Thread: will not uninstall/install

will not uninstall/install

will not uninstall/install

After installing the game it would crash as soon as you hit "play" on the start up window. So i tried uninstalling it and had errors of missing files and it wouldnt let me uninstall. So i decided to go ahead and delete everything related to Batman: Arkahm Asylum... EIDOS folders and everything in the registry. Tried to reinstall the game and after the installer is done unpacking everything into my temp folder the launcher opens and the option to install is not selectable. I can only press "Play", "install DirectX", "Settings" and "Exit". I hit Play and it tells me about missing files. Which makes sense cause i never installed the game! I cant even try to uninstall it because... well, i never installed it! So i went back and forth deleting registry items and trying to install and it still thinks the game is installed somewhere...

How do i make this game think it was never installed?

This is the 2nd time i've had this problem with Eidos. The first time was with "Deus Ex: invisible war"... only at least i got to play that game! I had played through, uninstalled, tried to install a year later but it thought it was still on my computer when it wasnt... Leaving me stuck with no options. Cant uninstall cause its not installed! I had to reinstall Windows to circumvent that one...

*i recently deleted the end cause i wrote it out of frustration and i actually like EIDOS games...

Theres been many 10's of thousands play and install and uninstall the demo without any issue so can only think that somethings happened on your machine during installation thats causing the issue. Its not due the installer being broken etc (if u see what i mean)

PCs are truly a right pain in the neck when it comes to install/uninstall as there is so many areas for fail. Registry entries looking for files on a temp folder etc etc blah blah blah.

Fact you've gone and removed the files manually wont have helped as of course the installer would be looking for those to uninstall. There are many reg cleaner and installshield cleaning tools freely available on the net, which will show you registry entries for things which you can remove and it will treat your machine as if its never been installed etc..
    www.imdb.me/jasonwalker <-thas me hehe
    Twitter: @jaywalker2309
    - My opinion is my own and not that of the company.

thank you for telling me what i already know.

sorry about the crassness... this is just frustrating...ugh... i'll figure it out.

Originally Posted by Rusty_Trojan
    thank you for telling me what i already know.

sorry about the crassness... this is just frustrating...ugh... i'll figure it out.
    if u used to using registry do a search for `asylum demo` within it. Should find the installshield reference section so u can make it think its not installed.
    www.imdb.me/jasonwalker <-thas me hehe
    Twitter: @jaywalker2309
    - My opinion is my own and not that of the company.

Originally Posted by jaycw2309
    if u used to using registry do a search for `asylum demo` within it. Should find the installshield reference section so u can make it think its not installed.
    Yeah i went through and got rid of everything i could find related... Searched "Batman", "Arkham", "Asylum", even found some files searching for "BM", everything i could think of... If i left any possibles please feel free to let me know!

After deleting as much of what i can find through regedit i start the installer and the "Install" tab is highlighted. I click it, but instead of installing, it always wants to DELETE batman. So i hit ok (dont have a choice). And then when i go through it again, "install" is no longer highlighted. "PLAY" is now highlighted. Click that and "file not found". Then i go through the whole process again and... i give up.

I think i'll just wait for it to come out for the PC and buy it... hopefully ill have better luck!

Thanks anyways... appreciate the help.

how did you get the game on pc already? is it the demo?

Im having this exact same problem, im going nuts.. I uninstalled a version i had to install a new one i just bought with the unhighlighted install button... Please help

thanx

Same problem here but for the full game on pc. If you manually uninstall the game, even if you clean registries and remove it from the Vista Programs and Features list with a 3rd party program and delete what appears to be all traces of it from your computer the INSTALL button on the splash screen does not highlight. Ridiculous really

Heres the solution from somewhere else on the eidos forum (it works):

To manually remove Batman with the Registry Editor follow the steps listed below.

Please be aware if the Registry Editor is used incorrectly, you may cause serious problems that may require you to reinstall your operating system.
    - Select the “Start” menu and go to the run menu text field (start search)
    - Type “regedit” to open the registry editor.
    - Delete the following 3 folders only.
    -
    Batman: Arkham Asylum that can be found in the file structure:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE / SOFTWARE / Eidos Interactive Limited / Batman: Arkham Asylum

Batman Arkham Asylum that can be found in the file structure:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE / SOFTWARE / RocksteadyLtd / Batman Arkham Asylum
    {4E79A60F-15D2-4BEC-91AD-E41EC42E61B0} that can be found in the file structure:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\{4E79A60F-15D2-4BEC-91AD-E41EC42E61B0}

- Exit the Regedit program and reboot your machine.
    - Insert the Batman: Arkham Asylum DVD-ROM if autorun is not enabled select “autorun.exe” on the disc directory.
    - Press “Install game” (This will then take you through the uninstall game process).
    - Press “Install game” again to reinstall the game.

I just deleted the whole of the eidos and Rocksteady folders using the registry editor then the last file didnt show up at all. After that (with no need to restart computer) the install option will highlight again and you can install the game

I used Revo uninstaller to find those files, it found 2 of 3, so I assume I deleted the other somehow (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE / SOFTWARE / RocksteadyLtd / Batman Arkham Asylum)...

