Thread: Nosgoth Comic Petition - Your help is needed

Nosgoth Comic Petition - Your help is needed

Nosgoth Comic Petition - Your help is needed

-------------------
    I've had to sit on these beauties for a while now but finally I can showcase off something I've been earnestly working to try and make a reality. A tie in comic series for 'Nosgoth' - an attempt to ensure that the Legacy of Kain tradition of strong character driven narrative is unbroken.

Below is a small promo and story hook written by myself, drawn by the superbly talented Evan Stanley of Archie Comics and pitched to the Square Enix staff as a tie in story. The intent of this in relation to the game is simple. The comic can help conceptually develop new additions to the game. If concepts are good enough and are wanted by large sections of the fans then they can be put into the game itself.

Currently me and my small group of fans, artists and writers and liaising with the development team about making this project a reality but we need your help to drum up support. If you want this comic or something similar to become an official reality then please go to this petition and sign it! We need as many supporters as we can.

SIGN>>>>> https://www.change.org/en-GB/petitio...in-multiplayer <<<<<<SIGN

Last edited by CountEyokir; 6th Mar 2014 at 22:16.

Nice effort. I wouldn´t go for it being official though (neither did the Spirit Noir comics project). As a fan comic it´s fine, but not really sure why a petition is needed since you can make it without it.

Originally Posted by RainaAudron
    Nice effort. I wouldn´t go for it being official though (neither did the Spirit Noir comics project). As a fan comic it´s fine, but not really sure why a petition is needed since you can make it without it.
    The aim of this has always been official standing. I wouldn't need to chatting with the development team about making a fan comic I could just post it on Deviantart. This is to give the fans disappointed by Nosgoth's lack of classic character driven narrative something to enjoy.

The problem is that why should your story be made canon and not others? I don´t think everybody will agree with that. Then anybody can demand his/her story to be canon and have a petition. There should always be a line between fan fiction and canon provided by the developers.

The problem is that why should your story be made canon and not others? I don´t think everybody will agree with that. Then anybody can demand his/her story to be canon and have a petition. There should always be a line between fan fiction and canon provided by the developers.
    This concept and character idea is a pitch to the developers, along with the idea of a comic tie in series. For the moment its very a basic model for a series to launch off of. Tie in novels and comics for other games franchises have to do exactly the same thing. They start off at fanfiction level authenticity until given the green light.

That's the Spirit Forge chamber from Defiance in those artworks, if I'm not mistaken. History finds the path of least resistance, and thus shouldn't it be long since buried and inaccessible by the time of Kain's empire?
    "A return to Nosgoth is not necessarily always welcome: only the attainment of that final gnosis will satisfy us." – Sam Zucchi

I did sign it even though I dont know anything about LoK
    But the Idea is nice.

Good point Joseph, I´ve thought the whole Citadel got pulled under and destroyed after Elder Kain left (I think Daniel said that the Elder strategically pulled down entire cities like the Lost City and Citadel).

I agree on this.

And not to sound like a jerk, but i wasn't very intrigued by the story idea.

Originally Posted by ParadoxicalOmen
    I agree on this.

And not to sound like a jerk, but i wasn't very intrigued by the story idea.
    Canon = official story?
    I do think that every story most have a chance, but it has to fit the LoK lore etc and because I dont know balls yet about this Lore I just gave him my signature. Because someone asked me to.

Yes, canon = official.

Well, mate...you are free to sign the petition if you liked it, there is nothing wrong with that. I, personally, didn't like it very much.

Watched the trailer, looked at the illustrations. Your story idea intrigued me enough to sign.

What you see here is a promo - a four page story pitch. It is certainly NOT the final product. I am fully aware that the spirit forge was not available at this time and certainly not in this good a condition. These pages exist as a story hook and to showcase our artists skill. This origin story would certainly be done again with greater detail.

