Page 2 of 37 First First 12345612 ... Last

Thread: What comics/cartoons have you read/seen lately?

What comics/cartoons have you read/seen lately?

Originally Posted by jvini
    Reading Batman Beyond. It ain't as good as the original Batman series comics/cartoons but it's worth the read when you're bored as hell.
    Originally Posted by E.Nygma
    Currently reading "Gotham Adventures". It's not particularly good, except for a few unexpectedly well-written issues, but I'm having troubles finding good Batman comics that I haven't read already. Anyone can give tips to someone who enjoyed reading "Batman Black&White" and "Joker's Asylum"?
    In what trades are the comics-based-of-cartoons collected? If you two could help out a curious member like myself.

Today I read Arkham Asylum: Living Hell. Very good book. Art is okay, it tends to be a little lackluster on detail when it's minimizing things, could almost be called lazy, but sometimes it's good, mostly during close-up stuff. However the writing is gold, it's pretty good through almost the entire thing, there were only a tiny few parts that I didn't like and it mostly had to do with the change of theme nearing the end, but it wasn't enough to make or break the book, it's still really nice. I'd give it a solid 8/10.

Yeah Etrigan kinda makes the book non-only-Batman-fanbase book that can make people scratch their heads. I loved the conclusion with Whtie Shark's final quote.

I recently got Catwoman: When in Rome. If you love Dark Victory. This is an enjoyable 6-issue mini with some of the best Tim Sale art out there. Partly because the colorist did such a god damn awesome job. It pretty much continues the plot between Catwoman and the Falcone family.

Originally Posted by Drazar
    Yeah Etrigan kinda makes the book non-only-Batman-fanbase book that can make people scratch their heads. I loved the conclusion with Whtie Shark's final quote.

I recently got Catwoman: When in Rome. If you love Dark Victory. This is an enjoyable 6-issue mini with some of the best Tim Sale art out there. Partly because the colorist did such a god damn awesome job. It pretty much continues the plot between Catwoman and the Falcone family.
    That Catwoman book sounds really cool, and I'm a huge fan of Dark Victory, so I'll be looking forward to getting it soon.

As for Living Hell, initially I had mixed feelings towards the idea that very little would be seen of Batman or Gordon and Joker (the last one more or less), but it was kind of refreshing to put the spotlight on some new and supporting characters, I found the (IMO) main characters Aaron Cash and Warren White to be very likable, I also liked Humpty Dumpty and Jane Doe a lot. The only character who really got on my nerves at all was Doodlebug, he just seemed lame and a complete ass. The Etrigan part was oddly off-putting and seemed kind of like it was thrown in there for the sake of being there, but I'm glad they could find ways to make it work with the rest of the story, particularly

Anyhow, earlier today I just finished volume 1 of All-Star Batman & Robin. I'd heard horrid things about it for a long time, but some parts of it really interested me at the thought of it, so I just went ahead and picked it up. I'll say I had mixed feelings about it, I like Miller and all and pretty much all of his writing has grown on me which is why I picked it up in the first place (may even be convinced to pick up DKSA out of pure fanboyism).

However there were some times where I felt like it was almost being written by a totally different writer than that of Year One and DKR, one who was merely being an imitator, the dialogue was just begging to be allowed to have cuss words thrown in every second but being only scarcely allowed to slide by editors on account of it being a Batman comic and all.

I will say I thought the art was absolutely gorgeous and the bloody sequences (though mostly merely beatings and nothing too gory like Widening Gyre #1) were appropriately gruesome. Speaking of, I really liked
    Yet, I will say sometimes he crossed the line a lot, making me think he was nuts -- in the bad way...

I do like how Gotham was portrayed, again, the way I always saw it in my mind. I'm hoping the next volume whenever it is released will be more eventful and less random and such. I guess the "feel" of the book really won me over with an 8.5/10, but for any generic reader I'd say maybe 6.5/10 unless they're huge fans of Miller and/or an absolutely brutal incarnation of Batman.

