Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread: Wouldn't it be cool if...

Wouldn't it be cool if...

...at a certain point in the game you will be stranded on an island for some reason, you have to find FOOD instead of LOOT and it's night so you can sneak like you should.
    There are wild animals, the Burricks will be back and you find a secret dungeon on the island.

Lol, this just came into my mind, I really like sneaking inside those castles and manors but how about 1 level that is a little different, while it's still the old Thief gameplay.

So, what do you guys think?

Actually, I like the idea!
    Imagine you have been away from home to long, the next mission has a side objective; "Get some food, the hunger detains your concentration". So you can get some deer legs and eat them, like you always could in Thief.
    The consequence of not doing so is stomach growling from time to time, and that can get guards curious.

It sounds like fine Fan Mission. It'll need to grow beyond that to fit in a campaign.

I'd rather it was left to a fan mod TBH.
    A bird in the hand is... Lunch tonight.

Sounds like an interesting premise. A little more fleshed out, and I think it'd be fun. But then again, how would you measure success? I wouldn't want a "Garrett will starve to death in 30 minutes" clock ticking. And wouldn't want to suffere from slowness while he's starving, with periodic pain blasts stealing shields away.

So I wonder how it would be done. I guess it could just be like: "The ship left without me in the cargo hold. Oh, it'll be back... but I need to make it on this island for a week. Objective: Find enough food in the pagan village to survive a week. Find 4 plumsies, 3 apples, 6 oysters and 2 deer leg. Otherwise, become food for the 'creatures' of the night. Rumour has it there are some precious black pearls here, too. Find 2 of them. And 635 loot. It won't be easy. The pagans have sharp eyes. And their network of caves and tunnels are the last place I want to be right now..."

But I dunno, maybe that's stretching it?

.........stranded on an island for some reason.........
    Too common in my opinion and some sort of "filler" mission when there are no real ideas.

Originally Posted by Mercury
    ...at a certain point in the game you will be stranded on an island for some reason, you have to find FOOD instead of LOOT and it's night so you can sneak like you should.
    There are wild animals, the Burricks will be back and you find a secret dungeon on the island.

Lol, this just came into my mind, I really like sneaking inside those castles and manors but how about 1 level that is a little different, while it's still the old Thief gameplay.

So, what do you guys think?
    One might think this is cool idea at first, but after his first deer leg, he wouldn't be hungry for the rest of the mission.

stealing 100% of the food makes Garrett fat by the end of the mission, which sends you to a fun bonus level that's nothing but running and jumping along the thieves' highway and robbing houses of loots in an effort to get into shape (that or a gauntlet back through the Bone Hoard would be a fun, and you'd lose weight no matter what happened to ya...). It also changes some of the dialogue for the next mission's cutscene:

"It's been a few months since I was on that Island... I don't know what possessed me to eat all that food, but I needed this long to burn it all off so I could pull my next job..."

XD
    signature image
    signature image

Next mission : "The Garret digestion" => Infiltrate the room of captain Moira and relax at the expense of his widow.

I'm joking.

Originally Posted by jtr7
    It sounds like fine Fan Mission. It'll need to grow beyond that to fit in a campaign.
    ... Thief 4 really need a SDK.
    "There are only two things infinite: the universe and human stupidity. Except for the universe I am not sure." - Einstein

Ok, stomach growling doesn't really sound great. But the "get some food" side objective, in my opinion, could be interesting for the game, not just a fan mission. And yes, one deer leg would be enough and the side objective completed that way. If you choose not to eat, you'd have a red cross in the final mission stat screen, indicating that the objective wasn't completed, but there is no impact on the loot or any other consequence, it's just fun.
    Of course, the objective shouldn't be all random, it should make sense somehow. Like when you start the mission, Garrett says something among the lines of; "I didn't eat for a day, maybe I can find something tasty, wouldn't hurt". Those little things make games more interesting, instead of all stale and static.

It's insteresting. However, if you have to eat in-game it will be like MG3.

I like the idea of a secret Hammer(...or Old Mechanist) compound in the middle of no-where though.

If it's a Hammer Compound, it will be full of Hammerites and if It's a Mechanist Compound or a Kepper Compound ot could be the "scary" level that all the people wants, like the craddle.

I agree Psychomorph. And in response to above, how was it implemented in MGS3? I don't think this would work the same way if implemented correctly (non-silly way)

Originally Posted by Psychomorph
    Ok, stomach growling doesn't really sound great. But the "get some food" side objective, in my opinion, could be interesting for the game, not just a fan mission. And yes, one deer leg would be enough and the side objective completed that way. If you choose not to eat, you'd have a red cross in the final mission stat screen, indicating that the objective wasn't completed, but there is no impact on the loot or any other consequence, it's just fun.
    Of course, the objective shouldn't be all random, it should make sense somehow. Like when you start the mission, Garrett says something among the lines of; "I didn't eat for a day, maybe I can find something tasty, wouldn't hurt". Those little things make games more interesting, instead of all stale and static.
    Yeah, that could work without having to base an entire mission around it. Just a little side thing for the completionists.
    This body holding me reminds me of my own mortality. Embrace this moment. Remember, we are eternal. All this pain is an illusion.

It would have to make sense as natural part of the circumstances of the story. For example, if Garrett was out for an extended time in a Pagan forest, one of the side objectives could be:

"It's been a while since you've eaten, and the taste of sweet fruit would be satisfying - Find three plumsies to nourish yourself for the night"

or

"It's been a while since you've eaten, and you know there's wild game in the area - When all of your other objectives are completed, hunt for deer, and then build camp for the night."

This one could be fun, if the deer were made highly sensitive to the sound and sight of a predator (which is realistic). The only way to kill it would to be very stealthy, even with a bow at long range. It could be a fun challenge that happens once in the game. The key is to make it integrate with the story in a unique manner, so that it adds to the immersion, and provides a little bit of unexpected gameplay to break things up.

