Page 7 of 32 First First ... 3456789101117 ... Last

Thread: THIEF - THE CARTOON ("Rent's Due") - Watch & Enjoy!

THIEF - THE CARTOON ("Rent's Due") - Watch & Enjoy!

Heh. Sorry, I didn't know we were supposed to point out changes. I'm just going by how the scenes play out and how they work together. I'll have to get back to you on the latest version...

yeh i just thought no1 even looked at the movie considering there were no replies.

Nice! Got my new soundcard there so it was my first time watching it with some aural pleasure added into the mix

Lovely stuff. Really like the new additional scenes. The rope arrow and lockpick scenes look particularly effective. For the scene where you show Garrett pulling on the arrow I think it would look better if the animation showed a quicker/rougher tug, with some splinters forming around the arrowhead as it's pulled back. I also still think the gem could look shinier when you're showing it off at the start, to get us salvating

Two points I do notice, now that I have sound, are that there could be some more sound effects inserted for the rooftop scene as Garrett is belting along the highway. Some breathing, footsteps, cloth brushing off each other as he moves, landings etc..

Also when he jumps down from the roof onto the barrell, a rattle would be nice. Possibly show one of the guards looking over to see what it was, from the view over Garrett's shoulder as he has his back pressed up against the wall. When the guard dismisses it and turns around, then show Garrett bolting past the street to shoot his rope arrow.

Where are you going with the next scene once Garrett slips inside?

I think it's time for the first close encounter with a bit of pickpocketing action!

Also, will Garrett have a map of the location?

Originally Posted by Albi
    yeh i just thought no1 even looked at the movie considering there were no replies.
    Again, I apologize. I'm not quite in the right frame of mind for critiquing the movie or paying attention to details in a helpful way, after a 4-day bout with insomnia and medication for it.

Herr_Garrett did say he was pleasantly surprised.

I hope you continue to work on it regardless of our lack of input. As always, good luck on your exams.

that is a great review shadowfox and no worries jtr7. what Ive found from friends, u guys and others is that it need more sound effects, slightly better animation and addition of small details such as the rope arrow tug. so this is good because now i have a clear list of things to fix to make this an awesome movie. i have a massive 50 page DT portfolio plus 2 movie trailers and posters due next Friday so i really cant do any thief for now but once Ive done this project Ive finished school basically besides the HSC in 2 months. here's a link to my 2 movie trailers lmao. http://www.youtube.com/user/usefullstuff

ill be sure to put all ur names in the credits to my movie. if there's want a specific name u want me to put in just tell me.

that is a great review shadowfox and no worries jtr7. what Ive found from friends, u guys and others is that it need more sound effects, slightly better animation and addition of small details such as the rope arrow tug. so this is good because now i have a clear list of things to fix to make this an awesome movie. i have a massive 50 page DT portfolio plus 2 movie trailers and posters due next Friday so i really cant do any thief for now but once Ive done this project Ive finished school basically besides the HSC in 2 months. here's a link to my 2 movie trailers lmao. http://www.youtube.com/user/usefullstuff

ill be sure to put all ur names in the credits to my movie. if there's want a specific name u want me to put in just tell me.

Haha, quality stuff! Really enjoyed the trailer for Machete overkill. The plane crashing is really well done and I got pumped when he gets up on bike and launches it into the crowd.

I think though that you might as well get seriously gore-y in the trailer and when he skull whacks the first poor victim that he should split him right down the middle. Likewise, the second unlucky sod that gets stabbed in the stomach should have some of his guts spilling out the back of him afterwards

Im still checking this so you know! Great progress with the comic, keep the good work up!

Originally Posted by oO_ShadowFox_Oo

I think though that you might as well get seriously gore-y
    LOL no way. this is getting marked by teachers remember, i showed it to a teacher and they said it was a bit too much lol. i would if it wasnt school work.

Okay, Albi. I watched it.

The interface works well, the moon is nice on the main menu and does not distract from Garrett. I still like the loading page and am glad you happened to choose a line for the Hammerite that Stephen Russell voiced (I didn't mention that before).

