Thread: FFVII Saving - Question and Issues

FFVII Saving - Question and Issues

Would like to point out that I started a fresh save, and the game has yet again erased about 6 hours of progress. Local saves gone, refusing to download the incredibly out-dated cloud saves (because it hasn't synced with the cloud since the first day I owned the game) and equally refusing to update the cloud with my new local saves.

Firewall was disabled the whole time I played, and achievements I got during the game were syncing to the server. Just not the saves.

I downloaded and installed the game tonight, saved the game at the first save point in the reactor and it saved fine. After reaching next save point in the Sector 7 slums and trying to save, it opens the save file screens but won't let me save and my earlier save seems to have disappeared too. Good thing I didn't play further before noticing this, annoying to lose hours of process. :/

I posted about this as well. It happened a little later in the game.

I restarted from my last save point and played 20 mins, and now can't save again.

What gives.

Give it a few minutes to "download and sync"

I was running into that yesterday and it was bloody annoying.

We should be able to fall back using our local saves rather than having to depend on syncing from servers...

Originally Posted by lyk13

We should be able to fall back using our local saves rather than having to depend on syncing from servers...

Agreed. It also makes local backup pointless. >.<

been looking for that answer myself, with no luck.

Local save files are located in your documents.

Ex:

C:\Jonathan\Documents\Square Enix\FINAL FANTASY VII

C:\Brandt\Documents\Square Enix\FINAL FANTASY VII

C:\KanInchen\Documents\Square Enix\FINAL FANTASY VII

They're both stored in the cloud and on your PC. The cloud saves will overwrite your local save when it connects so if you plan on having local backups then you should save them to a different directory to be safe.

Some people cannot connnect to the cloud dependably (myself included as of yesterday) so make sure to check if the game saved to the cloud when you save each time. This information will be in the top left hand side of the screen.

I am having trouble connecting today and you can't save until it syncs.

Originally Posted by MoonUnit

Originally Posted by lyk13

Agreed. It also makes local backup pointless. >.<

Initially I thought local backup is that in the event we can't sync, it will save to local and later be sync to the cloud. BUT, if accessing save always download from the cloud, what use is there? LOL...

It saves locally, but for whatever reason they made it so you cannot access the save files until the remote sync has finished (I would think they could just run the sync thread after you try saving while you are in game, which I think they do.)

I can under stand why syncing before reading is an issue (since you need to make sure the save files are the ones in the cloud) but in game there is no reason to wait for the sync to finish before allowing us to write to the local save files, since the local files should be sync'd when the game client is first loaded anyways.

This is of course assuming we have no multiple-writer problem (e.g., two different clients running simaltaneously on remote locations saving files.)

I wish they would just let us turn off the cloud save function, or let us handle pushing the saves to the cloud when we are all done playing.

bought it this morning and it kept telling me it synced up through the cloud. all I did when I was playing was go to the save menu and wait for it to say it finished. I guess I lost my save then? because it says 'new game' even though in the top left it says the cloud is sync'd.

Originally Posted by imported_Robert

It saves locally, but for whatever reason they made it so you cannot access the save files until the remote sync has finished (I would think they could just run the sync thread after you try saving while you are in game, which I think they do.)

I can under stand why syncing before reading is an issue (since you need to make sure the save files are the ones in the cloud) but in game there is no reason to wait for the sync to finish before allowing us to write to the local save files, since the local files should be sync'd when the game client is first loaded anyways.

This is of course assuming we have no multiple-writer problem (e.g., two different clients running simaltaneously on remote locations saving files.)

I wish they would just let us turn off the cloud save function, or let us handle pushing the saves to the cloud when we are all done playing.

For the love of the Gods this! Why oh why can I not just save locally even wehn not sync'd? SE needs to implement a way to turn off the cloud save and allow us to save to the cloud after I'm finally done for the day.

Since 7 hours no more sync.

I was messing around with the character booster and wasnt that impressed. I saved the file with the character booster on a seperate file and want to delete it. Does anyone know how i can do this?

Originally Posted by Verrot
    I was messing around with the character booster and wasnt that impressed. I saved the file with the character booster on a seperate file and want to delete it. Does anyone know how i can do this?

Well, you can delete it locally at Documents/Square Enix/Final Fantasy VII/user_### but the cloud will just put it back. You can save over it to delete it.

Thank you! I was looking in the wrong folders - was going through my c drive. I dont play while connected to the internet anyway so Im not worried about the cloud saves too much. Thanks again!

Oddly enough, you can indeed save locally if something goes wrong with cloud saves -- but you have to be /very/ patient...

When you access the save screen, a message will appear (briefly) indicating that it is syncrhonizing cloud saves. Until this completes, all of your save slots will be invalid. However, if you wait long enough, a message will appear (also in the upper left hand corner) that "There was a problem syncrhonizing saves, your saves will not be sent to the cloud" and it will allow you to use your local save files. The problem is that it takes ~5 minutes for this message to appear -- and if you leave the save screen (showing the slots) before you get this message, you'll have to go through the whole procedure again.

So... Yeap, you have to be patient...

Yeah I saw that, but still........

Ok, I found it I belive, Im wondering if I can use this save to play on an emulator I have on my tablet and vice versa...

In an attempt to verify it wasn't just my saves, I just started a new game, got to the reactor and saved as soon as I could - it still won't sync. I get the feeling that my cloud saves are probably corrupt and therefore they won't download, but before the game checks that, it erases my local files in preparation. All I want to be able to do is clear the cloud saves and get them syncing again!

I got this error starting last night and it has not worked since, I have saved locally and now it wont update whatsoever. Anyone else having issues here? Any way to copy saves files locally to use?

There are various threads on this - I made one in the tech support forum, and there are a few others. Sometimes it syncs of its own accord, but it seems that sometimes it can just get jammed. I'm hoping square allow us to clear our cloud saves or something to fix this.

Same problem here

My fear is that, because cloud saves take priority of local, that when it DOES sync that all my progress since the servers went down will be lost. Which would be a massive oversight on Square's part, but with all the issues that have been popping up since release, it wouldn't surprise me. But I haven't been able to sync in about 3 hours of gameplay...

Page 3 of 25 First First 123456713 ... Last