Vae is definitely on to something, both are good ideas!

That being said, the level would have to be very big to accomodate the deer hunting. But something like that could be done with today's tech, and could add a neat little standout moment in the game without screwing up the Thief gameplay at all. As long as like Vae said - it was only done once - it could be neat.
    This body holding me reminds me of my own mortality. Embrace this moment. Remember, we are eternal. All this pain is an illusion.

Garrett: Deer Hunter

"Too bad I destroyed the Glyphs... I almost wish I had a Venison Glyph right now."

Restrictions: Don't use gas weapons. It will taint the meat. A fire arrow will kill the deer, clean it, and cook the meat all at once--if you can find it after the explosion.

It should only be a side objective of a mission. A "deer hunt" could also be required in order to obtain an offering of some kind, perhaps for it's pelt...or for a contact that will only give you the needed info or service, once this task is completed. Again, it would have to be integrated in the story in order to work, and only used once.

I was going to write something in serious attempt to support the idea, but it quickly turned into RPG side-quest stuff, and now I can't see it as anything but.

In just one mission, only one time in the game, and because of a good reason (like to be in the forest during two mission), yes, it could be a good idea to remember the player that Garret is human and must subsist his natural needs.

In this case, taking this as a secondary objective in Easy and Medium difficulty, and as a binding target on Hard and Expert, there isn't the RPG side, and it took a little variety to the secondary objectives. I like this idea.
    "There are only two things infinite: the universe and human stupidity. Except for the universe I am not sure." - Einstein

That's how I imagined it. Not a gamey RPG side-quest...rather done in an integrated, story-book, Thiefy kind of way. It should make you feel the deep forest and the difference of that place, and accentuate the need to adapt to that environment, in order to be successful.

I like the idea of environmental gameplay accentuations...they pull you into your surroundings, by participating in its' uniqueness.

Originally Posted by DarknessFalls
    I agree Psychomorph. And in response to above, how was it implemented in MGS3? I don't think this would work the same way if implemented correctly (non-silly way)
    In MGS3 you have an stamina bar down of you life bar and to keep it full you have to kill animal in the jungle (like snakes, rats, dears, crocodiles,etc) and it them.

If you dont eat you can hear Snake's stomach growling and when you point a gun Snake can't point well and it's even harder to shoot the guards.

Originally Posted by Vae
    That's how I imagined it. Not a gamey RPG side-quest...rather done in an integrated, story-book, Thiefy kind of way. It should make you feel the deep forest and the difference of that place, and accentuate the need to adapt to that environment, in order to be successful.

I like the idea of environmental gameplay accentuations...they pull you into your surroundings, by participating in its' uniqueness.
    I understand that in a nebulous way, but I can't envision it in the game separate from an RPG cliche.

I just need one example that doesn't have ripple effects and flavor changes. The amount of time the player spends exploring seems interrupted here. If he has a problem with one half of his alimentary canal, it opens the imagination to problems with the other half. With Escape!, he was injured and finding plumsies healed him, and it wasn't more than that. If hunger's ever an issue, then it will tap into and amplify awareness of ignored needs like day/night cycles, sleep, relieving one's self, and other forms of intake and release. If it's not about hunger, and never feels like RPG side-questing, it will work better.

The only way I can see it working is if he gets stranded during a mission on board a ship and has to wait until they return to get back on board. Possibly he gets off to investigate something or speak to a contact and can't get back on board again before it leaves.

Garrett: I'm sure there are some Pagan caves around here. Not much else to do until that ship comes back so I may as well see if the Pagans have any trinkets lying around.

This could lead to a discovery of some artifact that begins the whole T4 story. If the ship mission was the first mission and the island second, this would then create a new opening story that is different from the others. Instead of having an item that is known like the opal etc, Garrett comes across something by chance which results in him being hunted by the bad guys who have detected the artifacts radiant power. It then gives him no choice but to deal with them, he can't let them get the artifact and none of his fences want to touch it now that a powerful sect are after it so he can't get rid of it either.
    A bird in the hand is... Lunch tonight.

...you had wizards. NINJA WIZARDS! AND BEARS THAT SHOOT FRIKKEN LASER BEAMS OUT OF THEIR EYES! OH, MAN! THAT WOULD BE TOTALLY AWESOME!

Actually, I would love to see the bear pits, although PETA would probably protest the game should it come to that.

I'd love to hear them defend frogbeasts.

Originally Posted by Tryst
    The only way I can see it working is if he gets stranded during a mission on board a ship and has to wait until they return to get back on board. Possibly he gets off to investigate something or speak to a contact and can't get back on board again before it leaves.

Garrett: I'm sure there are some Pagan caves around here. Not much else to do until that ship comes back so I may as well see if the Pagans have any trinkets lying around.

This could lead to a discovery of some artifact that begins the whole T4 story. If the ship mission was the first mission and the island second, this would then create a new opening story that is different from the others. Instead of having an item that is known like the opal etc, Garrett comes across something by chance which results in him being hunted by the bad guys who have detected the artifacts radiant power. It then gives him no choice but to deal with them, he can't let them get the artifact and none of his fences want to touch it now that a powerful sect are after it so he can't get rid of it either.

Well that sounds normal Thief, but it doesn't address the suggested Hunger objective that has never been an issue, even though the canon allows for times when he'd at least get hungry, and he never packed food for his crazy excursions (!), but I feel the mission would have food or not as usual and the player will eat or not as usual--except in this case where it would be required to finish the mission, and for the suggestion to matter, it wouldn't seem quite right if the very last objective was checked off by a player trying to finish the mission before eating anything. But yes, it sounds like an ACT I mission at most.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last