Thread: 'Gordon Crash' - Information Request

'Gordon Crash' - Information Request

Originally Posted by Muggins
    Afro-samurai - you're crashing in a different location as the others, which is interesting. Have you been able to control batman at this point?

Longshot - when you say you followed the steps laid out by other forum members, did you swap out *all* files or only those files in the max folder? It sounds like some of your data from the rest of the installation may be faulty. I focussed on the Max folder as its small and easy to look at compared to the whole installation.

1155KB for Max_A1_CH2567_PhysX.umap is actually correct, somehow that typo slipped through. I'll edit my original text.

Can you confirm if this crash does not occur when physx is turned off?
    From what I saw the A1_CH PhysX file doesn't get patched. You have to look at the other A1 file.

Case B:

Q. Does the game still crash when you do not sign in to any account (i.e. saving is disabled).
    A. NO

Q. Is your 'My Documents' folder in the default location?
    A. No, It is on a separate drive

Q. Do you have administrator rights on the account you are attempting to run the game?
    A. Hell yes

my OS is Windows 7 x64, this is very annoying bug... do you guys just not beta test your games at all?

temporary fix for this is to move your 'my docs' folder back to default C location, i appreciate its not ideal but it should get you past this problem.

Thanks!

Was having problem A since getting the game and this thread solved my issues! Thanks Muggins et. al!

Originally Posted by Muggins
    temporary fix for this is to move your 'my docs' folder back to default C location, i appreciate its not ideal but it should get you past this problem.
    Unfortunatly due to the fact that the "My Documents" folder is an entire drive and I am using Windows 7 this "solution" is simply not viable.. this is a big let down as I have not been able to play the game since I bought it on release, what is taking so long for a patch?? Surely it would be very small and easy to fix......

Originally Posted by Isellsigals
    Unfortunatly due to the fact that the "My Documents" folder is an entire drive and I am using Windows 7 this "solution" is simply not viable.. this is a big let down as I have not been able to play the game since I bought it on release, what is taking so long for a patch?? Surely it would be very small and easy to fix......
    Since you're on Windows 7, you're almost certainly using an NTFS file system... if so, have you ever created a symbolic link before? If not, give it a shot -- that might get you were you need to be (although I'm not sure I entirely understand your problem or why it's a problem, so please take this with a grain or two of salt). Using a symlink, your files/directories stay where they are, but the symbolic link makes it appear that they are also in whatever location you want them to be. Symlinks can also traverse drives and even UNC paths (e.g., I could link \\myserver\videos to C:\Videos)... Check out this Wikipedia article for more info:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NTFS_symbolic_link

Sample syntax to create a "Batman" folder on the root of C: that really points to C:\Windows\Temp:

Code:
    mklink /d c:\Batman c:\Windows\Temp
    If your temp directory has any subfolders you'll note that the file system and other applications "believe" that C:\Batman is its own entity and all relative paths underneath C:\Windows\Temp also appear under C:\Batman. Hope this helps.

Tried creating the symlink but still got the same error :/

works fine when not signed in to a profile... this need a patch.

Ugh... sorry to hear that, I was eagerly monitoring the forum to see if I had indeed accomplished my good deed for the year.

I can only speculate based on how easy the fix was to so many other problems a patch should be forthcoming soon. Good luck mate.

I'm facing a huge problem, as the solution suggested I cut and pasted entire Batman Arkham Asylum directory to another drive's temp folder, installed the title update and pasted them back (without overwriting). It made double copies of many files and now when I try to start game it gives an error. What was I supposed to keep in the temp folder and not overwrite?

how about a skip intro patch?

Originally Posted by Isellsigals
    Rather than move all your old files, you should be able to move the path for the my docs folder without moving all existing files (i've tried this with XP and Vista so far, i believe this is the same for W7 but i haven't seen for myself yet and don't have it in front of me right now). From the start menu, right click documents, properties, location. The knock on effect of this is that any new files you want to save in 'my documents' would then be in 2 possible locations and again, this is not ideal at all.

This problem seems to come up if the drive is physically different from your windows installation (or possibly the game installation, i'm not 100% sure which yet). Different partitions of the same physical drive do not seem to exhibit this problem so far.

Originally Posted by onikrulz
    I'm facing a huge problem, as the solution suggested I cut and pasted entire Batman Arkham Asylum directory to another drive's temp folder, installed the title update and pasted them back (without overwriting). It made double copies of many files and now when I try to start game it gives an error. What was I supposed to keep in the temp folder and not overwrite?
    i've not heard of this one so far, and am not sure what in windows would cause it. It would be a pretty daunting task to manually delete all 'wrong' copies. If you could post a little more information about your windows version someone reading this with more knowledge on the operating systems might be able to help.

Any word from the devs? Are they working on a fix for this... this is GAME BREAKING for me and can't play my *** game I purchased legitimately.

I had this problem - the game seemed hang at the Gordon cutscene, but I managed to get it going again by alt-tabbing back to the desktop and back. The cutscene then stuttered, but continued, with the audio slightly out of sync.

Well this will be the last Eidos game that I buy. Very disappointed, haven't been able to play for 5 days now... wtf is up with that... this is a simple error to fix and I have never had an error like this in any other game before, get your heads out of your assess and fix the *** error.

So when in the heck is a proper patch going to be released? THE PATCHER IS BROKEN. Hence the problems many people in this thread are/were having until a TEMPORARY fix was found.

It was nothing basically. Your solution worked muggins. My problem was that I didn't overwrite but copied both sets into the folder that's why most files had 2 copies instead of just cancelling the overwrite and selecting "Don't Copy". Now I'm past the Gordon crash, and for Eidos to know that I'm using an 8800GT 512mb and playing with Physx on High just Anti aliasing reduced to 4x to make the game smoother.

