Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread: Batman's Non-Lethality

Batman's Non-Lethality

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    17

    Batman's Non-Lethality

    I think it's cool how Batman refuses to kill anyone so that they can face justice (mostly because it doesn't affect gameplay) but something is amiss.

    The Batarang.

    It's a 6 inch sharpened metal spike that Batman sends whirling through the air. Into the face of a bad guy. Now, I'm no expert doctor or anything, but I'd assume that a huge metal spike embedded behind your frontal lobe might affect your basic motor skills. Like breathing.

    How is it that no one dies from Batarangs?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    6,831
    The same reason Batman hitting people on the head doesn't cause people to die.

    To tell a story. Really theres loads of events in all kinds of Batman media where Batman should have died or physically unable to do. It's just those aspects were you just have to *believe* it doesn't happen. =p

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    1,830
    This is why Batman 89' is win.

  4. #4
    because he is using the cheap plastic batarang form the ce

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    1,083
    Originally Posted by Bruce-Wayne
    because he is using the cheap plastic batarang form the ce


    This.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    20
    Actually I'm pretty sure I killed somebody.

    It's hard to describe but after you get the line launcher there is an area where a pit separates you and a group of thugs, I pulled out my trusty bat claw and pulled him into the pit.

    Sure I heard a splash sound, but there was no way out of that pit, so he'll probably tread water until he drowns...

    I feel guilty now.

  7. #7
    Because it's not real.

  8. #8
    You see in this world theres 2 kinds of ppl my friend Those with loaded guns and those who dig You dig

  9. #9
    Ahh, I was gonna post that, good to know someone else reads Ctrl+Alt+Del
    Have you noticed that batman's enemies have an obsession with paper? It has been noted that Bane will "Fold Batman Like Paper" and Killer Croc would enjoy "Ripping Off Batman's Skin Like Paper"

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    1,083
    Originally Posted by Rieff
    Actually I'm pretty sure I killed somebody.

    It's hard to describe but after you get the line launcher there is an area where a pit separates you and a group of thugs, I pulled out my trusty bat claw and pulled him into the pit.

    Sure I heard a splash sound, but there was no way out of that pit, so he'll probably tread water until he drowns...

    I feel guilty now.


    Funny

  11. #11


    That's seriously funny.

  12. #12
    That comic works so much better if you just look at the 2nd and 4th panels.

  13. #13
    Screw B^U

    I can't believe people actually find his trash funny.
    The Blackest Night falls from the skies, the darkness grows as all light dies, we crave your hearts and your demise, by my Black Hand, the dead shall rise!

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    311
    Originally Posted by Rieff
    Actually I'm pretty sure I killed somebody.

    It's hard to describe but after you get the line launcher there is an area where a pit separates you and a group of thugs, I pulled out my trusty bat claw and pulled him into the pit.

    Sure I heard a splash sound, but there was no way out of that pit, so he'll probably tread water until he drowns...

    I feel guilty now.
    I did that, too!

    I was beating the game in a hurry for the second time when I saw all those thugs. It got me thinking, "How can I avoid this fight?"

    So I too whipped out the Batclaw and sent them all into the pit. I think the folks at Rocksteady added the splashing sound effects so that no one would worry about Batman "killing" anyone.

    It's still hilarious to hear them scream and fall into the darkness. Thing is, if you let Batman fall down there...he dies. So I guess its safe to assume that the thugs are dead.

    And if they don't die immediately then Croc probably gets them.


  15. #15
    Originally Posted by Larfleeze
    Screw B^U

    I can't believe people actually find his trash funny.
    What?
    Have you noticed that batman's enemies have an obsession with paper? It has been noted that Bane will "Fold Batman Like Paper" and Killer Croc would enjoy "Ripping Off Batman's Skin Like Paper"

  16. #16
    Originally Posted by Yonmaja
    I think it's cool how Batman refuses to kill anyone so that they can face justice (mostly because it doesn't affect gameplay) but something is amiss.

    The Batarang.

    It's a 6 inch sharpened metal spike that Batman sends whirling through the air. Into the face of a bad guy. Now, I'm no expert doctor or anything, but I'd assume that a huge metal spike embedded behind your frontal lobe might affect your basic motor skills. Like breathing.

    How is it that no one dies from Batarangs?
    The reality of shuriken, which Batarangs are basically a form of, is quite different from their ninja-movie portrayal. An actual shuriken merely grazes the skin - acting more as a psychological weapon than a lethal one.

  17. #17
    Originally Posted by ScholarsInk
    The reality of shuriken, which Batarangs are basically a form of, is quite different from their ninja-movie portrayal. An actual shuriken merely grazes the skin - acting more as a psychological weapon than a lethal one.
    Well, as Kane originally imagined it , it was modelled after the Australian aborigine's boomerang, a hunting weapon, which if used by an experienced hunter, could kill a full grown kangaroo.The batarang was a decidedly underpowered version, though, primarily used as a non-lethal weapon, used either to knock out, or, with a rope attached, to tie up criminals and as a grappling device. It's only in recent history it's become more of a shuriken type weapon. As you say, a shuriken's lethality is pretty much, like most martial arts concepts in movies and the like, largely exagerrated.

  18. #18
    I dunno... a sharpened metal edge slicing along a relatively shallow artery or vein is probably gonna seriously mess up someone's day.

  19. #19
    But what about all those walls you blow up with people behind them? I like finding Dr. Young when she's surrounded and sometimes the giants debris smacks thugs in the face and whatnot. That's a lot of speed, and a lot of weight. They're not waking up.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    23
    How about the Ring Outs you can do?

  21. #21
    What really bugs me about the Batarang is that the edge is SHARPENED, a single Batarang can cut through a rope capable of supporting a massive chandelier, but apparently it can't even break human skin... Another frustrating gadget is the Explosive Gel, which can break through concrete walls, knock out a Super-Titan, and in a high enough quantity smash a hole through solid rock... but it won't even knock out a thug standing next to it... much less kill them.

  22. #22
    And where does he put all this stuff? All the gadgets he carries in the game are WAY too large to fit in his belt. And that goes for the apparently infinite supply of batarangs. I try not too worry about such details, though, it kinda squleches the fun a little if you think too hard about this stuff.

  23. #23
    A friend of mine saw that picture and said the Batman actually DOES HAVE A SUPERPOWER. It's not a conventional superpower, but if Batman doesn't want someone to die, they don't die. That's his superpower.

  24. #24
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Maryland, USA
    Posts
    7,649
    haha

    And yeah, a sharpened boomerang (not spike) flying through the air that can break open a control panel, slice into floor tiling, walls, brick, rock, through steel or dense hemp rope, would definitely slice through someone's head. In fact, it would be a lot like this:



    And yeah, that explosive gel would kill people in real life, or really mess them up. That stuff isn't safe fun for the whole family Neither are large wall/rock debris blasting out into people.

  25. #25
    Originally Posted by The Hylden
    haha

    And yeah, a sharpened boomerang (not spike) flying through the air that can break open a control panel, slice into floor tiling, walls, brick, rock, through steel or dense hemp rope, would definitely slice through someone's head. In fact, it would be a lot like this:



    And yeah, that explosive gel would kill people in real life, or really mess them up. That stuff isn't safe fun for the whole family Neither are large wall/rock debris blasting out into people.
    Kant believe i wasted 3 mins to watch that...lame
    Click to see my video projects --->>> Dufase19089

Page 1 of 2 12 Last