Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lara's hair colour

Lara's hair colour

I always used to think Lara's hair colour was red, before I read her bio and discovered that she was a brunette. Really, her hair has a kind of reddish glow in the games, don't you think? I am red-headed, so it made me initially glad to see a videogame character sharing my haircolour. Then again, if she really were red-haired, she might be justifiably killed in the UK, and so would I, if judging from a recent news story I read.

We've heard about the guy arrested for owning a Lara mannequin - but this is even crazier! A family in Newcastle have been living like evacuees for some years now and have been attacked on various occasions, their property destroyed, their house violated, a son contemplated suicide. And the reason?

They all have red hair.

Yep, I kid you not. But what really made me growl in stinging injustice was to read that a city official told them just to colour their hair! Can you believe it?! The city aren't trying to stick up for the family or apprehend this red-hair version of Ku Kux Klan (yep, there really is a faction!); they tell the family, "just give in". Of course they didn't.

I was often teased about my hair colour in grade school, but the teasing diminished as I got older. Apparently you people in the UK have a harder time letting go. This story made me so angry that I felt I had to raise awareness to just how low humanity can sink. How sad can people be, to form an organization about red hair? Who cares?! Why not attack all the people who have coloured their hair pink or whatever?

I have red hair and, because of stories like this, I am never ever colouring my hair. In fact, I have never been more proud of it.

Now, where is Lara's number; she must infiltrate idiot factions like this and teach them a lesson.
    signature image
    I am Set, god of chaos and the desert. I add to the balance of the world. Without chaos and destruction, there is no peace and harmony.

Hi Seth,

Firstly, regarding Lara's hair colour I always thought it was brown with a chestnut or auburn tint in certain lights, as you say. Many criticised Angelina Jolie's hair of being too dark in the role but to me that was a bit like 'Picking hairs' if you'll pardon the pun!

As for your treatment and that of the family you mention, I find it despicable. Some British comics are always making gags not about red-heads as such but those with ginger hair and I see no justification in it at all. That said they always make bimbo jokes about blondes

I think many people like red hair. I died mine brown from blonde then I further died it very dark brunette. A few months on and I decided to experiment with a lovely permanent plum colour - which in the sunlight looked really vibrant.

It started to grow out eventually and fade so I decided to stick to a dark brown - using the new range of dyes that don't contain peroxide (though it's a mystery to me just why peroxide is needed to darken ones hair

I think it's diabolical how that family were told to dye their hair - what an insult and how segragating it was - it's as if to say they are some form of alien being for God's sake. Typical beaurocratic approach to a very serious problem. It seems they felt the reasons for the violent threats were trivial and therefore the solution was equally so (again no pun intended with the word 'solution' there!). They should have made the perportrators dye their hair pink and let them walk around and witness first hand what it feels like to be victimised over something like hair colour.
    Everyone is entitled to my opinion.

I remember in my old school, anyone that had anything close to red, they get 'GINGER!!!!!!!!!' yelled at them all day. One girl who had dark brown (almost black) hair got blonde highlights, and apprantly she was a 'ginger'. Girls actaully took to dying their perfectly lovely hair to black or beach blonde just to avoid it.

I don't understand. I think red hair is nice. I'm a natural blonde, but I have died my hair loads of times. I once died my hair red, and I though it looked gawjuss!! That was - until it turned pink for some unkown reason...
    "I'm up for a little heresy"

Athiest. I once used a strawberry blonde dye and it came out brick orange

There was a chemist near me but I didn't have a single baseball cap to my name at the time so had to think fast!! Being quite inventive I tied it all back into a really tight bun, hid the hair in the bun with a huge scrunchy wrapped around about 40,000 times and then got out some water colour paints. I simply painted the visible hair brown, wiping any spills with a flannel

I waited for it to dry then kept going over to the sunniest window with my hand mirror to make sure it didn't look painted! Nobody noticed, seemingly. I bought a darker shade and applied it the following morning - I didn't even care if it all fell out - anything was better than that awful 'Home hair disaster' look

I've always loved red hair, and I was thrilled when I had to dye mine auburn for a role in college. I kept it red for years, even making some ill-advised color choices (there is no "off" button for some shades of red, you know!) but I love red hair!

