to be passed on from generation to another? The art can get ridicilous at the end and it keeps the reader at his/her toes, so yeah sell me out with the 2nd issue please Lemire.

Green Arrow:
    I'm having a hard time to think about this one, because it begins with a nice introduction to Oliver Queen, but at the same time it really for me kinda turns shift to the villains? I mean, it still has good focus panel on GA's allies and GA himself kicking ass, but it really seemed more about this "real television super villains killing heroes! The new jersey shore!" for some reason, but i did enjoy it's art and i didn't find any faults on Oliver, it just didn't grasp me.

OMAC:
    This was a very wary relaunch, because i'm a fan of Jack Kirby's 8-issue OMAC run because of the creative ideas that he channeled in those issues, here we got the One Man Army Corps as a very much a soldier in a new design that's more "futuristic and alien" look, i understand the idea of giving him blue skin because now you can't trace is he caucasian, african, chinese and so forth, so it's a good move and keeps up the spirit of the Kirby's OMAC nicely, we even get a Kirby villain in this issue and a great 2 page spread splash that just reeks of Kirby, infact the whole issue reeks of Kirby art, but is it Kirby good? I disagree, you kinda need a pitch perfect inking to emulate his penciling style, but yeah you can see my focus here on Kirby, so it this issue nothing more than a fanservive for us OMAC fans? It does set up the character very nicely in it's 1st issue, but again we need bigger guns with it's second issue.
    Batwing:
    The artist doesn't bother much with the backgrounds, but the writing is pretty decent and sets up Africa as the continent of our protagonist Batwing and gives us this nastery badass mercenery supervillain thats suppose to soothe of edgy and grimdarkness and thus the perfect serum of badassery? Eh time till tell, i liked Batwing having to sell the idea of Bat scaring the people and him having a "Nick Fury" Alfred Pennyworth was grin-worthy. Again it doesn't offer much except a setup and action, but yeah sell me on #2 and i'll keep reading.

Originally Posted by A Dark Knight
    It's a joke. Obviously I know that he's in the middle of Knightfall and he won't be reading it for quite some time. No need to flame me over it.
    It's not a joke when you continue to do it on every page. It's borderline spamming, and if you aren't going to contribute anything meaningful, don't bother posting at all.
    signature image

No need to use a swear sword to "escalate" things, but i understand Batfan's point because i didn't see it as a joke either, but i would say Dark Knight is just being eager instead of spamming, bro fist and move on you two brother bears.

What swear word are you talking about? I don't see any.

On a side note, check out Men of War, Draz.
    signature image

I definitely agree about that issue being Frank Miller fanfiction. Even in the way he draws Batman, particularly in the face. The splash page after he talks to Gordon almost looks like it comes from TDKR.

Originally Posted by Drazar
    No need to use a swear sword to "escalate" things, but i understand Batfan's point because i didn't see it as a joke either, but i would say Dark Knight is just being eager instead of spamming, bro fist and move on you two brother bears.
    I certainly will after Batfan calms down.
    "I already did."

signature image

I just finished Action Comics #1, after reading here that it's a good issue for Superman.

(MINOR POTENTIAL SPOILERS)

I did enjoy it. Some minor questions like why Superman's faith in the justice system is already kaputsky 6 months after he appeared, and the lack of why Luthor and the military already are so intwined, why Luthor specifically thinks the way he does, the history already formed with Lois and Jimmy in the rival newspaper -- all of this, I'd actually like to have seen played out, but we seem to have skipped ahead. It's interesting in that it's a lot like the original Action Comics #1, that I also read over tonight, in that Superman already starts off right in the thick of his career, basically, and is also brash and forceful, like he was in that comic. I think there are some definite nods to that first issue here, but then also there are some absolute designs visible that they are pulling away from other established cannon for Superman and how he behaves, and such. I don't mind a Superman that's basically a vigilante fighting both the government/law that he's simultaneously trying to uphold, but I hope this doesn't get too far into the anti-hero and also political realm. DC lately seems to be going that route, though, so I won't be surprised were this to continue that way.

Anyway, I do think it will help sales for Superman with this issue. It will sell better to the angry/disgruntled youth

Angry/disgruntled youths should stick with Batman. A dude who dresses up like a Bat and talks to his dead parents seems much more relatable to your average angst-ridden teen than an alien who stands for everything that's unanti-establishment, and flies around in his patriotic pajamas.
    signature image

Morrison is deliberately taking Superman back to his earliest incarnation, as hes tired of the whole "Superman = Jesus" holier than thou approach thats so popular. Hes basically doing the same thing Dennis O'Neil did back in 1969 with Batman.

