Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Thread: Warner Bros: Goyer Writing Superman script!

Warner Bros: Goyer Writing Superman script!

Warner Bros: Goyer Writing Superman script!

UPDATE ON SUPERMAN

UPDATE 2: IGN have an exclusive update on this story and claim not only is Goyer on board, but his The Dark Knight co-writer Jonah Nolan will also be scripting Superman: The Man of Steel along with him. Nolan's brother Christopher is expected to only executive-produce, and not direct, the film. That said, he will be "hands-on" as a producer. Since the Superman film is under the gun because of the ongoing legal entanglements involving the property, Warner Bros. wants the pair to get started on their script on the double.

Their sources add that Warners is confident in the early work that Goyer and Jonah Nolan have done so far on Batman 3, and that as a result Superman has now taken on a higher priority status at the studio than it had since Superman Returns was released.
    ======

http://io9.com/5414471/superman-movi...cially-on-hold

If you've been hoping that Warners would try and rush a Superman movie ahead of their 2012 deadline for the character rights, then you're out of luck. A new report suggests that Warners aims to keep the franchise on ice.

Anne Thompson writes that, despite the perceived need to get a new Superman movie in production before 2011 in order to avoid paying penalty to the heirs of the character's creators, Warners are planning to stay quiet on the Superman front for the simple reason that they don't know what else to do:

As the studio is waiting to resolve the legal dispute, there's no movement on the project. [Superman Returns] grossed $391 million worldwide off strong reviews for a genre sequel. But it cost more than $232 million. Warners felt it could have performed better with more action and a powerful villain-and no Superman kid. So Singer was taken off the franchise... [Warner Bros. execs] want to start over from scratch. While Kick-Ass writer Mark Millar did pitch himself (to scant interest), WB in-house faves the Wachowski brothers and their protege James McTeigue were never approached. (It's hard to imagine such hard-R types taking on what one blogger described as the "Big Blue Boy Scout.") The studio is still seeking the right direction. No writers are working on a Superman script. "We're working on a strategy for DC," says one Warners exec. "Superman is the trickiest one to figure out."

Considering Warners have three of DC's most popular comic writers consulting for the studio on DC-related projects (including Grant Morrison, who wrote the critically-acclaimed, award winning All Star Superman), the idea that the studio can't come up with a direction for the character is kind of mind-boggling, and perhaps points to a reason why Marvel Studios needn't worry about the competition just yet.

1) Bring back Singer, because Superman Returns was well-directed and visually excellent.

2) Bring back Brandon Routh as Superman.

3) Delete the Superkid concept.

4) Have Luthor as a more minor character, but bring back Kevin Spacey!

5) Include a bit more action and a stronger enemy, such as Metallo.

Hopefully the next movie will work from a clean slate instead of the half-reboot that was Superman Returns.
    "Sleep? That bed is a coffin and those are winding sheets. I do not sleep I die." - Captain Ahab

I hope we get a Justice League movie someday.
    signature image

Originally Posted by batfan08
    I hope we get a Justice League movie someday.
    I agree, i would like to see everyone brought together like in the Marvel movies with ironman and nick fury at the end of the movies
    Click to see my video projects --->>> Dufase19089

I say that after Green Lantern,and Nolan's Batman 3,reboot that franchise to fit in more with the others(no more ultrarealism),and then maybe do Flash,Wonder Woman,Aquaman,save Supes for last and introduce Martian Manhunter in the films,then build more franchises such as Green Arrow and the Atom and include those characters in the JL sequels.Have a JSA film.Include a DC Showcase line of films including Jonah Hex,Sgt.Rock,Swamp Thing,Doom Patrol,Lobo,and Suicide Squad,and you've got a lineup that sends Marvel running with their tail between their legs.
    signature image

The thing is I think DC is afraid to take risks. Superman is the top dog of the comic book world despite what anyone says/thinks, and for them to have no direction for a future movie is a joke. Plain and simple. Marvel takes risks with giving some of their lesser known characters a movie for themselves (i.e. Elektra) and they still wind up making bank because people go to see comic book movies. It's the big thing these days.

Why doesn't DC just take a risk with a Superman movie? The name alone will rake in cash, hell I'd write the movie myself for FREE just to save them the time of "writing a movie"

DC needs to get their act together with their movies, it's the one thing Marvel does better than them at.

Well looks like they are taking there time. That's good. I would hate to have a rushed Superman movie that sucks.
    http://www.batmangamesplay.com <-- Fun batman Flash Games

Originally Posted by czoom01
    Well looks like they are taking there time. That's good. I would hate to have a rushed Superman movie that sucks.
    That would be good if they even had an idea of where they're going.

