Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread: Batman: Gotham City (Fan-Fic Sequel by CapedCrusader1495)

Batman: Gotham City (Fan-Fic Sequel by CapedCrusader1495)

Batman: Gotham City (Fan-Fic Sequel by CapedCrusader1495)

Hey everyone, seeing as there has been a surge of fan fics lately, I've decided to get back into writing my own! Its been a while since I've wrote so I may be a little rusty

My fan fic is my own sequel to Batman: Arkham Asylum. Most of the time, it will be told through the eyes of Batman. Occasionally, it will cut away to the third person.

I'm currently writing the first chapter so bare with me as I release it when I finish each chapter
    My Batman: Gotham City Fan Fic (A sequel to Batman: Arkham Asylum):
    http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthr...=1#post1168741

Okay guys, just finished Chapter One! I will release it tommorow!

Lol you do know Batman is a Giant in that pic! The railing should be at his hips not his toes!
    Click to see my video projects --->>> Dufase19089

Originally Posted by Batman The DLC Hunter
    Lol you do know Batman is a Giant in that pic! The railing should be at his hips not his toes!
    lol sorry, it was kind of rushed .

Here we go guys! Enjoy the Prologue and Chapter 1!

Prologue

The night was cold, raining. It was a bad omen. The giant crescent moon filled up the night’s sky of Gotham City. Overhead, a distant whir of a plane flying through the night’s sky can be heard. This was no ordinary plane, its distinct figure is something that only one infamous person must be flying...the Batman’s.

Chapter 1: Robbery

I hope I’m not too late. After tonight, I don’t think I’ll even have enough in me to get through it. Harvey Dent AKA Two Face was reported to have robbed the First National Bank of Gotham...this night just keeps getting more interesting.

“Bruce? You there?”

Oracle...I haven’t spoken to her for over an hour...not since Ivy’s plants attacked the Batcave under Arkham.

“Oracle, do you have an update on the robbery situation?”
    “Yeah, it looks like Two Face is still in the bank, I don’t know what for though”.

This is getting odder. Why would Harvey stay in the bank? I’m about 30 seconds away from the bank, time is getting short, who knows how many people have been hurt already.

“Oracle, I’m about 25 seconds away, contact your father and tell him the situation, talk to you later”
    “Got it”, Oracle replied.

10 seconds now. I prepare the roof of the Batwing to open up and set it to return back to the Batcave.
    5 seconds. I prepare myself for the jump.
    2 seconds. I jump out and glide down to the bank.

~First National Bank~
    A sense of fear was running throughout the innocent civilians inside the bank.
    “Nobody move a damn muscle!” one of Two Face’s henchmen yelled pointing a gun at a civilian. The civilian was scared beyond belief, sweating and panting, cowering in the corner.
    A figure emerged from the bank vault, wielding an assault rifle of some sorts, with something small and shiny in his other hand.

“Looks like the Bat isn’t showing up...looks like Joker got him for good, once and for all...disappointing”.
    The figure came into plain view. If you looked at him from his right side, he’d look just like any other guy you’d see on the street, possibly a business man. But the other side is a different story. The dark purple and red scars covered the entire left side of his head. This man was Two Face, dressed in a two coloured suit, the left side was white, the other black. His pants were the opposite, the right side black and the left side white.

“Hmm, what should we do with all these pretty little hostages?, Two Face asked his henchmen. His voice had a distinct rasp to it.

Looks like I’m not too late. Now I know why he hasn’t left, he’s taken everyone in the bank hostage. There were rumours circulating that Harvey was cured, a free man...sane. I guess they were wrong.

“Well, this has been one disappointing night...”, exclaimed Two Face. “Time to flip a coin...Heads, you can all run along to your merry little homes and continue your pathetic little lives, Tails, my buddies here won’t have a second thought about blowing you all apart to kingdom come!”.

I’ve got to act fast, I study the area...3 henchmen, not as many as expected. 6 hostages. I pull out three Batarangs, just enough to knock the guns out of their hands.

The shiny silver coin spun upwards into the air as everyone in the room watched anxiously. The coin landed in Two Face’s gloved hand.