I've just read the first three issues (31-33) in Marvel Masterworks Amazing Spider-Man, Volume 4. The three issues make up a story thats one of the most famous in Spidey's history and its freaking perfect.

A new gang is in town and they're pulling big heists, stealing radioactive and atomic equipment. Their leader is a mysterious man called The Master Planner. Spidey clashes with them a few times, but the real drama of the first issue is Peter's arrival at Empire State University. Its here that he meets Gwen Stacy and Harry Osborn, but before that Aunt May falls ill and has to be taken to the hospital! Distracted by her illness, Peter can't focus at school and unwittingly ignores Harry and Gwen's attempts to get to know him. Harry writes him off as a snob and bascially becomes Flash Thompson 2.0 (Flash is also around of course) and Gwen is intrigue by him because hes the first boy thats ever rejected her (ah, good old early installment weirdness). So right away Peter has three big balls to juggle and hes not doing any of them really well. It gets worse when its revealed that May's illness is because radiation somehow got in her blood. Peter realizes to his horror that its from a blood transfusion he gave her ages ago (I think it was in issue 6). Desperate, he turns to Doc Connors for help and its here that the main story really picks up. Peter pawns all of his science gear to pay for a very rare serum that can save Aunt May, but its stolen at the airport by the Master Planner's gang. This drives Peter over the edge, he goes absolutely berserk and goes Batman on every gang in town. When he finally gets to the Master Planner his fury allows him to defeat his gang with ease. Its then revealed that Doc Ock is the Master Planner! Ock has always been one of Spidey's more powerful enemies, but Spidey is so pissed that he defeats Ock rather easily. Unfortunately, their fight compromises the underground base and loads of heavy machinery caves in and pins Spidey as the room slowly fills with water. Now comes the single most famous moment in Spidey's history. Thinking about Aunt May, he musters up the strength to lift all of the machinery in a truly epic Steve Ditko splash page. He gets the serum, gets it to the hospital and Aunt May is saved. Theres a lot more in the three issues that I didn't mention but read it for yourself, its worth it.

The story's most famous scene was included in The Spectacular Spider-Man (along with a loose adaptation of the Master Planner arc). Its awesome.

Just read Maus. /10

(but seriously, 10/10)

Finished up the rest of the Masterworks volume.

After the first three issues it gets into a bit of a lull. Spidey fights Kraven but the issue has a huge focus on action and at this point in the story the woes of Peter Parker are actually more interesting than the (really badass) action scenes. Unfortunately, theres a big moment of anti-climax as Spidey literally just outslugs Kraven. Boring. After this he fights the Molten Man. This issue is a real low point because non of the subplots or supporting characters are really touched on, its just Spidey fighting Molten Man and beating him the same way he did before. Issue 36 picks up a bit. Spidey fights a dude named The Looter and its the goofiest story I've ever read. This wannabe scientist finds a meteorite, starts chiseling into it and hits a gas pocket. The gas gives him super strength and he starts robbing places. Then he realizes that if the powers ever wore off he'd be boned, so he goes to steal another of the exact same meteorite from a museum. This is the only real interesting bit in the story as Gwen Stacy features fairly heavily here. Shes still trying to get in Peter's pants but when he runs off to change into Spidey she thinks hes a coward. And once more, Spidey just outpunches the other guy. Another boring issue.

After these three flunkies it finally gets awesome again with issue 37. This one introduces Norman Osborn and Dr Stromm. Its basically about Stromm building robots to kill Osborn because Osborn lied to the police and had him falsely imprisoned for 10 years. This one is really meaty, a definite return to form and it gives us several clues that Norman is the Goblin (Ditko probably intended Norman to just be a red herring though).

Ditko's run ends with issue 38. Its not great. Its about some loser named Joe who accidentally gets super powers but also goes crazy. Spidey stops him, the guy gets offered a job in the movies, yackity schmackity. The real drama in this issue is Peter and Ned Leeds getting in a huge argument, with Peter even getting physical! Unfortunately its not enough to save the issue and Ditko's run unfortunately ends on a low note.