They should let me make Superman at Earth's end movie starring Triple H as Superman.

I think Warner Brothers is willing to just pay for Superman rights, aslong as FOX doesn't get ahold of Superman i'm happy.

Originally Posted by DropkickDisco
    1) Bring back Singer, because Superman Returns was well-directed and visually excellent.

2) Bring back Brandon Routh as Superman.

3) Delete the Superkid concept.

4) Have Luthor as a more minor character, but bring back Kevin Spacey!

5) Include a bit more action and a stronger enemy, such as Metallo.
    1. No. He doesn't get Superman. He specifically made Superman to follow Christopher Reeve's in Superman II, yet completely ignored the character development Reeve's Superman went through in that movie. In that film, Clark gives up Superman to be with Lois, the woman he loves. He gives up his powers to be "mortal," even though this means he will never get them back. In doing so, he opens up the world to subjugation under Zod and the other Kryptonian survivors from Clark's home planet. It's all his fault, all that befalls the Earth. At least, this is how he comes to see it. Clark then goes through hell just to get his powers back, defeat Zod, and even worse, he realizes after seeing what being apart from her is doing to her, he has to wipe Lois' memory and give up that which he wants most in this life in order to be there to protect it... He tells the president of the United States, "Sorry I've been away so long. I won't let you down again." as a punctuation to this arc he's come to. Yet, even though Singer's Superman is following this movie in the franchise, he has Superman totally betray the character by having him go OFF INTO SPACE for FIVE YEARS since the end of Superman II in the ludicrous pursuit of remnants of his home planet, Krypton. Well, the world, Lois, they've all felt betrayed and jaded toward him when he returns. Gee... Wonder why? Superman either has the brain of a Goldfish, like in Finding Nemo, only remembering the past five seconds, or he's the biggest liar since Nixon. Either way, not a good way to begin a movie. This can be all attributed to the screenwriter, of course, but the Director can argue changes if he wants, esspecially one with the clout he has/had from the X-Men films. Then, there's the removal, intentionally of the "Truth, justice, and the American way." line, which wasn't necessary. There's the physical darkening of Superman's costume, smaller S, which looked far more like the "bad" Superman he becomes in Superman 3, the far slimmer Superman, as Routh was ready to pump up for the role, but Singer told him not to since he's got Super Powers and shouldn't need to... There's the fact Superman barely has anything to say, or do, in Superman Returns past the saving of the plane in the opening, then gets stabbed like Jesus by Lex, his Judas, and his two-bit thugs on an Island of friggin Kryptonite... I mean, Kryptonite is a substance of rock, not an organic, self-replicating plant, so why is it organically growing into an unstoppable Island?? There's about a million things wrong with that movie, and the baby Supes thing is just the tip of that iceberg, really.

No, I would not want Singer anywhere near it again. And that's a shame, since I think he did a remarkable job with the X-Men franchise. He GOT them, you see. He definitely did NOT get Superman.

2. I think Routh did an ok job, when he had something to work with. I wouldn't mind seeing him back, but due to the fact that the film he was in was utter blech, I doubt he will be recast. He should feel lucky, though, given the less time spent playing Superman, the less someone gets branded to the name. He got in, has fans, and I hope a good career ahead of him otherwise.

3. God, please.

4. How about, have Luthor be more like Luthor from the comics -- a seething super-genius at the head of control over most of Metropolis through the tech and innovations his, albeit ruthless, mind has brought it? How about less a simple imitation of Gene Hackman? I don't think Spacey is a bad choice, but that's all he really did in Returns.

5. Yes, lots more action, and yes, better enemies.

And yes to them taking their time. Make something that people will remember like they have and will the first two Superman movies. Make something worthy of the character, worthy of what he represents and what humanity can be through him.

Thanks.

