Page 3 of 3 First First 123

Thread: PC Demo - Download location and instructions

PC Demo - Download location and instructions

Originally Posted by JimmyTheCannon
    In other words, they're there because they're in the full game, but they serve no purpose in the demo?

Possible, I suppose.
    I didn't play the demo but I'm fairly sure this is correct... e.g. they only serve no purpose in the demo because you can't get far enough in the demo to get the correct items to do something with those grates and walls. In the game it was quite a while before I got the proper tool to pull grates down. I'm a little over halfway through the game and I'm still going back to old areas because I'm just now getting the correct tools/items to pass through certain areas in the older levels.

I'm guessing until you have a full utility belt of 8 items you will still be prone to going back to old areas to get old riddles and access other areas. For the sake of leveling up my XP as quickly as possible I have gone back to the same areas multiple times (each time I get a new item that will let me access new areas) since some of the powerups are just way cool and I want them now!

How do I change the default install location on the demo? I have a TB hard drive, and a 100 GBs on a 250GB drive, but it's insisting on trying my C: drive, which doesn't have that much space on it.

Originally Posted by QuiGonJ
    How do I change the default install location on the demo? I have a TB hard drive, and a 100 GBs on a 250GB drive, but it's insisting on trying my C: drive, which doesn't have that much space on it.
    you should be able to select custom or advanced install and choose your own directory from there, failing that with a little registry editing you can get all your programs to install by default to the location of your choice. If you want me to tell you how then ask me and tell me your operating system.

Thanks for the reply!

I have XP Home Premium. I double click the installer, which is on G: (my 250GB HDD), and it starts tossing stuff into a temp directory on C: with no options to do anything else.

Thanks for the reply!

I have XP Home Premium. I double click the installer, which is on G: (my 250GB HDD), and it starts tossing stuff into a temp directory on C: with no options to do anything else.
    If you want to change the default install directory in XP then download a little program called TweakUI, extract it, go to where it was extracted and find TweakUI.ini, right click on this and select install. you should then have Tweak UI in your control panel. Open this and go to the my computer Tab and choose from special folders If you are going to change your default program files than it may help to change where common files is located as it is usually within Program Files.

As for clearing some space:

1: Right click on your C: drive in my computer and click properties, from there select 'disk cleanup' and tick as many boxes as possible apart from compress old files (only select this as a last resort if all else fails)

2: you have 2 temp directories that may need cleaning out, (that the disk cleanup won't clear completely)
    1 is C:\windows temp
    2 is C:\Documents and Settings\(your profile)\Local Settings\Temp
    You may need to show hidden files by opening up any folder on your hard disk, select the tools menu from the top, folder options, select the view tab and select 'show hidden files', then the local settings folder should become visible.
    if you share the computer then there will be temp files in other peoples profiles too

3: If your computer has hibernation enabled (you can tell as it will give you the option to hibernate next to shut down/restart/sleep) you can disable it in the hibernation tab of the power options which is in the screensaver tab of display options.

4: you could save some space by changing how much of your drive is used by system restore. Right click on my computer, select properties, select system restore, select your C:\ drive and click settings. you can then slide the slider up and down, depending on how much you want to let windows use for this feature. You can always bring it right down and put it back again when you are finished, if you are confident your computer is stable and you won't need to use it in the near future,

5: depending on how much memory you have you can change your page file options. right click on my computer, select properties, in the advanced tab select performance settings, again in the advanced tab, note how much total paging file size you have and click change. now, if you have more than one physical disk, (not just partitions) it may be wise to change the location of the swap file to the fastest drive. selsct the drive you want to move it to, select custom size and put the size in MB in both initial and maximum. (I never need to use more than 1024 with my current 4gb configuration, i'd say that 2048 is probably the biggest you'll need) then select set. don't forget to click on the C: drive and select no paging drive, and then press set. If you don't want to move your paging file you can just reduce the size temporarily to around 100mb, install the demo, then bring it back up to 1024 or 2048, depending on your preferances.

Hope this helps.

Nice trick on the Tweak UI, but unfortunately, it didn't change where the extractor wants to go. I know of TweakUI, but never thought of that use for it. Thanks!

As for space, C: is a 18GB partition with about 4GB left on it. Yeah, I know it's ancient (a 40GB total drive made in 2001), but it runs XP just fine even after all these years. The page file is already set for another partition. Guess I will just have to wait till I install Win7 next month and launch it from the default partition for it (the 1TB drive).

As for space, C: is a 18GB partition with about 4GB left on it. Yeah, I know it's ancient (a 40GB total drive made in 2001), but it runs XP just fine even after all these years. The page file is already set for another partition. Guess I will just have to wait till I install Win7 next month and launch it from the default partition for it (the 1TB drive).
    the demo should only use around 2gb max to install, 4gb should easily be enough.

Nice trick on the Tweak UI, but unfortunately, it didn't change where the extractor wants to go. I know of TweakUI, but never thought of that use for it. Thanks!
    no problem, unfortunately tweakUI doesn't work in Vista but you can do pretty much the same thing by copying your program files directory over to the drive you want (this is the first thing i do once windows is installed) then open regedit and search for all instances of programfilesdir and change the path to the new location. on a 64 bit system you should do this for program files and program files (x86).

Once you've searched for programfilesdir then they should both be on the same page, along with common files. Make sure you search the entire registry as there is more than one instance of each. now everything should default to your new location.

Some programmes don't use the %programfiles% default path and just presume you want it installed on C:, they are few and far between but its worth checking each time you install something just to be sure. , I think fraps is one of them. not tested it with Windows7 but it should be the same, its exactly what TweakUI does in XP just without the interface.

can also be a good idea to leave more room than you'd expect to on the Windows drive, games like Grid use certain appdata folders on C: to store files as large as 2gb and although there is a way of changing this location, it's far more complicated than anything i've ever attempted.

Good points, and I have tried to leave space for just that reason, but I can now report the demo is now no longer required. I said the heck with it and bought it anyway. The regular installer works normally, and I was able to assign my G: drive. It's installing as I type this.

But I will ask the Devs to please consider allowing the same flexibility in the demo!

Definitely a great post. Hats off to you! The information that you have provided is very helpful. agen sbobet

Page 3 of 3 First First 123