Thread: PS3 owners: please help your fellow raiders out!

Exclamation PS3 owners: please help your fellow raiders out!

Hey guys.

Once in a while someone who has the PS3 version of TRU comes here to ask for help. Sometimes there is no fix, and we advise them to restart the game or reload a savegame. Since lots of gamers don't make saves in different slots nowadays, I usually refer them to Stella's site to download a PS3 savegame. Most of them don't report back.

One member recently did, and pointed out that it is not possible to use PS3 saves that were made on a different profile, therefore making those savegames useless!

Is this true?

I think we can all benefit if you guys could simply answer this question. Stella is interested as well of course, since the saves (which could be useless?) are on her site.

Thank you for your help.
    signature image

I've talked with Love2Raid about this a bit and came up with one theory. However, I don't own a PlayStation, so I can't test it myself.

I've had various PS3 saves up on my site for people to download since shortly after the game came out, but this problem only surfaced recently. I suspect it has to do with the PS3 patch for trophy support. It may be that the saves were transferable before but the patch also does something to lock the saves to the profile so people can't use other players' saves to unlock trophies. This is how Xbox 360 saves work; you can back them up but not transfer them between accounts.

I wonder if it would be possible for people who get stuck with one of the major bugs—Midgard Serpent ramp problem, etc.—to delete all their saved content including the trophy patch, restart the game OFFLINE and install a downloaded save to bypass the bug. Then, the next time they start the game online, they'd get the trophy patch.

Edit: It may not matter if the only other alternative is to restart the game, but I guess I should stress that people back up their files on a memory card before deleting anything. Please don't blame me for lost data.

Again, I don't have a PS3, so this is all just theoretical. I welcome other ideas.
    Tomb Raider Help & Walkthroughs at tombraiders.net

A quick update: One player so far has confirmed that the strategy I suggested above does work. I hope it will be helpful for others too. In any case, it's probably at least worth trying if the only other alternative is to restart the game.

A second PS3 player has confirmed that this works, so I think we're in business. Simon says:

...by using your method today, deleting all previous remnants
    of Underworld from the save data, switching off the internet connection,
    starting the game up without downloading any new patches, I was able to
    load a save game file, and then straight away to make a new save game
    file for my user profile....

I then re-instated the internet connection, restarted the game, and
    allowed the TRU patch to install. and then...hey presto...my new save
    game file worked.

...Interestingly, as soon as the patch is re-installed, the alternate
    save game file that was used, becomes locked again, so it is required
    to make a save game file of your own, after the loading of the 'other
    user file', and before re-installing the game patch.

Again, I hope this is helpful to any PlayStation 3 players stuck in the Remnants level in Thailand, the Midgard Serpent or Land of the Dead in Mexico, or any other buggy location in Underworld.

Should you need PS3 save files, I have a small collection at http://tombraiders.net/stella/savegame/TR8saves.html.

Thank you so much.

I abandoned TRU when I encountered the Midgard Serpent bug over a year ago.

I have a google alert set up in the hope that a patch would would be released but this never happened. However that alert picked up your post today and the solution worked fine for me.

Stella, I could collaborate with NTSC PS3 TRU saves - uninstalling the trophy patch etc. Are you looking for certain specifics? Just drop me a note, I'd be willing to go through a new playthrough to create savegames.

Quote Originally Posted by stellalune View Post
    A second PS3 player has confirmed that this works, so I think we're in business. Simon says:

...by using your method today, deleting all previous remnants
    of Underworld from the save data, switching off the internet connection,
    starting the game up without downloading any new patches, I was able to
    load a save game file, and then straight away to make a new save game
    file for my user profile....

I then re-instated the internet connection, restarted the game, and
    allowed the TRU patch to install. and then...hey presto...my new save
    game file worked.

...Interestingly, as soon as the patch is re-installed, the alternate
    save game file that was used, becomes locked again, so it is required
    to make a save game file of your own, after the loading of the 'other
    user file', and before re-installing the game patch.

Again, I hope this is helpful to any PlayStation 3 players stuck in the Remnants level in Thailand, the Midgard Serpent or Land of the Dead in Mexico, or any other buggy location in Underworld.

Should you need PS3 save files, I have a small collection at http://tombraiders.net/stella/savegame/TR8saves.html.
    Quote Originally Posted by leah View Post
    Thank you so much.

I abandoned TRU when I encountered the Midgard Serpent bug over a year ago.

I have a google alert set up in the hope that a patch would would be released but this never happened. However that alert picked up your post today and the solution worked fine for me.
    Great news!

Finally we have a solution to this problem.
    So it really was the patch.

It will be a lot easier to help people who get this problem in the future.
    signature image

Quote Originally Posted by Treeble View Post
    Stella, I could collaborate with NTSC PS3 TRU saves - uninstalling the trophy patch etc. Are you looking for certain specifics? Just drop me a note, I'd be willing to go through a new playthrough to create savegames.
    Thanks so much! I just emailed.

please help!!!!!

ok i keep trying what you guys are saying and it still says it cant load because its owned by another user... i deleted all the tomb raider files in the save game data, than copied a saved game off of a memory stick onto the ps3.. than i went to load it in the game and it still doesnt work!!!!! if anyone can give me step by steps youd be saving me BIG TIME!

Quote Originally Posted by chc187 View Post
    ok i keep trying what you guys are saying and it still says it cant load because its owned by another user... i deleted all the tomb raider files in the save game data, than copied a saved game off of a memory stick onto the ps3.. than i went to load it in the game and it still doesnt work!!!!! if anyone can give me step by steps youd be saving me BIG TIME!
    NEVERMIND I FIGURED IT OUT!

how do you go offline on ps3??
    im playing this game and already deleted the previous saves , and backed the patch up.
    PLEASE HELP!!