Thread: Do your actions change the plot?? Please answer these scenarios

Do your actions change the plot?? Please answer these scenarios

Question Do your actions change the plot?? Please answer these scenarios

I've got a few scenarios for you guys and was wondering how the game changes if you do it one way vs another....

#1. In the beginning of the story you capture and try to interrogate a NSF leader. At the end of the interrogation a guard comes up the flight of stairs in the Statue of Liberty and takes him prisoner...

Q: What happens if you kill the guard (allowing the NSF leader to not be captured) and leave?

#2: Remember the time when you are in Paul's hotel room in NYC and the guards come busting in the room and he tells you to go out the window while he holds them off? Paul eventually dies in that scene if you don't stay with him and fight them off.

Q: What happens if you stay and fight with your brother Paul and he doesn't end up dying?

#3: Theres a time when you come back off a train in the NYC subway and your partner Anna Navarre comes down the stairs. The game cuts to a talk scene and she eventually starts to kill you when she"s done talking to you. You can run up the stairs and your boss will ask you if you will go quietly or if they have to take you down. They have the top of the stairs blocked off with robots and guards...

Q: What happens if you run off the train and immediately try to open the air shaft that is on the other side of the platform against the wall. I was thinking if you crawled in it you could avoid talking to Anna and you'd be safe...At least until you came out of the vent shaft.

#4: There is a scene when you are on an airplane in a hanger. You are talking to some guy in the back of this pretty big jet. After you talk to him, Anna comes into the jet and kills him. You can either kill Anna first, or let her kill the guy you talked to in the back of the plane.

Q: What is the outcome if you kill Anna or if you don't kill her? How does the plot change?

These simple things I've always wanted to try have been bothering me since the game came out. I never was able to try them all. Can someone please try it or chime in please?

I've been dying to know for years!!!

Thanks!

1. The dude is a regular UNATCO spawn. Nothing happens if you kill him. The mission is still a success.

2. Not much. I think you get a few more messages from him and he appears to give you advice in the final stages of the game.

3. You have to die to advance. That's all there is to it.

4. Alex wipes the log files clean, so it appears Anna's death was an "accident".

There are no ways to "change" the plot, really, apart from the different endings.
    Trust. Duty. Love. Hate. Fear. Lust. Leo.

1. You get an Assault rifle. Back in the Demo days it was the only way to get an Assault rifle, with around 4 shots.

Story wise Manderley will ask you "Oh by the way, did you see what happened to the guard that I sent inside the statue? I've opened an investigation." other than that the game continues on like normal, the leader has to be captured or killed.

2. Paul survives, sends you messages, including one at the end of the game when people try to pull you in different ways..

3. You have to die to continue playing. You can get to Jock's helicopter by using Cheats, but if you use the helicopter nothing happens. No matter what you do, you cannot be safe. Gûnther is unkillable, everything else is killable though. You can either kill Anna there, or at the 747, or with a Killswitch / Normal fight at UNATCO. If you do not kill her until UNATCO (where you are forced to kill her), she will come talk to you when you are a prisoner in the cell. I honestly have no idea what happens if you cheat and ghost away from Unatco without killing Anna. I just assume that the game thinks you've killed her and treats it like that.

Convo with Gûnther changes. Sends you hostile messages faster, if you let the guy live it also triggers a more interesting conversation with the guy on the plane.

----

What I loved about Deus Ex was these plot things that you could do that would affect the gameplay long term. Such as running from Walton Simons in the underground lab only to have him reappear later and send you messages, or kill all the UNATCO at the satellite dish place before they come hostile, only to have Walton Simons say "The corporal isin't responding so I assume you've taken care of those guys really. You win this time, Denton!" instead of the normal "I ordered the troops to kill you... " bla bla. I found it amazing that the game actually detected these things, and I was truly shocked the first time in the demo when Manderley asked about the trooper he sent into the tower that I killed.

There are so many events you can trigger at different places at different times. Never get bored of this game!

Thanks guys!!!

That's what I like. I like knowing what events I can trigger. I get so curious.

hells kitchen - not helping paul - what happens?

im in hells kitchen right now where you have to send the message by the satelite to help paul. i checked the proof that unatco is majestic 12 but i decided not to send the message anyway so paul was disapointed by me but it looked like the game can go this way. but then i had to go to battery park and i had to use the code for subway. i didint get it anywhere so i found it in some walktrhough and got into battery park... there was anna navare running to me but she hasnt told me anything. same with herman outside the station. then after while they started shooting at me and killed me. i didnt find any way to get out of this place to meet jock (helicopter). is it possible to play the game this way? this looks like some bug to me. like authors of the game didnt expect me to do this but why would it be possible not to help paul then? and he answered me something like its a shame that he couldnt convinced me and we have to go separate ways... its strange. i would like to work for unatco because ive already finished the game with nsf once... does anybody know if theres any way to get over this?

Interesting...

#2, I saved Paul, but he still ended up dead in the med lab. Is that supposed to happen??

marker227: That was probably down to which way you left the building. Even if you stay and help Paul take out the guards, if you exit through the window the game registers that as you slipping out quick like Paul told you to and leaving him to fend for himself. To keep Paul alive you have to go downstairs and leave through the front door.

krudanze: it's been a long time since you made your post so maybe you found your answer elsewhere, but the problems you were having are probably because you didn't send the message. Sadly there's no way to stay with UNATCO - you have to send the message to move the story forward.
    "Tell me about the shipment and I'll order the troops to pick you up as a prisoner instead of a corpse!" - JC Denton.

I left through the front door and cleared out the troops. I never saw where Paul went. I kept reloading the save point to see where he disappeared to when you go downstairs, but I think he literally vanishes.

:/ Oh well

Oh I see. I saw your original question was what happens if you stay to help Paul out, but I couldn't see anyone else mention the fact that your exit route is what makes a difference as to whether he lives or dies, so I figured you may have taken out all the bad guys but then still went out the window.

In the case of what actually happened to you though, I... um... don't know! From what my memory's telling me I think Paul does (or at least can) just vanish, but if you're saying you went out the front door and he still turned up dead at MJ12... yeah I'm afraid I'm at a loss with that one. Sorry!
    "Tell me about the shipment and I'll order the troops to pick you up as a prisoner instead of a corpse!" - JC Denton.

I just beat the game. It took a little while because I wanted to see all the endings. I'm very happy I finally finished it. This was one of those games I played as a kid and never got around to beating it.