Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tooobbbyyy!!!!!nnnnnnnnoooooooo!!!

Tooobbbyyy!!!!!nnnnnnnnoooooooo!!!

if you dont like tomb raider, look away from the screen then.

Ah well
    A refrigerator- when you open the door, the light goes on, but when you close the door, the light goes off... or does it?

Awww, that's sad. But maybe it won't be so bad without him, he didn't take TR as far as we wanted it to go when he came back. CD's trio are good but just not there yet. Hopefully they wont drop further with him gone.

That's a bit surprising.

I wonder who is in charge of TR9 then. Jason Botta, perhaps? His profile is closed but you can still see "Lead Designer at Crystal Dynamics". It could be out of date though. Like Crystal Dynamics' "150 employees".
    LittleBigPlanet: Croft Manor Beneath the Ashes
    PSN ID: DuskRaider

What did it mean by finished blah blah project??? is TR9 already very far along
    signature image

Quote Originally Posted by NatlaUnleashed94 View Post
    What did it mean by finished blah blah project??? is TR9 already very far along
    probably means that hes finish with his role in the game.

Meaning his imput and ideas or thoughts are no longer needed since he finished those up

Quote Originally Posted by hyrule12 View Post
    Why don't I feel surprised. I mean he wasn't going to spend all of his life on Tomb Raider was he?

When I'm sure there are other projects to unearth. But it's no problem anyway.

he probably saw what was being done with TR 9 and jumped ship before it sank lol. Don't blame the guy

In all Honesty, Toby left Core after TR1 was out, and they did well without him. Though unfortunately they didn't last long and people wanted more then they could give.

CD can make it without him, as Toby said. Either he left, or he was laid off, but whatever happened it wont be a terrible thing.Yes, it is unfortunate for the loss of the legendary Toby Guard, but he might come back to work on his Lara once more, like he did before.
    Nothing is True. Everything is Permitted.
    My.DeviantArt

I found this picture of the young TG: Aah, isn't he cute?

Quote Originally Posted by Goar View Post
    In all Honesty, Toby left Core after TR1 was out, and they did well without him. Though unfortunately they didn't last long and people wanted more then they could give.
    Completely agree, he's not the be all and end all of TR games, many people cite that TR2 is their favourite game, that was the first game without him so it goes to prove that whilst nice to have him there its not really necessary.
    It's been a long time since a came around, been a long time but I'm back in town.

I was sad too, he is a good creator, who will come up with great Tomb Raider ideas now?

Shame He was my favourite creator..

Bye Toby Gard!
    On another Midnight Run, sniffing for trouble, unlucky for some!

Well, this is kind of old news...

I know some TR-fans 'hate' him, don't know why, since without Toby there wouldn't be a Lara Croft in the first place, but whatever. Good luck to him with whatever he is going to do next.
    signature image

Quote Originally Posted by Duckie1996 View Post
    I was sad too, he is a good creator, who will come up with great Tomb Raider ideas now?
    Well, Core did fine without him for years...

I'm not saying that I'm glad he's gone, mind you; I'm just saying that I don't see why some people think it's the end of the world because he's left.

i hope CD can do it, i wonder what toby's next project is gonna be. most importantly, i hope CD takes their time to make sure that this game is gonna be worth the wait. althought goodluck to toby and we thank him for lara :]
    "Various myths use different names but they all apply to the same remnants of the ancient world." - Lara Croft

Who came up with Legend. They were headed in the right direction for a modern TR..... then Toby and eric were hired....... and Underworld was their gift to us... kind of a disappointing sequel..
    signature image

Quote Originally Posted by NatlaUnleashed94 View Post
    Who came up with Legend. They were headed in the right direction for a modern TR..... then Toby and eric were hired....... and Underworld was their gift to us... kind of a disappointing sequel..
    Underworld is what the ''hardcore'' fan base were whining about since Legend first came out and when they got it, they still complained(not surprised). It's the basic pattern of fans really. Cry till you get what you want or something of similar interest and then when you do get what I just mentioned, they still cry some more, it's a never ending cycle

Go to modern type of game play with more shooting and action(Legend), hardcore fan base lets you have it. Try to somewhat bring a feel of older TRs with Underworld, non-hardcore fan base cries.

*Yes I know countless Anti-TRU are going to be like ''Pfft! TRU was nowhere near CORE's TRs'' or whatever,go ahead you'll be talking to a wall lol*

Basically CD will have to give one of the fan bases a shove out the door and it will be the ''hardcore'' fan base, guaranteed. We fans of Tomb Raider and what we consider a Tomb Raider game are in the minority. It wont be long before CD/EIDOS ditch the long time fans for the bigger piece of the pie which is the 3PS genre. While it will anger me, its business and its going to happen soon,rather than later.