"Rent's Due" needs the apostrophe.

The new sequence with Garrett jumping down onto the barrels is the only place I have a little problem with. It's made to look like he's just around the corner and that would make quite a racket. In the game, the guards would go to alert level 2, haha. "What was that?" But nobody would know that without playing the games. If he could somehow get lower before jumping, like lower himself down carefully onto some wide steampipes, crouching, and dropping off. If I was playing that in the game, I'd moss the barrels and ground before jumping, and the barrel could scrape the wall. "Hmmm. Rats digging in the garbage again..."

The rest seemed fine to me. Since I like the music, I'm biased, but maybe it needs more of the quieter sections of the track, or silence and crickets before he jumps down onto the barrel. And sound effects, yeah, the rock he throws to get the City Watchmen to step away from the tavern door should clatter.

As always, good job!

i agree with everything u said except the bit about the barrel bit. in real life no guard is going to care that they heard a barrel fall over up the street. their guarding the gate, there only spose to stop people walking through the front door. not investigate every sound they hear. thanks for the suggestion of lowering the music, never would have thought of that.

A barrel falling over would be suspicious if a barrel falling over is preceded by feet slamming into it, and as a guard, they would have taken a moment to look around their post to take a mental snapshot of the area before taking their place, and so might the guards they relieve to ensure that they have not left their fellows a surprise (maybe a prank, heh heh, but not. A barrel sitting upright and flat on the ground won't just fall over. I'm only a janitor, but because I have to make sure my building is secure at night, any sound that is unusual stands out, way out, and if it doesn't make sense, I go to cautiously assure myself. We have people that come in to sleep on the benches and couches in the lobby, or to use the restroom, or even to check information posted by a door or on a bulletin board. We also have to be aware of animals that slip in if a door has been propped open. Some doors don't latch themselves, so we have to recheck those doors whenever we hear someone leave or enter. We have to check windows to make sure they are latched. If I hear a sound coming from down a hallway I can't see from my vantage, I will stand still, watch and listen for more. During that pause, I will think on what it was I heard. If it's mechanical, I'll note it, and stay aware of it in case I need to call maintenance. If it sounds human, and the situation is new, I will approach the area silently and try to get a look, to identify. If it's a repeated experience and I've identified the source, I might walk over with heavier brisker footsteps, and handle my keys to make a not so unnatural noise, and in some cases the intruder runs off, and I can find out how they got in, and remedy it.

The guards would likely not leave the post without conferring with one another and according to protocol, but they would note the sound, and give that area more attention in listening, periphery of vision, and turning their head. They would also watch elsewhere for the chance there are more than one whatever coming from different directions. Depending on how unusual the sound is.

If those barrels are there, discarded, for someone to pick up, could there be a door for someone to get to them, or for servants to add another barrel, so the sound of banging shifting barrels is not unusual? How about the concept of emptied barrels from the party being taken out back?

uh... ur looking into this WAY too much i think. its just gonna be the sound of a barrel dropping. its not like if u were a bouncer and u herd something fall over around the corner ur gonna go look at it. just dw bout it. its not even that importiant.

You skipped the part where a man landed on it with his feet from a height. No over-thinking here. It's not over-thinking to describe something very simple that happens so often we take it for granted. A lot of words doesn't mean over-thinking. It's very simple and you're confusing me. It's not that important, no, so why are you defending it as much as you are? A barrel doesn't just fall over without a force behind it. A man doesn't land on a barrel without a thud and a crunch, and that's before the barrel falls over. Barrels don't just fall over for no reason and that's what would get a guard's attention. How is this over-thinking?

So... You just don't want to change anything about that sequence. As far as you are concerned, you have moved on, and consider it done, or good enough. Accurate?

i realy cant do much about it, the best i can do is have a reaction shot of a guard looking over then looking bak. probs wont look too good but i can try it. when i put the sounds in, the barrel will drop softly and so will garret to show how stealthy he actually is. even when volting off a ledge he can land fairly softly. we will see wat happens but let me add sound to the movie before i put in a reaction shot.

edit:
    ive started the process of adding hands and eyes to all sticks of importance. so now garrett will have hands in majority of scenes and all guards will now have eyes. im probs not gonna make a sequel to this so i might aswell get it right and do it to the best of my ability.

