Thread: Sick last week

chip5541 is offline Battlestations: Midway Lieutenant Commander

Sick last week

Good ol' Sore throat, fever and chills but still worked. Now that most gone and throat not so sore I am having trouble seeing out of my right eye. At first it was like I still had sleep in my eye with occasional floaters (black spots). It wasn't constant. Now the floaters on gone but I get an occassional black blurr like a bug flying to close to your face.

Ever here of such a thing?

I have not, but I am glad you're getting better.

You could get it looked at. At least then you get it checked to make sure it's not serious.

I've been sick since last Thursday. Sore throat for a few days and croaking like a frog, followed by general crappiness and not a lot of sleep and a stuffed up nose. During the last few days I've been getting more sleep because I've propped myself up and I'm have fewer interruptions during sleep, but this just means that all this mucus I keep making has more of a chance to collect in various places. Getting up in the morning isn't fun.

I agree with Stellazira. I had a detached retina which put a shadow in part of my vision. Do get it checked. Preferably YESTERDAY!

No idea what it might be, but I hope you get well soon, Chip.
    signature image

Switching Insurence on Moday and I hope to get it checked. My concern is either a detatched retina or busted blood vessile. Either way not good and honestly it has been getting worse. Computer screens and bright light seems to make it worse.
    If I can't get in monday I may just go to teh hospital. It's got me concerned.

Spent yesterday at the hospital and eye doc. Vision had gotten worse. Not a detatched retina which I guess ic a good thing in a way since eye surgery would freak me out. Turns out it is a vitreous detachment.

Quote Originally Posted by chip5541 View Post
    Spent yesterday at the hospital and eye doc. Vision had gotten worse. Not a detatched retina which I guess ic a good thing in a way since eye surgery would freak me out. Turns out it is a vitreous detachment.
    Good luck, but a detached retina is not a major surgery that should freak you out. They just weld it back in place with a laser. Took about 5 minutes for mine and my vision is 100% normal.

I'm sure procedures have improved. My surgery was 20 years ago.

I hope they have laid out a solution for you. Good luck.

Unlike acdetatched retina which can be corrected apparently this cannot. I have to let gravity work and the doc said it should reduce but it is something that I will always have.

Quote Originally Posted by chip5541 View Post
    Unlike acdetatched retina which can be corrected apparently this cannot. I have to let gravity work and the doc said it should reduce but it is something that I will always have.
    Ouch! My sincere regrets, hopefully it will reduce enough not to be a disturbing factor!

I'm so sorry Chip. That's sounds awful.

I hope you feel better soon and I hope that it goes away enough that you won't even notice it's there.
    Whit’s fur ye’ll no go by ye.

Thanks. I hope so to but I actually find it hard to use a calculator, which is part of my job. Looking down at the sheet and then the calculator is almost like having a bug fly in my eye. This is really distracting.

I can imagine that would be extremely irritating.

I occasionally have a "floaty" in my eye that I notice when looking at plain, light-coloured backgrounds. It does get annoying having it coming in and out of your vision. I've told the optometrist (he's actually really specialized because my dad has a literally one in a million condition) about it during my last few visits and he's looked and seen something but isn't concerned about it.

Hopefully it gets better soon chip. Something like that would get really annoying.

I get them as well, though my optometrist has told me it's nothing to worry about unless I start seeing them in abundance all the time. IIRC he either said that people with near-sightedness are more likely to have them on occasion or people with astigmatism are more likely to have them. I have both, so I can't remember which one of my eye problems he said.
    Humanity is not a species or a race, it is a STATE OF MIND.

Quote Originally Posted by JRod108 View Post
    I get them as well, though my optometrist has told me it's nothing to worry about unless I start seeing them in abundance all the time. IIRC he either said that people with near-sightedness are more likely to have them on occasion or people with astigmatism are more likely to have them. I have both, so I can't remember which one of my eye problems he said.
    Me too. It's usually perfectly normal.

Yup, me three, lol The first time I had a floater it was way back in High School. And apparently a large percentage of us will get full vitreous detachment sometime in out life, most likely after 50. It's normal, as long as it doesn't threaten retinal detachment. It subsides after a while as that vitreous fluid re-liquifies. It's just the eye aging process. People like me, and you guys/gal who are nearsighted, with astigmatism, might get vitreous detachment earlier. Something to look forward to

My sleep problems compound my eye strain and the floater stuff. Some days my eyes are like looking through halos; the veins get red and inflamed. It looks like I have pink eye, they're dry, irritated, and hard to focus. The fact I looks at screens all day doesn't help, of course.

Ugh.

Quote Originally Posted by The Hylden View Post
    People like me, and you guys/gal who are nearsighted, with astigmatism, might get vitreous detachment earlier. Something to look forward to
    Nooooooooooooooo!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by KoolKat View Post
    Me too. It's usually perfectly normal.
    Here's another eye floater Family Guy moment.

Humanity is not a species or a race, it is a STATE OF MIND.

^Thats funny.

I wish it was string or dot floaters but this is more sections and actually causes my eye to water up when I am doing work.