Page 2 of 2 First First 12

Thread: Batman or Superman

Batman or Superman

Originally Posted by Old_BenKenobi
    Who's gonna take Superman's fingerprints? The man doesn't even wear a mask!

Thats why Superman doesn't wear gloves or a mask, he's so much more open than Batman is.
    Think about it. He's just stopped a car from running over a couple of nuns by standing in front of it and holding his hands in front of him and leaving quite impressive fimgerprints no doubt indelibly pressed into the metal, All it takes is some enterprising cop to deduce this and there you have it, Superman's fingerprints are on record. I'm sure if you cogitate on it some you could come up with plenty of similar situations where he would leave such damning evidence behind. And I'm sure if they're not already, Clark Kent's prints will at some point also be on record. I'm not saying he should wear gloves, he never has and it's too late to change that now, after 70 years, but there are reasons it might have been a good idea.
    Addendum : I just remeberes there were at lest one or two stories where Superman was arrested and put in jail (for a crime he didn't commit, naturally) and , big blue boy scout that he is, cooperrated fully with the police, and, as it is SOP for the police to fingerprint every supect they jail, he would have gone along and allowed that. However, I think there might have been something where he altered the prints on the paper with his heat vision or such.

Or they could just say Kryptonians don't have fingerprints and Superman has fake fingerprints for Clark Kent identity. /case solved.

Originally Posted by Drazar
    Do Kryptonians have finger prints?
    I would think they do, as at some point in his life, Clark Kent has to have had his fingerprints taken, and if they were either non-existent or inhuman looking, I would think this would have raised a few red flags.

Who's gonna take Superman's fingerprints? The man doesn't even wear a mask!

Thats why Superman doesn't wear gloves or a mask, he's so much more open than Batman is.
    What i don't get is how everyone doesn't know who Superman is when all he wears is glasses when he's not being Superman
    "Oooo whatcha sneakin' with ya Bats?..Oh c'mon tell me, tell me..Batarangs?..Batclaws?..Ooo Batsnacks"

Originally Posted by Dcool77
    What i don't get is how everyone doesn't know who Superman is when all he wears is glasses when he's not being Superman
    I don't know much about Superman but I think it is because he changes his whole demeanour as Clark Kent, so people may say or think Kent looks like Superman but think Kent’s too much of a wimp to be Superman.

Anyway Batman and Superman are both cool heroes.
    Save the Junglist!
    http://www.savejunglist.com/

^ This

being clark is his identy glasses may not cover it up that much but its enough if you have total personality shift when he's superman he has a certain swagger to him like yeah i just picked up a building no big deal when he's clark he is reserved quiet and acts pretty normal he doesnt have that same swagger so its easy to hide that he is superman behind the glasses.
    Superman: i have stange favor to ask of you.
    Batman : No clark, you can't borrow my pirate ship.

Lois Lane had long speculated that Clark was Superman, but could never find enough evidence for it. So yeah the important people to Superman pretty much had a clue (like James Gordon for Batman) but never just said anything.

i don't really like Superman he can do anything and has no weakness except kyptnite a little green rock from outer space is all it takes to weaken him Batman is better because he doesn't have any super powers other then his brilleant mind so he was able to get awesome gadgets and use them to take out thugs with skill and scare tactics plus his marial arts skills is a very good combat and all Superman can do for combat is punch the lights out of thugs but yeah overall in my opinion Batman is the better hero
    First off, Superman has more weaknesses than simply Kryptonite:

1) Magic (he has no protection whatsoever)

2) He can't hold his breath forever (in space or underwater or whatever the substance is)

and

3) He gets weak if he doesn't have prolonged exposure to the sun

And by the way, the aforementioned information is coming from a massive Batman fan. Superman is my second favorite DC hero. I respect him and think he's a great character, but he just isn't my favorite.

Obviously, the statement that Superman can do anything is wrong because if he could, no one would care about him.

Finally, does Superman actually punch the lights out of thugs? I think not. He doesn't fight thugs, he fights monsters, madmen, and alien beings. He'd have to exert such force so that a punch from him wouldn't turn the thug into protoplasm, lol.

I can see him stopping thugs' vehicles and trapping criminals with his abilities but actually punching terrorists? That seems more like something Batman or The Flash would do.

Relatively few people in Metropolis know who Clark Kent is, and he is able to change his demeanor so much that (aided by the glasses) nobody looks at him and thinks "Superman!". Low risk factor, unlike Batman, who's real face is widely known and his motive is a matter of public record.