Originally Posted by betelgeus
    how about a skip intro patch?
    From Muggins' work and what I can tell, the problem is not the intro itself... this is simple Bink video and it plays fine even after the game has crashed. The problem is related to loading the next level/map, which happens in the background during the intro/cutscene.

I am also have this General Protection Fault issue.

GImage:GImage() Address=0xa11367 (filename not found)
    GImage:GImage() Address=0xa00e9a (filename not found)

This whole business of moving all folders/files and installing the patch and moving files/folders back in. How about just installing the patch? Wouldn't it overwrite all necessary files?

Btw, about this patch that is posted. Is that patch for D2D versions too?
    I7 3770K @ 4.4 gig, ASRock Z77 Extreme6, 16 Gigs DDR3 1600 , EVGA GTX 680, X-Fi Xtreme Gamer Pro, Z-5500 5.1, Corsair TX750w, Windows 7 Pro x64

OK, I'll answer my own questions. The patch posted in this forum does work for the D2D version. Just installing this patch doesn't help. Dunno why, evidently something doesn't get overwritten. Tried the other way. Renamed Batman folder, ran patch (which created the original folder again). Copied the folders/files in the patched Batman folder over to the renamed Batman folder, overwriting everything. Deleted patched Batman folder, renamed the renamed folder back over to the original Batman folder name. Worked like a charm, now I can run physx without the General Protection Fault issues. I don't know how you guys figured this out but Kudos to all of you involved in this fix.
    I7 3770K @ 4.4 gig, ASRock Z77 Extreme6, 16 Gigs DDR3 1600 , EVGA GTX 680, X-Fi Xtreme Gamer Pro, Z-5500 5.1, Corsair TX750w, Windows 7 Pro x64

There better be a *** patch for this error with the "Documents" folder tomorrow.. you eidos I haven't been able to play for a week now and no word on a patch?? ye? you

Thought i'd chime in with my specific info, hopefully it'll help the devs/techs to fix some of the issues

**Case A**
    Further problem is that the game crashes when i want to quit to menu, and sometimes the game hangs during random cutscenes, even with Physx disabled.
    I did finish the game on easy before i patched, so i'm not in a particular hurry, but it would be nice to be able to replay on other difficulties.
    WITH Physx.

Operating system is Vista x64, fully patched, newest version of GFWL, latest Nvidia drivers (190.65) and all the latest Creative sound drivers (2.18.13)

Bought the game through Direct2Drive.
    Patch installed via G4WL.
    Had the demo installed, via Steam, but i uninstalled prior to installing, and i thoroughly cleaned all traces of it from my disc and registry.

My G4WL account is not new, it has 2 other games (Gears of War, Fallout 3), both run fine with this account.

---------------------------------------------
    Differing files :

Max_A1_PhysX.umap - 666 KB - 18/09

Max_C8_PhysX.umap - 1,039 KB - 18/09
    Max_C9_PhysX.umap - 804 KB - 18/09

Haven't tried to play without logging in to live yet with Physx on, i will try that later today and amend my post with that info
    ---------------------------------------------
    Further system info :

Running software :
    No 3rd party firewall, only Vista's built in one
    Eset Nod 32 antivirus
    EVGA Precision
    Logitech setpoint
    Logitech G-series key profiler
    Logitech LCD Manager

Hardware :

EVGA 780i Sli motherboard
    Intel E8400 cpu
    Kingston HyperX RAM, 2 GB
    EVGA GTX275 896 MB version
    EVGA 9800GT for Physx
    Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer Fatal1ty Pro Series
    Corsair 750TX PSU (750 watts)
    Seagate 465 GB 16B cache SATA II HD

Haven't tried the "workaround" since i don't feel like uninstalling the game and then reinstalling and adding the patch since it would have to come from an unofficial source.
    If you folks want/need any other info like dxdiag or similar diagnostics, feel free to pm me.

*Keeps fingers crossed and hopes that a fix will be found before the end of the month*

[edit] Tried the game while not signed into G4WL, with Physx on, still crashes @ the Gordon cutscene [/edit]

Gordon Crash "Case A"

Case A.
    It does not matter if I'm signed into GFWL or not or have PhysX enabled/ disabled. If PhysX is disabled then the whole "Batman walking Joker through the asylum" is slowed to a crawl until you get to the Gordan cutscene.

I had the GFWL account prior to BAA on PC with Xbox360 and used it with 007 Quantum of Solace without issue.

My version is Direct 2 Drive, my spec:

Game patched to 1.1.
    Win7 Ultimate 64-Bit
    DirectX 11
    Core 2 Extreme X6700
    GeForce GTX 280 (tried driver version 190.38 and 190.62)
    4GB Ram
    Intel D975BX2
    Default Win7 Firewall only
    PhysX Files are of correct file size.
    AVG Anti-Virus

One thing that I don't think is clear (at least it was not clear to me) is that PhysX changes need to be made through the Batman Launcher, not through Nvidia Control Panel. I was making changes in Nvidia Control Panel and not seeing any benefit (in fact, seeing the slowness/crawling other people describe) until I remembered that the launcher also offered PhysX settings.

For whatever reason, if you disable PhysX for the entire system through Nvidia, but leave PhysX on for Batman, the game just crawls. Probably one of those things that the game should be able to detect and disable itself, but it doesn't.

Originally Posted by fe-man
    i just found out that if i delete the eidos logo movie file from the game's folder then i can get to the main menu no problem. i also deleted the gorden vid and i can get past that too now.
    I found the videos (movies) folder. What is the name of the Gordon video file?
    Thanks.

Page 3 of 6 First First 123456 Last