Page 1 of 6 12345 ... Last

Thread: 'Gordon Crash' - Information Request

'Gordon Crash' - Information Request

'Gordon Crash' - Information Request

Hi everyone,

Many thanks so far for all the constructive feedback and responses from the community regarding this important issue. We are working hard to try to resolve this for you.

In this thread, I would like to ask those that have the time provide a little more information regarding their specific setup.

Which case most accurately describes your problem?

**Case A** - Game crashes when reaching the FMV where Batman meets Gordon. This particular crash in this location can currently be bypassed if PhysX is turned off.

**Case B** - Game crashes when reaching FMV where Batman meets Gordon. Crash CANNOT be bypassed with PhysX turned off.

General Questions

- What operating system are you using
    - What version did you purchase (i.e. disc, Steam, other online source)
    - How did you install the 1.1 patch (i.e. G4WL or some other source - please list where)
    - Did you have the demo installed, is it still installed?

G4WL account questions

Is your G4WL account...
    -- Brand new for Batman (i.e. no previous game assiciations, probably created recently
    -- Associated to a previously existing Microsoft account (PLEASE DO NOT PASTE INDIVIDUAL ACCOUNT DETAILS) (i.e. is it linked to a Xbox Live 360 account, has this account been used sucessfully on other G4WL titles)

---------------------------------------------

Case A specific questions

- Please check the size & date of your 'Max' Files in your folder found at "[Install path]\Batman Arkham Asylum\BmGame\CookedPC\Maps\PhysX\Maps\max"

(listed in name order, when browsing the folder)
    Max_A1_C.....umap - 1,155 KB - 19/08
    Max_A1_PhysX.umap - 642 KB - 19/08
    Max_B1_C....umap - 61 KB - 07/08
    Max_B1_PhysX.umap - 1,157 KB - 19/08
    Max_B3_PhysX.umap - 2,989 KB - 07/08
    Max_B4_PhysX.umap - 8,504 KB - 19/08
    Max_B5_PhysX.umap - 2,151 KB - 07/08
    Max_B6_PhysX.umap - 938 KB - 19/08
    Max_C1_PhysX.umap - 1,127 KB - 07/08
    Max_C5_PhysX.umap - 1,636 KB - 19/08
    Max_C6_PhysX.umap - 1,140 KB - 07/08
    Max_C8_PhysX.umap - 1,031 KB - 19/08
    Max_C9_PhysX.umap - 779 KB - 19/08
    Max_S3_PhysX.umap - 8,933 KB - 19/08

If your files differ from listed above, please list the differences.

Does the crash still occur when not logged into a profile with PhysX enabled?

----------------------------------------------

Case B specific questions

Does the game still crash when you do not sign in to any account (i.e. saving is disabled).
    - Is your 'My Documents' folder in the default location?
    - Do you have administrator rights on the account you are attempting to run the game?

------------------------------------------------------

We would appreciate it if this thread can be kept civil and as close to the original topic as possible, and again, a big thankyou for your time.

edit - please check dates of files that do not match size of those listed.
    edit2 - fixed typo in filesize

Hello, i'll go first then.

Your cases sort of describe my issue....my game crashes in the cut scene just as batman says "something isn't right, i'm going with him" right at the start, second cut scene.

Now i have done some turning on and off of Physx and other things....it is only when GFWL is signed in to a live account or an offline account that that it crashes. Physx has nothing to do with my issue.

I'm using Windows Vista.
    My Game was delievered by the retail shop "Game" this morning.
    Patch was installed when i logged in first time by GFWL.
    Demo was uninstalled a few weeks ago.

Yes i had a GFWL account already and it's linked to an xbox360 one. I use GFWL on another game or two and they work fine, infact i've been playing a game recently that uses it and it's been fine.

In short my issue is GFWL here...with that turned off and Physx turned on it works fine..

oh and i am an admin.

I use vista so my documents doesn't really exist but it should be in the right place.

Case A for me, does not mater if im signed into live or not, My version is Direct 2 Drive, my spec:

Vista 32bit
    Core 2 Duo E8400
    9800gx2
    4GB Ram
    Direct X10

I was having the Case B

Does the game still crash when you do not sign in to any account (i.e. saving is disabled).
    - NO

Is your 'My Documents' folder in the default location?
    - Nope

Do you have administrator rights on the account you are attempting to run the game?
    - Yes

I just resolved this problem changin my documents folder to the default location.
    But its just boring to change everytime i play it =[

I have Case A.

Vista 32-bit.
    D2D
    Obtained patch the proper way.
    Did not have demo installed

My G4WL account is used for many other games besides this one.

My Max_A1_PhysX file is 666Kb instead of 642Kb.
    Max_C8 is 1039Kb instead of 1031
    Max_c9 is 804 instead of 779

Thanks for the feedback so far.

Kakarotto - glad the method mentioned in other forums worked for you, I'm unsure as to why you would need to change it every time though (i would hope its just a 'set it once' kind of thing).

GrimyGhost - would it be possible to check the filesizes in your physX/map folder?

Dronuk - thanks for the detail, i'm hoping this will be useful.

If you have a date for the files that are different, this will help track where they are from.

Mchart - The file sizes seem to match those from the original disc (when view by browsing the disc). As you were not installing from a disc version we'll need to look into this a little more to be sure.

As Rockatansky suggests, the dates would help confim a suspision that somehow these files may not have been updated.

Are you definately on version 1.1?
    thinking out loud, I wonder if we can find a way for you to be able to reinstall the patch.

