Page 2 of 3 First First 123 Last

Thread: Warner Bros: Goyer Writing Superman script!

Warner Bros: Goyer Writing Superman script!

Oh Drazar where have you been all my life?

UPDATE in original post

I hate superman. This is what I think when I compare Batman and superman. Its more like If there was a major crisis and it was up to superman to save the day you'd think " When will he save the day" whereas when it comes to Batman you'd think " How is he going to save the day". What i'm trying to say is that when it comes to stuff like that Batman can make the story more interesting because you don't know whats goin to happen rather than superman which you can predict.

Originally Posted by Scarn
    I hate superman. This is what I think when I compare Batman and superman. Its more like If there was a major crisis and it was up to superman to save the day you'd think " When will he save the day" whereas when it comes to Batman you'd think " How is he going to save the day". What i'm trying to say is that when it comes to stuff like that Batman can make the story more interesting because you don't know whats goin to happen rather than superman which you can predict.
    So in other words you don't really know what Superman ultimately is about. Both Superman and Batman fight crime, but ultimately both characters are much deeper than that.

Originally Posted by Drazar
    So in other words you don't really know what Superman ultimately is about. Both Superman and Batman fight crime, but ultimately both characters are much deeper than that.
    i just don't think he would be great for a franchise.

The two first movies we're great, not to mention the only real problem Superman franchise faced was the lack of usage on villains. Every movie focuses too much on Lex Luthor, if you show variety people wouldn't think Superman is as predictable as they believe.

Ofcourse you're allowed to keep your skeptism, but hating a character you barely know? Thats rather negative thinking. Each for their own in the end.

I hate superman.
    That's as much as I'm reading from you from here on out.

Originally Posted by angleslam99
    That's as much as I'm reading from you from here on out.
    i hate superman

Where does the negativity come from? Comics? Cartoons? Movies? Or is it the lack of knowledge and pure assumptions?

i hate superman
    Superman's an inspiration to many kids and teens/adults that are kids at heart. I don't know what you're talkin' about there..
    of course, Wonder Woman & Batman are my biggest role models. Wonder Woman, for the most part. princess of the amazons ftw.
    Happiness is an illusion. Suffering is real.

i hate superman
    Ban dis foo

i hate superman
    *superman burns Scarn with his laser eyes*

Just my opinion guys. deal with it

Well you still could tell us why. If it's just assumptions instead of knowledge? You could tell us that.

Originally Posted by Drazar
    Well you still could tell us why. If it's just assumptions instead of knowledge? You could tell us that.
    It mostly because I like super heroes that are more believable. I mean come on super speed, super strangth, super etc and only one weakness. you know whole idea of "super heros" and their comics started from world war 2 to show that American allies are more dominate then the German soviets then its just became a huge franchise. This might have been irrelevant informaton to my point.

It mostly because I like super heroes that are more believable. I mean come on super speed, super strangth, super etc and only one weakness. you know whole idea of "super heros" and their comics started from world war 2 to show that American allies are more dominate then the German soviets then its just became a huge franchise. This might have been irrelevant informaton to my point.
    You know I never got this "argument". Superman unbelievable? He's an alien that tries to fit in with our world, a new world. He was sent to Earth to be its greatest protector. Which he is, but he does not have only one weakness. Instead of Kryptonite, his biggest weakness is his heart, he LOVES humans, he LOVES humanity. He makes countless decisions all the time for the benefit on human beings that could ultimately kill himself in the process.

Superman does what he does because he wants to be human but knows his purpose is more than that. Everything he does is torn down and misconstrued by Lex Luthor who just hates Superman with a passion and hates everything he stands for. Lex Luthor can be considered the Adolf Hitler here that tries to build propaganda against Superman, calling him an invader from another planet to enslave the human race.

But if you're thinking one dimensionally, other than Kryptonite, he is corruptible by magic and other unearthly powers. Poison Ivy can control him, Zatanna can. He is vulnerable to magic and can be used as an unstoppable weapon when he is under a spell.

I just cant sit back and read "I hate Superman" with no solid facts to back up your claim. I'd love to here what you've read about Superman and what you really know about him and not just facts everyone who is anyone already knows about him such as flying, the cape, Lex Luthor, kryptonite, etc. Read a comic, All-Star Superman is one of the finest comics to have been released.

Instead of Kryptonite, his biggest weakness is his heart.
    well said. you have touched my heart, which is my biggest weakness of all as well.
    Happiness is an illusion. Suffering is real.

So you know Superman is powerful, but nothing else? What about the even more powerful threats he faces? You know? Like Darkseid, Mongul and other galaxy wide threatths? Like Batman faces meta-humans and stronger than him humans?

Superman has no connections on being created because of the World Wars, despite the creators being Jewish. Infact the origin from Jerry Siegel is much more sadder than that. Siegel's father was killed in a store theft with a gunshot, so what did Jerry Siegel create? Superman, the bulletproof hero.