I quite liked the original mr blobby hands, they gave the animation a certain style for me at least

Hey everyone, I just came back from vacation so I haven't checked up on the movie in a while, I totally LOVE the new parts that have been added to the movie. perfect pacing and smooth animation. good job Albi!
    Hello EM!
    *akward silence*

Is there a reason you can't go back and edit/insert new scenes into what you've done already?

Originally Posted by jtr7
    You skipped the part where a man landed on it with his feet from a height. No over-thinking here. It's not over-thinking to describe something very simple that happens so often we take it for granted. A lot of words doesn't mean over-thinking. It's very simple and you're confusing me. It's not that important, no, so why are you defending it as much as you are? A barrel doesn't just fall over without a force behind it. A man doesn't land on a barrel without a thud and a crunch, and that's before the barrel falls over. Barrels don't just fall over for no reason and that's what would get a guard's attention. How is this over-thinking?
    Benny wouldnt notice . . .
    I have played Thief DP, TMA and TDS, T2X, COSAS and FM's. This does not mean that I am in any better position to voice my opinion than anyone else.

Just a suggestion for the falling barrel issue:
    put some sand/salt/whatever sacks in front of the barrel, so when it falls over, the sacks will absorb the impact so the barrel doesn't make any sound.
    Hello EM!
    *akward silence*

i put a ton of sounds in and the barrel is very quiet. any softer and u wont hear it so dw bout that scene. dont get to technical because remember its just a cartoon. the hands add something the cartoon cant live without. 1 of garretts best skills is his abilty to pick pockets and pick locks which will look 1000 times better if he has hands.

1 of garretts best skills is his abilty to pick pockets and pick locks which will look 1000 times better if he has hands.
    I couldn't agree more. It also adds in some detail that many people can appreciate. It's also hard to believe Garrett can hold his lock picks with two hands that look like over sized chopsticks.

Great work so far!
    Hello EM!
    *akward silence*

Speaking of cartoons...

A rod of iron, in the flame, is transfigured and is no more.
    Thou canst never return unchanged from the forge.

lol zahr, that was highly enjoyable

Originally Posted by Davehall380
    Benny wouldnt notice . . .
    Even drunk Benny would notice, he would just laugh "Heh-heeeyyyy! Quit taffin' arou-heh-hound...!"

Since I'm getting a little better with DromEd, I built a quick 'n' rough version of the barrel scenario:
    http://www.mediafire.com/?xtgtiuznnut

I had to move the guards over 75-feet away from the corner before they stopped looking for Garrett, which meant that they still wondered if it was rats or guessed it was nothing.

Now THAT's over-thinking. But really, this was about DromEd more than anything, you just provided a ready example. The torches, by the way, are the only illumination other than the low ambient light. The light-gem was as black as it could get. Sorry there's no sound, my dang sound card doesn't have full-duplex capability so it can't play and record sound at the same time.

I redid the scenario, but made a window to watch the guards' reaction from the barrel area. I made it so the sound could only travel in the L-shape of the street, so no sound was going through the window. On every occasion, as I practiced my basic moves, one guard always played the game of walking away and then turning around and running back, searching even more than before, without me doing anything to get its attention. Note, too, that I only hit glanced off the barrel this time. I found it interesting, anyway.

http://www.mediafire.com/?ddvggkg0yma

LOL that was awsome. but still the ai in thief is always a bit retarted because 1 step on a tile and the gurads have a fit but anyways thats cool how u made it into a lvl. myb once i finish the game u can make a lvl for it lol.

edit: u didnt realy land on the barrel. u sorta slipped off. in the cartoon my guy does a role which breaks the fall.

Page 7 of 32 First First ... 3456789101117 ... Last