“Hmm...tails, must be an unlucky day for all of you”, Two Face exclaimed. “Boys, you know what to do”.
    The henchmen all grinned, and began to aim their guns. At that precise moment, small objects flew out and knocked the guns out of their hands.

“Well, well...looks like things are just getting started”.

A dark figure smashed through the glass ceiling and landed in the middle of the room shocking the civilians and the henchmen.

I’ve got to act quickly and take out these henchmen before Harvey gets away. One of them goes straight for my head, stupid move. I grab his hand and break it behind his back. He screams in pain, begging for mercy. Another one uses this time to his advantage by trying to tackle me to the ground. I quickly dodge and put my foot in his back, grounding him. I grab his arms, and break them both simultaneously. The last henchman is sloppy, he tries to kick me in the ribs. I roll and spin back around to knee him in the ribs, then grabbing his leg and breaking it.

“You put on quite a show Bats”, Two Face said.

Can’t let Harvey get away, not now. I pull out a Batarang, ready to throw at the gun in his hand, but he pulls up his gun shooting out the lights in the room. Damn it, now I can’t tell where he is.

“HAHA! I thought Bats could see in the dark?” Two Face yelled.

I turn on my Detective Vision. Damn it, he’s already made it out of the building. I run out of the entrance, hoping to catch up to him, but he’s already made it to his car. He begins to drive off. I will NOT let him get away. I pull out my grapnel gun and attach to the roof of his car. Suddenly, I can feel myself hovering above the ground and catching up to the car. I am bouncing on and off the concrete as I begin to accelerate towards the car.

“Now THIS is the fun I wanted tonight”, Two Face yelled at Batman”.

I see now. I see now what he wanted to do. He didn’t want to rob the bank, he just wanted to bring me out into the open, lead me on a game of cat and mouse between solely me and him. He’s beginning to remind me of The Joker. Harvey is more insane then ever. I am on the bumper of his car. All of a sudden, gun fire starts blazing out of the rear window. I duck my head on the car. I’m barely holding on, struggling to keep a grip on the car. I pull off the grapnel gun, and attach it to my utility belt. He stops firing and reloads, driving at the same time. This is my chance, I pull myself to the right side of the car, slowly trying to get to the front. I make it, barely. Harvey spots me and pulls out a 9MM handgun, but he is too slow I pull out a Batarang as quick as possible and throw it at his hand. Suddenly, I spot his coin flying through the air. I grab it, without it, he can’t make the simplest decision. Harvey’s face turns into anger and frustration.

“GIVE ME IT BACK!”, he yelled.

Harvey begins to fire at me wildly, I duck and attempt to spray a tire with Frosting Gel. Its taking longer than I want. Suddenly, the car starts to drive to the other side. Harvey’s a good driver, he hasn’t hit a single car or a single pedestrian. It’s also an unwelcome surprise. The car begins to sharply turn around the corner. I finish spraying on the gel. I climb back towards the rear of the car. I pull out the detonator and blow the tire out. The car begins to drift around furiously, this is dangerous, almost stupid of me. People are in danger out here, anybody could get hurt. The car begins to stop and I let go, my back slamming on the ground. It hurts, but I have to work through this pain. I notice Harvey slowly getting out of the car, furious...and confused. He walks up to me with a limp, a crazed look on his face, with his handgun pointed at me. Suddenly, I notice a sense of confusion and fear in his eyes. Then I realize...his coin.

“I...I...don...know...wha...”.

Harvey is confused, he doesn’t know what to do. I think for a moment of what I should do. Should I risk giving him the coin, meaning he would be back to normal, or in his case, what he would call normal. Or should I keep his coin so he can’t make any decisions. Then again, who knows what he would do without his coin. This is a hard decision. Wait a minute.....

What.....

He dropped his gun.....

“Bats.....I’m sorry.....”

What’s happening? Harvey begins to walk off. What is he doing? Harvey gets in his car and begins to drive off, leaving me alone. What’s wrong with him? One moment he is more crazier than usual. The next, he is driving off, making a decision on his own. Something is odd...not right.
    “Batman? Batman? Are you there?” asks Oracle.

