Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Thread: Frank Miller's Batman Discussion Thread

Frank Miller's Batman Discussion Thread

Frank Miller's Batman Discussion Thread

So, my other thread pretty much died. No one has written on it in weeks

So here's a new thread for discussion! Feel free to talk about All Star, or anything else related to Frank Miller's Batman.

is there an official start date for the continuation of All Star Batman & Robin yet?

Originally Posted by Zur-en-ah
    is there an official start date for the continuation of All Star Batman & Robin yet?
    Are you one of the people who liked All Star like me? Well it starts back up in February.

Batman from Year One and TDKR will *always* be my favorite incarnation of Batman, ever. Not even Kevin Conroy can change that (though I will say that to me he's about second best).

Originally Posted by DarkKnightReturns
    Batman from Year One and TDKR will *always* be my favorite incarnation of Batman, ever. Not even Kevin Conroy can change that (though I will say that to me he's about second best).
    Tsk, tsk. How dare you?
    Batman: Arkham Asylum Hype Trailer
    "I'll never let you win, Joker... Never"

If it's any consolation, Kevin is very, very close, but I like Year One/TDKR Batman just a hair more.

If it's any consolation, Kevin is very, very close, but I like Year One/TDKR Batman just a hair more.
    Fair enough. TDKR/YO are very awesome. But for me, Kevin is Batman.

Originally Posted by EliteF50
    Tsk, tsk. How dare you?
    ?? How dare you! Kevin Conroy isn't even a dent in the Batman universe compared to the work done by Frank Miller. Kevin Conroy might be flipping burgers or homeless right now if it weren't for Miller's writing that created the platform for which TAS launched off of. TAS will always be a pale shadow of the comics for me.
    W.W.B.D. What Would Batman Do?

So how many of you guys like All Star?

All Star may well eventually creep up to be my favorite Batman book someday. I love an unhinged, violent Batman. Ever since reading ASBAR everything else just seems a tad watered down.

I believe its February.

February. Click here for a teaser.

Originally Posted by Matches Malone
    ?? How dare you! Kevin Conroy isn't even a dent in the Batman universe compared to the work done by Frank Miller. Kevin Conroy might be flipping burgers or homeless right now if it weren't for Miller's writing that created the platform for which TAS launched off of. TAS will always be a pale shadow of the comics for me.
    Yeah i mean we are comparing this:

To this:

HAHA! Thanks for the hard evidence to support my case Dr. Azar

Nothing gets me more "nerd raged" than people favoring cartoons & movies over the source material. Its just preposterous.

All Star may well eventually creep up to be my favorite Batman book someday. I love an unhinged, violent Batman. Ever since reading ASBAR everything else just seems a tad watered down.

I believe its February.
    Cool. I still don't get what's so "terrible" about it. If you accept it as an Elseworlds, it's pretty awesome and hilarious

Frank Miller is a god. I loved Year One, I loved TDKR, and I guess I kinda liked TDKSA ... but ASB&R was just awesome great fun ... my only criticism was that it never felt finished or complete

looks like Feb will sort that one out

Frank Miller is a god. I loved Year One, I loved TDKR, and I guess I kinda liked TDKSA ... but ASB&R was just awesome great fun ... my only criticism was that it never felt finished or complete

looks like Feb will sort that one out
    Well that's because it WASN'T finished or completed. There was a huge buildup and we have to wait until February to see how this ties into TDKR

Hey, buddy. Watch your mouth. That's Mr. Conroy you're talking about. A man who earned a full scholarship to attend Julliard's at the age of seventeen. A man who can blow open a bank's vault by yelling at it. A man who can cure cancer with the sound of his voice. -_-

Hey, buddy. Watch your mouth. That's Mr. Conroy you're talking about. A man who earned a full scholarship to attend Julliard's at the age of seventeen. A man who can blow open a bank's vault by yelling at it. A man who can cure cancer with the sound of his voice. -_-

Have you read All Star Batman?

Originally Posted by A Dark Knight
    Have you read All Star Batman?
    No, but wasn't its critical reception bad? I have read TDKR though, and I loved it. Frank Miller is really great, but Kevin represents Batman to me. I don't see that ever changing.

No, but wasn't its critical reception bad? I have read TDKR though, and I loved it. Frank Miller is really great, but Kevin represents Batman to me. I don't see that ever changing.
    No, it's a love it or hate it kind of book, just so happens that "big" critics didn't like it, while smaller ones did. You should read it and see for yourself. Just get the TPB

I only dislike ASBAR very slightly. As good as it is, it's obviously an imperfect book, but that doesn't mean it's not damn great.

As for Kevin Conroy, he's the second best Batman to me.

Interesting story; shortly after getting all 4 volumes of BTAS, when I reached the commentary for "Legends Of The Dark Knight", I was shocked to hear Dini and crew had never read TDKR, especially since their tribute was so close to scenes in the book. Makes me wonder if Conroy ever got around to them. I wouldn't doubt it, but I'm not sure about it either. Both badass Batmen in their own right I guess.

I think that's why Keaton is my favorite live-action Batman. He read TDKR, and it shows. Sure he may be far from the build, and they wrote him to kill, but the presence, god damn, the presence. Every time I watch him silently moving in Burton's films I expect him to belt out an epic Miller line like the famous "operating table" monologue. You can just feel it in him.

I only dislike ASBAR very slightly. As good as it is, it's obviously an imperfect book, but that doesn't mean it's not damn great.

As for Kevin Conroy, he's the second best Batman to me.

Interesting story; shortly after getting all 4 volumes of BTAS, when I reached the commentary for "Legends Of The Dark Knight", I was shocked to hear Dini and crew had never read TDKR, especially since their tribute was so close to scenes in the book. Makes me wonder if Conroy ever got around to them. I wouldn't doubt it, but I'm not sure about it either. Both badass Batmen in their own right I guess.

I think that's why Keaton is my favorite live-action Batman. He read TDKR, and it shows. Sure he may be far from the build, and they wrote him to kill, but the presence, god damn, the presence. Every time I watch him silently moving in Burton's films I expect him to belt out an epic Miller line like the famous "operating table" monologue. You can just feel it in him.
    What were your pros and cons for All Star? Just to generate discussion

According to me:

ASBAR

Cons:

Batman abusing Robin

Pros:

Everything else

I am really looking forward to ASBAR return in feb!

The others, I can't really enjoy them as I'm a visuaIist and can't get my head round the art, it's just too messy for me to handle.

No if Jim Lee did all frank miller work, I'm sure I would see it in a different light and think it was pure awsome. But unfortunately I can't feel that as I am let down by the art and can't get into the story no matter how much I want to or try

According to me:

ASBAR

Cons:

Batman abusing Robin

Pros:

Everything else
    Well, I've always found Robin annoying

Originally Posted by A Dark Knight
    Well, I've always found Robin annoying
    Even if you feel this way, one has to admit it's a little unnerving to watch Batman dish out physical pain to an innocent, let alone traumatized, tween when he was previously established to only do so to people who REALLY deserve it, like pimps, serial rapists, child killers, etc.

That aside, ASBAR is great.

Page 1 of 3 123 Last