But thats not the end of the book! No, it ends with the first two issues of Jazzy John Romita's run! Even though John is impersonating Ditko (using the same 9-panel grid that inspired Watchmen, for instance) his style comes through. His figure work is more dynamic and rounder than Ditko's. Gwen Stacy gets the most notable facelift. Ditko's women were his low point but Romita instantly turns Gwen into a fox. His Spider-Man is more heroic looking and his Green Goblin isn't quite as scary looking. But he gives the book a clear, solid look thats very pleasing to the eye. These last two issues are a two-parter and they're a doozy. The Green Goblin returns yet again and this time he has a plan. He manages to disable Peter's spider sense and actually follows him home! Peter almost craps his pants when Gobby tells him he knows his secret. The two have a fight but Gobby wins and captures Peter. He takes him to his lair and reveals his true face: Norman Osborn! And so ends the 39th issue.

Ok, I knew Norman was Gobby. But reading these stories in their original context, its actually a bit of a letdown. Green Goblin has been Spidey's most cunning foe since his first appearance in Issue 14. Hes always escaped and the whole "he could be anyone" mystery angle just heightened his drama. To have 25 issues of buildup only to reveal Gobby is some guy introduced two issues ago... Not the most climactic reveal.

The 40th issue picks up immediately after, showing off the Goblin's origin: Norman Osborn is a greedy and manipulative man but nothing evil. He maintains that he and Harry had a great relationship but the flasbacks say otherwise, showing Harry to be continually disappointed by his father's distant nature (a nice bit of dissonance). Norman has Stromm locked up on false charges for some reason (can't remember, can't be fussed to look) and when going through his notes finds a serum. He makes it but it blows up in his face in a truly awesome panel. Hes in the hospital for weeks and he manages to pull through but with severe brain damage (no mention of him getting any superpowers, guess that technically makes it a retcon). Immediately after hes very cruel to Harry, belittling him and criticizing him. Very nasty stuff. He releases Peter from his bonds and demands a final fight on equal grounds. Spidey wins and Norman has amnesia, forgetting the Goblin ever existed. Spidey takes the costume and burns it, telling firefighters that Norman helped him defeat the Goblin (who perished in the fire). After this Norman promises Harry that things will be back to normal.

These two issues, though flawed, are really great. They were sort of an audition for me, to see if I could transition into Romita's work and move onto the fifth book. They've convinced me, I'm going for it.

As a whole, the volume is a bit of a mixed back. It opens and closes with two great storylines, but the material in between, save for one issue, is probably the weakest of the Lee/Ditko run. Because of this, I'd say its the weakest of the four Ditko Masterworks and give it an 8/10

My goodness, Batman #1 was incredible. A little more of an explanation:

Quite simply, the issue (which has a whopping 24 pages of story, only five less than Action #1 and without the benefit of a 40 page issue or 4 dollar price tag) touches on every major facet of Batman's character. In chronological order: The warrior, the partner, the loner, the engineer, the surrogate father, the philanthropist, the socialite and the detective. In addition to this Snyder introduces us to the major players through various means (the "Gotham Is" question being juxtaposed with attacking the various villains and the nifty remote bat computer gadget that identifies various characters). In essence, this is the perfect first Batman issue. It introduces everything without bogging the story down with exposition. It gives us a day in the life of Batman while ending with a cliffhanger that doesn't rely on graphic shock value. The only possible downside is Greg Capullo's art but thankfully its quite strong. I might have preferred a different inker, as the art is particularly scratchy and could use a little definition, but thats made up for by the very moody and groovy colouring. 10/10

Man that was so well said i'm even gonna rip off a part of that for my "thoughts and mumblings" post!

Red Hood & the Outlaws: Man is Scott Lodbell just being awesome, 1st the intriquing Superboy and now this hilariously good team book featuring Red Hood, Roy Harper and Starfire! Red Hood is looking for his own mercenery team who he believes have the same value as him: The world needs protection, but turning villains to prison isn't going to solve anything, but killing them, controlling them and making them truly fear death and thus these protagonists will, after all thats why Jason believes himself the better Batman. Gotham gets a single reference, but Jason's got bigger things in his mind than what Daddy Bruce is thinking. Starfire's character is the most interesting because either she has lost her memory and pretty much gone into an Alien, or she is depressed and is trying to ignore her past as a Titan and just trying to enjoy life, now you gotta remember Starfire's culture is more comfortable with sex and thus she's just enjoying sex. Both editors in Red Hood and the Outlaws are also women, so noone shold try to claim "DC disrespects women!" or something, because hey, it's just a culture shock for some darn readers haha. Still anyhow we learn new things about Jason's past as he was trained by some secret clan of warrior monks, i believe? Because we meet this new character callled "the Essence" she's a spiritual being who only Jason can see, and yeah Jason is very compassionate about the people he works with, he just doesn't see them as an means to an end, so yeah what i'm trying to say is that Jason isn't bothering to be a brooding emo, nah he has his vision and he has his team members to help him accomplish this, because the world needs less super villains and he has the answer: Shoot them in the head, booya. Anyhow the highlight of the book is the dialogue, the comedy that comes from the situations and especially the dialogue and the great art by Kenneth Rocafort, i'm definately on board for more of Jason's Outlaws.