It's best to enjoy the games we currently have(TR1 to Underworld) because we will not be seeing games anywhere near their calibur and likeness probably not anytime in the near future because the TR stand point will change drastically to appeal to the bigger market and sadly that does not include us

A non-"classic" Tomb Raider game might be alright. I think people were more bothered about the changes to the biography of Her Ladyship than anything else. If they stop messing with that - it is largely irreleveant to the gameplay IMO - I'm sure the game will be well received. The versions of Lara in the games always were broadly drawn caricatures and not mean to be strictly "realistic".

I have no opinion about Toby Gard leaving as I'm not entirely sure what his role was.

Quote Originally Posted by Natla View Post
    A non-"classic" Tomb Raider game might be alright. I think people were more bothered about the changes to the biography of Her Ladyship than anything else. If they stop messing with that - it is largely irreleveant to the gameplay IMO - I'm sure the game will be well received. The versions of Lara in the games always were broadly drawn caricatures and not mean to be strictly "realistic".

I have no opinion about Toby Gard leaving as I'm not entirely sure what his role was.
    The change in backstory was certainly one of the most annoying parts of Legend 'Revitalization' of the series, which for some strange reason was Toby's idea... I really do not get why, six games into a series a person would change their own character's backstory... was this his was of making Lara more his creation again? Whatever the reason it wasn't that hard to swallow if ou just imagine that CD's TR games are set in a parallel universe to core's ones which most fans have taken as truth.

The more combat heavy focus was not even that really big a problem for me, the main problem was that it was mediocre combat it was just run into a room shoot and continue until end of level with a bit of plaforming spliced in, and of what platforming there was it wasn't really that entertaining considering what had been done previously. It was generic, linear, boring and not identifiable as TR, if you stuck the name Tomb Raider on the game WET then you would just have Legends spiritual (in terms of gameplay) sequel!

What fans who were gained with Legend don't realize it that TR has always been about platforming, not combat which is all they seem to want it to be.. ' make it more like uncharted' well no make it individual like it always has been, there are enough generic shooters for you to play out there and are likely to be hundreds more in the next year or two till the market changes again, if you want a game like uncharted, go and buy uncharted.

Things need to be better balanced with more of a refocused vision on the platforming and puzzles but with decent and entertaining combat also. Again keep what is important to the franchise whilst updating accordingly.
    It's been a long time since a came around, been a long time but I'm back in town.

Couldnt care less. (no offence)
    signature image

Toby Gard, co-creator of Tomb Raider who left Crystal Dynamics earlier this month to become a consultant, gave an interview to GamesIndustry.Biz in which he said game development's going all Hollywood, and that's where he fits in.

Right now, Gard (pictured above) says, the m.o. is to fire a bunch of people at the end of a project, but keep around a core team for future work on the IP. "[A]nd it's not really working out the way it should be," Gard said.

''It seems like the industry wants to move to a more Hollywood model by bringing in experts for shorter periods of time and then leveraging their outsourcing, but also building small teams for projects.

But they haven't actually fully embraced that yet and I'm just wondering whether or not there's a way people will actually start doing that. The industry is still very stuck in its ways of building their internal teams.''

Gard's consulting business - ding ding ding - could exploit that short-term need for experts, which is one reason he left Crystal Dynamics. Another, according to his remarks, is that he'd taken Tomb Raider about as far as he could, and he wasn't working much with Lara Croft anymore.

''It's always difficult doing that but you can get stuck doing the same thing over and over, The only real way that I can really effect Lara Croft is to be in charge of a project. More and more as I was working at Crystal, especially on Underworld where I was just doing cinematic work, the reality is the control of the characters is in the hands of the creative directors and the publisher.''

http://kotaku.com/5360292/tomb-raide...business-model

As i expected, he left because he didn't get his own way... again. That's from reading between the lines of course. As for games studios doing things more like hollywood with smaller teams, its the first we've heard of it from and only from one development team so I dunno if there is truth in what he is saying but smaller teams usually do better work anyway!

Sure, he created Lara and all, but he doesn't seem, to me anyway, that he is a critical part of TR. Almost everything I've read about a TR game in development has been like this: "Oh, well, I heard Toby was going to finally be in charge, so it should be great." Or, "Is Toby in charge? If he isn't then this game is going to be an epic fail!"

Now, those aren't direct quotes, but it seems that it's always "Toby Gard" this, and "Toby Gard that." I really don't understand the hype about him. I really don't have any opinion to the guy, but will someone who loves him please tell me what exactly is so special about him that gets all this worship? Besides creating Lara...
    Humanity is not a species or a race, it is a STATE OF MIND.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast