Page 1 of 5 12345 Last

Thread: Is Batman gay?

Is Batman gay?

  1. #1

    Is Batman gay?

    Hi there not long ago I started a thread called Batman is totally Fabulous, and in it I said how great Batman is and how good it is that somebody is finally publishing a game around a gay character.

    You can find the thread here http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=99717

    Now as you will see a homophobic moderator for some reason took issue with my thread locking it and threatening me with a ban. What I would like to know what this ban would be for? Calling the sky blue? Batman is in fact a gay character.

    What is that you say? Batman isnt gay? Im sorry fella but I think this (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Batbed.png) says otherwise.

    Psychologist Fredric Wertham even had this to say about Batman, "Batman stories are psychologically homosexual. Only someone ignorant of the fundamentals of psychiatry and of the psychopathology of sex can fail to realize a subtle atmosphere of homoeroticism which pervades the adventures of the mature 'Batman' and his young friend 'Robin.'"

    Even authors of the Batman comic books have admitted that Batman is a gay character. Frank Miller (He also wrote Sin City and 300 (which is also very homoerotic)) has described the relationship between Batman and the Joker as a "homophobic nightmare" and has said that he views the character as sublimating his sexual urges into crime fighting, concluding, "He'd be much healthier if he were openly gay."

    Besides how is it that most men fall victim to Poison Ivy's charms yet Batman is totally unnafected? Not even Wonder Woman can seduce Batman as shown in this clip http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8w6khbl-uXw.

    Face it Batman is gay and totally fabulous.

  2. #2
    I disagree.

    How would you explain his relationships with Vickie Vale? Selina Kyle? Talia al Ghul?

    Accusing Batman of having an interest in the younger Robin is pretty messed up considering the age difference.

    Speaking of messed up, Frank Miller is a messed up guy and his version of Batman is independent to the definitive Batman. Frankly, I'm not a fan of Frank although I know he is widely acclaimed. He didn't create Batman either, in case you forgot.

    Joker has been portrayed as a homosexual before too but most of the time he's shown with his girlfriend Harley. No one is calling him a gay character though.

    Poison Ivy uses pheromones to attract people so I'm guessing Batman's suit makes him a little immune since he knows that, and she is a green homicidal half plant lady so I'm pretty sure he'll resist her charm using will power anyway.

    The whole Batman is gay argument is weak and based on psychological theories that are not proven. There is more evidence of Batman being heterosexual, or a person unconcerned with sexuality, than there is of him being gay. People like you need to stop reading so much into psychological reports and focus on the actual content.

    Batman: Arkham Asylum has not a single gay moment.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    7,632
    It's gotta be some sort of syndrome to fixate on relationships between men and believe it is homosexuality, waving the concept around like it's a political victory, when it's malformed tunnel vision at best.

    Frodo and Samwise
    Kirk and Spock
    Bert and Ernie
    Batman and Robin

  4. #4
    Originally Posted by Gandalf-the-Fabulous
    Now as you will see a homophobic moderator for some reason took issue with my thread locking it and threatening me with a ban. What I would like to know what this ban would be for? Calling the sky blue? Batman is in fact a gay character.
    I doubt they're homophobic. You also couldn't really be more wrong. I have little to say to this since, as a psychologist, I get very bored very quickly when people start quoting silly people to back up silly arguments. People get offended when you call a character gay who is not meant to be portrayed as gay. Mostly because it's an insult, no matter how modern or pc you wanna get, to question someone's sexuality. You want to be gay, be my guest, I don't care. Just don't try to label one of my favourite characters as the same when he blatently isn't. If you want a homosexual character, look to the current Question, Montoya. Many praise this character adding that little bit for the LGB community. Personally, I still miss Vic and the writing which showed us that Denny had tremendous talent even before he'd written Batman and come to everyone else's attention.

    Many psychologists will agree we can dismiss most of what Fredric Wertham says before he even says it. The man is an idiot. Even more so can we dismiss the ramblings of Frank Miller's descent into schizophrenia considering how he seems to have tried to turn Batman into a paedophile in the dreadful all-star Batman and Robin. (Dick Grayson, aged 12. I've had my eye on him for a while. I have an eye for talent. *shudders*) Don't even get me started on The Dark Knight Strikes again. Now that we've dismissed all that nonsense, one last thing remains.... how does batsy manage to avoid Wonder Woman's seduction? Perhaps you should watch the rest of that episode for a start and you'll see he does have feelings for her. Secondly, watch the rest of the series to see how he's portrayed as a brooding, unhappy, serious loner who has great trouble getting in touch with his own feelings.