“Oracle, I’m here...”

“Are you okay?”, replies Oracle

“Yes...and no.....something is odd about Harvey Oracle...I’ll talk to you later about it”.

“Um...ok...talk to you later then”.

I need to know what’s going on, this night...first the madness at Arkham...now something is going on in Gotham...I can tell. I need to find out what is going on. But first, I’ll need to make a stop home. Suddenly, my transport has already arrived, The Batcycle.

“Oh, by the way Bruce, I sent transport for you”.
    “Thanks Oracle”.

Here we go guys! Enjoy the Prologue and Chapter 1!

Prologue

The night was cold, raining. It was a bad omen. The giant crescent moon filled up the night’s sky of Gotham City. Overhead, a distant whir of a plane flying through the night’s sky can be heard. This was no ordinary plane, its distinct figure is something that only one infamous person must be flying...the Batman’s.

Chapter 1: Robbery

I hope I’m not too late. After tonight, I don’t think I’ll even have enough in me to get through it. Harvey Dent AKA Two Face was reported to have robbed the First National Bank of Gotham...this night just keeps getting more interesting.

“Bruce? You there?”

Oracle...I haven’t spoken to her for over an hour...not since Ivy’s plants attacked the Batcave under Arkham.

“Oracle, do you have an update on the robbery situation?”
    “Yeah, it looks like Two Face is still in the bank, I don’t know what for though”.

This is getting odder. Why would Harvey stay in the bank? I’m about 30 seconds away from the bank, time is getting short, who knows how many people have been hurt already.

“Oracle, I’m about 25 seconds away, contact your father and tell him the situation, talk to you later”
    “Got it”, Oracle replied.

10 seconds now. I prepare the roof of the Batwing to open up and set it to return back to the Batcave.
    5 seconds. I prepare myself for the jump.
    2 seconds. I jump out and glide down to the bank.

~First National Bank~
    A sense of fear was running throughout the innocent civilians inside the bank.
    “Nobody move a damn muscle!” one of Two Face’s henchmen yelled pointing a gun at a civilian. The civilian was scared beyond belief, sweating and panting, cowering in the corner.
    A figure emerged from the bank vault, wielding an assault rifle of some sorts, with something small and shiny in his other hand.

“Looks like the Bat isn’t showing up...looks like Joker got him for good, once and for all...disappointing”.
    The figure came into plain view. If you looked at him from his right side, he’d look just like any other guy you’d see on the street, possibly a business man. But the other side is a different story. The dark purple and red scars covered the entire left side of his head. This man was Two Face, dressed in a two coloured suit, the left side was white, the other black. His pants were the opposite, the right side black and the left side white.

“Hmm, what should we do with all these pretty little hostages?, Two Face asked his henchmen. His voice had a distinct rasp to it.

Looks like I’m not too late. Now I know why he hasn’t left, he’s taken everyone in the bank hostage. There were rumours circulating that Harvey was cured, a free man...sane. I guess they were wrong.

“Well, this has been one disappointing night...”, exclaimed Two Face. “Time to flip a coin...Heads, you can all run along to your merry little homes and continue your pathetic little lives, Tails, my buddies here won’t have a second thought about blowing you all apart to kingdom come!”.

I’ve got to act fast, I study the area...3 henchmen, not as many as expected. 6 hostages. I pull out three Batarangs, just enough to knock the guns out of their hands.

The shiny silver coin spun upwards into the air as everyone in the room watched anxiously. The coin landed in Two Face’s gloved hand.

“Hmm...tails, must be an unlucky day for all of you”, Two Face exclaimed. “Boys, you know what to do”.
    The henchmen all grinned, and began to aim their guns. At that precise moment, small objects flew out and knocked the guns out of their hands.

“Well, well...looks like things are just getting started”.

A dark figure smashed through the glass ceiling and landed in the middle of the room shocking the civilians and the henchmen.

