Page 1 of 10 12345 ... Last

Thread: Discuss: Evolved skins

Discuss: Evolved skins

Discuss: Evolved skins

Dear LoK Fans and Nosgoth players,

In these blog posts: Tyrant, Reaver and Sentinel, written by George Kelion where he introduces the new evolved skins. These skins are designed by Daniel Cabuco. If you did not read the blog then I can say that Daniel Cabuco is one of the right people to do this design work as he has lots of knowledge about legacy of Kain, this due to the fact he done work for Soul Reaver and he rose from lead Character Artist to Art Director by the time Legacy of Kain: Defiance was released.
    He has now been asked by Psyonix to do the evolved skins for at least three vampires.

Tyrant of the clan Turelim

The first class that has been released is the Tyrant of the clan Turelim.

Click the pictures for large version

In Daniel’s own words:

“Devolving into a more feral state, fat and sinew give way to raw muscular power. The Tyrants of Turel begin the growth of their trademark ears and thick graying skin wrapping tightly around their massive shoulders.”

and Daniel had this to share about the design of the adult Turelim:

“For the Turelim, the trademark ears and jaws are enlarged, showing an in-between state of the Tyrants. Their massive barrel chested bodies are starting to emaciate in the abdomen, now devoid of fat. The arm wraps, a trademark of their power, are bolted into the rhino-like skin they have developed. Leathers, brass and coppers now comprise their materials (so stained with dried blood that they have started to turn brown). The silhouette now pushes towards what fans will recognize as a Soul Reaver Turelim.”

Reaver of the clan Dumahim

The second release is the Reaver of the clan Dumahim.

Here’s how Daniel Cabuco describes the skin:

“The Reavers of Dumah have adopted their trademark armor, the beautiful and deadly designs that will follow them into their total devolution. Believing they are the greatest warriors of the Clans, they have adorned themselves with the finely detailed vestments similar to that of Dumah himself. Here you can see hints of the monstrosities they will eventually become in Soul Reaver.”

also Daniel shared these thoughts on the design of the adult Dumahim skin:

“For the Dumahim, we made ties to their clan lord Dumah's pan-Asian themed armor decoration. Astute viewers will notice little details like the faces in the shoulders, and the metal crow's skull in the center of the chest. Their hands have metal blades crafted over their claws to give them even more durability. The hair and head shape give hints of the monstrosities they will become.”

Sentinel of clan Razielim
    The third release is the Sentinel of the clan Razielim.

Here’s how Daniel Cabuco describes the Sentinels’ new look:

“Fallen from grace, enslaved and brought low from their once exalted status, the Sentinels of Clan Razielim hide their disfigurements behind masks. Forced to cobble together armor and clothing, they silently mourn their lost beauty, wealth, and power.”

And Daniel had this to say about his thinking behind the design of the adult Razielim skin:

“For the fallen Razelim Sentinels, we brought in aspects of Raziel as part of their identity. The cowl on the neck and the fang bearing masks are an unconscious tie to their fallen master's form at the bottom of the Abyss. And like Raziel, they have a design reminiscent of tears on the masks to represent the mourning of all they have lost. Their materials are more cobbled together, less refined than the other clans, due to their lack of wealth and craftsmen. Horns were added to their masks to give them a more distinct silhouette and reinforce their desire to once again instil fear in their enemies, if not other Clans.”

Discuss

Please discuss the skins and let me say Daniel if you read this. You done a great job, but read my questions soon that I send to nosgoth mail cause I expect an answer to every single one of them.

Question and Answers
    In the last few months the evolved skins for the vampire classes have been revealed that were created by Danield Cabuco (He now also has twitter just so you know). For every class there was an opportunity to write questions to ask daniel.
    Because many people wrote down similar questions and thus the team had to hand-pick which question they should pass along to Daniel.

So with no further delay here are the QA

The Tyrant of Clan Turelim
    Originally Posted by SullenHealer
    Were you really excited to come back to do these designs?
    Dcab: Of course! Soul Reaver is near and dear to my heart. It's always something I've wanted to come back to at some point. When Square Enix contacted me, I felt a great sense of anticipation about exploring these designs.

Originally Posted by SullenHealer
    What do you envision a Clan Elder Turelim looking like?
    DCab: If you mean one that hasn't started his devolution, I imagine them powerfully built with many trophies and markings on their clothing showing off their great victories. Perhaps even having a series of earrings that commemorate fierce victories, possibly because of their larger ears.