    In conclusion. Read more, watch more, learn the character and stop using false logic, irrelevant nonsense, rubbish quotes taken out of context and just generally being a WUM.
    I thought you realised that aftershave was meant to sting?

  5. #5
    I really love how everyone is being civil since this guy is obviously a troll.

    I do want to add, however, that any time there is a partnership between two guys psychiatrists and wannabe psychiatrists ALWAYS insist that there are underlying tones of homo-eroticism. So I usually throw that argument out the window. Which is a lot like what jtr7 said.
    Xbox Live GT: Angel ManFreddy PS3 Username: Angel_ManFreddy
    www.myspace.com/willscrazylaugh

  6. #6
    Originally Posted by jtr7
    It's gotta be some sort of syndrome to fixate on relationships between men and believe it is homosexuality, waving the concept around like it's a political victory, when it's malformed tunnel vision at best.

    Frodo and Samwise
    Kirk and Spock
    Batman and Robin
    Hmm I dont know about Frodo and Samwise (Samwise at least, he did get married you know (But then again so did Elton John )) But Gandalf and Frodo definately.

    In the movies there was definately a gay vibe, you cant tell me Gandalf diddnt have a thing for male midgets. Also it doesnt help that the man who played Gandalf is actually gay himself.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,994
    Haha yes, I am extremely homophobic.

    Despite the fact I have friends who are homosexual, yup - I'm a homophobe...
    Personally I'm straight, and If people decide they wish to orientate otherwise - I really don't mind, I'm not a judgemental person or a prejudice person at that.
    So calling me homophobic for closing your trollish toned thread is, well - a bit silly.

    Some of you seem to actually want to discuss these points, so I'll keep it open and see how it goes. Seeing as you're adamant this isn't trolling...

    Edit: Let me rephrase that. Your original topic sounded very trollish and as though you were making a joke, however with this thread you are being a little more sensible in your approach - although you probably still are trying to poke fun at the character. But you seem to raise points and others seem to want to discuss this - So i'll keep it open for the time being.

  8. #8
    As SammiiDoogles explained, there was no homophobia in closing the thread you opened before, Gandalf-the-Fabulous. Equal threatment would have been used with an equally silly thread discussing Poison Ivy's body qualities, if it was approached in the same way you did with your thread. It definitely looked like a trolling attempt. Well, it still does, to me.
    Also, you posted it in the wrong section of the forum, too. :P

    About the "gay Batman" thing, I personally don't see him as such, but then again, we're speaking about a character who changes quite a lot depending on the writer, so Batman may have probably been homosexual in some of the comics.
    Nightwing, now, he's another thing.... he just looks..... well, I do wonder why he has a girlfriend.
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    "You can't be disgusted by spiderwebs! You're Batman!"

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    6,831
    What is that you say? Batman isnt gay? Im sorry fella but I think this (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Batbed.png) says otherwise.
    If you're an adoptive father and your child wants to sleep next to you who happens to be around 10 years, does that make you a pedophile or homosexual? Not at all. Bruce is a adoptive father to Grayson.

    Psychologist Fredric Wertham even had this to say about Batman, "Batman stories are psychologically homosexual. Only someone ignorant of the fundamentals of psychiatry and of the psychopathology of sex can fail to realize a subtle atmosphere of homoeroticism which pervades the adventures of the mature 'Batman' and his young friend 'Robin.'"
    This guy tried to take the blame from parents into comics, just like modern society blames video games for school shootings and violence.

    Even authors of the Batman comic books have admitted that Batman is a gay character. Frank Miller (He also wrote Sin City and 300 (which is also very homoerotic)) has described the relationship between Batman and the Joker as a "homophobic nightmare" and has said that he views the character as sublimating his sexual urges into crime fighting, concluding, "He'd be much healthier if he were openly gay."
    That doesn't mean writers have written Batman gay, not at all. Batman is determined in his quest and Miller has said that his Batman takes all the sexual frust by doing crime fightning, then he noted that things could very well be easier if he was indeed gay, but he isn't as he hasn't been written as one.

  10. #10
    Quite frankly,I find every one of his points invalid.