Originally Posted by The Hylden
    1. No. He doesn't get Superman. He specifically made Superman to follow Christopher Reeve's in Superman II, yet completely ignored the character development Reeve's Superman went through in that movie. In that film, Clark gives up Superman to be with Lois, the woman he loves. He gives up his powers to be "mortal," even though this means he will never get them back. In doing so, he opens up the world to subjugation under Zod and the other Kryptonian survivors from Clark's home planet. It's all his fault, all that befalls the Earth. At least, this is how he comes to see it. Clark then goes through hell just to get his powers back, defeat Zod, and even worse, he realizes after seeing what being apart from her is doing to her, he has to wipe Lois' memory and give up that which he wants most in this life in order to be there to protect it... He tells the president of the United States, "Sorry I've been away so long. I won't let you down again." as a punctuation to this arc he's come to. Yet, even though Singer's Superman is following this movie in the franchise, he has Superman totally betray the character by having him go OFF INTO SPACE for FIVE YEARS since the end of Superman II in the ludicrous pursuit of remnants of his home planet, Krypton. Well, the world, Lois, they've all felt betrayed and jaded toward him when he returns. Gee... Wonder why? Superman either has the brain of a Goldfish, like in Finding Nemo, only remembering the past five seconds, or he's the biggest liar since Nixon. Either way, not a good way to begin a movie. This can be all attributed to the screenwriter, of course, but the Director can argue changes if he wants, esspecially one with the clout he has/had from the X-Men films. Then, there's the removal, intentionally of the "Truth, justice, and the American way." line, which wasn't necessary. There's the physical darkening of Superman's costume, smaller S, which looked far more like the "bad" Superman he becomes in Superman 3, the far slimmer Superman, as Routh was ready to pump up for the role, but Singer told him not to since he's got Super Powers and shouldn't need to... There's the fact Superman barely has anything to say, or do, in Superman Returns past the saving of the plane in the opening, then gets stabbed like Jesus by Lex, his Judas, and his two-bit thugs on an Island of friggin Kryptonite... I mean, Kryptonite is a substance of rock, not an organic, self-replicating plant, so why is it organically growing into an unstoppable Island?? There's about a million things wrong with that movie, and the baby Supes thing is just the tip of that iceberg, really.

No, I would not want Singer anywhere near it again. And that's a shame, since I think he did a remarkable job with the X-Men franchise. He GOT them, you see. He definitely did NOT get Superman.

2. I think Routh did an ok job, when he had something to work with. I wouldn't mind seeing him back, but due to the fact that the film he was in was utter blech, I doubt he will be recast. He should feel lucky, though, given the less time spent playing Superman, the less someone gets branded to the name. He got in, has fans, and I hope a good career ahead of him otherwise.

3. God, please.

4. How about, have Luthor be more like Luthor from the comics -- a seething super-genius at the head of control over most of Metropolis through the tech and innovations his, albeit ruthless, mind has brought it? How about less a simple imitation of Gene Hackman? I don't think Spacey is a bad choice, but that's all he really did in Returns.

5. Yes, lots more action, and yes, better enemies.

And yes to them taking their time. Make something that people will remember like they have and will the first two Superman movies. Make something worthy of the character, worthy of what he represents and what humanity can be through him.

Thanks.
    I disagree with your opinion, of course. Mine differ greatly, since I thought that Singer handled the flow of the film brilliantly. Spacey and Routh both embodied their characters exceptionally well, with Spacey delivering a stand-out performance.

I viewed Superman Returns as more of an independent re-boot itself. Visually, it was fantastic, and there was nothing wrong with Singer's direction beyond issues that were related to the script. In fact, I walked out of the theater with satisfaction.

It was a well-cast, well-directed movie. Sure, it could have had more action, but more action doesn't necessarily equal a more enjoyable film. Superman Returns had plenty of exciting set pieces.

Thanks.

The "Thanks" part of my post was directed toward the studios, following up the paragraph mentioning them taking their time and making a great Superman film. It wasn't directed toward you as a slight against your post. Yes, we disagree.

The problem i had with Superman Returns' Brandon Routh and Lois we're they we're just too freaking young. Look at Routh right now and you can see he looks like Superman, but what he looked like in Returns was pretty much the same as Smallville Supes, just way too young. =P

Personally i wish they would get Kevin Smith's Superman script. Deadshot makes an early villain (but gets pwned instantly), main villains are Luthor and Brainiac, with Luthor just being the side villain. Oh yeah and Doomsday was in it too. Just loads of action and stuff, good dialogue too.

Someday we will see Superman: Red Son too. Maybe Zack Snyder could direct it, heh.

^^^ Brainiac is probably a waaaaaaaaaaay better villian than Luther, they should like make a reboot of tha first animated superman movie that came in the 90's (the Superman returns had a few scenes from that movie) i loved it as a kid and it had plenty action.

And coming from a non comic reader (not my fault i read all the libary comics when i was allowed) i personally like the super kid thing and know several others. If they move a way from the old movies and make him kinda like a "non-gay" robin dude it might be fun to see what happens
    Click to see my video projects --->>> Dufase19089

LOBO!! they can use lobo as a setup for brainiac by having lobo go to earth to kill superman because he brainiac paid him to and when lobo fails at the end of the movie.....................SEQUAL WITH BRAINIAC!!!
    the last bit of hope is always the hardest to snuff out !