This isn't a piece of fanfiction I've been wanting to make canon. I proposed the concept of a comic tie in and then came up with this directly as a pitch to fulfil that need. It was created especially FOR this.

If you want to keep a line between canon and fanfiction then that's fine but there have been comic and novel tie ins for many, many games series, such as the Elder Scrolls novels or the assassins Creed comics. Their producers pitch the ideas first. If they are not accepted then their work remains at fanfiction level. Under such logic there should never be any attempts to make comic or novel tie ins for any game series if the creators were fans. Because it would be a fan producing fiction.

I would also like to point out that the petition is for a Nosgoth comic tie in - not my work specifically. (That would have been very vainglorious of me) If you don't like my pitch, that's fine - but if you like the idea of a comic tie in for the game anyway, then sign it. Its entirely possible that they will make a comic but not accept my pitch.
    Last edited by CountEyokir; 5th Mar 2014 at 08:28.

Originally Posted by CountEyokir

This isn't a piece of fanfiction I've been wanting to make canon. I proposed the concept of a comic tie in and then came up with this directly as a pitch to fulfil that need. It was created especially FOR this.

(...)

I would also like to point out that the petition is for a Nosgoth comic tie in - not my work specifically. (That would have been very vainglorious of me) If you don't like my pitch, that's fine - but if you like the idea of a comic tie in for the game anyway, then sign it. Its entirely possible that they will make a comic but not accept my pitch.
    Oh, this changes everything.
    Sorry, i misunderstood the purpose of your petition. Of course i want an official Legacy of Kain comic

The only (official) ones we have so far are: http://legacyofkain.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Comics
    I would really like something in the artistic quality of the Soul Reaver promo.

Oh, it wasn´t clear from your post, sorry. I personally am looking forward to Spirit Noir project .

Not a problem. I truly think some sort of effort along these lines will serve both the Lok series in general and Nosgoth itself immensely.

You know my view - I'd love to see a comic or series of comics for LoK/Nosgoth.
    I'm dying to see the blog entries as comics...I think I'd might just die ...in a good way of course!

EDIT: If SE did decide to release a comic and went for an electronic series rather than paper – it would be great if it was released on something along the lines of ComiXology to make it more official rather than just on the website/blogs.
    Last edited by lucinvampire; 6th Mar 2014 at 15:06.

Originally Posted by lucinvampire
    You know my view - I'd love to see a comic or series of comics for LoK/Nosgoth.
    I'm dying to see the blog entries as comics...I think I'd might just die ...in a good way of course!

EDIT: If SE did decide to release a comic and went for an electronic series rather than paper – it would be great if it was released on something along the lines of ComiXology to make it more official rather than just on the website/blogs.
    Having the comic available for electronic download would certainly be in the works if this went head I think, As for doing comics of the blog posts...well since they're not about a single set of characters but rather the history of a faction that might be a little harder - but certainly their content can be explored through a protagonist doing faction to faction

Currently me and my small group of fans, artists and writers and liaising with the development team about making this project a reality but we need your help to drum up support. If you want this comic to become an official reality then please go to this petition and sign it! We need as many supporters as we can.
    You seem to contradict yourself a bit there. Now, I'm not against a comic tie in, in fact I was for it when it's been brought up in the past. But I have a problem with using a petition. If you want to pitch a story to SE while trying to enrich the Nosgoth experience then let you work speak for itself and wow the pants off of the people at SE, but using a petition seems somewhat misleading.

As far as your project is concerned though, I honestly can't get behind a project of someone who had such a close minded view of Nosgoth when it was announced. Sure, you might respond with "that's an outdated video, my opinions have changed," but I serious can't get behind someone who belittles the projects of others without even experiencing them first. That's just my own personal rule as a fellow artist.

That aside, the art seems fine and I'm always for adding more strong female leads to works of fiction.