The Windows add/remove program no longer shows Batman on it so that is good I think, BUT when I go to reinstall, the install button is STILL unclickable! WTF..

I am getting so pissed at this. Any help at all?!?

Having the same problem. Game doesn't show up in Windows install/remove anymore. The three registry files that Eidos have said should be deleted are not there. Revo, CC Cleaner and Uninstall 5 can't find anything. No folders relating to Batman, Eidos, or Rocksteady are present anywhere on my system.

And yet I cannot reinstall the game. "Install" is still grayed out. Honestly I'm sick of this.

yeah whats going on

I had the same exact problem. I went through and deleted the registry entries like that forum said to do and still no change. I tried to e-mail Eidos tech support in the US and UK but got no response.

Eventually I fixed the problem by doing a clean install of Windows 7. But now, Games for Windows Live won't accept my product key. It looks like if I want to play this game at all I'm going to have to buy another copy and that's not going to happen.

i'm having the same problem ...can't find a solution whatsoever ...registry is clean ,install/uninstall or revouninstaller won't show the game as installed ...it is simply gone from the system ,yet install button keeps unclickable

Exclamation I was able to fix this problem

I was eventually able to solve this and install the game by calling the Games for Windows Live support line and talking with a guy for about an hour. In exchange for a ton of personal information that has no bearing on the problem, he led me through the process to get GfWL to see my key as valid and let me install the game.

its not about key ,but about the installer seeing the game as installed when it's not

i had the same problem a while back

i did a restore point

took care of the problem

i did a restore to a point right before i installed batman

if u can install delete this things... But Winows 7 and xp have different location

Windows xp location:
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Eidos Interactive Limited]
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Eidos Interactive Limited\Batman: Arkham Asylum]
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Eidos Interactive Limited\Batman: Arkham Asylum\1.0.0.0]
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\RocksteadyLtd\Batman Arkham Asylum]

Windows 7 location for me:
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\RocksteadyLtd\Batman Arkham Asylum]

.......................................................................................
    Use regedit for to find other games and u should find
    RocksteadyLtd\Batman Arkham Asylum
    its install path and if its deleted u can install game...

Originally Posted by luxeon
    if u can install delete this things... But Winows 7 and xp have different location

Windows xp location:
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Eidos Interactive Limited]
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Eidos Interactive Limited\Batman: Arkham Asylum]
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Eidos Interactive Limited\Batman: Arkham Asylum\1.0.0.0]
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\RocksteadyLtd\Batman Arkham Asylum]

.......................................................................................
    I made this account just to thank you.

I've tried everything posted in here, only thing that worked for me was the system restoration., i was lucky my system did an automatic backup only a few hours before the problem occured :-)

Thumbs Up

Originally Posted by luxeon

Thank you!
    I ran Windows 7 and needed that specific location!

Smile This WORKS!!

Originally Posted by Musesoperman
    Heres the solution from somewhere else on the eidos forum (it works):

To manually remove Batman with the Registry Editor follow the steps listed below.

Please be aware if the Registry Editor is used incorrectly, you may cause serious problems that may require you to reinstall your operating system.
    - Select the “Start” menu and go to the run menu text field (start search)
    - Type “regedit” to open the registry editor.
    - Delete the following 3 folders only.
    -
    Batman: Arkham Asylum that can be found in the file structure:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE / SOFTWARE / Eidos Interactive Limited / Batman: Arkham Asylum

Batman Arkham Asylum that can be found in the file structure:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE / SOFTWARE / RocksteadyLtd / Batman Arkham Asylum
    {4E79A60F-15D2-4BEC-91AD-E41EC42E61B0} that can be found in the file structure:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\{4E79A60F-15D2-4BEC-91AD-E41EC42E61B0}

- Exit the Regedit program and reboot your machine.
    - Insert the Batman: Arkham Asylum DVD-ROM if autorun is not enabled select “autorun.exe” on the disc directory.
    - Press “Install game” (This will then take you through the uninstall game process).
    - Press “Install game” again to reinstall the game.

I just deleted the whole of the eidos and Rocksteady folders using the registry editor then the last file didnt show up at all. After that (with no need to restart computer) the install option will highlight again and you can install the game
    ^^This is the way to go, almost...
    I'm on Windows 7 and I'm guessing those locations are for XP or something. But what you do is:
    - open regedit.exe
    - make sure that you are at the top most level in regedit, that is "Computer" is marked.
    - hit Ctrl+F to search
    - search for "Eidos" and delete what you find, repeat until you don't find anything.
    - search for "Rocksteady" and delete what you find, repeat until you don't find anything.
    - search for "{4E79" or someother version of {4E79A60F-15D2-4BEC-91AD-E41EC42E61B0} and delete all you find, repeat until you don't find anything.

This work for me on Windows 7 64-bit and frankly since we are searching should work on any windows.
    After this, run autorun.exe and the install button shouldn't be greyed out and it shouldn't give you uninstall, at least for me I got to install directly. Make sure you don't miss anything, I went over regedit several times until I got them all!!

Cheers!!

Smile @luxeon

also made this to thank u maaan again thank u LUXEON ! <3