Originally Posted by Hirukaru
    How many hours did you spend on designing the evolved Tyrant skin?
    DCab: I spent many hours consulting with Square Enix concept artist Sylwia Dybiec on what the Tyrants should look like. I'm not sure of the exact number of hours but it went over the course of a week.

Are you proud of the Tyrant evolved skin?
    Dcab:Yes, the devolved Tyrant is a nice halfway mark between a human and fully devolved Turelim.

Does the tyrant evolved skin fit the LoK lore better this way or would you say there still little bit of tweaks to be done?
    Dcab:Hmm there's always tweaks that can be done. However this question sounds a bit leading...
    Respond by Hirukaru: yes it indeed sounds a bit leading.
    Last edited by hirukaru; 21st Mar 2014 at 18:24. Reason: Rest of updating will be done later. Added mesh and some QA

So the adult Turelim skin is out. Nothing new since we saw it in the video. Anyway, I'm quite pleased with its design. It's clearly a pre-devolved Turelim and he is quite faithful of the Soul Reaver era Turelim. We can now understand the link between the Nosgoth era turelim and the Soul reaver one (http://img4.hostingpics.net/pics/202524turelim.png). Good job done here.

I have a question regarding the adult skin : will it be followed by new abilites previously unattainable for fledglings (eg : nascent telekinesis for turelim allowing them to deflect projectiles for a very short period of time since they are far from mastering the art in this era)? This question is also concerning the lore : what are the abilities of adults at that period, what are their differences with the fledgling in this regard, and finally how old the fledglings and the adults are (if you thought about that)?

I can't wait to see the adult dumahim : I had trouble to see what exactly a dumahim looked like in SR due to low polygon modeling (same for the Zephonim, specifically in the head area); the adult dumahim concept art would help me figuring it out.
    Last edited by Nyxios; 4th Mar 2014 at 02:17.

I will be forever saddened my Tyrants won't have a 'Donk when they evolve further. It makes me shed a single tear of unimaginable sadness. Now there's nothin' to grab onto, man. Nothin' with any sort of give to it, that is.

Now more seriously: It's...Pretty amazing, actually. the forked chin reminds me ever so slightly of Vorador and it's a pleasant coincidence to me. Can't wait to see what else is in store, particularly with the Zephonim and Razielim classes.
    Black Cardinal Peaches, at your service. I stream things sometimes. Wanna see?

The Turelim looks amazing but I can't wait to see what they do to the Dumahim because right now it hard to even picture what this

will look like midway through its transformation into this

Have they said how the evolved skins will work? Are they unlocks or just paid skins like the rest?

That looks *** awesome. My excitement for this game grows with every bit of news that comes out.
    My name in game/on Steam is Tom Servo. Feel free to say something like "Are you Sdoots?" once more players are around, if you want to be sure.

It's unlocked by reaching a certain level with that Vampire.

Kind of a cool way of saying 'Oh that guy's Sentinel is evolved! He must have a lot of practice with him!'

To be honest, I hope that they are doing more than one evolved skin each, because I can see these being very popular, and it would take away from the game if every one looks the same.

More reason for them to go full customization rather than just skins, but so far, this looks great!

Originally Posted by WraithShadow13
    To be honest, I hope that they are doing more than one evolved skin each, because I can see these being very popular, and it would take away from the game if every one looks the same.

More reason for them to go full customization rather than just skins, but so far, this looks great!
    I read somewehre that they decided not to do full customization and roll with skins instead.

As for Evolved skins - well.... yeah. What they clearly need is colorization options thou - ON ALL SKINS (check how its done in Warframe). Ofc they will need to restric the pallete so we wont have Rainbow Tyrant and Niyan Sentinels on the map - but alowing people to run around in crimson armor for Reaver or jet-black carapace for Sentinels will be really nice addition and will solve some issues with skins being all the same on everyone.

Wow really great ! It's me or the skin of the fingers is cracked ? The fingers are in the middle of the evolution to become like raziel claws no ? Very good in all case.
    Last edited by Denaros; 4th Mar 2014 at 09:04.

right click aaand save! The skin looks incredible.