Dick Grayson Age 12.

I have Knightfall Part 2 and I have too say, DC should have organized this a bit better. LIKE INCLUDING KNIGHTQUEST. I hope they make it and call it the Lost Chapters of Knightfall or smething like that.

Otherwise they're good reads and I reccomend them.
    HELP THE CAUSE! DONATE TO THE CHURCH OF RAZOR

I read Cataclysm recently. It was okay. I'm not very partial to huge ensembale cast Batman stories where Batman himself is hardly in it, and I'm not a fan of third person narration of Batman's thoughts, but it was pretty good. I liked the middle of the story where Batman kicked ass at Blackgate and all the parts with Batman in them were very enjoyable.
    Why does it seem like some people come on here JUST to piss and moan?

Originally Posted by DarkKnightReturns
    However there were some times where I felt like it was almost being written by a totally different writer than that of Year One and DKR, one who was merely being an imitator, the dialogue was just begging to be allowed to have cuss words thrown in every second but being only scarcely allowed to slide by editors on account of it being a Batman comic and all.
    Miller = Satire. The God Damn is a running joke. In #10 (not included in volume 1) Batgirl says "i'm the *** Batgirl!" which to me is rather realistic because teenagers do swear alot.

Yet, I will say sometimes he crossed the line a lot, making me think he was nuts -- in the bad way...

I do like how Gotham was portrayed, again, the way I always saw it in my mind. I'm hoping the next volume whenever it is released will be more eventful and less random and such. I guess the "feel" of the book really won me over with an 8.5/10, but for any generic reader I'd say maybe 6.5/10 unless they're huge fans of Miller and/or an absolutely brutal incarnation of Batman.
    Yes i like the portrayal of Gotham. It's a clean beatiful looking city, but so very rotten from the inside. Just like in The Dark Knight movie.

Why should a generic reader rate it lower? If they plan to buy an ELSEWORLD they better except it to be a different take. It's so childish to hate Frank Miller for his own Batman, which has it's own universe. It's not mainstream Batman so it's not like he's ruining the character or anything. He's developing and story telling his own Batman in his Miller-universe. People need to realize this.

Fact is that Miller is hugely popular, so ofcourse his elseworld gets more looked and when people see a different Batman, they just can't accept it even tho the whole point of Miller's Batman is to be Miller's pulp like Batman.

You don't see people hating Gotham by Gaslight where it's 19th century. You don't see people hating "The Doom that came to Gotham" which is about Batman in a cthulu influenced 19th century. And you don't see people complaining about the vampire Batman trilogy. Why?

Because those aren't written by as famous guy as Miller.

Originally Posted by TheCluemaster
    Dick Grayson Age 12.
    This ladies and gentlemen. The only real problem with All-Star Batman and Robin... besides the delays.

Joe Kelly's I Kill Giants started off pretty slow, but at the last chapter you just can't hold those tears.... Manly tears. =*(

Finally got around to reading batman cacophony, really enjoyed it until the end when Batman gets all sensitive about his relationship with Joker, I was like "who the is this pansy in Bat Pajamas?!" the only thing Batman needs to feel from the Joker is his fist connecting with his face. Weak sauce. I realize some people like Bruce to be a vulnerable, sensitive, emo man, not me no thanks. I enjoyed it until that though. Onomatopoeia is a great villain. The art was pretty lousy in it as well, particularly Batman.

Is anyone keeping up with The Widening Gyre? Is it good? I don't have time to keep up with issues since I "grew up" I wait for the novels.
    W.W.B.D. What Would Batman Do?

Widening Gyre is great. Art is abit better than the one you just read but the artist needs to do better work on the faces really. The GN is coming this fall and it's a enjoyable treat! It delves into Batman and his family (Dick, Tim, Silver, New Vigilante Smith created) and so forth. Good stuff.