I’ve got to act quickly and take out these henchmen before Harvey gets away. One of them goes straight for my head, stupid move. I grab his hand and break it behind his back. He screams in pain, begging for mercy. Another one uses this time to his advantage by trying to tackle me to the ground. I quickly dodge and put my foot in his back, grounding him. I grab his arms, and break them both simultaneously. The last henchman is sloppy, he tries to kick me in the ribs. I roll and spin back around to knee him in the ribs, then grabbing his leg and breaking it.

“You put on quite a show Bats”, Two Face said.

Can’t let Harvey get away, not now. I pull out a Batarang, ready to throw at the gun in his hand, but he pulls up his gun shooting out the lights in the room. Damn it, now I can’t tell where he is.

“HAHA! I thought Bats could see in the dark?” Two Face yelled.

I turn on my Detective Vision. Damn it, he’s already made it out of the building. I run out of the entrance, hoping to catch up to him, but he’s already made it to his car. He begins to drive off. I will NOT let him get away. I pull out my grapnel gun and attach to the roof of his car. Suddenly, I can feel myself hovering above the ground and catching up to the car. I am bouncing on and off the concrete as I begin to accelerate towards the car.

“Now THIS is the fun I wanted tonight”, Two Face yelled at Batman”.

I see now. I see now what he wanted to do. He didn’t want to rob the bank, he just wanted to bring me out into the open, lead me on a game of cat and mouse between solely me and him. He’s beginning to remind me of The Joker. Harvey is more insane then ever. I am on the bumper of his car. All of a sudden, gun fire starts blazing out of the rear window. I duck my head on the car. I’m barely holding on, struggling to keep a grip on the car. I pull off the grapnel gun, and attach it to my utility belt. He stops firing and reloads, driving at the same time. This is my chance, I pull myself to the right side of the car, slowly trying to get to the front. I make it, barely. Harvey spots me and pulls out a 9MM handgun, but he is too slow I pull out a Batarang as quick as possible and throw it at his hand. Suddenly, I spot his coin flying through the air. I grab it, without it, he can’t make the simplest decision. Harvey’s face turns into anger and frustration.

“GIVE ME IT BACK!”, he yelled.

Harvey begins to fire at me wildly, I duck and attempt to spray a tire with Frosting Gel. Its taking longer than I want. Suddenly, the car starts to drive to the other side. Harvey’s a good driver, he hasn’t hit a single car or a single pedestrian. It’s also an unwelcome surprise. The car begins to sharply turn around the corner. I finish spraying on the gel. I climb back towards the rear of the car. I pull out the detonator and blow the tire out. The car begins to drift around furiously, this is dangerous, almost stupid of me. People are in danger out here, anybody could get hurt. The car begins to stop and I let go, my back slamming on the ground. It hurts, but I have to work through this pain. I notice Harvey slowly getting out of the car, furious...and confused. He walks up to me with a limp, a crazed look on his face, with his handgun pointed at me. Suddenly, I notice a sense of confusion and fear in his eyes. Then I realize...his coin.

“I...I...don...know...wha...”.

Harvey is confused, he doesn’t know what to do. I think for a moment of what I should do. Should I risk giving him the coin, meaning he would be back to normal, or in his case, what he would call normal. Or should I keep his coin so he can’t make any decisions. Then again, who knows what he would do without his coin. This is a hard decision. Wait a minute.....

What.....

He dropped his gun.....

“Bats.....I’m sorry.....”

What’s happening? Harvey begins to walk off. What is he doing? Harvey gets in his car and begins to drive off, leaving me alone. What’s wrong with him? One moment he is more crazier than usual. The next, he is driving off, making a decision on his own. Something is odd...not right.
    “Batman? Batman? Are you there?” asks Oracle.

“Oracle, I’m here...”

“Are you okay?”, replies Oracle

“Yes...and no.....something is odd about Harvey Oracle...I’ll talk to you later about it”.

“Um...ok...talk to you later then”.

I need to know what’s going on, this night...first the madness at Arkham...now something is going on in Gotham...I can tell. I need to find out what is going on. But first, I’ll need to make a stop home. Suddenly, my transport has already arrived, The Batcycle.

