Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread: So if the pirated release was the full game with intentional bugs added...

So if the pirated release was the full game with intentional bugs added...

So if the pirated release was the full game with intentional bugs added...

doesn't that mean it was ready since about when the console releases came out? Dangit I like pc versions more and I got spoiled inbetween console release and now

Well, even if it was ready at about the same time as the console versions of the game came out, I can't see how that relates to the "intentional bugs" that are there to trick the pirates.

??

The pirated version was a near final beta.

Originally Posted by The Coca Cola Company
    The pirated version was a near final beta.
    Now to wait for the developers to say this

The leaked release has a few files that are older than those of the demo, no PhysX option in the loader, and if you manually activate PhysX the game crashes.

Pirates of the game have a considerable inferior experience than what we legal customers will have

it wasnt bugs, just the securom copy protection

The leaked release has a few files that are older than those of the demo, no PhysX option in the loader, and if you manually activate PhysX the game crashes.

Pirates of the game have a considerable inferior experience than what we legal customers will have
    they already found the way to activate the physx

If you do so the game crashes and the performance is horrible.
    When it becomes available in stores it won't have any of these problems!

Yes, but they also get to have that experience three weeks before legal customers of the game do, and when legal customers do get their games, pirates will have access to the full experience too (because that's how these things work).

Now compare what pirates get now to what legit PC customers get now. The comparison isn't nearly as favourable, is it?

Frankly I don't see why they couldn't have just released early and patched PhysX in later - especially as some people won't even be able to use PhysX in the first place, so they're getting unnecessary delays

Battlestations: Midway Lieutenant Commander
    Why don't they release the new car now and add the steering wheel later?

There is more to releasing a game than just picking a date. There are other things they have to take into account like setting up time for the printers to print up manuals, covers, game sleeves, mass duplication, marketing and other things.

Now compare what pirates get now to what legit PC customers get now. The comparison isn't nearly as favourable, is it?
    I much prefer to get nothing now while waiting for the real thing than play for a while.. then stop so that the crackers can release an updated crack.. then stop again because of yet another trigger.. then stop and start the whole game from the beginning because the newest crack doesn't work with old saves.

It's far more immersing to play from start to finish, when you want, how much you want, without any glitches, than reloading the game 50 times and praying that this time the trigger won't happen.. or going back to an earlier place in the game just because you've read online that it might let you progress, or editing the game files to make your character float, or skip some battles, or whatever.

I wouldn't want to spoil my experience. Not for a game like this.

Originally Posted by chip5541
    Why don't they release the new car now and add the steering wheel later?
    A steering wheel is an essential component of a car. PhysX is not an essential component of Arkham Asylum - as evidenced by the fact there are several versions without PhysX out there. How many cars are for sale without steering wheels?

Originally Posted by chip5541
    There is more to releasing a game than just picking a date. There are other things they have to take into account like setting up time for the printers to print up manuals, covers, game sleeves, mass duplication, marketing and other things.
    The reason for the delay was specifically given as the addition of PhysX. So again, why could a non-PhysX version not be released and PhysX patched in later? it's not as if PhysX is an essential component of the Unreal engine. All those other delays would have been factored into the original, pre-delay release date, correct?

In fact, if the delays are being caused by the things you mention, then surely the digitally distributed versions should be released early (but that's the same crazy logic that dictates that digital versions should be cheaper because there's no printing, pressing, packaging, distribution or storage costs)

I find that waiting for the game is enjoyably suspenseful.

Originally Posted by Catlettuce
    The reason for the delay was specifically given as the addition of PhysX. So again, why could a non-PhysX version not be released and PhysX patched in later? it's not as if PhysX is an essential component of the Unreal engine.
    I'm not saying PhysX was the ONLY reason for the offset release dates, but seriously, you wouldn't say stuff like that if you had made levels in an Unreal Engine game.

You need time to integrate and bug-test stuff. It would cause way more problems than it's worth to "release it as a patch later." It's better to be well-integrated.