Batman #1 Perfection! Perfection!! Even tho it covers less pages than Action Comics #1 which was the definate introduction to Superman, his world and showing how the Unstoppable Force meets the Immovable Object, we now have the perfect issue introducing any reader and any fan to the world of Batman in such an perfect way. This book delivers everything and it doesn't carry on trying to imitate Frank Miller to the slightest, tho i loved the little silhoutte of Joker's face that Capullo draws, i'm just always reminded of Miller's art because he is the master of silhouttes. This issue shows everything Batman stands for, you have the dark knight, the mastermind engineer who can build anything and doesn't rely on Lucious Fox, you have the father aspect with Bruce and his sons, we got the philantrophist who wants to spend millions on helping Gotham and it's future and the issue ends with the Detective Batman, this is everything Batman is and it's just so wonderful, Batman's the ultimate optimistic and you can see how that echoes from him defeating bad guys to giving a speech about Gotham's tomorrow, darn do i love to see a smiling Batman, it's just outrageous! I also love how the issue ends with 2 major things: Trust & Mystery, the Council of Owls are coming to get ye Batman!

Nightwing #1: Kyle Higgings is a relatively newcomer to comics mainstream and has already done a good story with Snyder in Gates of Gotham, so it's nice to see him fly solo and leap out as the writer of Nightwing, the dialogue is sharp and Eddy Barrows' art is just gorgeous to look at, however as i'm not a new comer to comics i've felt i've read a similiar story to this, because it's an introduction to Dick Grayson and ofcourse the Hayley Circus are on town, i've read so many stories where he meets the Circus before, but now there is an assassin after Dick Grayson and the issue ends with an alarming twist, so i'm definately going to check out #2 and i understand this was perfectly made for newcomers.

Wonder Woman #1: Diana, you are a true Amazon Warrior, you're no melodramatic actor or a silly hero in a cape, you go straight to business, you fight, you conquer and you save, you are the Woman of Wonders! Wonder Woman is a total professional from start to end as she fights Centaurs and protects a woman named Zola, we're introduced to 3 Gods in the issue that are Apollo, Hermes and Hera and they all got very unique designs and they truly are beyond human, they obviously have humanoid bodies, but for example Apollo is on fire when the sun rises, but is a black (literally black) skinned man during the night, Hera has a peacock bird theme going on and Hermes.... Well Hermes has chicken legs haha. It's a big setup to the theme of Wonder Woman vs. the Gods, as withouth spoiling some of the Gods wanna play the big man and thus a truly vile scheme is happening behind the scenes, it really feels like a greek Odyssey with the gods just being plain monsters to reach their goal and Wonder Woman is in the middle of it all, so yeah a great setup for whats more to come, which is going to be bloody and violent.

Thats my thought on the DC comics, i also really liked Nick Spencer's Ultimate X-Men #1 which provided a great setup, but a 22 comic shouldn't be a 3.99 comic Marvel, if you wanna switch to 20 page 2.99 make a darn honest announcement instead of 1st insulting DC comics and then behind the scenes changing things.

Don't forget the whole
    Miller reference.

Methinks I should have checked out Wonder Woman too.

Yeah Scott Snyder is a fan of the hardships Dick and Bruce endure from Batman Beyond to Miller's Batman. He feels that if Batman was near the dark side or at the dark side, it's not Superman who would stop him in some legendary clash of the titans, it would be Dick Grayson. So it's nice to see the trust between Bruce and Dick Grayson being the key emotion the Owl council is using to attack at Batman, it makes perfect sense for someone who has studied Batman. Tho once again the villain makes himself aware thru the daggers.

Page 33 of 37 First First ... 23293031323334353637 Last