    For example here's his first try:



    look closely at the headboard and you'll see that it's two seperate beds!

    Secondly,Fredric Wertham is the same man who tried to blame juvenile delinquency on comic books, and in some ways,succeeded as after his little "crusade on comics," the comics code autority was formed.If this continued,we probably wouldn't have groundbreaking titles such as Watchmen and the Killing Joke

    Originally Posted by Gandalf-the-Fabulous
    Even authors of the Batman comic books have admitted that Batman is a gay character. Frank Miller (He also wrote Sin City and 300 (which is also very homoerotic)) has described the relationship between Batman and the Joker as a "homophobic nightmare" and has said that he views the character as sublimating his sexual urges into crime fighting, concluding, "He'd be much healthier if he were openly gay."
    This is the same Frank Miller who
    signature image

  11. #11
    portrayed the joker as a flaming homosexual(is that pc?) and a yakuza member having one night stands with women in another?

    Originally Posted by Gandalf-the-Fabulous
    Besides how is it that most men fall victim to Poison Ivy's charms yet Batman is totally unnafected? Not even Wonder Woman can seduce Batman as shown in this clip http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8w6khbl-uXw.
    I see your Justice League and raise you one Superman:

    signature image

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    6,831
    The justice league clip is part of the DCAU and what was Batman doing in Batman Beyond? He had pictures of all the women he loved from Selina to Talia al ghul. :P No pictures of the Robins or Superman.

  13. #13
    I agree with all of the ones who say he has to many girls. I mean, have you seen the Drak Knight?! He had three women with him at the party, and that one was his date to the restaraunt where Harvey Dent and Rachel were. Remember? Batman is a all-out ladies man, if anybodys gay in the batman universe (Robin) it sure ain't Bats.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    6,831
    How is Robin gay now? Just because it's a popular joke to mock Batman & Robin as gay, doesn't mean Robin is the only gay hero because he has green, yellow, red and black on his costume. I mean Wolverine wears Yellow and Blue, does that make him gay? What about Miracleman? What about Joker? Honestly now.

    The only homosexual character in the Batfamily right now happens to be Kathy Kane.

  15. #15
    Batman's kinda beyond sex. This aspect of his character was highlighted by Rorschach, who is either an asexual or a very repressed homosexual.
    "Sleep? That bed is a coffin and those are winding sheets. I do not sleep I die." - Captain Ahab

  16. #16
    Originally Posted by Drazar
    How is Robin gay now? Just because it's a popular joke to mock Batman & Robin as gay, doesn't mean Robin is the only gay hero because he has green, yellow, red and black on his costume. I mean Wolverine wears Yellow and Blue, does that make him gay? What about Miracleman? What about Joker? Honestly now.

    The only homosexual character in the Batfamily right now happens to be Kathy Kane.
    Only a joke, no worries, lol. I actually think Robin is cool, I just thought it would be something to say to calm the mood.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    6,831
    Originally Posted by kain9998
    Only a joke, no worries, lol. I actually think Robin is cool, I just thought it would be something to say to calm the mood.
    Noone jokes about my Robin!!!!1

  18. #18
    Originally Posted by Drazar
    Noone jokes about my Robin!!!!1
    YOUR Robin? lol. And Joker wears make-up, of course people are gonna joke about him. lmao.

  19. #19
    Yeah Robin is Drazar's er.....slave
    HELP THE CAUSE! DONATE TO THE CHURCH OF RAZOR

  20. #20
    Originally Posted by TheCluemaster
    Yeah Robin is Drazar's er.....slave
    And all this time I thought he was Batman's slave...oh wait thats Alfred. I need to stop with the jokes, lol.

  21. #21
    And you are my slave!
    HELP THE CAUSE! DONATE TO THE CHURCH OF RAZOR

  22. #22
    here's the thing... batman, as a character, is shown... asexual, i guess you could say? bruce, is either an asexual, like his alter ego, or very straight. that pic you used, well, he IS his adoptive father. and to say bats is gay because of that pic? you might as well call him a pedophile.
    Wait 'til they get a load of me!
    music avatar of the month: Nine Inch Nails, The Slip

  23. #23
    Originally Posted by TheCluemaster
    And you are my slave!
    REALLY?!

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    6,831
    This thread got kinky.

  25. #25
    Batman is not gay. 'Nough said.
    Happiness is an illusion. Suffering is real.

Page 1 of 5 12345 Last