Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Bitter Taste Of Hope

The Bitter Taste Of Hope

I was reading an interview with Eidos Montreal Studio about their upcoming title Deux Ex 3...READ:
    Will Eidos Montreal always be working on revamping existing IP?

The first project, as we know, is Deus Ex and that's an existing IP. The next game we start next year is also a current property that Eidos owns. But the third will be an original product. So we have a good three step process that not only helps grow the studio but lead towards original IP. I'm really happy with the plan. We're ahead of schedule too.
    Also:
    I guess, when it comes to doubts over Eidos Montreal handling Deus Ex, it's worth bearing in mind how Crystal Dynamics reversed the fortunes of the Tomb Raider brand…

Indeed. And there are other titles that Eidos own which have great value to them but they haven't been given much attention recently. Montreal is being seen as a great spot to give new life to these franchises. Our first challenge is a major one in Deus Ex - but if the company doesn't do anything with these franchises people will eventually forget they existed.

So Eidos is in a situation where it cannot permit that to happen. We also cannot let ourselves take four years to develop a game, unlike some other Montreal projects - so that plays back into us building a game in a time frame that is reasonable to everyone.
    Here's the link
    Personally I can't think about existing Eidos IP except for LoK and Theif...so let's hope it's LoK
    http://sigstressumah.members.easyspace.com/koth.jpg
    "Come to me my undead son, make haste to the Pillars, the stage is set for the Grand Finale, you will have your vengence." Mortanius

Quote Originally Posted by KainOFthehylden View Post
    Personally I can't think about existing Eidos IP except for LoK and Theif...so let's hope it's LoK
    My bet's on Thief

hmmm, I think it will be Thief either ....I mean...why not Crystal Dynamics...

This is a tricky one, because most of the Legacy of Kain team at Crystal Dynamics have since left so the issue of handing it over to a new team is pretty moot as no matter who gets it (CD or Montreal), they'll all be new people.

I too hope for a sequal, but my bet is on Hitman.

I don't think it's Hitman...they say their objective is to give life to forgotten franchises and Hitman is a successful IP and don't need revamping...I'm kinda optimistic abt this and I think it is a LoK game

Hmmm I was told from a reliable source that there will not be another thief game so Thief Deadly Shaddows was their last game. So I was told. But LOK was and simply is on hold so if it's any game that their working on it would be LOK . (Keeping fingers crossed)

*shrug* maybe they are working on it in secret. Think of it this way, Blizzard are working on Starcraft 2 correct? Now despite pressure from fans and everybody else Blizzard have said (well the gist of it anyways) "We don't care, you will get your game at 2009, 2010 or 2011, we won't respond to your pressure, go at our own pace and release the game in our own time". Now some people may think "What stinges" but think of it this way...if they respond to fan pressure and rush what if they stuff up the game? But by taking their sweet time they can make sure the game turns out excellently because they have taken out the time and energy to make it such a game...in other words they CARE. Maybe Eidos was smart and went "Hey! Lets avoid all that pressure all together and work secretly..they may feel abandoned but they'll forigve us when we give them an excellent product". That or the heavy loss in staff just made them go "nup!".

i'd hope for it to be lok. a new team working on it could breathe new life into it.

but if you do notice in the interview he says...

...But the third will be an original product.
    LOK has 5 games , it seems too good to be true...but i do hope they were talking about it.

Quote Originally Posted by DeMoNwItHiN View Post
    but if you do notice in the interview he says...

LOK has 5 games , it seems too good to be true...but i do hope they were talking about it.
    You actually misunderstood
    He's talking about THEIR third project...so that does not mean anything to feel pessimistic about..so chill:d

Quote Originally Posted by fneh View Post
    i'd hope for it to be lok. a new team working on it could breathe new life into it.
    Or destroy the last shred of life it has left. Remember BO2...
    Anyway, they say they will start working on the project next year. So when exactly next year can we expect some news?

The taste of hope is reeeealy bitter ... http://www.tombraiderinc.com/content/view/466/28/

Quote Originally Posted by Paradoxical Life View Post
    The taste of hope is reeeealy bitter ... http://www.tombraiderinc.com/content/view/466/28/
    We already know that, but if you re-read what KainOFthehylden wrote you will find that they are reviving an old franchise after Tomb Raider 8, so its not TR they're talking about

And btw you really scared me with your post, I thought they'd announced that what they're reviving won't be LoK

Sorry for the double post, and I know this has been posted somewhere on the forums before, but a little extra hope won't harm anyone:

First link

(Fake letter)

I know that The DarkOne but still...it's Crystal Dynamics that are making TR...they will be busy with it...and Eidos Montreal will be working on reviving franchises

Wow DarkOne, I was totally unaware of the letter featured in that "second link". What negative publicity are they referring to? If it's what's in the first link, I've never heard that either and it certainly wouldn't warrant closing the series. As far as most fans here are concerned, the series is closed. This sounds to me like something designed to throw off a scent.

Quote Originally Posted by TheWatcher View Post
    Wow DarkOne, I was totally unaware of the letter featured in that "second link". What negative publicity are they referring to? If it's what's in the first link, I've never heard that either and it certainly wouldn't warrant closing the series. As far as most fans here are concerned, the series is closed. This sounds to me like something designed to throw off a scent.
    Yup, the letter is about the fanfics mentioned in the first link.......but I think it proves they've given LoK 6 a thought or 2, maybe even produced some concept art (but refusing to release anything as I understood from the letter, but I could be wrong)....lets continue hoping

That letter is completely bogus. It's full of spelling mistakes, bad wording, grammar mistakes, bad punctuation, mistakes in the letterhead, and it's signed by "Customer Service Manager," which is a ridiculously ambiguous title, and no Customer Service Manager is going to reply to a member of the developing team... A member of Eidos' major staff would. Not to mention, you can tell where they pasted in the stuff they wrote.