“Oh, by the way Bruce, I sent transport for you”.
    “Thanks Oracle”.

Great job I enjoyed that, PM me for a more in detail Review.

Originally Posted by SolidSnake_123
    Great job I enjoyed that, PM me for a more in detail Review.
    Thanks man. Will do

Here is Chapter 2 guys!

Chapter 2: Home

I pull into the Batcave with a sense of comfort, I’m home. I’m glad to be back home, after tonight, I need to calm down and relax for a bit. I get off the Batcycle to be greeted by Alfred, my loyal butler, he is like a father to me.

“Master Wayne I must say you are looking a little worse for ware”.

That’s Alfred’s dry humour. Its nice to come home to familiar faces.

“Good to see you too Alfred”, I reply.

I walk over to the Batcomputer, this cave is like a private place for me, to get away from it all. Ever since I fell through the well above the cave, when I was greeted by those Bats, I knew there was something about the cave. It was like a foreshadowing, an omen to my future.

“I had prepared some dinner for you but considering how long you’ve been gone for it might be a bit cold”.

What would I do without Alfred?

“Thanks Alfred, just heat it up”.
    “Splendid Sir, make sure you don’t run off before its ready”.

I remember, Harvey’s coin is still in my belt. I pull it out, look at it. What was wrong with Harvey, crazy one moment, sane the next. This night is like no other. First everything at Arkham, facing more of my enemies in one night than I’d care to mention, Zsasz, Crane, Bane, Quinn, Croc, Ivy and Joker pumped up on Venom. I feel...lost, I try to help rehabilitate them by returning them to Arkham...but nothing has changed, they seem crazier and insane then before. Am I wasting my time doing this? Trying to save this city, only for it to be brought down by the same people over and over again?

I pull off my wrecked suit, ready to put on a new one, only to stop and study my broken and battered body. Cuts, bruises, surely a few broken bones somewhere, but I don’t have time to mend to the broken bones, I fear the night is just beginning. I wrap some bandages around the numerous cuts and bruises. I walk over and pick up a new suit, its different though...Armoured. It feels just as light as any of my other suits, but with much more protection. The cape, cowl, gloves and boots have a much bluer tint to it. The chest has more layers of protection, same with the legs, surely would stop a knife from getting deep and would sure reduce the impact of gunfire. My utility belt has much more space, which means its time to take something new. My cowl has chin protection as well.

I head over to where I store all my gadgets. I pick up some flashbang grenades, surely will come handy. I also pick up the night vision add on, and tune it into my Detective Vision. Lastly, I pick up smoke grenades, they will be handy as well.

“Bruce? Are you there?”
    “Oracle, I’m here”
    “Looks like we have a situation at the Iceberg lounge, not sure what’s going on but its not good”

The night is just beginning.

Yeah man! Great job man, your really hitting your stride.

Yeah man! Great job man, your really hitting your stride.
    Thanks

Awesome. Really good stuff. You write Batman very well, it holds a lot in common with Dini's writing in Arkham Asylum which I assume you were aiming for considering its a continuation of the story. One point though, you could take more time to flesh out the action, you hold the tension quite well but it could be just a little more fleshed out i think. Seems like its rushing around a bit, but its just a small point. Overall very well written indeed. Good Stuff

Originally Posted by stubs182
    Awesome. Really good stuff. You write Batman very well, it holds a lot in common with Dini's writing in Arkham Asylum which I assume you were aiming for considering its a continuation of the story. One point though, you could take more time to flesh out the action, you hold the tension quite well but it could be just a little more fleshed out i think. Seems like its rushing around a bit, but its just a small point. Overall very well written indeed. Good Stuff
    Thanks man. Wow really? Sweet thanks! That's what I was going for Yeah I see what you mean, wil take it into further consideration

I'm still thinking about where the story is going to go from here guys so bare with me.

