Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread: Final Fantasy VII DRM?

Final Fantasy VII DRM?

Was just wondering what kind of DRM this has. Does it require you to be connected to the internet to launch it? Can you install it on unlimited computers like Steam games?

From what ive read around the net (GoG) it features Securom, complete with activation limits and number of times you allowed to download limits. Also no revoke tool. So yeah. Im not supporting this nonsense. DRM on a game thats been out since 1996? Please.

Thanks! That's all I needed to know. No sale from me.

Originally Posted by imported_Brandon

Same here. I was seriously considering buying this game and was already on the store page ready to do so, but not until I got more information on the DRM. Securom is ok with me as long as it has the revocation tool. Since this game does not, I will not ever buy it. Watch as horrid DRM makes the company lose money.

Originally Posted by Rylee

Same here. I was seriously considering buying this game and was already on the store page ready to do so, but not until I got more information on the DRM. Securom is ok with me as long as it has the revocation tool. Since this game does not, I will not ever buy it. Watch as horrid DRM makes the company lose money.

I don't think the company will lose money as a result of adding DRM, but it definitely made the decision for me as I was already inputting my CC information, and stopped to check.

I can't speak for the company, but I'm assuming it didn't cost them much to do a re-release of this game, so they'll definitely make money. I'm not really here to rant, just wanted to know, as I was on the fence.

This game requires you have to a constant internet connection to play.

Originally Posted by qitupx

Please tell me this is a joke. If not...wow.

Yeah... I'm glad they refunded me so I didn't have to pay for this mess.

This is just silly.

So, DRM on a game that's 16 years old. I was going to buy it, but this is just a re-relase of the old PC port. Sorry, but I may as well stick to the PSOne version.

Originally Posted by Corey

This is just silly.

How did you get the refund for this garbage?

Not true. You only need to be online the first time you start it.

Originally Posted by Crono1973

You have to be online to log into the launcher to launch the game. You cannot bypass the launcher to my knowledge.

You cannot save the game unless an established connection is made with the cloud and your files are synced. If they is no connection, or if the game cannot sync, then you cannot save the game.

Damn wish I had taken my time to read about the DRM associated with this game. I was like "wee FF7" -- little did I know about the ridiculous DRM surrounding this game.

They really need to get rid of it. move SE, move.

Originally Posted by Chidodood
    Originally Posted by Corey

This is just silly.

How did you get the refund for this garbage?

Uh...by contacting customer support...?

Originally Posted by gthreeno

Originally Posted by Crono1973

You have to be online to log into the launcher to launch the game. You cannot bypass the launcher to my knowledge.

You cannot save the game unless an established connection is made with the cloud and your files are synced. If they is no connection, or if the game cannot sync, then you cannot save the game.

I thought you couldn't save offline as well because my girlfriend's internet went down while she was playing and she was unable to save at first.. But eventually she was able to save by attempting to enter the save menu over and over. Eventually it will pop up a message in the top left corner of the screen that says something like "Unable to sync saves with cloud. Your saves will be stored locally." Then and only then will it free up a save slot to be put on your hard drive. I am not sure if this is a bug or a technical issue with the game having to detect you don't have internet. I'm just saying you can save while offline. It's just "buggy"

Originally Posted by imported_Mite

I thought you couldn't save offline as well because my girlfriend's internet went down while she was playing and she was unable to save at first.. But eventually she was able to save by attempting to enter the save menu over and over. Eventually it will pop up a message in the top left corner of the screen that says something like "Unable to sync saves with cloud. Your saves will be stored locally." Then and only then will it free up a save slot to be put on your hard drive. I am not sure if this is a bug or a technical issue with the game having to detect you don't have internet. I'm just saying you can save while offline. It's just "buggy"

I see. Thanks for the clarification.

Originally Posted by imported_Marcus

From what ive read around the net (GoG) it features Securom, complete with activation limits and number of times you allowed to download limits. Also no revoke tool. So yeah. Im not supporting this nonsense. DRM on a game thats been out since 1996? Please.

You can Revoke executing the launcher game with a "/revoke" like any other securom game

Exemple: "FF7_Launcher.exe /revoke"

its work with every securom game

No problem. I was pretty angry at first. Cloud saves had went from feature to the only way you could save. Thankfully someone at SE still has a soul and allowed us peons to still save to our hard drive. Still I hope to see it patched or something. It's pretty confusing at the moment.

lol Square-enix shot themselves in the foot with this one. If my computer gets hacked, I get to sue them because they installed a rootkit on my computer that allows uncompromised access to my files. SecuROM is junk. Should have took the easy route with steam.

Also the login was a bit badly implemented. Default login is for SquareEnix EU, not NA. Didn't realize so I installed with facebook login. Now I can't use Square Enix Membership as login. Oh well turned out better considering facebook's connection remains on better then Square Enix's login server.

No problem. I was pretty angry at first. Cloud saves had went from feature to the only way you could save. Thankfully someone at SE still has a soul and allowed us peons to still save to our hard drive. Still I hope to see it patched or something. It's pretty confusing at the moment.

Even when it saves to the Cloud, it automatically saves to your HDD as a redundancy. Here's the kicker, whenever you load up the game, the game syncs to the cloud and pulls whatever saves you have off of there and replaces the ones on your HDD with the ones in the cloud. Found this out and went from Cosmo Canyon back to Midgar right after the Sector 7 pillar drop...

For those who want to know, as far as Win 7/Vista go, the save files are backed up locally in C:\Users\[username]\My Documents\Square Enix\Final Fantasy VII\[user_######]

"As far as we are aware there is no 30 day limit on when you will be able to download the game. You can download the game as many times as you require, but will be limited to the amount of activation at one time, simply unistalling the game from one PC will provide a new activation. You can copy the download manager and run the download again. If you do require any further information please do not hesitate to contact us again."

Interesting, this was in reply to a list of questions I sent them though sadly didn't make a copy. Essentially I asked about how many downloads and does it need ot be within a certain timeframe etc.

Thanks! I've found that if you delete the HDD version of the file, it will re-download the cloud save and all is good!

Originally Posted by VSilverwings
    "As far as we are aware there is no 30 day limit on when you will be able to download the game. You can download the game as many times as you require, but will be limited to the amount of activation at one time, simply unistalling the game from one PC will provide a new activation. You can copy the download manager and run the download again. If you do require any further information please do not hesitate to contact us again."

Interesting, this was in reply to a list of questions I sent them though sadly didn't make a copy. Essentially I asked about how many downloads and does it need ot be within a certain timeframe etc.

Interesting. If the game is set to revoke on uninstall, that is a good thing.

Originally Posted by imported_Michael

Thanks! I've found that if you delete the HDD version of the file, it will re-download the cloud save and all is good!

It also means that any save file that is only saved locally (saved offline) will be overwritten when you go back online. It seems that cloud save isn't a feature as much as it is DRM.

Originally Posted by VSilverwings

I have two PC's one at work and home. I successfully downloaded at work today but when i came home to redownload from the Square Enix site i got a error:

"Sorry,

Too many download attempts: 8. You were allowed to download only 5 times.

If you have any questions, please contact Digital River Customer Service at CustomerServices@digitalriver.com."

which is weird because it was only my second download attempt. Guess ill have to copy the download manager from work, hopefully that will work. I guess you should keep the download manager forever because there is a limit on how many times you can download it from Square Enix.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last