It's so awesome that the skins are tied to the leveling system! I actually suggested doing that to the devs during early alpha. So I'm really happy they did just that.
    Can't wait to see the other skins. Especially the dumahim!

Personally I love the Turelim skin, I also find it reminiscent of Vorador ( the chin spikes ), and I would like to say that Nosgoth is so far living up to what they promised, they delivered us new classes, classic evolved skins and new game modes.

I can't wait to see the Razielim skin, I think they will have two or three skins 1 ugly devolved with 3 fingers and 2 toed feet ( like the current one mostly ) 1 beautiful restored skin with normal hands ( restored fledgeling ) and 1 beautiful skin with 3 fingers and 2 toed feet ( restored adult )

The Dumahim I imagine would look something like Reptile from MK 4 with long fangs and a slobbering tongue, think of him as a Vampie Venom xD
    signature image

Originally Posted by Nyxios
    So the adult Turelim skin is out. Nothing new since we saw it in the video. Anyway, I'm quite pleased with its design. It's clearly a pre-devolved Turelim and he is quite faithful of the Soul Reaver era Turelim. We can now understand the link between the Nosgoth era turelim and the Soul reaver one (http://img4.hostingpics.net/pics/202524turelim.png). Good job done here.

I have a question regarding the adult skin : will it be followed by new abilites previously unattainable for fledglings (eg : nascent telekinesis for turelim allowing them to deflect projectiles for a very short period of time since they are far from mastering the art in this era)? This question is also concerning the lore : what are the abilities of adults at that period, what are their differences with the fledgling in this regard, and finally how old the fledglings and the adults are (if you thought about that)?

I can't wait to see the adult dumahim : I had trouble to see what exactly a dumahim looked like in SR due to low polygon modeling (same for the Zephonim, specifically in the head area); the adult dumahim concept art would help me figuring it out.
    To answer your question about the new abilities connected to a skin. This will probably not happen. Although If the skin is unlocked through leveling that it might be the case that after that level other skills will unlock that won't unlock before that level.

But if it is a real value skin then there won't be special attacks for the adult/evolved version of the classes, because this might make it pay 2 win which is not the goal from the developers.

Originally Posted by hirukaru
    To answer your question about the new abilities connected to a skin. This will probably not happen. Although If the skin is unlocked through leveling that it might be the case that after that level other skills will unlock that won't unlock before that level.

But if it is a real value skin then there won't be special attacks for the adult/evolved version of the classes, because this might make it pay 2 win which is not the goal from the developers.
    The abilities don't need to be build into the skin, just designed around the same theme so that people can equip abilities appropriate to the skin they chose. No reason they shouldn't be able to use them on fledglings if people really want to.
    "If events are matched closely enough to course, they have a way of restructuring themselves to familiar outcomes." ~ Scorpius, Farscape

Originally Posted by IKathaarI
    It's unlocked by reaching a certain level with that Vampire.

Kind of a cool way of saying 'Oh that guy's Sentinel is evolved! He must have a lot of practice with him!'
    That's exactly how I hoped these were going to work, but I didn't want set myself up for disappointment. Awesome.

I've spent about 5 minutes trying to figure out how I can subtly suggest they also do evolved versions of the alternate skins, but everything I've written makes me sound like I'm an entitled jerk who expects Psyonix to do everything I want. Instead, I'll just say "Hey, that could be kind of cool, and also a lot of extra work for an arguably low amount of reward, when that time could be spent on meaningful additions to the game."

Yeah, that works.

Seriously, please don't take me saying any of that as some sort of ungratefulness. I love that the team went ahead and is including these in the game.
    My name in game/on Steam is Tom Servo. Feel free to say something like "Are you Sdoots?" once more players are around, if you want to be sure.

Thats about what I was hoping for, got my runes ready and waiting. I hope they come soon.

And now adult Dumahim skin is out. They really look like little devils. Glad to see them wearing Dumah-style armor.
    I can wait to see adult Razielim tomorrow (but most of all, I want to see adult Zephonim skin).

The reaver and tyrant skins look perfect. The Tyrant skin I kind of knew what it would look like, but this? I didn't know what to expect! I am definitely not disappoint with either of them though! I can't wait to see the Sentinel, so excited!

Was hoping to see the Dumahim with brawny necks and a more hunched look. These renderings did not disappoint, though.