Don't worry about that letter. Fake. Phony. Utter garbage.

However, the interview up top is great news

Quote Originally Posted by The Hylden View Post
    That letter is completely bogus. It's full of spelling mistakes, bad wording, grammar mistakes, bad punctuation, mistakes in the letterhead, and it's signed by "Customer Service Manager," which is a ridiculously ambiguous title, and no Customer Service Manager is going to reply to a member of the developing team... A member of Eidos' major staff would. Not to mention, you can tell where they pasted in the stuff they wrote.

Don't worry about that letter. Fake. Phony. Utter garbage.

However, the interview up top is great news
    Actually the letter is addressed to a member of a LoK community not the developing team

But you are right about the spelling mistakes though, I hadn't noticed them before but indeed they leave much room to doubt the authenticity of this letter (nice catch )

Exclamation

Keeping the hope up. Hope is the last to die... Please Eidos, at least one more game, one grand finale to the series. Please.

Or destroy the last shred of life it has left. Remember BO2...
    Personaly I like BO2. I even started a thread some months ago saying was BO2 is a good game. Of course, it could have been a lot better, but, in my humble opinion, Defiance could have been a lot better as well.

Quote Originally Posted by The DarkOne View Post
    But you are right about the spelling mistakes though, I hadn't noticed them before but indeed they leave much room to doubt the authenticity of this letter (nice catch )
    As if Eidos would end a video-game series just because of a Yaoi fanfic anyway

Actually the letter is addressed to a member of a LoK community not the developing team
    A regular ol' fan, eh? You think so? Either you didn't pay any attention to the letter, or you simply got duped by the person posting it in the first place saying she's the one it was addressed to. The person posting this is known otherwise for stuff like this, as in creating bogus crap.

However, the letter, if you bothered to actually read it, was clearly forged to be addressed to a "team," even more so, a distributing pre-development team, or development team at that. I quote: "We at Eidos would like to thank you and your team for all efforts in assisting the Legacy of Kain series franchise." (btw, you have to pick one, not both at once. It's a series, or a franchise, not both in one sentence) And in the second paragraph, "Chrystal Dynamics will not be sending any more pre-production material for you and your team to distribute..." Her and her "team" is not the LoK community, nor the regular fan, nor anything of the sort. Language like that is only used for members of a company. This further demotes the validity of this letter, as, again, no generic service manager is going to relate this type of thing to a member of a distributing/developing team the main company has done business with in the past, *and* the bogus claim this was for a regular fan of the community doesn't hold up with the language used. No fan in our community gets "pre-production material" to distribute!! Eidos wouldn't be in business long if it leaked out production material to regular fans before its working titles even came out, violating its own copyright law protecting said material.

You know, when you come across something like this, you really should do more time reading it for what it truly is and less time skimming and panicking... I honestly don't know how gullible people have to be to buy something so damn bad as this...

Anyway, again, IT'S BEEN DISPELLED. Now forget it ever was posted and just realize the good that this *actual message from Eidos in this thread* is telling you: Soon, in a year, two, whatever, we'll have the final, most likely, installment in the series That's what this thread is about, and to hell with this other nonsense that's not worthy of anyone's time.

Quote Originally Posted by The Hylden View Post
    A regular ol' fan, eh? You think so? Either you didn't pay any attention to the letter, or you simply got duped by the person posting it in the first place saying she's the one it was addressed to. The person posting this is known otherwise for stuff like this, as in creating bogus crap.

However, the letter, if you bothered to actually read it, was clearly forged to be addressed to a "team," even more so, a distributing pre-development team, or development team at that. I quote: "We at Eidos would like to thank you and your team for all efforts in assisting the Legacy of Kain series franchise." (btw, you have to pick one, not both at once. It's a series, or a franchise, not both in one sentence) And in the second paragraph, "Chrystal Dynamics will not be sending any more pre-production material for you and your team to distribute..." Her and her "team" is not the LoK community, nor the regular fan, nor anything of the sort. Language like that is only used for members of a company. This further demotes the validity of this letter, as, again, no generic service manager is going to relate this type of thing to a member of a distributing/developing team the main company has done business with in the past, *and* the bogus claim this was for a regular fan of the community doesn't hold up with the language used. No fan in our community gets "pre-production material" to distribute!! Eidos wouldn't be in business long if it leaked out production material to regular fans before its working titles even came out, violating its own copyright law protecting said material.

You know, when you come across something like this, you really should do more time reading it for what it truly is and less time skimming and panicking... I honestly don't know how gullible people have to be to buy something so damn bad as this...

Anyway, again, IT'S BEEN DISPELLED. Now forget it ever was posted and just realize the good that this *actual message from Eidos in this thread* is telling you: Soon, in a year, two, whatever, we'll have the final, most likely, installment in the series That's what this thread is about, and to hell with this other nonsense that's not worthy of anyone's time.

If you had just looked at my last two posts you would've noticed that I've dismissed the letter as a hoax.......and I don't appreciate words like "got duped" and "how gullible people have to be" thrown at me just because you're not feeling like reading the rest of my post (which you quoted the first half of, btw)

Exclamation

I trust we're remaining constructive here, gentlemen? Good.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast