Thread: Can your PC handle Batman?

Can your PC handle Batman?

Originally Posted by trek554
    you dont *** GET IT. the cpu limitation will be different in every game but once you hit that is it and no more gpu power whether in the form of faster speeds OR more cores will change that. PERIOD
    that is how it used to work before calculations were made on extra shader cores.

This is probably the first game that uses physx to this extent. you've tested it yourself, your 8600 isn't powerful enough to be used as a physx accelerator and that's just the demo where there aren't many calculations being made, the recommended physx card is a 9800gtx+. ask yourself, what part of the card is it that physx is calculated on? its the shader cores, so it only stands to reason that in order to run physics on high, what are you going to need? yes more shader cores!
    Don't get me wrong, at no point have I disagreed that in most cases a slow CPU will be a bottleneck to games, but it's not the only thing that can be a bottleneck, and if you run physx on High, it won't be the first bottleneck. And because they are being calculated on the shader cores, this takes the CPU out of the equation, so parts of this game that use this many calculations that are made on the shader cores will benefit most from.... one more time everybody, you should know it by now

and you've not answered my previous questions, choosing to avoid them and saying we are done?

Will this setup play the game well?

I'm ordering a computer with this setup. Will this run the game well?

Intel Core i7-920 processor (8MB L3 Cache 2.66GHz)
    8GB DDR3 SDRAM at 1066MHz
    Dell 21.5 inch S2209W Full HD Widescreen Monitor
    Nvidia GeForce GTX 260
    750GB Serial ATA 2 Hard Drive 7200 RPM
    Microsoft Windows Vista SP1 Home Premium 64-Bit

Originally Posted by bakerman23
    I'm ordering a computer with this setup. Will this run the game well?

Intel Core i7-920 processor (8MB L3 Cache 2.66GHz)
    8GB DDR3 SDRAM at 1066MHz
    Dell 21.5 inch S2209W Full HD Widescreen Monitor
    Nvidia GeForce GTX 260
    750GB Serial ATA 2 Hard Drive 7200 RPM
    Microsoft Windows Vista SP1 Home Premium 64-Bit
    that setup will run nearly every game well, although you may want a better graphics card if you want to run the in game physx on high. I'd recommend losing 2gb of ram so it will run in triple channel (3x2GB) making the memory faster (you won't miss the 2gb as 6gb is more than enough, i've never needed more than 4) and spending what you save on upgrading the gtx260 to at least a gtx280 or even a gtx285 if you can. even if you've already ordered it you may be able to ask them to change a few components around.

Originally Posted by deders
    that setup will run nearly every game well, although you may want a better graphics card if you want to run the in game physx on high. I'd recommend losing 2gb of ram so it will run in triple channel (3x2GB) making the memory faster (you won't miss the 2gb as 6gb is more than enough, i've never needed more than 4) and spending what you save on upgrading the gtx260 to at least a gtx280 or even a gtx285 if you can. even if you've already ordered it you may be able to ask them to change a few components around.
    I only got the 8 GB because that was the lowest configuration for the sale on the pc. I can't lower the amount of ram without physically taking it out of the machine. I'm no tech whiz so I'm not sure how less ram equals more speed. Its a Dell XPS 9000.

The 260 was the best card they offered. BTW dell lists it as having 1792 MB, but I also see it listed as 896 MB.

I only got the 8 GB because that was the lowest configuration for the sale on the pc. I can't lower the amount of ram without physically taking it out of the machine. I'm no tech whiz so I'm not sure how less ram equals more speed. Its a Dell XPS 9000.
    is it fourth one along on this page?

http://www.dell.com/us/en/home/deskt...00&s=dhs&cs=19

If so then it uses 8gb in dual channel instead of 6 in triple, the 6 will be faster, i'd say it's worth contacting them if they've not already shipped it and asking them for the same computer but with 6gb in triple chanel instead of 8, and a 1024MB (1GB) GTX280. like i said you won't notice the missing ram. whatever you do don't get the gtx240 that they've advertised with it, would be a huge bottleneck.

The 260 was the best card they offered. BTW dell lists it as having 1792 MB, but I also see it listed as 896 MB.
    Tbh, I don't think the 260 will be any better off with 1792mb than with 896

The ram is ddr3 not ddr2. Does that mean it's triple channel?
    ddr3 means it the next generation up from ddr2, ddr3 can be configured in either dual or triple channel, (triple being faster) depending on the motherboard. all motherboards that support that processor are capable of tri-channel memory.

Basically dell is using extra large numbers to impress when in this case less is more.

Dell wont let me change it since ive already placed the order

ddr3 means it the next generation up from ddr2, ddr3 can be configured in either dual or triple channel, (triple being faster) depending on the motherboard. all motherboards that support that processor are capable of tri-channel memory.

Basically dell is using extra large numbers to impress when in this case less is more.
    Does that mean i can get my 8GB to run in triple channel?

Does that mean i can get my 8GB to run in triple channel?
    if you take out one of the chips and make it 6gb, but you'll have to consult the motherboard manual as to which slot to remove it from. also it will probably void your warranty if you do it yourself, which is a shame because it should be an easy operation.

Dell wont let me change it since ive already placed the order
    have you asked them?

I guess it's not a huge deal if I can't play this game on high physx. I have it for my PS3.

have you asked them?
    They say on their website that once an order is placed that it cannot be changed

I guess it's not a huge deal if I can't play this game on high physx. I have it for my PS3.
    It's not a major thing that affects gameplay, just extra eyecandy. will still look slightly better than the PS3 version. also dual vs triple memory isn't the end of the world either, it's still very fast. you should get years of enjoyment out of it.

still might be worth trying it on high, i've just been having a debate on here as to whether a 280 would be neccesary to do this. I think it is but I'm open to proof otherwise. try it on high and see what it's like when you get to the scarecrow sections of the game, if it's slow then turn physx down to normal and let me know what happened.

