Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Thread: Adam Jensen's concept.

Adam Jensen's concept.

Adam Jensen's concept.

The physical appearance of protagonists and key characters in games has always been a fascination of mine. First playing Golden Axe and Sonic on the Sega when I was very small, I'd challenge myself to sit and draw the characters from memory (I'm an only child, can you tell? :P). This continued when I first acquired my PS1 with games like Spyro the Dragon and Crash Bandicoot. My fascination extends to games that interest me today, and I'm intrigued by techniques of character design in the entertainment industry as a whole.

Ever since I bought PCZ with Adam's original concept on the cover some time toward the end of 2008, I had been dying to see him from the neck down.

In my mind he was a little skinny, with two mech arms (flesh coloured like the first aug concepts we saw). I could never entirely get my head around what kind of clothing that high collar was part of, but in my mind he lacked a trenchcoat.

In his early concept he looks a heck of a lot like Clint Eastwood, a bit aged and wise, with the recent versions knocking a fair few years off him. In later images shots of silver hair are gone, and his skin is looking quite young and pale, with a less sloped forehead. The two painterly concepts also make him look a little more human, his hair and beard ruffled and natural.

Having said all that, I'm still totally sold by the image on the right. That high collared trenchcoat is smart without making him look uptight, and his insets are the epitome of cool, I'm very happy that they have settled on the whole design choice. And I'm happy he's still a smoker. I want to be able to light one up in-game!

Now we're better informed, what do you think of the revisions and final version of his appearance? Does he come across as an iconic, likeable, memorable character?

Does the final fantasy hair haunt you?

What about his gravelly voice, and all the merciless killing in the trailer?

hes alright. could have been worse.
    You want a real cRPG ? A real enhancement and continuation of best games in the genre?
    http://www.irontowerstudio.com/ Age of Decadence (combat demo available)

Originally Posted by spyhopping
    Having said all that, I'm still totally sold by the image on the right. That high collared trenchcoat is smart without making him look uptight, and his insets are the epitome of cool, I'm very happy that they have settled on the whole design choice. And I'm happy he's still a smoker. I want to be able to light one up in-game!
    Bold choices on their part that I think are great.

Now we're better informed, what do you think of the revisions and final version of his appearance? Does he come across as an iconic, likeable, memorable character?
    Iconic maybe. The jacket is. His all of the above really depends on the game. My favorite is the bottom left one. His nose, hairline and overall face aren't typical which is good.

Does the final fantasy hair haunt you?
    Yes... yes it does. He may be adjustable in game. Maybe it won't be so FF in game. We'll see.

What about his gravelly voice, and all the merciless killing in the trailer?
    He sounds hesitant for lack of a better word. Perfect considering he's circumstances. The cold killing and most of the trailer I'm writing off as Xbox sales advert.
    Your effort to remain what you are is what limits you.

He's nearly as cool as JC, and far cooler than Alex in every way. I like him.

I like the final version best.

I preferred the original concept - as you say, the new one knocks years off him, but I preferred the older Adam, and particularly the old design sunglasses (really don't like the new ones much, especially when they're "open.") That said, I still do think the new version is good, and his voice is pretty much spot-on what I would hope for. The "Final Fantasy" hair doesn't bother me, mainly because it's pretty much the same as my hair. :P

Smile

Originally Posted by Ashpolt
    I preferred the original concept - as you say, the new one knocks years off him, but I preferred the older Adam, and particularly the old design sunglasses (really don't like the new ones much, especially when they're "open.") That said, I still do think the new version is good, and his voice is pretty much spot-on what I would hope for. The "Final Fantasy" hair doesn't bother me, mainly because it's pretty much the same as my hair. :P
    Pictures of your hair or it didn't happen.

I'm in the capital next week and I demand to see your hair.

Originally Posted by ArcR
    Iconic maybe. The jacket is. His all of the above really depends on the game. My favorite is the bottom left one. His nose, hairline and overall face aren't typical which is good.
    The only point I started questioning his likeability was when he started kicking everyone's tail in the most violent, lethal and painful way. Spinning someone around until their neck breaks is a pretty cool move, but it makes him a bit of a... dick (for want of a better word).

And the part at the end where apparently entirely unprovoked, he snaps a guards neck. Mr K said something about imagining the guard just innocently munching on a sandwich and thinking about his wife to be before Adam dispatches him and walks away, cloaking himself with a bit of a swagger. Cool and everything. But a little unsavoury. Perhaps he's going to be a bit of an antihero, which could be quite an interesting twist. Alex "D" was annoyingly goodie two shoes most of the time, and really bad at being bad: "you picked the wrong person to mug punk"

I like the first one best, with the second one's clothes! I am torn about the glasses!