Originally Posted by Drazar
    The problem i had with Superman Returns' Brandon Routh and Lois we're they we're just too freaking young. Look at Routh right now and you can see he looks like Superman, but what he looked like in Returns was pretty much the same as Smallville Supes, just way too young. =P

Personally i wish they would get Kevin Smith's Superman script. Deadshot makes an early villain (but gets pwned instantly), main villains are Luthor and Brainiac, with Luthor just being the side villain. Oh yeah and Doomsday was in it too. Just loads of action and stuff, good dialogue too.

Someday we will see Superman: Red Son too. Maybe Zack Snyder could direct it, heh.
    Not to mention the casting for Lois was Terrrible

I don't think anyone would go near a Kevin Smith Superman script to be honest. All we know is that Singer had his chance and he blew it. Because it wasn't good enough for an immediate sequel things just died for the movie.

The one thing Smith did get right is including Brainiac except if he's in the movie I don't think any other villain (except of course Luthor) should be added to the mix.
    Beware of the Knight.

Look out! It's the Super Sperm Kid! He'll melt you with those eye beams!

Originally Posted by Drazar
    Sounds promising.

As far as DC movies go, I think it's both an advantage and a loss that they're not as eager to jump at films as Marvel is. They've been sticking to the same Superman and Batman series most of the time for a while, and having some lesser known characters pop up here and there (Constantine, V For Vendetta, Watchmen).

To me, Marvel's problem is that they're TOO eager to make movies. It's like they can't breathe without having at least one movie coming out every year. So when they exhaust their main ideas they just keep throwing out characters that most inexperienced comic readers have never cracked open a book for and exert lopsided efforts on them. It's noteworthy that, for the most part, the Marvel movies about more popular characters have done better (Spider-Man, X-Men, Iron Man) and have had critically and commercially successful sequels (not counting the trilogy curse that befell Spidey and the mutants). It's like they know if a character is popular enough it's more worth it to put effort into their movies. I think they'd actually do better financially as a whole company if they put less effort in the popular ones, where people would be drawn because they're popular, and put more effort in the less popular ones, where people would go see it because it's a good movie, but then I'd be a hypocrite because I like that the first two Spider-Man movies are very good, well made movies and the third was at least commendable for it's efforts, but too much creative control was taken from Raimi and in trying to do something new they strayed way too far from the comics.

I think DC should try something similar if they want their break in movies. They have the potential, they just focus on other things I guess. Take, for instance, the potential of a Teen Titans movie; pretty ideal to me. They're popular enough to get their own cartoon show, but not enough so that you'd know them anywhere like you would Superman. So if they wanted to make a live action movie, and put the right effort in it, it could be a big hit.

Though I do agree a well made Justice League movie would be great.

David Goyer to Write the New Superman Movie!

CRAP didn't notice Drazar post it on the other thread, you can close this one...

http://www.latinoreview.com/news/exc...-of-steel-9286

Today is huge comic book movie news Wednesday. With the Captain America finalists breaking over at Marvel, we got something from the world of DC.

Our notorious trusted source 'Pinche Taco' came up big for us...

I know a lot of you folks are going to ask "Isn't Goyer writing the third Batman film?" Goyer is only helping in the story, he ain't writing it. Just like The Dark Knight where he only helped with the story.

Without any further adieu..

Hola Chicos, Pinche Taco here with the latest blatherings de nada de los Ninos de Hollywood!

So you will believe un hombre can fly! Te Juro. The talented David Stephen Goyer, the man who made sure Nolan stuck to the legend of El Dark Knight, has been hired to write the next chapter. Here is what El Taco can tell all you ninos....

1.Thomas Tull, the head of Legendary, got tired of all the discussion and decided chingate, let's do it. So he went to Goyer and Goyer had an idea that actually takes the movies back to the John Byrne incarnation. Modern. Believable. FUN! So Tull got Goyer hired.
    2.The film will not be called Superman and will be called THE MAN OF STEEL.
    3.Brandon Routh will not star in the film.
    4.Nic Cage will NOT star in the fllm (lol)
    5.Bryan Singer is not expected to direct.
    Conoces como Mark Millar walks around acting like he was going to write it? El Taco discovered that this was always BULL. Paul Levitz hated the guy and he was never even discussed to write it. He made all that "almost" stuff up.

I can tell you that Goyer's story involves Luthor and Brainiac. It is NOT an origin and assumes audiences already know about Lois, Clark, Jimmy and Perry. I know the Daily Planet is struggling due to the internet. And I know it sets up a huge Kryptonian mythology.

El Taco is muy excited about this. This could be the Superman movie we deserve!

Yo soy El Taco y yo digo adios!

Stay tuned as the story develops.

I had no idea my topic was still around, haha

Originally Posted by angleslam99
    I had no idea my topic was still around, haha
    I bumped it for the sake of Bromance.

Page 1 of 3 123 Last