Thread: What's your pleasure, sir?

What's your pleasure, sir?

Okay, so by now many of us have finished the game and I find myself very curious as to other fans play-styles. I know there's the Hardcore thread, and I don't mean to tread on their toes. This isn't about how 'Hardcore' you are, playing on hard, not using survival instinct, controlling Lara using only one pinky finger and your big toes or reserving jars of urine to avoid contaminated water in an untrustworthy jungle. It's just how you played the game.

For instance, I spent a lot of time wandering around looking at everything. I was like a South African drug lord surrounded by mountains of cocaine and blood diamonds. Everything was so sparkly and shiny, even the disembodied heads rolling around were well-rendered!

I would try to complete challenges and gather all of the collectibles before performing any actions that might take me away from the area. This made the 'netted' salvage that was out of reach of my torch very frustrating. I also ran into the nettled, damage-causing bushes repeatedly, thinking there must be some way past them to extra secrets. I tried burning them, shooting them, blowing them up and hacking at them melee-style. Every time I upgraded a weapon I'd find a Fast-Travel camp and backtrack to the bushes, hoping to utterly destroy them. To no avail, obviously. Stupid bushes.

I used Survival Instinct to find rats and deer and birds for salvage and, yes, to complete many of the challenges. I even used a video on Youtube to help me find that last three mines on the beachfront. Stupid mines and their stupid heavily concealing waves.

In combat I stuck mostly with the bow, until I realized that you received trophies (or achievements) for allotted kills on each weapon, and eventually I forced myself to use the other three. I never really got along well with the rifle, the pistol was alright (especially with the silencer; I felt like Lara Croft, professional assassin), but I fell in love with the shotgun in the last third of the game.

I my attempt to gain 100% completion my first time through the game, I believe I may have robbed myself of some of the natural story progression, as I was constantly backtracking to previous areas to reach things I couldn't before. As a result, the story sometimes felt disjointed when I would return to the present camp site. In my next playthrough, I plan on simply following the story and allowing it to lead me where it may.

So I think that's about it. That's what my play-style was like. Again, I'd love to hear how anyone else progressed.

Story was the reason why I didn't complete all area's and challenges. Sometimes the story demands action. Wasting time on challenges and finding relics while your friends are in danger and need your assistance just doesn't seem right.

So I skipped quite a few of the achievements.

^Yeah, that's how I should've gone through it as well. But in the beginning, in the forest,

I think the bad habit started there and didn't stop until the game was over.

i finished the game with 78% on my first playthrough, then played it through again and got the 100% completion. i didn't do that with my first game cause i have been enjoying it with my wife and she wasn't feeling well for a few days, so i started a new playthrough to get everything.

i still need 5 single player achievements to finish all those, so i started a third playthrough for that. then i might look at multiplayer.

^Well, if you're playing on the PS3, I wouldn't wait for too long to try out multiplayer. We're a scraggly, scattered bunch as it is right now. I haven't played with a full team once.

Good luck on those last five achievements, sir, and I hope the Mrs. is feeling better.
    “A poor fool indeed is he who adopts a manner of thinking for others! ”― Marquis de Sade

I try to mix it up a bit....follow some story. If I happen to come across a tomb in my wanderings, I'll explore it. I'll check the map if points of interest pop up, or I get a "rewards" notice and seek those out.

I try to stealth through as much as I can during combat..although sometimes there is no choice because some of the enemies you happen upon will alert someone as soon as they're dead no matter what. (If they glow red in survival instinct).
    Shanghai! Hong Kong! Egg Fu Yung! Fortune cookie always wrong!

I'm playing through the story before I go for the items. Mostly because the story is stuffed with tension and, with the exception of hidden tombs, I don't feel right breaking it by looking for the items. If I see it, and it's right in my vicinity, then I'll grab it. Otherwise, I'm waiting to complete the story.
    Humanity is not a species or a race, it is a STATE OF MIND.

@ Lord Martok

I'm relieved to find I wasn't the only one using survival instinct. The first time I found out the enemies glow red in survival mode was when I was attempting to get head shots from the starving wolves locked in the cages and...

What?! Don't look at me that way. They were going to starve, I was doing the only moral thing! I couldn't very well release them, right? Not only was there not an option to, but there were like, nine of them. They would have ripped me to shreds. Pfft.