A steering wheel is an essential component of a car. PhysX is not an essential component of Arkham Asylum - as evidenced by the fact there are several versions without PhysX out there. How many cars are for sale without steering wheels?
    I'm pretty sure that when they made the deal with nvidia to include Physx, there wasn't an option to release the game and patch it later. How can they market the game as "including PhysX effects" if these effects will not be available for about a month?

Also we don't know if the maps needed several adjustments which would mean shipping a patch of several GBs!

I'm pretty sure that when they made the deal with nvidia to include Physx, there wasn't an option to release the game and patch it later. How can they market the game as "including PhysX effects" if these effects will not be available for about a month?

Also we don't know if the maps needed several adjustments which would mean shipping a patch of several GBs!
    Well since Nvidia are releasing a similar pack shortly for Terminator Salvation, I think it's safe to conclude it is possible.

The reason for the delay was specifically given as the addition of PhysX. So again, why could a non-PhysX version not be released and PhysX patched in later? it's not as if PhysX is an essential component of the Unreal engine. All those other delays would have been factored into the original, pre-delay release date, correct?

In fact, if the delays are being caused by the things you mention, then surely the digitally distributed versions should be released early (but that's the same crazy logic that dictates that digital versions should be cheaper because there's no printing, pressing, packaging, distribution or storage costs)
    Good grief, you guys are really getting ridiculous. You have to wait a whopping three weeks. Big deal. Get over it. Release the game without PhysX just because some guys are too impatient to deal with three weeks delay? Why not release the game in alpha state? It's playable, right? I'm sure quite a few people would deal with the bugs happily if they could just play the game a few months earlier... the others can wait until it's patched.

Why the digital distribution version isn't released prior to the retail version? Probably because the retailers wouldn't exactly like that idea, would they? If the digital distribution was available a week early, for example, retail sales would drop even further.

Originally Posted by capable heart
    I'm not saying PhysX was the ONLY reason for the offset release dates, but seriously, you wouldn't say stuff like that if you had made levels in an Unreal Engine game.
    Funny you should say that, I've made maps for all the UT games (which are, strangely enough, Unreal engine games)

Originally Posted by SteMot
    Well since Nvidia are releasing a similar pack shortly for Terminator Salvation, I think it's safe to conclude it is possible.
    You are right but Terminator is a mediocre licenced game (and I wonder who is developing the PhysX pack now that Grin doesn't exist.. probably it was outsourced to another studio). On the other hand Batman is an AAA quality title and I believe they want to provide "the PhysX enhanced experience" from the start.

You are right but Terminator is a mediocre licenced game (and I wonder who is developing the PhysX pack now that Grin doesn't exist.. probably it was outsourced to another studio). On the other hand Batman is an AAA quality title and I believe they want to provide "the PhysX enhanced experience" from the start.
    What does being a mediocre game have to with it? I was simply explaining that a patched in PhysX option would be possible after you stated:

So it's clearly possible. The only reason for them not releasing it early and patching it in later is because they didn't want to. Nothing wrong with that, but it's clear it can be done.

I meant that nvidia might think that it's a very good game to promote their hardware and they don't want the majority of the players to play the "simple" version first. Because most people after they finish the game won't be bothered to replay it just for the added PhysX effects.

Or it's like you said: they simply didn't want to. After all it is a business decision.

physhiet x sucks bad, i mean what can you get some flying papers and some buggy cloth, lets wait to see opencl, it will definetly rock

OpenCL is not a physics engine, it's just a framework, so you can't compare it with PhysX.

A physics engine built on OpenCL can either be good or bad, it really depends on the effort people put in it.

i have waited this long i can wait a little longer.. but if we get to the release date and they announce they are pushing it back another month i may suffer some sort of breakdown.... dress up in a themed costume and start a reign of terror.

many think it was eidos themselves that released the d2d version

Page 1 of 2 12 Last