Hi,

my specs are:

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 955 @ 3.2 GHz
    MEM: 4 GIG of RAM DDR2 Dual Channel
    GPU: 2 9800GTX+ (SLI Enabled)

My settings is all on high including my PhysX on High and 8xAA and my FPS is between 30 and 60. Only bummer is that the game crashes at sertain moment in the game

grtzz

Originally Posted by Ultimatum
    Hi,

my specs are:

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 955 @ 3.2 GHz
    MEM: 4 GIG of RAM DDR2 Dual Channel
    GPU: 2 9800GTX+ (SLI Enabled)

My settings is all on high including my PhysX on High and 8xAA and my FPS is between 30 and 60. Only bummer is that the game crashes at sertain moment in the game

grtzz
    When does it crash?

if you take out one of the chips and make it 6gb, but you'll have to consult the motherboard manual as to which slot to remove it from. also it will probably void your warranty if you do it yourself, which is a shame because it should be an easy operation.
    Lol. Do you mean that if I take out a RAM module that it will void my warranty? That's dumb. I don't think that they ship the motherboard manual with the pc.

Lol. Do you mean that if I take out a RAM module that it will void my warranty? That's dumb. I don't think that they ship the motherboard manual with the pc.
    yeah, usually if you do as much as open your pc's case then that will void the warranty. they are just protecting themselves from inexperienced 'techicians' who could unwittingly damage chips by the static from not grounding/discharging themselves (that's not as rude as it sounds) before venturing within. but it does mean you can't upgrade without sending the machine back. It's one of the reasons I don't go with large computer companies like Dell. Nothing against them, they do provide a good service for those who don't know much about computers and would rather have a warranty to fall back on.

if you can find out the model of your motherboard you should be able to find the manual online. it may even be on one of the cd's they supply with it.

When does it crash?
    well the wierd thing is that i do not have the problem. I thought that i had enabled SLI but it didn't seem to be. So i enable SLI go through that certain point and the game doesn't crash so i realy whant to know what it could be

Originally Posted by Ultimatum
    well the wierd thing is that i do not have the problem. I thought that i had enabled SLI but it didn't seem to be. So i enable SLI go through that certain point and the game doesn't crash so i realy whant to know what it could be
    it seems that some of the piracy prevention tactics employed in this game have affected legitimate users, one of which could be random crashes, on the other hand it may be a bug. sometimes mine crashes during transition screens between exiting the game to the menu and to the desktop, other times just before the dying screen when the enemy comes to gloat. Sometimes i can play through for ages without crashes. if it does crash (and this may be superstition but it has worked every time so far) I go into a profile I have completed the game in and have access to the armoured batsuit, then switch to whichever suit i'm not using at the time, then go back to the profile i was playing in. I noticed that for the entire time I played the first time through, I had no crash issues, it was only after I completed the game and unlocked the armoured suit that the crashes started.

Hello there,
    I am going to buy AA tomorrow. So I thought I would clarify whether my laptop could run it. The SR test is unreliable. When I tested for FIFA 10, it said it wouldn't run on my laptop. But it did work.

I don't have a powerful laptop, so I could settle with low settings

Intel Dual Core Processor rated at 3 Ghz
    2 GB RAM
    Intel Express series 4 chipset 797 MB (it doesnt use system RAM)
    Win Vista

Originally Posted by sridhartheking
    Hello there,
    I am going to buy AA tomorrow. So I thought I would clarify whether my laptop could run it. The SR test is unreliable. When I tested for FIFA 10, it said it wouldn't run on my laptop. But it did work.

I don't have a powerful laptop, so I could settle with low settings

Intel Dual Core Processor rated at 3 Ghz
    2 GB RAM
    Intel Express series 4 chipset 797 MB (it doesnt use system RAM)
    Win Vista
    Your processor is fine, ram may be a little low with vista, but this may not be a problem as you will have to play with low settings because of the graphics chip. Intel graphics chips are never great. here's what I found on the intel website.
    http://www.intel.com/support/graphics/sb/CS-030556.htm
    Arkham Asylum runs on the Unreal 3 engine so perfomance can be expected to be similar. The settings Intel recommend here are very similar to the settings I had to play Unreal 3 at initialy with my 6600gt, which just so happens to be the minimum recommended graphics card for Arkham Asylum so it's quite possible it will run, just not very well. It may be worth waiting to see if anybody else has had experience with playing the game with your particular chipset. It may be worth checking the SR test anyway in case it does say it is compatible, in which case go ahead. sorry I can't help you any more than this.

(ps. I wouldn't be at all suprised if it did use system memory. 797 is an odd number for graphics memory. have a look here:
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=347484)

Your processor is fine, ram may be a little low with vista, but this may not be a problem as you will have to play with low settings because of the graphics chip. Intel graphics chips are never great. here's what I found on the intel website.
    http://www.intel.com/support/graphics/sb/CS-030556.htm
    Arkham Asylum runs on the Unreal 3 engine so perfomance can be expected to be similar. The settings Intel recommend here are very similar to the settings I had to play Unreal 3 at initialy with my 6600gt, which just so happens to be the minimum recommended graphics card for Arkham Asylum so it's quite possible it will run, just not very well. It may be worth waiting to see if anybody else has had experience with playing the game with your particular chipset. It may be worth checking the SR test anyway in case it does say it is compatible, in which case go ahead. sorry I can't help you any more than this.

(ps. I wouldn't be at all suprised if it did use system memory. 797 is an odd number for graphics memory. have a look here:
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=347484)
    thanks for the help. I will buy it anyway. If it doesn't work, I will buy a graphic card.

Page 6 of 10 First First ... 2345678910 Last