Originally Posted by CapedCrusader1495
    Thanks man. Wow really? Sweet thanks! That's what I was going for Yeah I see what you mean, wil take it into further consideration

I'm still thinking about where the story is going to go from here guys so bare with me.
    Yeah I just started reading it and I could sort of hear how Kevin Conroy would say it as I read it if thats makes any sense. It has the same kind of tone as the dialogue in AA, I thought anyway. And I think thats a pretty neat achievement. Also i think its pretty aparent that you've written a few things before, most people tend to fall into very stale setups like:

Stop. Said Batman
    No.Said the bad guy, he ran away, blah blah boring stuff happens

But you do a good job of keeping things more interesting, which is the key to good story telling in my opinion. Also I like Oracle, shes a very good character, especially for her unique interactions with Batman. I think you'd do well to draw from that character. If I could make a suggestion, its been a long night thus far yet we havent really seen or heard much from her apart from in her position advising Batman. If your not too sure on how to advance the plot perhaps take some time to focus on her a bit more, how she feels about whats been happening. Her dad getting kidnapped and all. Might be interesting to see her take on things. Take a little break from all the intensity and then build from there. Like I say. just a suggestion. Looking forward to whatever does happen next

Originally Posted by stubs182
    Yeah I just started reading it and I could sort of hear how Kevin Conroy would say it as I read it if thats makes any sense. It has the same kind of tone as the dialogue in AA, I thought anyway. And I think thats a pretty neat achievement. Also i think its pretty aparent that you've written a few things before, most people tend to fall into very stale setups like:

Stop. Said Batman
    No.Said the bad guy, he ran away, blah blah boring stuff happens

But you do a good job of keeping things more interesting, which is the key to good story telling in my opinion. Also I like Oracle, shes a very good character, especially for her unique interactions with Batman. I think you'd do well to draw from that character. If I could make a suggestion, its been a long night thus far yet we havent really seen or heard much from her apart from in her position advising Batman. If your not too sure on how to advance the plot perhaps take some time to focus on her a bit more, how she feels about whats been happening. Her dad getting kidnapped and all. Might be interesting to see her take on things. Take a little break from all the intensity and then build from there. Like I say. just a suggestion. Looking forward to whatever does happen next

Thanks man, I'm glad you got that out of the story

You know what, just when you were talking about focusing on Oracle, an idea popped in my head! A chapter focused on how Oracle feels that night!

Ok guys, just finished writing up Chapter 3. Oracle fans will enjoy this

Chapter 3: Oracle

This ride will be a long one, the Iceberg lounge, the nightclub owned my one of my enemies, The Penguin. I haven’t heard or seen much of The Penguin as of late, it will be like a reunion of sorts. Seeing as it will be a long ride, I have somebody to thank.

“Oracle? Are you there?”

“Loud and clear, what’s up?”

“Listen, I never got to thank you for all the help you’ve given me tonight, without you I may have not
    made it. Thank you”.

“It’s not a problem, after all you’ve done for me as well tonight, I figured I owed you”.

“How is your Dad by the way?”

“He’s alright, still a bit shaken up, although I don’t think he’ll be the same anymore after tonight...I don’t think anyone will be the same tonight”.

“How are you Barbara?”.

“I...I’m alright...if you hadn’t saved Dad...I just don’t know what I’d do without him, thanks again Bruce”.

Barbara...she hasn’t had an easy life. It was her decision to be my partner in crime, Batgirl. I’ve never always agreed to have a partner...the risks I would put them in. It seems Barbara paid the ultimate price when The Joker showed up at her door and shot her through the spine, paralysing her...right in front of her father. Neither her or Jim have been the same since then...but she didn’t give up, she didn’t want to feel useless, she still wanted to fight crime with me...well as best as she could. So she decided to take up a new mantle, Oracle, my eye in the sky in a way, my guardian. I am proud of her for what she has done, she’s a fighter.

“Got a little update on the situation at the Iceberg lounge, it sounds like The Penguin hasn’t reported what happened to the police which is strange. It’s almost as if he is waiting for you”.

Waiting for me?

“Why would he be waiting for me?”

“I don’t know, it’s odd, he just set off the alarm. No police have showed up. I’ll get back to you soon”.

