Thread: Valkyria Chronicles Demo from Qore

chip5541 is offline Battlestations: Midway Lieutenant Commander

Valkyria Chronicles Demo from Qore

I have been so much waiting to try this game. I really wasn't sure what to expect although the graphic style really had me intrigued and the videos looked very cool.
    The demo consists of two types of play. The first being a tutorial and the second being a skirmish. After watching the attract mode with a beautiful musical score I was ready to give it a go. Starting with the tutorial I pretty much got killed after my first character moved. *sigh* Replayed and learned from my mistake which was end your turn after your actions or the enemy will pound you into the ground. The action switches between a tactical map for placing units before battle and selecting next unit/overview battlefield after each character has moved.
    Your types, at least in teh demo, are scouts, sniper, lancers, Tank commander, engineer and assault infantry. There is also a medic which is not playable. The medic is only seen when one of your team go to a fallen soldier.

Graphics: While we have seen cell shaded graphics this game has upped the notch considerably. It almost give the impression of hand drawn cartoons from the classic anime's. Wonderful!

Audio: As was mentioned above with the attract mode, the music is really good. In battle the sound effect are consistent with war games. The voice work is about what you would expect, good but not great.

Gameplay: From the very beginning when placing or selecting units the spots for placing units can be confusing in that some spots are almost on top of others which makes selecting not as easy as it should be. Unless I missed something this really needs to be addressed in future sequels. Once in the battle the movement of the character is pretty easy. You have several options such as move, shoot, crouch or change weapons all pretty intuitive and can be done in any order. I have found one thing odd that I mentioned before, after your turn and the enemy returns fire you have to tell press square to end your turn otherwise the enemy will continue to shoot/reload/shoot until you are dead. It does add a bit of a timing thing to the battle but wasn't until my 2nd time through the skirmish mode that I got use to it.

Overall: I like the game. Each time I played the skirmish mode the enemy acted differently. The first time consisted of the enemy hanging back a bit. The second time through they sent the scouts in for quick kills with grenades and followed up with the assault soldiers. Wonderful demo and I was just thinking to firing it up again. The full game has now moved up on my Christmas list to must have.

No one else get a chance to try the demo?

Where have you tried the Demo?
    The game is coming out soon, so that'll be exciting.

As a Qore subscriber we got to DL the demo early although I thought the UK had it avaiable without Qore.