Thread: The thrill!

The thrill!

The thrill!

The game developers should really consider making Garrett more vulnerable in Thief 4. In the first two games Garrett was weaker then in the third one. This gives you the option to not fret so much for your life if your seen because if someone sees you you should be able to handle it. But if the odds were against you , and all you have are your sneaking skills then the game gives you much more excitement! Its like if they spot me I'm a goner! such a simple modification can bring tremendous thrills if you ask me.. The guards should be tougher and more alert. It would be such a great thing also if the guards had a slightly different set of AI's. The primary goal is to look for the intruder of course but if they could work on the character of the guards more. For example:
    the brave guard, the coward, the alert guard, the drunken guard ,the backup guard who immediately calls for his friends, the sneak guard who begins to hide if senses trouble so to ambush you! they already did this in some way but they SHOULD expand on it. It would really help in enriching the atmosphere of the game..

Very good post! And some very good suggestions

Most of us post about how we would like to keep Garret and the rest of the thief universe. We also post about how we would like to see the rope arrow and swimming come back. This is all important because we want that thief feeling in thief 4 as well.
    But what do we want to see improved from thief1&2? Or As you put it: how can we make that thrill of thieving better? This is something that is very important for me in thief4, and I made my own thread not long ago with some ideas on how we can improve upon that thrill. I really like your ideas as well; they could absolutely make the game better and more intense.

10+

In Thief 1 the healing potion only restores 4 hp (out of 10) and it takes something like 15 seconds to work. In TDS the healing potion restored 50% of total health, instantly. Carrying the max number of healing potions allowed dagger combat using this formula: "Strike, get hit, strike, heal, repeat."

Plat, add to that, in TDS, crouch in front of the guard, and about half their strikes miss.

In my opinion I would prefer something like 2-3 blows.

Basically I found myself losing most of life from jumps...

It would be nice if the AI could finally use lifts and ladders. When they can't, the player has a guaranteed escape route. A guard should be slower at climbing so that the player still has an advantage, but they should still be able to manage it.

I love the ladder and lift idea. Maybe another to consider is how Everybody could access any door except for you. The problem there was you could chase a servant to the locked door allow them to open it then walk on through. It would be nice to place restrictions on the a.i's area each a.I. can travel to.
    "This city could do with more red." "That's our lives your talking about!" "I'll probably be horrified once I'm sober."

Yes, AI should be able to use lifts and ladders, and to a limited extent, to mantle. I think it was done in Indiana Jones: The Emperor's Tomb. Yes it was. So it's not impossible, see? But Garrett should always do these quasi-athletic performances more nimbly and more swiftly; that would still grant the player some safezones, without which the game would be pretty unplayable.

Garrett was seriously overpowered through the course of the three games, he needs to be weakened a bit. And that doesn't mean stupid (however realistic) item counts, but removal of certain abilities (or granting them to AI) / gear.

You get so used to the idea that guards can't climb. After playing all versions of Thief for years, I was playing a game "Second Sight". I alerted the guards and climbed a ladder to a water tower. I went to the edge to watch and see when they dropped out of alert. I was dumbfounded when I turned and found the guards swarming up the ladder! I couldn't even react.

I guess that would argue even more for rope arrows - which I really want to see make a return. At least that way you'd have variable escape routes. And if somehow the guards could climb the rope arrows, (almost impossible to set up pathing in that case), you could always pull the arrow out before they got to the top.

But ladders and lifts, yes, I think that's a reality must.

In some of the FMs, we were able to get an AI to ride a lift. But it was a painfully scripted event. Having a guard patrol a warehouse and take lifts would be so much more realistic.
    Darkness is always faster than light. No matter how fast light travels, it always finds the dark waiting for it.

I agree. Garrett was nigh on invincible in TDS - just another thing that de-emphasized stealth and made the game disappointing.

I'd also like to see AI that can give effective pursuit. I remember in TDS if you used your walk climbing gloves (which were just a consolation prize in the absence of rope arrows) they would simply shake their fists at you. Escape needs to be dynamic, more unpredictable. You should always have to be on your toes. Simply throwing a flashbomb and crouching in a dark corner shouldn't always work IMO.

thank you!

If the AI can't climb ladders, then ladders should not be in the game.

Originally Posted by Namdrol
    Plat, add to that, in TDS, crouch in front of the guard, and about half their strikes miss.
    lol! I once took out one of those big moving statues with my trusty balckjack - before I got the glyph of unbinding! Took a while, but all I had to to was crouch in a little hidey-hole (in a corner, squeezed in next to a table as I recall), then crouch and click about 2 hundred times and KABLAMMO! One crumbled pile of statue! I think I got caught by one blow out of the dozens thrown, which was quickly sorted with a delicious healing potion
    Procrastination is the Thief 4 forum

Originally Posted by bambini
    lol! I once took out one of those big moving statues with my trusty balckjack - before I got the glyph of unbinding! Took a while, but all I had to to was crouch in a little hidey-hole (in a corner, squeezed in next to a table as I recall), then crouch and click about 2 hundred times and KABLAMMO! One crumbled pile of statue! I think I got caught by one blow out of the dozens thrown, which was quickly sorted with a delicious healing potion
    Yeah, I was initially scared of the
    until I realized that all you had to do was
    and they would never be able to hit you. What a load of horse excrement.

Oh Telex, you're showing me up with your mastery of the Spoiler tags
    Procrastination is the Thief 4 forum

Originally Posted by bambini
    Oh Telex, you're showing me up with your mastery of the Spoiler tags
    hahaha, I just wanted an excuse to put something in spoiler tags