I'm now going to quite a brilliant man who wrote the most award rewarded modern Superman story that is downright insanely brilliant, it also explains perfectly why people care about Superman and why he has such a strong fanbase:
    In the end, I saw Superman not as a superhero or even a science fiction character, but as a story of Everyman. We’re all Superman in our own adventures. We have our own Fortresses of Solitude we retreat to, with our own special collections of valued stuff, our own super–pets, our own “Bottle Cities” that we feel guilty for neglecting.
    We have our own peers and rivals and bizarre emotional or moral tangles to deal with.

I felt I’d really grasped the concept when I saw him as Everyman, or rather as the dreamself of Everyman. That “S” is the radiant emblem of divinity we reveal when we rip off our stuffy shirts, our social masks, our neuroses, our constructed selves, and become who we truly are.
    Batman is obviously much cooler, but that’s because he’s a very energetic and adolescent fantasy character: a handsome billionaire playboy in black leather with a butler at this beck and call, better cars and gadgetry than James Bond, a horde of fetish femme fatales baying around his heels and no boss. That guy’s Superman day and night.
    Superman grew up baling hay on a farm. He goes to work, for a boss, in an office. He pines after a hard–working gal. Only when he tears off his shirt does that heroic, ideal inner self come to life. That’s actually a much more adult fantasy than the one Batman’s peddling but it also makes Superman a little harder to sell.
    He’s much more of a working class superhero, which is why we ended the whole book with the image of a laboring Superman.

He’s Everyman operating on a sci–fi Paul Bunyan scale. His worries and emotional problems are the same as ours... except that when he falls out with his girlfriend, the world trembles."
    - Grant Morrison
    Superman is about the everyday man Clark Kent becoming the hero and the S is our symbol. Wheres Batman is the cool-guy with the gadgets and chicks.

Can't wait til Inception is done, we'll hopefully start getting a bit more news.
    signature image

So basically.... Batman.

"Sleep? That bed is a coffin and those are winding sheets. I do not sleep I die." - Captain Ahab

For starters,I don't believe those two words should be used in the same sentence,Scarn.I'm referring of course to "super heroes" and "believable."Super heroes aren't meant to be believable,these characters are meant to inspire people,they are icons and symbols of hope.I don't know about you,but when I read a comic book,the last thing I want is believability.You see,here in our world,everyday we read the news and see how a man killed his 3-year old daughter or how an earthquake tore through a country and killed thousands of people.If I read a comic book,it's to escape reality.In their world,maybe Batman saved that little girl or Supermen stopped that Earthquake before it killed anyone.Quite frankly,with all of the war and violence in our world,everyone needs hope.So,if you gave me a choice between realism or hope,I'd choose the latter faster than a speeding bullet.Just my 2 cents here.
    signature image

Believability and realism are two different concepts.

Realism is how close to reality it is.

Believability is how genuine it seems.

I think people too often confuse these things. A well written story with three-dimensional characters and a natural flow (no ass pulls or deus ex machina) will be believable, even if it deals with fantasy scenarios. A story that keeps everything as close to reality as possible, with real psychology, real technology and a real world will be realistic, even if it has flat characters and lousy writing.

I think that neither Batman nor Superman are realistic characters at all, but I think that both, when well written, are very believable.
    "Sleep? That bed is a coffin and those are winding sheets. I do not sleep I die." - Captain Ahab

Originally Posted by the_killing_joke
    *superman burns Scarn with his laser eyes*
    Ultraman definitely would.

You know I never got this "argument". Superman unbelievable? He's an alien that tries to fit in with our world, a new world. He was sent to Earth to be its greatest protector. Which he is, but he does not have only one weakness. Instead of Kryptonite, his biggest weakness is his heart, he LOVES humans, he LOVES humanity. He makes countless decisions all the time for the benefit on human beings that could ultimately kill himself in the process.

Superman does what he does because he wants to be human but knows his purpose is more than that. Everything he does is torn down and misconstrued by Lex Luthor who just hates Superman with a passion and hates everything he stands for. Lex Luthor can be considered the Adolf Hitler here that tries to build propaganda against Superman, calling him an invader from another planet to enslave the human race.

But if you're thinking one dimensionally, other than Kryptonite, he is corruptible by magic and other unearthly powers. Poison Ivy can control him, Zatanna can. He is vulnerable to magic and can be used as an unstoppable weapon when he is under a spell.

I just cant sit back and read "I hate Superman" with no solid facts to back up your claim. I'd love to here what you've read about Superman and what you really know about him and not just facts everyone who is anyone already knows about him such as flying, the cape, Lex Luthor, kryptonite, etc. Read a comic, All-Star Superman is one of the finest comics to have been released.
    I almost cried while reading All Star Superman. Every issue was just incredible. If you dont have a better understanding of Superman and even Luthor after reading All-Star, then I feel sorry for you (im talking to you Scarn).

Im glad Nolan and Goyer are in on this. I trust in their abilities, but Superman is a different beast to handle. Im very curious to see where they take it.

Abjea you've heard about the theory on on Leo Quintum's identity?
    It's a brilliant thing if true and the hints seem to imply that way. Here's a blog post regarding it.

Page 2 of 3 First First 123 Last