Originally Posted by TendrilSavant
    You seem to contradict yourself a bit there. Now, I'm not against a comic tie in, in fact I was for it when it's been brought up in the past. But I have a problem with using a petition. If you want to pitch a story to SE while trying to enrich the Nosgoth experience then let you work speak for itself and wow the pants off of the people at SE, but using a petition seems somewhat misleading.

Alright - kudos on that one. I ought to have typed out my opening statement a little better. As for the petition - its not misleading. This is all I can do to drum up support for a comic of ANY kind and in truth the petition was not my original idea. I wish I could just turn up to SE's doors with the greatest thing since sliced bread and have them so awed they throw money at me but that's not the way it works. We need supporters to convince the powers that be that a comic of any kind is a good investment and that means invested, showable interest.

As far as your project is concerned though, I honestly can't get behind a project of someone who had such a close minded view of Nosgoth when it was announced. Sure, you might respond with "that's an outdated video, my opinions have changed," but I serious can't get behind someone who belittles the projects of others without even experiencing them first. That's just my own personal rule as a fellow artist.
    Now hold up there, I'm going to vastly dispute this one because I think you're dead wrong. First off - yes I was annoyed. Legacy of Kain was something I was very passionate about and to see a multiplayer based on it seemed to violate its point for me. That may just be been the opinion of about 70% of the fanbase at the time. I certainty wasn't the only one to produce an impressions video decrying the idea.
    You're going to criticise me for saying I didn't like the look of Nosgoth when it was first announced? That I found a lot of the presented material wildly out of place? When large amounts of fans agreed with at least some of that sentiment, which is why we now get evolved skins which are more to our liking? Are people who post initial impression videos forever banned from producing art because they state their opinions openly and perhaps might have a more complex opinion later?
    But hey - when I'm wrong, I'm wrong and I'm big enough to admit it. Nosgoth isn't he ip milker it seemed to be at first glance. But you ought take that as a mark in the games favour that it changed my mind enough for me to want to push for a comic tie in.

That aside, the art seems fine and I'm always for adding more strong female leads to works of fiction.
    Thank you, that was the intent
    Last edited by CountEyokir; 6th Mar 2014 at 22:54.

Now hold up there, I'm going to vastly dispute this one because I think you're dead wrong. First off - yes I was annoyed. Legacy of Kain was something I was very passionate about and to see a multiplayer based on it seemed to violate its point for me. That may just be been the opinion of about 70% of the fanbase at the time. I certainty wasn't the only one to produce an impressions video decrying the idea.
    The negative response was expected. Whenever there's changes to a franchise many who are against the change will voice their opinions, just look at the recent reaction to Sonic's new look. You say you're a free lance writer; so I would expect you to understand the creative process and that criticizing, not critiquing, a work in progress helps no one.

You're going to criticise me for saying I didn't like the look of Nosgoth when it was first announced? That I found a lot of the presented material wildly out of place? When large amounts of fans agreed with at least some of that sentiment, which is why we now get evolved skins which are more to our liking? Are people who post initial impression videos forever banned from producing art because they state their opinions openly and perhaps might have a more complex opinion later?
    I never said that you should be banned from producing art, just that I personally can't support your petition (and what's 1 less signature on your petition anyway?) because of my ideals. I'd also like to reiterate that if you could wow SE with your pitch, then all the more power to you. I just don't see the need to add a petition. I probably wouldn't have even made a comment if you hadn't attached a petition.

But hey - when I'm wrong, I'm wrong and I'm big enough to admit it. Nosgoth isn't he ip milker it seemed to be at first glance. But you ought take that as a mark in the games favour that it changed my mind enough for me to want to push for a comic tie in.
    It's good that the game has changed your mind, and a comic book tie in would be great for this game if done right. And if you and your associates can produce such a work, then go for it.

It's good that the game has changed your mind, and a comic book tie in would be great for this game if done right. And if you and your associates can produce such a work, then go for it.
    We intend to. We hit 200 signatures this morning but we need tons more.