Why tonight. Why is everything happening tonight? There is a much bigger picture, I can tell.

“Okay got something for you, it appears The Penguin DID ring the police, he said it was a...false alarm...it’s almost like he set it off just so you could notice it”.

“Oracle, there is a much bigger picture to this. I’m just a round the corner from the Iceberg lounge. I’ll get back to you afterwards”.

“Got it, get back to me as soon as possible”.

The city seems quiet.... All I can hear is the sound of the wind blowing through the air. Barely any traffic or people...it’s like everyone is afraid to come out of their homes. I guess they should...considering the events of tonight, who knows what else is going to happen.

Good job, bro. I enjoyed the Oracle sequence.

Good job, bro. I enjoyed the Oracle sequence.
    Thanks man. I think she deserved to have her own little special moment

Thanks man. I think she deserved to have her own little special moment
    Yeah for sure....

Working on Chapter 4 now guys. Some of your favourite villians may be showing up

Working on Chapter 4 now guys. Some of your favourite villians may be showing up
    Cool dude, does this mean.... uh... one of our favourite villains?!

Cool dude, does this mean.... uh... one of our favourite villains?!
    I don't know, who do you like?

I don't know, who do you like?
    Hehe, lets just wait, I like the more.... unusual and under-used villains, as you could tell earlier? Can't wait for the next chapter.

Chapter 4 guys! It's a long one!

Chapter 4: Birds and Cats

I’m just outside the entrance to the Iceberg lounge. Usually the club has tight security, but there is not a single security guard in sight...it has to be a trap. I decide though that I will enter, despite not knowing what dangers lay beyond the door...but too my surprise, the club is still...active. There are people filling up the place. This isn’t what I expected. The place is still as posh and trendy as ever. Vibrant whites and blues fill up the club. The iceberg themed club is a little overdramatic in my opinion. I haven’t been here for at least a month and a half ago, as a routine undercover drop-in under an alias of mine, Matches Malone. Nothing wrong was going on, it is as if The Penguin has gone legit and just wants to run his club, but after this alert, I’m not so sure. Everybody stops and stares at me as the music blares loudly. I look up to where The Penguin is usually situated up in his private office. I walk up the stairs as the security guards stand by and let me in...they’re expecting me. The door opens and I see all sorts of items put up on the walls. Birds, animals and of course...umbrellas, but I notice one thing...a smashed glass case. I spot The Penguin, sitting in his chair just looking up as I arrived. His nose is as hooked as ever, monocle and all.

“Batman...please sit down”.

He directs me to a chair...how nice of him...too nice.

“No thanks”, I reply.

“Suit yourself”.

He is dressed in a white suit, black overshirt and red tie, just his style.

“I’m sure you caught the alarm?”

I knew he did it to catch my attention.

“Of course”, I replied once again.

“Of course you did, you’re the World’s Greatest Detective, but I didn’t set that alarm to see if you could pick up the easiest of alarm signals...I have a more important matter”.

Hmm, maybe it might not be a trap. That’s a first.

“Tonight, my office was broken into by someone. Now I don’t know who or why they did it. I just want what they took back!”.

He can’t be serious...he’s asking me for his help.

“You’re asking me for your help? Why don’t you just get the police?”

“Because they can’t be trusted! They can never be trusted! Those pigs are just as trustworthy as the next snitch!”

“What did this person take?”

“He took one of my most prized possessions! My...umbrella!”

What? He wants me to get...an umbrella? He has to be joking.

“What is so important about this...umbrella?”.

“Oh it’s very important...it was the same Umbrella I used when I first met you”.

Of course, something to signify the past...a moment he hasn’t forgot.

“How am I meant to find your umbrella when I don’t know who took it?”

“You’re the detective! You figure it out!”

“I never said I’d help you”.

“What can I do for you then?”

“What do you know about Harvey Dent’s condition as of late?”

“Two Face? Well nothing as of late...he’s been quiet, not doing anything, heck I’m willing to say he’s not insane anymore!”

“That’s what I thought till my run in with him tonight”.

