Thread: Spinning Problem

Spinning Problem

Unhappy Spinning Problem

Hi, I hav encountered a very strange bug with the Steam version of the game that makes it unplayable. At the first part of the game where you can control Batman for the first time, the camera just starts spinning at a fast rate. There doesn't seem to be anyway to stop this, as you can't scroll the mouse fast enough to counteract it. I have tried reinstalling and signing out of GFWL, but nothing helps

Any help would be appreciated!

This is a very widely-known issue that can actually happen in any game.

You need to unplug all USB devices from your computer except your mouse and keyboard. Especially joysticks, wheels, and any other gamepads or controllers.

The problem happens because the computer gets confused about what device it is supposed to take controller input from, and it freaks out. Removing everything but your mouse and keyboard should un-confuse it. You might also have to restart. Reinstalling or re-signing in won't help.

Thanks a lot, that has solved it. Thanks again!

Really the "Fix"?

Is the "fix" really to unplug all USB devices, including gamepads? Is there no way to use a gamepad, not created by Microsoft (i.e. Thrustmaster, Logitech, etc.). The gamepad I have is a Thrustmaster Firestorm DP2 and am appalled that it doesn't work with this game. This "fix" would be classified as more of a "workaround" as opposed to a "fix".

I'm guessing the game is using XInput, which primarily supports XBox 360 controllers. Is there no way to tell the game to use DirectInput rather than XInput. Would that fix the issue?

It can happen in pretty much any 3D game where you can look around, it's not a bug specific to Batman: Arkham Asylum.

And no, it doesn't have to be only just your mouse and keyboard. The point of this workaround is to play it safe and only have ONE type of controller in at the time. I said mouse and keyboard because he mentioned he was using the mouse. Obviously, if someone having the spinning problem is using a controller then they would leave only that plugged in during the game.

Non-Microsoft gamepads work with the game (although maybe not quite as well) but the whole "Xinput vs. DirectInput" battle that is a separate issue. I don't know if an option to switch between the two methods would help.

During the Demo, someone had the same issue and it was found that they had both a 360 controller and a joystick plugged in at the same time. They removed the joystick and the problem stopped.

I somewhat understand the need to unplug a controller if you have two attached. I only have one controller plugged in though, as well as keyboard & mouse. Capable_Heart, you're right, it's not just Batman: AA. From what I've found through some searching online, it's common to all games based on the Games For Windows compatibility. Technically, what that means for this issue, is they use XInput, which supports only 360 controllers.

So ultimately, if you have any controller connected to your PC that is not a 360 controller, it must be unplugged. Otherwise, Batman gets dizzy from spinning.