Because Superman doesn't wear a mask people just assume he has no secret identity. If anything thinks "Hey Clark, you kinda look like Superman!" they just see a resemblence, the same way your friend might look like a celebrity.

As for the finger-print issue, if I'm up-to-date in my know-how, Superman is surrounded by a thin forcefield, which would theoretically hide such sensitive information as fingerprints.

Think of it this way. You see a celebrity on TV, you see someone walking down the street who looks exactly like said celebrity, however they are not the celebrity. It just so happens that they look identical.

Same way with Superman, only that no one expects a mild mannered, humble, clumsy reporter to be this Man of Steel.

Relatively few people in Metropolis know who Clark Kent is, and he is able to change his demeanor so much that (aided by the glasses) nobody looks at him and thinks "Superman!". Low risk factor, unlike Batman, who's real face is widely known and his motive is a matter of public record.

Because Superman doesn't wear a mask people just assume he has no secret identity. If anything thinks "Hey Clark, you kinda look like Superman!" they just see a resemblence, the same way your friend might look like a celebrity.

As for the finger-print issue, if I'm up-to-date in my know-how, Superman is surrounded by a thin forcefield, which would theoretically hide such sensitive information as fingerprints.
    Well, then, what happens when he gets fingerprinted as Clark Kent? (which I would think inevitable at some point) Unless you're suggesting he can turn the field on or off at will., The resultant oddness of the distorted/non existent fingerprints would immediately raise suspicion.

I am suggesting that he has the power to turn off the force-field.

Why does Superman need to wear gloves?
    Nothing to do with fingerprints, I didn't say he needed too, I said I think he'd look better.
    "An open mind is like a fortress with it's gates unbarred and unguarded" - Blood Raven Librarian

Originally Posted by BloodLegacy
    Nothing to do with fingerprints, I didn't say he needed too, I said I think he'd look better.
    Wouldn't work. He's had this look for 70+ years now, changing it now would be an outrage. Plus there's no real reason why he would need gloves anyways. That's like giving him a mask too, it's just not necessary.

Superman is my favorite, followed up by Batman. Interesting, though I love the darkness of Batman at times. I think they're about as close as can be in my head as great heroes.

As far as punching thugs: Superman can stop thugs without hurting them too badly, but he's not going to just toss a super-powered punch into their soft, human noggins

The fingerprint issue: Clark would only need to be fingerprinted if he walked into high level security places requiring it. Or, if he's been arrested by the cops I am sure this has happened over the 70+ years, yes. Is there a force-field around Superman that he controls at will? Uh, not a huge fan of that, but whatever. Maybe I can go with it if it's like the DBZ extreme of inner chi, so Superman's inner spirit/power pushing outward.

And I believe there have been alternate costumes for various reasons over the decades and that a few have had gloves. The base costume, though, should remain the same.

As far as the glasses thing: I prefer to think on it like Superman II eludes to, that Superman has a level of power from his mind to manipulate how others see him. He does this with a kiss on Lois at the end of the film and wipes her memory of knowing his identity and all that they shared (pretty sad, selfless act). I do believe it's more than just putting on the glasses and the change of suit that does it. Glad people are posting who actually have respect and like for the character here, even if they don't think he's their favorite The board has matured! lmao

Originally Posted by BloodLegacy
    Possibly, but I think the lack of gloves works thematically with his character.

Possibly, but I think the lack of gloves works thematically with his character.
    Agreed.

Superman doesn't need gloves. The bare-fisted look suits him better and just makes him look even cooler when he fights.

i think superman in his normal costume would look silly with gloves especially if they were bright red the bare fisted look makes it look much more epic when he punches something
    Superman: i have stange favor to ask of you.
    Batman : No clark, you can't borrow my pirate ship.

I'm not really opposed to the look (though it would take some getting used to). I just think that a guy who doesn't hide one of the most specific ways to identify him says a lot, like his lack of mask.

Originally Posted by kazinya91
    i think superman in his normal costume would look silly with gloves especially if they were bright red the bare fisted look makes it look much more epic when he punches something
    True, I'm just not the biggest fan of super heroes with bare skin But that's just me, and if I'm outnumbered, who am I too say he looks bad without them
    "An open mind is like a fortress with it's gates unbarred and unguarded" - Blood Raven Librarian

Batman or Superman @

Game's simple. Person above you posts two or more choices for the next person to choose from, and then you post your own for the next person to choose. Have fun.

and.. NO NEITHERS/NONES PLEASE. Batman or Superman?

Moving this to the proper section.

Page 2 of 2 First First 12