It's not red anymore. I can actually afford to get professional highlights now, but I look at the red swatches on the hair color board with great interest.

That's a very bizarre shame about that family in England. I wonder why that's so? Is there some superstition about red hair?

Though I don't have red hair myself, this incident enrages me. How people can be that incredibly STUPID is beyond me. I'd love to know what's going through their mind!

I mean, what the hell is wrong with redheads? They're still humans aren't they!? So it's red hair... BIG FRIGGIN' DEAL!

'OH MY GOD IT'S A REDHEAD!' What's the worst they could do? Look at you with their redheaded-evilness?

Do you have ANY idea idea how boring it would be if we all had the same hair color? It's just hair... But still. The smallest things can make the biggest differences - in both good and bad ways. The bad way is how people make a huge deal, let alone a deal at all, about red hair. The good way is that different hair colors add variety and personality.

That's just me, but it really infuriates me when people nit-pick like this.
    To be proud of virtue, is to poison yourself with the antidote

(Gats Headache with tranquilizer darts)
    WOOOOAH, NELLY!

Point made though, red hair, it's just hair. Doesn't make you a bad person...

Kinda like the skin colour thing. I know a few GREAT black guys.

Me... I'm white but I listen to hip-hop and keep saying "a'ight" to my "homies"
    Hate me.

But Lara's hair, definitely, I've always thought she had red-tinted brown hair. It's a nice colour, me likes it... A bit long though!
    Blessed is the man who sells his soul to the devil and the cheque bounces...

Sorry sorry sorry... I did get a bit over-excited
    D'oh!

I got some grief as a kid, then dyed it all sorts of unnatural colours, and settled back into red, I thought the grief was over, but I got harassed a few weeks ago by two bleach blondes saying how much they hated red hair and people who had it. I was very surprised, since they did not care at all that I may be hurt or offended.
    "Ignorant people think it's the noise which fighting cats make that is so aggravating, but it ain't so; it's the sickening grammar they use. --Mark Twain"

Quote Originally Posted by CatSuit&Ponytail View Post
    I got some grief as a kid, then dyed it all sorts of unnatural colours, and settled back into red, I thought the grief was over, but I got harassed a few weeks ago by two bleach blondes saying how much they hated red hair and people who had it. I was very surprised, since they did not care at all that I may be hurt or offended.
    Cat, your hair is amazing, you should have knocked out those girls' teeth.

Some of the World's most beautiful women are redheads. Nicole Kidman is I believe a natural redhead (now blonde), but in her earlier films she always sported a great mass of curly red hair and was equally beautiful as one.

I once read that Tom Cruise first saw her in the movie Dead Calm alongside Sam Neil and Billy Zane (good film), and that he wanted to know 'who that girl was!' They dated and of course were married for almost a decade.

Rula Lenska is quite uniquely beautiful (and maybe wouldn't be so if her hair was not red?). There is a lot of call for roles for red-haired women certainly - Sissy Spacek is a redhead and many more I don't really need to list. I think you get the gist. Many (or maybe all??), red-heads have striking blue or green eyes.

Perhaps people are just jealous they don't have naturally red hair.

I knew a girl with hair like fire and shocking green eyes. Wow she was beautiful.

There's also this girl, she's okay-looking, not amazingly pretty, but she has ORANGE hair. Not red, like electric orange, litteraly. And apparantly it's natural. It's like so beautiful!

And there's this other girl I knew (I did'nt like her, too spiteful and full of her self) who has long locks of orangey-red hair and it was lovely. But she got mega stressy with anyone who said it was red. Her friends were all like, "NO! It's brown!" when it was no where near brown. It was oviously red. But it was so lovely, it was a shame she would'nt admit it. There's no shame in having red hair.

I think people who tease 'gingers' are just jelous because they have lank, greesy boring hair. 99% of time, they do.