Anyway, I also used stealth on various occasions, which I wish more people would bring up. All lot of people are talking about how the enemies are forced on you, there are too many of them, the game is too violent... Nobody's bringing up the stealth aspect where you can sometimes clear an entire room without alerting anyone, or skip confrontation entirely (which I did through a large part of the geothermal caverns).

@ JRod

Once again, I find myself envious of the wiser decision to keep the tension going.
    “A poor fool indeed is he who adopts a manner of thinking for others! ”― Marquis de Sade

Quote Originally Posted by TheManInTheAlley View Post
    @ Lord Martok

I'm relieved to find I wasn't the only one using survival instinct. The first time I found out the enemies glow red in survival mode was when I was attempting to get head shots from the starving wolves locked in the cages and...

What?! Don't look at me that way. They were going to starve, I was doing the only moral thing! I couldn't very well release them, right? Not only was there not an option to, but there were like, nine of them. They would have ripped me to shreds. Pfft.

Anyway, I also used stealth on various occasions, which I wish more people would bring up. All lot of people are talking about how the enemies are forced on you, there are too many of them, the game is too violent... Nobody's bringing up the stealth aspect where you can sometimes clear an entire room without alerting anyone, or skip confrontation entirely (which I did through a large part of the geothermal caverns).
    Howdy, Man In The Alley.
    Yeah, I enjoyed using the "survival instinct" function....even though this is out of the context of its use in the game, I kinda likened it to a sort of "Spidey Sense".

As far as those wolves in the cages, I actually sat there for a minute, wondering if I, too, should put those creatures out of their misery, or allow them to wait for a moment to feast upon a hapless bad guy (which, of course, we'd never see, but I can only imagine it) who was dumb enough to let one of them loose.

I know we could scavenge animals for salvage, but I restricted such activity to boars or larger creatures. I didn't want to shoot the cute small critters...ok...except for maybe rats.

When playing a game that allows some semblance of stealth, I always get a sort of thrill out of taking out a bad guy, and his mates are none the wiser. That said, I think a cool element to add to the next game would be something akin to the Splinter Cell series, where, after you stealth killed a bad guy, you had to drag his body out of sight, lets his buddies find him and sound the alarm. It was kinda like that with Metal Gear Solid 4 as well.

(OMG, you mean, Lord Martok didn't mention "short shorts" as a part of the next game? How progressive of him! )

I fully upgraded all of my weapons first play through.
    You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.

I think I missed full upgrades for two of my weapons in the first playthrough. Darn it! (kicks can and skulks off)

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Martok View Post
    I think a cool element to add to the next game would be something akin to the Splinter Cell series, where, after you stealth killed a bad guy, you had to drag his body out of sight, lets his buddies find him and sound the alarm.
    Yes! Seriously, I can't tell you how many times in this game I stealth-dropped a guy and was like, "C'mon, Lara. C'mon, it's right there, just drag the gorram body over to the bushes so we can keep this gravy train rolling!" And of course she couldn't. I don't count it as a heavy detriment to the game, but I certainly sighed with exasperation a number of times when an enemy would spot the mess I'd made, alert his friends and suddenly every mofo on the map would know my exact location.

So, calming down now, yes. Dragging. Dragging would be great.

And the real reason I shot the wolves was far more selfish, I must confess. They were counted as enemies (despite being harmless in the cages) and increased the amount of kills required for the Rifle trophy/achievement. Also, all that barking and growling was getting on my nerves as I searched the room.

I'm ashamed of myself.

Quote Originally Posted by MagnaBass View Post
    I fully upgraded all of my weapons first play through.
    I didn't have enough salvage to buy the final 400-priced update for the shotgun. Man, that irked me. I had to kill like seven guys post-game. Seven guys, that's it! I was that friggin' close. Stupid salvage. (kicks Lord Martok's can and skulks off)

When I play Oblivion or Skyrim, usually after I kill an enemy, if they are near a cliff or severe drop off, I will dump their carcasses over the edge after I've looted them. That would be a neat mechanic in the next TR title.

And something I always thought would be hilarious in a video game, as long as it wasn't overused.....The Wilhelm Scream. If you've watched any Star Wars or Indiana Jones movie (or any number of movies with a high-fantasy, swashbuckling element to it) you've heard the scream. It would be funny to kill an opponent standing near a precipice, and as he falls to his death, you hear the "aaaaaaaahhhhhhhhgghhhhhhhhhhhh!" that became so iconic in so many fantasy action films.