I liked the crow detail as well. Kudos to the design team.

i just love how the Clan marks are put onto the evolved skins, as they are rather iconic for the series.
    Now im wondering if the Sentinels will have Talons as they're already devolved to a certain extend.

Originally Posted by Khalith
    The reaver and tyrant skins look perfect. The Tyrant skin I kind of knew what it would look like, but this? I didn't know what to expect! I am definitely not disappoint with either of them though! I can't wait to see the Sentinel, so excited!
    Daniel did a great job working with Psyonix. I also can't wait for sentinel. Ill update the opening topic when the blog is up (and when I am home)

Originally Posted by Acambogenous
    Was hoping to see the Dumahim with brawny necks and a more hunched look. These renderings did not disappoint, though.

I liked the crow detail as well. Kudos to the design team.
    Indeed they deserve the Kudos for sure. I guess you are a LoK fan? Then I am more happy that you like them

Originally Posted by MrGoldteddy
    i just love how the Clan marks are put onto the evolved skins, as they are rather iconic for the series.
    Now im wondering if the Sentinels will have Talons as they're already devolved to a certain extend.
    Aah so that where the clan marks (You see I dont have much LoK knowledge), Hmm I hope sentinels of clan Raziel will have something really cool. (My favorite class)

Originally Posted by Nyxios
    And now adult Dumahim skin is out. They really look like little devils. Glad to see them wearing Dumah-style armor.
    I can wait to see adult Razielim tomorrow (but most of all, I want to see adult Zephonim skin).
    So if I see your answer the Dumah style armour is correct? Did not expect anything less from Daniel at least with the things I read of him.

Its nice that the devs said that you unlock it when you reach max level with a vampire class gives me something to work towards for something awesome.

I'll admit I didn't fall in love with the Dumahim as fast as the Turelim. However a midway between the current reaver and the SR dumahim would look really weird. for this reason I'm glad they borrowed more inspiration from Dumah himself. It probably helps that Dumah's own metamorphosis was mostly size and strength, compared to the other clan leaders.

Personally I'd like to see the head kinda smoothed out and flowing into the back as one curve, kind of like a cobra's hood, and this would be closer to SR. I'd also like the in game model to have that permanent gaping snarl we see on Dumah and the dumahim.

He also looks kind of like a trandoshan from Star Wars.
    In-game: Sirshua, being a sir everywhere.

Fun note: the Dumahim's head harks back to the BBI Dumah action figure, from ye olde Soul Reaver 2 days

"A return to Nosgoth is not necessarily always welcome: only the attainment of that final gnosis will satisfy us." – Sam Zucchi

Originally Posted by shinros
    Its nice that the devs said that you unlock it when you reach max level with a vampire class gives me something to work towards for something awesome.
    Do you have a link that they state this. So I can link towards this?
    The Max level is atm lvl 20 for classes but this will be raised probably. There might even be a point that they will cancel out max level and go on for ever (Ok lvl 99 or 999 is high enough)

Originally Posted by Razaiim
    I'll admit I didn't fall in love with the Dumahim as fast as the Turelim. However a midway between the current reaver and the SR dumahim would look really weird. for this reason I'm glad they borrowed more inspiration from Dumah himself. It probably helps that Dumah's own metamorphosis was mostly size and strength, compared to the other clan leaders.

Personally I'd like to see the head kinda smoothed out and flowing into the back as one curve, kind of like a cobra's hood, and this would be closer to SR. I'd also like the in game model to have that permanent gaping snarl we see on Dumah and the dumahim.

He also looks kind of like a trandoshan from Star Wars.
    Razaiim maybe a good question for Daniel why he didnt do that or if he is planning on changing the skin to look more closer to SR?
    Iam do not know LoK but it seems you do, I know Daniel does for sure but maybe he likes your feedback just mail it. (See the blog post for the mail and the subject needed)

Originally Posted by Lord_Aevum
    Fun note: the Dumahim's head harks back to the BBI Dumah action figure, from ye olde Soul Reaver 2 days

Wow they even got action figures of LoK :| LoK most be famous......

Originally Posted by hirukaru
    LoK most be famous......
    It was all the rage in 1999. Some of us still live under that rock
    "A return to Nosgoth is not necessarily always welcome: only the attainment of that final gnosis will satisfy us." – Sam Zucchi

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... Last