Thread: PC turns off when i play - FRUSTRATING

PC turns off when i play - FRUSTRATING

PC turns off when i play - FRUSTRATING

I have Arkham Asylum for PC and i was loving the game up to the point where i was clearing a room of thugs stealthily in the west pump control room down in the caves.

All of a sudden my laptop just turns off before i can take out the last thug, im left thingking what the hell, maybe the battery is dead (even though it was plugged in).

Now whenever i try to play the game i get to the "Click to start" screen then about 3 seconds after i click my computer turns off just like before.

I dont get it the battery is full, i have all the right specs required to play, no other open programmes it just turns off every time.

Ive reinstalled it twice now and it keeps having the same problem.

Ive looked everywhere but nothing works, can anyone help?

does this happen with any other games?

does it turn off at same point? If not then its an overheating issue.

most of the time the pc restarts or shuts down as a defense mechanism when its overheating.

so check ur temps while [playing.
    they might be spiking to a dangerous level.

edit:
    i see u have a laptop.
    if thats not a gaming laptop that would mean its cooling system is not designd to take high temps.
    it shuts down itself when it detects that the temps are too high for it to handle.

only gaming laptops i know with good cooling are Asus and Alienware laptops.
    my Asus laptop can take 80 degree temps without shutting itself down or having a blue screen of death.
    but with me undervolting the processors and getting a cooling pad , i get 60 degress max temp on full load.
    and i havent shut it down for months now and its still working great.

i suggest u find a way to cool ur laptop down while playing so it doesnt shut iitself down.

Thanks for the advice, it doesnt happen at the same point every time so it must be a heating problem

my laptop is a dell XPS M1530 dont know what that has in terms of cooling.

Any advice on keeping the laptop cool enough to play?

It does sound like a heating problem but if Arkham is the only game to be affected it might be something else, but better to be on the safe side. download GPUz (2nd tab shows gpu temperature) and core temp, have them running in the background while you play, then after a couple of mins but before it has a chance to shut down, alt-tab out of it and tell us what your temperatures are.

It may be obvious but I've had to mention this to a couple of people I know, make sure none of the vents are blocked so airflow isn't restricted.

I downloaded GPU-z and i watched as the game loaded and as soon as the game started up the temperature peaked to 95 C and then when the game was loaded and i reached the "click to start" screen the temperature quickly rose to 115 C and then the laptop crashed.

Woah, yeah I think we've found the cause, if i remember rightly 115 is the maximum operating temp for a nvidia GPU. If it's rising that quickly I wouldn't be suprised if your gpu's fan had stopped working. If you still have your warranty i'd send it back to the manufacturers. Even if the fan isn't broken it should still be able to play a game like this without crashing this quickly, It may be something faulty with the way it was put together, or the way it was designed. If so tell them you bought the laptop to play games on and it doesn't work as it should.

THANK YOU SO MUCH

i really appreciate the help that youve given me, the warranty is still valid so ill make preperations to get it fixed soon. I honestly cant tell you how happy I am

no problem, If you got as far as you say you have without any problems its most likely that the fan has gone, so ignore what i just said about bad design

man , yeah im used to my computer overheating, well it used to untill i took the side panel off, most games dont get my temps up that much but batman is one of them that does though

Originally Posted by deders
    no problem, If you got as far as you say you have without any problems its most likely that the fan has gone, so ignore what i just said about bad design
    Nice job deders and cyborg34572 your guys are a credit to our community.