“Oh yeah! I heard about that! Guess I must be wrong about him then. Still, the last time I saw him he wasn’t talking much. He was just flipping his coin, sitting in the corner. When he spoke, he said he just wanted to give it all up. Stop doing all these bad things. Personally, I think he did. Maybe he had a relapse or something?”

Harvey, what’s happened to you?

“Anyway, I’m afraid I can’t help you any further. So can you get my umbrella or wh-

Ow! What was that? Glass falling from above his office, a whip slashing me on the face.

“What took you so long?”, I hear a voice say from above me. I look up, a woman in black leather stands above me, red goggles over her eyes. I know only one woman who dresses like this...Selina.

“Come on, lets have some fun!”, she says to me.

I notice something, the umbrella. I can hear The Penguin yelling.

“YOU! YOU STOLE IT! GIVE ME IT BACK!”

I can see him shaking his fist and yelling. He drops down behind his desk and pulls out a machine gun.
    This isn’t good. I pull out a Batarang and throw it at his hand, quickly grappling up to the roof to avoid the security.

“I was wondering how long it would take you. Catch me if you can!”

Two games of Cat and Mouse in a row in the one night. A pattern is forming.

“What’s wrong with you Catwoman?”, I yell at Selina as I chase after, rooftop after rooftop.

“Nothing’s wrong with me! And please, if we’re going to be so chatty, we may as well talk to each other by our real names”.

I made a decision years ago to commit to a relationship between me and Selina. I even went as far as to tell her who I really was. It was working, but I ultimately knew that it couldn’t work. Since then I have wondered if she can be trusted with my real identity...she can. She hasn’t done anything that a criminal would do or what she would do for years. She has even gone as far as to help me occasionally, but tonight, she isn’t at all like herself.

“Selina please, what has happened to you?”

I nearly tripped on that last jump, too close.

“Nothing! I’ve just decided to live a little!”

She turns around in mid-air, attempting to whip me, but I quickly jerk my body out of the way. She rolls and lands on the next rooftop while I almost crash from dodging the whip. Too close again. Down below I can see a family of 3, including a child watching me chase her. The child is excited, while his parents try to calm him down and move on. It reminds me of when I was watching Zorro with my parents, I couldn’t stay still in my seat, I wanted to be like him.

“Losing your touch there!”, I hear Selina say as she turns her head around in mid-air.

Oh no, she’s heading straight for a water tower. I whip out my grappling hook and yank her towards me, she is surprised and confused as I hold her in my arms. We crash down on the roof, narrowly missing the water tower. I notice something blinking on her neck, something small, skin coloured. Its a microchip, only one person creates and uses them.

“Ugh...where am I?”

“Selina, it’s me, Bruce. You’re in Gotham.”

“What? Bruce? What did I do?”

“Nothing, that was under your control, don’t worry, just go home and rest, let me take this first”.

I grab the umbrella, all this trouble just for an umbrella. Selina gets up and runs away, telling me she is sorry and that she didn’t mean to hurt me. I tell her it’s okay. I head back to the Iceberg lounge and leave the Umbrella in The Penguin’s office.

“Bruce? Are you there?”

“Oracle, I’m here. Had a little run in with Catwoman”

“Catwoman? What was she doing there?”

“She stole from The Penguin, but she couldn’t control herself, she had a microchip planted on her neck”

“A microchip? Wait...”

“Yes, only one person does this. Jervis Tetch, The Mad Hatter”

“Wait, but isn’t Tetch missing? He hasn’t been seen in months? Hell, even the police database lists him as ‘missing, presumed dead’”

“I know, that’s where I am stuck. I’m heading back to the cave, see what I can find out”

“Got it, get back to you later”

I get on the bike, ready to head off and putting the chip in my belt, but a gun shot comes out of nowhere. Damn it, it’s blown out the front tire of the bike, just great. It came from the direction to my left. I look up, a figure is planted, sitting on a billboard. The figure has a sniper rifle in his gloved hands, he is dressed in red with a brown coat on, his head bandaged with a single red monocle on his right eye...Deadshot.

Dont give up your day job. Good but not mind blowing.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last