Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: lmao

Question

What is so funny?

I dont get whats so funny.

someone prefers doom shootem ups or a Pc fan by the sounds of it
    He totally ripped through tomb raider. i know people are intitle to there own thoughts, but i ya know sometimes

He goes on and on about realism, ranging from her backpack, to the way tigers turn and the riples she makes in the water.......

My oh my, talk about nitpicking

Rolleyes

Quote Originally Posted by GoranAgar View Post
    What is so funny?
    Quote Originally Posted by Below Zero View Post
    I dont get whats so funny.
    Well, there's a ridiculous amount of nit-picking. C'mon. It's laughable.

Ohhhh....I see. It is kinda funny if you think about it. Theres no way you have to nit pick like that about a game, but Oh-Well.

Wow, this guy is narrow-minded. He goes on and on about realism, and how the smallest of glitches and interesting artistic licenses ("silly monsters", according to him) damage that realism. If I wanted realism, I'd go outside. We're in it for the imagination, aren't we? I think Tomb Raider has a lot of 'imaginary realism' going on.

I honestly didn't know you could get this nit-picky. Wow... That just makes me feel sad.
    signature image
    I am Set, god of chaos and the desert. I add to the balance of the world. Without chaos and destruction, there is no peace and harmony.

I tell you something - he couldn't shut up! People like that annoy me. They are intitled to have their own opinions, but that was just too much... And where were the positive points? That proves that he's pessimist.
    'I Make My Own Luck..'
    - Lara Croft

Cool

I thought I was nit picky but jeeze! that was pushing the limitations very far, so far indeed it crossed the line, and it didn't just cross the line, it stamped, spat and set it on fire.

Christ!!! cant believe i actually wasted a bit of tomb raider time reading that!!!

never mind,

that guy must be well tired from all the pointless thinking he has been doing!!

either that or hes just fat like i used to be and stuck in his chair all day hahaha bet theres a bum mark!!!

Seems like another 13-yr old ranting about a GAME he has never played and probably opposes due to the fact that he will never get any from a member of the opposite sex. Go figure ->

He's clearly got too much time on his hands.

Actually, I think he probably likes Tomb Raider; he'd just like to not compromise on the technical bits. Most of his complaints are legit, even if they are nitpicky. We put up with Lara running into walls and running through objects for years because we LIKED the game.

I mean, one of the reasons the idea of a TR1 remake was so appealing is that we might not be running into walls instead of turning the corner, yes?

I agree he has waaaay to much free time on his hands though. I only think these things and then point and laugh at people who type them up.

That TR site has been around and been well known longer than most of you have been fans, so perhaps you should all show some respect?

Eep2 has had GREAT level editor resources long since longer before the Level Editor was released, and was one of the sites petitioning for Core/Eidos to release an LE in the first place.

He has valid points, but I forget that anything even slightly critical of TR gets hushed down here within seconds.

This isn't really directed towards the article, this is just my opinion on realism in video games.

Real life is usually boring, and video games are a nice escape. I can understand if you want a game to be more like real life if you were playing a first person shooter set in some war... you'd want to feel like you were really there. But even games like that have to take some liberties, like a health system for instance. It wouldn't be fun at all if you got shot in the game, and that was it, you're dead and you never get to start over... because your dead for good. Games have to take unrealistic approaches to make it more fun. Having a health system keeps you alive longer and lets you actually enjoy the game instead of screaming in frustration when one bullet hits your character in the head, smack dab in the middle of the level, and you die.

For a game like Tomb Raider, it's different. This is a game that was heavily influenced by adventure films, a genre of films that usually include completely unrealistic situations to garner excitement in the audience, an audience that leads pretty normal, event less lives. Tomb Raider does the same exact thing, except kicks it up a notch by actually letting the audience (or in this case, the player), go through the unrealistic actions and events themselves to garner excitement. To escape from the dullness of real life.

It's like the Indiana Jones Trilogy. Nobody ever complains about the strange things Indiana sees, or the impossible stunts Indiana Jones can pull off, because it's just too much fun to watch, and much more interesting then what a real life Indiana Jones would go through, which would most likely be just him at an excavation site, studying old tombs. Tomb Raider is the same way. It's just not meant to be realistic in anyway, and it really wouldn't be fun if it was realistic. Tomb Raider and video games in general is escapism at it's best, because you can throw down all your problems, all your physical limitations and just fall into a world of fantasy, filled with monsters, undiscovered trap-filled tombs and deadly artifacts that could destroy the world.
    Games aren't about being realistic, it's always been about escaping reality.