Hi,

-Case A

-Vista 64-bit
    -direct2drive
    -GFWL patch 1.1
    -uninstalled demo before installing full game

-GFWL account was new for Fallout 3, used same account for Batman
    -no association with other accounts

These are quite different:

Max A1 C...1155 KB
    Max A1 Physx....666
    Max C8 Physx...1039
    Max C9 Physx...804

-YES the crash still occurs when completely signed out of GFWL.

Hi Ballsguy, can you confirm the dates of these files please?

Originally Posted by Muggins
    Mchart - The file sizes seem to match those from the original disc (when view by browsing the disc). As you were not installing from a disc version we'll need to look into this a little more to be sure.

As Rockatansky suggests, the dates would help confim a suspision that somehow these files may not have been updated.

Are you definately on version 1.1?
    thinking out loud, I wonder if we can find a way for you to be able to reinstall the patch.
    I'm definatly on version 1.1. It says it in the menu. I watched the installer install. I also re-download the installer off of rapidshare and ran it again. No change. Obviously, I would be on version 1.1 if i'm able to change which level of 'PhysX' the game uses in the launcher settings window.

All the dates on my files show 9/15 which co-incides with the fact that thats when they were released for direct2drive.

I would suggest that you package all the correct 1.1 files in something simple like a .rar and let me install them manually. This way we can be sure that its not the patcher causing the issues.

And yes, FYI, the patcher was granted appropriate admin rights before it began installing.

Originally Posted by mchart
    All the dates on my files show 9/15 which co-incides with the fact that thats when they were released for direct2drive.
    Just to clarify,are you talking about the folders or the files?

Folders I can understand being dated 9/15 but the actual files should have the original creation dates.

Originally Posted by Rockatansky
    Just to clarify,are you talking about the folders or the files?

Folders I can understand being dated 9/15 but the actual files should have the original creation dates.
    Files definatly show 9/15.

http://www.whaleslayer.com/date.jpg

please check your Private Messages mchart.

Thanks everyone for the feedback and please keep it coming. Signing off for the day here.

I've also looked at the files provided by Direct2Drive and the 'Max' folder files which we are talking about are an exact match to those with my Batman install w/ 1.1 'applied'. As Muggins suggested, i'm going to delete one of these files and try installing the patch again to see what happens.

I've just applied the patch and it appears the 'wrong' file I deleted has been replaced with the 'right' 1.1 file.

Looks like we found our issue. Can I get a complete list of the files updated with the 1.1 patch?

I can only say that these files need to be changed at the moment, I'll try and get the complete list tomorrow from Jay when he's back in.

Max_A1_C.....umap - 1,115 KB - 19/08
    Max_A1_PhysX.umap - 642 KB - 19/08
    Max_B1_PhysX.umap - 1,157 KB - 19/08
    Max_B4_PhysX.umap - 8,504 KB - 19/08
    Max_B6_PhysX.umap - 938 KB - 19/08
    Max_C5_PhysX.umap - 1,636 KB - 19/08
    Max_C8_PhysX.umap - 1,031 KB - 19/08
    Max_C9_PhysX.umap - 779 KB - 19/08
    Max_S3_PhysX.umap - 8,933 KB - 19/08

All the patch maps should be dated 19/08/2009

The issue has been solved. My game works with Physx on 'High' now.

Since I have Vista, I just went in a deleted everything in the Batman folder. I then applied the patch. I then chose 'Restore All' in my Trashbin and didn't overwrite any files.

Yep. The patcher wasn't patching right - Like I suspected, and thanks to Muggins and Rockatansky the issue has been solved

Thanks for the help guys. Now roll out a patcher that works!

I'm guessing the patcher your using didn't overwrite the old files with the new files since the creation date on the old files was newer. All of the patched files are in the PhysX folder, and there are some like the Shader cache in the BMEngine folder that didn't patch right either.

Well.. Now it's off to finally play the game.

Now it works for me too. Superb work Muggins, Rockatansky, Mchart
    & co.

I was subject to case A: game would freeze at the Gordon cut scene
    when physx enabled, no matter whether I was logged in to Live or not.
    I bought my game as a download on EB games website.

I did as mchart suggested:
    I went into the batman folder, cut all the files, and pasted them into
    a temporary directory. I then ran the 1.1 patch (which I found on
    the bittorrent tracker mininova.org). Then I pasted all the original
    files back into the batman folder, but did not overwrite any files.

Now the game works on physx set to high, and does not crash
    at the Gordon cut scene, and also does not crash at the Szazs
    hostage scene. Oh Yeah

Im off spending the night in front of my PC now

YES!!1
    it works! thank god..

good news! Glad to be of help for this case, we'll keep looking into other similar issues as i dont think we will have nailed this for everyone (and imho this fix is not really ideal ).

I am Case A;
    if I turn PhysX off, I can bypass the scene

- What operating system are you using: Windows Vista 64x
    - What version did you purchase (i.e. disc, Steam, other online source): Direct2Drive
    - How did you install the 1.1 patch (i.e. G4WL or some other source - please list where) I used the Games Four Windows Live to apply the patch
    - Did you have the demo installed, is it still installed?: I installed the demo and the pirated version. Both are uninstalled; reinstalled full game with activation key. I had a few issues with reinstallation (due to Windows Installer believing the game was still installed http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=95893), but both are uninstalled and I have the live version now activated.

holy dooley! Muggins, you are Das UberMensch!

now i gotta move all my documents to the C drive <_<
    http://www.buildyourimagination.co.uk

Worked for me also...Great work all!!! I found the update on rapidshare....(search rapidshare on the forum here and you'll find the links)

Repeated same process as described, made "TEMP" directory, dumped all contents of the Batman Arkam Asylum directory into it...then ran the patch. Once complete, cut and pasted all goodies from the temp directory back without allowing overwrites...

PhysX on high setting works.....

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... Last