Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread: will physx work on ati cards when game comes out?

will physx work on ati cards when game comes out?

will physx work on ati cards when game comes out?

eidos have you updated anything to make all effects work with ati cards?

even tho i have ps3 version ill get pc for £20 on release day if so(just for higher res n such)

if not then why?.it works on ps3' lowly 7800gtx and xbox 360' ati card

Originally Posted by betelgeus
    eidos have you updated anything to make all effects work with ati cards?

even tho i have ps3 version ill get pc for £20 on release day if so(just for higher res n such)

if not then why?.it works on ps3' lowly 7800gtx and xbox 360' ati card
    It has NOTHING to do with Eidos. It is physically impossible for them to update what you're talking about.

Nvidia OWN the PhysX system, so of course they are not going to spend their time and money to program the hardware accelerated version of PhysX to run on ATI card hardware.

Sheesh. That would be like deliberately giving money to your competition for no reason.

It does not "work" on the PS3 and 360. The console versions of the games, the PS3 and 360 don't have the "Nvidia PhysX" effects, but you said they did. ???

i repeat it works on xbox 360 and that uses an ATI card plus it works on ps3'7800gtx which is lower than the 8800

i repeat it works on xbox 360 and that uses an ATI card plus it works on ps3'7800gtx which is lower than the 8800
    The console versions of the games do not use the special "PhysX" effects. Like cloth banners, breaking tiles, deforming smoke and steam, etc.

well when you zoom on the console version the background goes slighlty out of focus this only happens on the pc when physx is switched on so i presume that is a part of physx which works on consoles

well when you zoom on the console version the background goes slighlty out of focus this only happens on the pc when physx is switched on so i presume that is a part of physx which works on consoles
    Focusing blur is not a part of the "PhysX" effects. It is not even remotely connected to them.

Edit: I just checked the the PC DEMO. Zooming with focus blur 100% for sure works with PhysX off. I also have an ATI card, so I can't run them anyway.

You don't seem to realize, the "PhysX" effects are designed to make the interactions and motions of physical objects better. That's what they do, physical stuff, pieces of cloth, paper, moving steam, etc. Focus and blur on the screen are not physical objects.

yes i know its part of the unreal engine but you cant get it on pc without turning the physx on

yes i know its part of the unreal engine but you cant get it on pc without turning the physx on
    100% not true. I'm beginning to suspect this whole thread is a troll attempt.

I run the PC Demo, I have an ATI card, and PhysX effects are off.

I still get the focusing blur when zooming.

You don't know what PhysX is or else you wouldn't be saying these things.

PhysX = physics effects. Tearable cloth, mist that swirls around you, lots of breakable things. It has nothing to do with motion blur.

Originally Posted by capable heart
    It has NOTHING to do with Eidos. It is physically impossible for them to update what you're talking about.

Nvidia OWN the PhysX system, so of course they are not going to spend their time and money to program the hardware accelerated version of PhysX to run on ATI card hardware.

Sheesh. That would be like deliberately giving money to your competition for no reason.
    Not quite true, nVidia's offered and Ati's refused. The reason has to do with Ati not wanting to support an api that nVidia owns and would be free to tweak to run better on their hardware / worse on theirs.

Ati users probably will get PhysX support once nVidia ports it to OpenCL, which they'll probably do as soon as DX-compute Havok or whatever finally materializes.

in the first part of the demo turning physx on i see a cobweb by the joker qm and a swirl of smoke between theelectric pylons,but my fps drop from 90 to 12 even when not moving the camera,so it does work therefore software not hardware but why so hug a drop?

could someone with a console check if the same effects are there? my nephews got mine

in the first part of the demo turning physx on i see a cobweb by the joker qm and a swirl of smoke between theelectric pylons,but my fps drop from 90 to 12 even when not moving the camera,so it does work therefore software not hardware but why so hug a drop?

could someone with a console check if the same effects are there? my nephews got mine
    yes if you turn it on with an ATI card your cpu will have to do all the work. no cpu is strong enough to run full hardware physx effects. full hardware physx is designed to be run on a gpu not on the cpu.
    Windows 7 Pro 64 bit || i5 2500K || MSI P67A-G45 || Galaxy GTX570 || G.SKILL Ripjaws 8GB 1600 DDR3 || Samsung F3 1TB || HAF 912 case || Antec Neo Eco 520 watt

The PhysX effects are not in the console version. I have checked PS3 and 360 versions. Everyone has already known this since the game was announced. You must have missed the many many announcements.