Quote Originally Posted by Faye View Post
    That TR site has been around and been well known longer than most of you have been fans, so perhaps you should all show some respect?
    Heh, no. I call it like I see it.

[QUOTE=Faye;676594]That TR site has been around and been well known longer than most of you have been fans, so perhaps you should all show some respect?

BOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

Question

On what grounds do you say this? The site was formed in 1999 (it says at the bottom), and I for one have been a fan since 1998. And do you actually believe that all Tomb Raider fans have become such in recent years?

He has valid points, but I forget that anything even slightly critical of TR gets hushed down here within seconds.
    That's a rather patronising remark. So it's okay to criticise the jeepies out of a game but it's not okay to feel that such criticism is unnecessary?
    signature image
    I am Set, god of chaos and the desert. I add to the balance of the world. Without chaos and destruction, there is no peace and harmony.

On what grounds do you say this? The site was formed in 1999 (it says at the bottom), and I for one have been a fan since 1998. And do you actually believe that all Tomb Raider fans have become such in recent years?
    I base that on how most of you were acting like you had never heard of the site, and some of you even seemed to think that he wasn't a TR fan.

That's a rather patronising remark. So it's okay to criticise the jeepies out of a game but it's not okay to feel that such criticism is unnecessary?
    It's the way in which his criticism is met. It's the attitude and atmosphere that this forum is known for - say anything that's inconvenient to or disagrees with the general consensus at the time, and you get immediately rebuked. Doesn't matter what it is you actually say, if it's "bad", then it's out. Indeed, I disagree with some of his points myself, but the attitude that so many people had about his article was ridiculous, and they seemed to have no recognition of the site or it's hard work. And it's not just that, it's that not many bothered to really meet his points, instead he just immediately laughed at for daring to criticise TR.

If it had been a site that is currently popular, such as TRC, then it would probably have been a different story. That's what bothers me and that's why I said "longer than most of you have been fans".

Would I be wrong in assuming that there are quite a few members here that have no involvement in the TR community at all, outside of this forum? Maybe. But I have been told by others that that is the case, and judging by the posts I see here, I believe it too.

[QUOTE=Vilcabamba;676683]

BOOOOOOOOOOO!!!
    And this sums up what I said above perfectly. This place is like a pantomime. Attitudes and opinions are pre-programmed, no free speech. No debate, just "BOOOOO stop saying things you aren't meant to!!!".

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Phlip View Post
    Well, there's a ridiculous amount of nit-picking. C'mon. It's laughable.
    You are the one to talk.

What's with the forum bashing, Faye?

[Moderator edit]

And this sums up what I said above perfectly. This place is like a pantomime. Attitudes and opinions are pre-programmed, no free speech. No debate, just "BOOOOO stop saying things you aren't meant to!!!".
    So you'd judge this entire forum based on Vilcabamba's response to you? Do you also realize the article was not written on this site?

You're currently in the Tomb Raider general discussion forum, a place for the fans of the series to converse together. Head on over to the Anniversary and Legend forums and you'll find plenty of complaints and nit-picking. I don't see any oppression happening there, so your "freedom of speech" flag-waving is unnecessary.

Cool No! you cannot visit just one more site. go to your room!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Phlip View Post
    ... ummm ...
    this is way too much noise for an article written several years ago and only cosmetically updated to mention the CD games, which makes it seem like it was written recently. while "eep" clearly plays tomb raider, i do not get a sense from the article or the update/liner notes (to the left of the article) that the author derives satisfaction from the games in the way that most people do. it seems that this is just another case of a person who isn't happy unless there's something to complain about ...

@phlip- 'fess up ... you go all googly-ga-ga anytime the subject of Lara's hair/braid is mentioned ...
    ... and the icing on the cake seems to be the fact that the tone of the article was ... juvenile/rude ...

okay, phlip, time to raise the bar. you are obviously capable of better ... let's get to it!

Raid On!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast