Thread: Steam Version of the Game keeps freezing!

Steam Version of the Game keeps freezing!

Steam Version of the Game keeps freezing!

Hiya folks,

I have bought Mini Ninjas as part of the Eidos Collectors Pack via Steam, but am currently unable to even get past the main menu.

This does not appear to be the common 4sec lag problem, as my game seems to freeze in random intervals and with random duration. Sometimes I get to choose a picture for my profile without a single freeze and sometimes it freezes three times before I get there.

Compatibility mode, run as admin, etc have shown no improvement whatsoever.

My system:
    Phenom II X3 720BE
    4GB RAM
    HD4870 512MB
    Win 7 x64

Is there anything I could do other than "unplug keyboard and mouse"?

Oh... and the fact that a game published in 2009 was "not designed with Windows 7 in mind" and thus there'll be no support for such users... you can't be serious.

There won't be official support for Windows 7 users but that doesn't mean forum ninjas (like myself) wont be willing to help you out.

You say you have a freezing issue? Have you tried dual-booting Windows XP/Vista and running the game on that OS instead? If that isn't possible try contacting the Steam support people as it could be an issue with the Steam version as this problem hasn't been reported before:

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_...1223-QROC-4460

Also make sure your drivers are upto date and make sure any programs running in the background (like a virus scanner which can sometimes cause problems) are temporarily closed/disabled.

Much appreciated, thank you.

Yes, I have tried running it under Win XP SP3 x86 (ie 32bit) and had the same problem, which might indicate that it is indeed a fault with the steam version. But contacting Steam about this problem would not work, would it? They are not the developers and therefore can't patch the game or do anything else about it...

To describe the problem a bit more accurately:

The grass in the menu background is supposed to be moving all the time, but keeps freezing every once in a while for a random duration, then unfreezes again and so on... the sound, however, is completely unaffected by that, the background music keeps playing without lagging, freezing, jumping, etc... While the grass isn't moving the game isn't accepting any input commands either.

The drivers are all up to date, the game itself installed a DirectX Upgrade, so I'm at a loss here... it doesn't seem there would be much else I could do to try and fix it.
    And besides, every other game, be it an old or new one, works absolutely fine, including every Steam Game that I have installed.

Update:

Now it is getting ridiculous... Kane & Lynch has the exakt same bug as Mini Ninjas... and guess what they have in common? Right, the same Developer!

And it keeps getting better... apparently, this bug is caused by having a USB connected keyboard with built-in volume controls. That is at least what google showed up for Kane & Lynch... so indeed, unplugging my keyboard works as far as stopping the game from freezing, but... come on, IO Interactive, are you guys serious? Not only is Kane & Lynch from '07 and still hasn't received a fix for this apparently well known bug, no; you even managed to have the same bug in Mini Ninjas... that is really, really weak. And pretty annoying, as I have now bought two of your games which are effectively unplayable because of this fairly old bug.

Originally Posted by HMorisson
    Much appreciated, thank you.
    But contacting Steam about this problem would not work, would it? They are not the developers and therefore can't patch the game or do anything else about it...

Now it is getting ridiculous... Kane & Lynch has the exakt same bug as Mini Ninjas... and guess what they have in common? Right, the same Developer!

And it keeps getting better... apparently, this bug is caused by having a USB connected keyboard with built-in volume controls. That is at least what google showed up for Kane & Lynch... so indeed, unplugging my keyboard works as far as stopping the game from freezing, but... come on, IO Interactive, are you guys serious? Not only is Kane & Lynch from '07 and still hasn't received a fix for this apparently well known bug, no; you even managed to have the same bug in Mini Ninjas... that is really, really weak. And pretty annoying, as I have now bought two of your games which are effectively unplayable because of this fairly old bug.
    Steam people won't be able to patch the game but if it a problem with the Steam version I would expect them to investigate further and if indeed there was a problem then it would have to be removed of their service and a working version should be put in in replacement. I would contact them as there is a chance you might get some support and it's not like you'll loose a limb doing so.

I also agree with your last point. It seems that the Mini Ninjas team did not bother to fix this issue. I hope that Kane & Lynch 2 does not have this same problem. But there are multiple teams at IO Interactive and multiple games being produced. Obviously budgets and deadlines must also be met so I think it would be unfair to criticise the whole of IOI for one issues left in the game by a few programmers. But yes - this issues should be fixed ASAP. If you want to, you can always e-mail them personally and tell them of your issue:

ioi@ioi.dk

Thanks for the mail adress, I think I will give them a piece of my mind about this.

Anyhow, there is apparently another workaround apart from having to unplug your USB keyboard.
    Disabling the two "HID"-entries in the Device Manager that weren't connected to my gamepad and mouse seems to have done the trick.

So if anyone does encounter the same problem, try this solution and see if it works for you.

Good to see your problem has been solved. . If you don't mind, would it be possible for you to write up a step-by-step guide? So that I can dd it to the stickied PC Support Thread, which I'm sure would be helpful to other gamers who might end up having your same problem.