Everyone knows it can run on the PC in software, we were only talking about cases of it running on hardware because software is too slow to work at a playable framerate.

You will notice that in my very first reply (2nd post in this thread) I said "hardware accelerated."

This is a serious question: Is English your first language?

nvidia purchased ageia 12 months after the 8800 came out so cant be extra hardware in the cards

nvidia purchased ageia 12 months after the 8800 came out so cant be extra hardware in the cards
    what?
    Windows 7 Pro 64 bit || i5 2500K || MSI P67A-G45 || Galaxy GTX570 || G.SKILL Ripjaws 8GB 1600 DDR3 || Samsung F3 1TB || HAF 912 case || Antec Neo Eco 520 watt

i had a 8800gt ages ago then when nvidia bought aegia i had the option to download a driver that switched physx on(for sherlock holmes i think),therefore my hardware was made before nvidia aquired physx so it cant be hardware incluced on the card extra from an ati card can it.unless they broke into my house and pc.

i had a 8800gt ages ago then when nvidia bought aegia i had the option to download a driver that switched physx on(for sherlock holmes i think),therefore my hardware was made before nvidia aquired physx so it cant be hardware incluced on the card extra from an ati card can it.unless they broke into my house and pc.
    You are right that PhysX is not a hardware componenet. However, to use PhysX you need a GPU with CUDA.

ageia had a ppu for physx but nvidia knew they could use a gpu to do a better job so the gpu itself is now the hardware. there are two ways to get hardware accelerated physx and thats either with the old physx ppu or with a cuda-enabled geforce gpu. now do you get it??

thanks,so back to my first post will eidos make all effects available on ati cards.

I had a look at getting a cheap CUDA enabled nvidia GPU for PhysX because I have a few games that use it. I have an ATI card however it looks like Nvidia have programmed the drivers in such a way that if graphics are being rendered on a card other than Nvidia within the same PC, PhysX is automatically disabled:
    http://www.ngohq.com/graphic-cards/1...s-present.html

Just to warn you before you waste money on a card...

seeing as nvidia isnt the developer if eidos release this as it is im sure thye will be hit by many anti trust suits

thanks,so back to my first post will eidos make all effects available on ati cards.
    are you really that stupid? we have just explained to you what is needed for hardware physx and then you ask the same dumb question again. hardware physx ONLY works on nvidia cards and ageia ppu so get that through your thick skull. also eidos doesnt have to do with what hardware physx can actually run on.

youre not listening,the smoke in the begining and the cobweb by the joker question mark surely these are simple effects which can be turned on .theyre not even impressive or taxing.

If you think that they are not taxing turn on PhysX and enjoy your framerate.

Originally Posted by lostsomething
    PhysX = physics effects. Tearable cloth, mist that swirls around you, lots of breakable things. It has nothing to do with motion blur.

Not quite true, nVidia's offered and Ati's refused. The reason has to do with Ati not wanting to support an api that nVidia owns and would be free to tweak to run better on their hardware / worse on theirs.

Ati users probably will get PhysX support once nVidia ports it to OpenCL, which they'll probably do as soon as DX-compute Havok or whatever finally materializes.
    WTF? are you saying that the fuccking physx is going to be in opencl?
    I dont know but i saw some videos of openCL and it is much much much better than physhietx

First of all swearing is not allowed here.

And nvidia hasn't confirmed that they plan to port PhysX to another framework:

Question to NVIDIA: Can PhysX run on OpenCL?

NVIDIA: Any language out there that promotes GPU computing is something we’re excited about. Hopefully you guys saw the press release we put out that talked about us being the first to deliver an OpenCL driver for developers. It’s one of the reasons Apple picked this top to bottom on their notebooks and a lot of their desktops because we have OpenCL support; we plan on supporting OpenCL. We’re working very closely with Microsoft on DirectX Compute, but we’re also working on our C implementation that runs on our CUDA hardware architecture. So CUDA will support all the languages. It’ll support C; it’ll support OpenCL; it’ll support DirectX Compute.

In terms of PhysX, right now we’ve got a pretty large, deep infrastructure already built with PhysX the way it is, the toolset that we have. We’ve got multi-platform support across Wii, Playstation3, Xbox 360 and even the iPhone now and now on the PC we support GPU, CPU and if people want, even the older PPU is still supported. So right now our plan is to just keep PhysX the way it is moving forward and support the developers the way we are today.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last