Awesome!! I will allow myself to get excited then

Originally Posted by Matches Malone
    Awesome!! I will allow myself to get excited then
    Kevin Smith's writing is really sweet and it's nice to see Batman use bachelor slang... I mean the guy pretends to be a happy bachelor so why can't he use slang? Oh and i'm not talking slang like "for shizzle" but he talks about Tim Drake becoming too old for Robin and notes: He will pull a Nightwing soon.

Oh i hope i'm not spoiling too much. > Just some dialogue! Here's the details for the GN:
    BATMAN: THE WIDENING GYRE HC
    Writer: Kevin Smith
    Artists: Walt Flanagan and Art Thibert
    Collects: BATMAN: THE WIDENING GYRE #1-6
    $19.99, 176 pg

Coming September.

i actually skim alot of comics. From batman to green lantern to a lot of indie and manga stuff.

i think the last thing i actually read all the way through was... Ultimate Comics: Spider-man... and I hated it. Its really bad. The art styles just to... odd to me. Freakin Ultimatum in mah comics messin up my stories. (that is the reason it was relaunched right?)
    An Artist of Artistic Art

What do you mean? You check the stores quickly or what?

This ladies and gentlemen. The only real problem with All-Star Batman and Robin... besides the delays.
    I agree, I have found all star batman storyline amusing and a rather good read, not to mention Jim Lee's art work (which unfortunately is one of the main reasons as to what is holding up the rest of the series, as Jim Lee has admitted) And tying in others side stories such as Black Canary, Gordon and his wife, Batgirl etc was enjoyable too and added more layers which I like in a story.

But I would love too see in future issues maybe a flash forward to say 5 years give or take, just so we can see how batman and robin's relationship had evolved, therefore resolving at the sametime Robins age, which many fans seems to have a problem with, but to me
    I have no probs with it

Just finished reading Under the Hood AGAIN, all in prep for the new movie I really enjoy this story, as alreasy plays out like a film with its story pacing and story boards

And also have just finished Nightwing storyline
    And enjoyed that too, have wanted to read it for a few years now and can say it didnt disappoint, I say let that be the next direct to movie

Infact its amazing how many stories I have read and got, must go back through them and post some more

Batman & Robin All Star FTW completely, anyone who disagrees can go take a flying leap.

Widening Gyre is great. Art is abit better than the one you just read but the artist needs to do better work on the faces really. The GN is coming this fall and it's a enjoyable treat! It delves into Batman and his family (Dick, Tim, Silver, New Vigilante Smith created) and so forth. Good stuff.
    The art in the widening gyre is disgusting, I couldn't believe how horrible it was.
    It honestly looks like a 10 year old drew it.
    I hope to god he's not getting paid for the filth he's drawing.
    You've all got it wrong, it's 'I couldn't care less' not 'I could care less'.

Originally Posted by thebatman226
    The art in the widening gyre is disgusting, I couldn't believe how horrible it was.
    i think the art looks pretty good, not like a 10 year old would draw lol

Originally Posted by Bat_Fan
    i think the art looks pretty good, not like a 10 year old would draw lol
    I hope you're joking.

I hope you're joking.
    i don't not prefer it that much, buts its not that bad

If it's so bad, you can just stop buying the title if it so much disgusts you. I only found a problem in the faces, otherwise it's not a killer for me, but it is for you apparently.

If it's so bad, you can just stop buying the title if it so much disgusts you. I only found a problem in the faces, otherwise it's not a killer for me, but it is for you apparently.
    I don't buy it, never touched an issue of it in my life.

So you judge it based upon previews? Thats not much of an argument sir.

So you judge it based upon previews? Thats not much of an argument sir.
    I'm only commenting on the art.

"the art in widening gyre is disgusting" was your opinion based off previews alone, you've missed so much of the book that the opinion carries little weight. You haven't seen barely if any action sequences and so forth, yet you come here and state the art is disgusting. >_>

Page 2 of 37 First First 12345612 ... Last