You mean London, D.C., or the capital of the world New York City. I just got a haircut but you may be on to something.

I remember that sandwich bit. That had me laughing. As far as his likeablity you asked our opinion withing a string not related, at least in my mind, to his actions.

One of the reasons I don't equate his trailer actions with his character is because IMO a large part of this should be determined by the player.

True, that is exactly why my opinions are relaxed and easy going on the whole "likeability" thing. I don't expect to know anything substantial about his character until I play the game and make my own choices therein. However, we are better informed this week than we have been for years, and there is of course a large element of opinion that comes from the way a person looks, and first impression. And these are certainly first impressions.

Aside from player choice and that it is CGI, the trailer might give us clues on the tone of the game, and some of Adam's predetermined characteristics.

The new look is better, but like Ash I preferred his old sunglasses.
    If you want to make enemies; just dumb something down
    The manderley song => http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_WnBeglPl7s

Originally Posted by ArcR
    One of the reasons I don't equate his trailer actions with his character is because IMO a large part of this should be determined by the player.
    For sure. The trailer gives a nice peek at the kind of wriing we'll see. Actions (and sadism) ought to be player-decided.
    Make a cup of tea. Enjoy a nice cheddar. Always bring a towel.

I must say, I adore Adam's current design, freaking awesome. Literally everything about it is good, I just can't emphasize that enough.
    :D His sunglasses are so epic.
    And his grim voices suits well.
    In the scene where he's killing all the grunts, I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. There are a lotta guys trying to kill him, and keeping in mind the "You'll never find 'em!"/"I'll never stop looking" bits suggesting his friends or family have been taken by team evil, I don't expect him to be all that humane.
    The ending, though, where he seemingly unprovoked goes and kills the guard, that looked just mean. I swear, Adam was all smiling in a cocky way while he was running to punch the wall. With no context for what he was doing, it does make him look... like a dick.
    "It would appear to be severe head trauma." ... "From what?"
    "Multiple Face-Palming..."

What haunts me is the amount of time it must take to get his hair that way, and having to actually play it out in his apartment on release.

I jest, he seems a dudeish character to me. I just want to know more on how he converses with people.
    Play games for the story

Adam looks somewhat similar to Richard Chamberlain from King Solomon's Mines (1985).

I think what I like the most about the latest design is he makes for much more a blank slate. I mean the early design made him look like a seasoned badass hero, bit cocky but no doubt on the good side. Now he looks more unpredictable, like he could pretty much go in any direction. The younger, slender look, the bit of darkness to him, and the definite possibility of being a real dick.

Hmm. We always see the original JC with dark hair and standard Caucasian complexion but you also had the option to make him look like an albino when you began your game proper. Will we also get to tailor AJ's appearance (in terms of race and ethnicity, dunno, some other *****)?

has this issue already been answered?

The voice and the face still don't 'click'. A voice like the one from Max Payne would suit the face better. Either that or they change the face.

I have a slight problem with the shades though: If the frames are permanently attached to the face, how the hell is he gonna mix with the anti-aug people?

Thanks capt. obvious

my comment was more focused around what sonicsidewindercoppermouthadderhead had to say about Adam being slightly "Dude-ish." While he may appear this way by default, who knows how we the player may be allowed to change his appearance before the game begins.

I'm a huge fan of his design (and most of the art style we've seen period). He has a very iconic look but as someone else said he could go either way (jerk or nice guy). The clothes work well with him too and I dig the beard (there are definitely not enough game protagonists with beards).

I was worried when I saw the first trailer because Adam looked animeish. But now he looks better
    I SERVE NONE BUT KORROK
    "It's not the end of the world but it is the end of fine dining"

Originally Posted by pha
    Pre-rendered cinematics wouldn't allow that kind of customization (unless they went crazy and prepared cinematics for all skin/hair combinations).
    Originally Posted by TrickyVein
    Thanks capt. obvious

my comment was more focused around what sonicsidewindercoppermouthadderhead had to say about Adam being slightly "Dude-ish." While he may appear this way by default, who knows how we the player may be allowed to change his appearance before the game begins.
    I think his point was that if these pre-rendered cinematics are prevalent in the game, it would require a lot of extra work to match them to any choices the player potentially makes in terms of customization.

If you can answer the use of pre-rendered cinematics question, then you can indirectly get closer to an answer for the player customization question (neither of which I'm actually sure about actually).

I've seen the trailer again and I think that "the guy at the window" (Adam's boss?) and Adam should have the voices switched. It would be much, much better.

If you can answer the use of pre-rendered cinematics question, then you can indirectly get closer to an answer for the player customization question (neither of which I'm actually sure about actually).
    Astute observation. You'll make Domination/5F in no time.

Page 1 of 3 123 Last