Quote Originally Posted by CatSuit&Ponytail View Post

Cat I was stunned by your beautiful hair when viewing yours and Goran's pics. I was desperate to ask if it was natural for it's such a unique, stunning colour. I wasn't going to mention it in the thread so I'm glad you did I bet you turn heads aplenty and for all the RIGHT reasons. In fact when I was visiting home recently I was browsing the Eidos forum and showed the pics to my Dad without saying anything and he remarked 'Gosh, she's got lovely hair hasn't she? What a lovely looking lady'

Those nasty, thoughtless and insensitive people were probably envious. I assume they were women/girls? Maybe their fellas were nearby giving you the once (and twice) over Unsolicited opinions like that are indicative of their own insecurities if you ask me. Your hair is awesome - I always look forward to seeing new pics so I can study it - it's a work of art mate!

Quote Originally Posted by Headache View Post
    Sorry sorry sorry... I did get a bit over-excited
    D'oh!
    Eyyyyyy, there ya go. The ol' tranquilizers kicking in!

Catsuit, just see such things the same as me. So some synthetic fakes turn on you and spite you, being obnoxious and cruel... Take a look at who THEY are, then take a look at who YOU are... and smile contently with a boosted feeling of self-pride!
    Like some Nazi muffin did a middle-finger driveby on me a few weeks ago... I felt great the rest of the day.

As for Atheist's idea... Yes... the TEETH... knock out they teeth and then post them to me.
    You can NEVER have enough spare teeth.

Red Face (Embarrassed)

Ohhh you guyssssssss.

Oh, um, I think Lara had redish brown chestnutty hair in the early games, even though they said it was brunette.. <--on topic, right?
    "Ignorant people think it's the noise which fighting cats make that is so aggravating, but it ain't so; it's the sickening grammar they use. --Mark Twain"

On topic wha?
    How is it?

Who's Lara?

There's really nothing prettier than a head of naturally red hair. You can't duplicate that color with a bottle.

It's horrible that chicks pick on each other like those girls did you. In those cases, I always paraphrase the best putdown I ever heard, (and it's in Gigi, of all things!)

After Gaston criticizes Gigi's new dress, she says "With all the talk there is about you, Gaston, I've never heard it said you had any taste in clothes."

I used to Ginger haired when i was born but it change anturally to Blonde when i was 5 or 6 then it changed Light brown then mousy brown colour. anyways back on topic,
    I liked lara's hair tinted Ginger it looked sexy and realistic.

Also: Catsuit , I saw you on the documentery on the second TRA disk and your Hair is Great

Yay, Catsuit! (high-fives) Us red-heads have to stick together. (hugs) Jealousy is probably the word - I hope that doesn't sound conceited, coming from a redhead, but people are always nice to me about my haircolour. In fact, I've got tired of the constant praising of my hair. We've all seen your pictures and I think your hair is beautiful.

Those blondes were obviously full of it. They were probably so used to dull, mundane colours that your hair shocked them. Sadly, in all too many cases in this world, all that is beautiful and stand-out is shot down to defend the mundane. And besides, what do they know about the people who have red hair?

About the superstition surrounding red hair: an old, archaic and obviously wrong reference to the Bible stated that Judas Escariot had red hair. I can't imagine that having been possible in that part of the world, especially in that time. Anyway, this sprung the superstition that red-headed people in general are 'unlucky' in some way. Which of course is utter nonesense.

Come on, people - it's 2007, for crying out loud. We're supposed to live in an enlightened society. Red-hair haters have obviously never been to Ireland - supposedly all red-headed people descend from Celtic roots, unless I'm much mistaken. Come on over to Iceland; we think red hair is really cool. My heart goes out to the family in Newcastle.
    signature image
    I am Set, god of chaos and the desert. I add to the balance of the world. Without chaos and destruction, there is no peace and harmony.

Lara's hair always looked brown to me. I love it.
    "Well, this is a Tomb. I'll make them feel at home." -Lara

Quote Originally Posted by Lo View Post
    Many (or maybe all??), red-heads have striking blue or green eyes.
    I myself have bluish grey eyes.
    signature image

Quote Originally Posted by Seth Koopa View Post
    Why not attack all the people who have coloured their hair pink or whatever?
    Err... Okay.. That's a little rude right there. Why not leave all hair colours alone, so everyone can be happy.

Yes. I myself have been harassed by my hair, but it was mainly because my hair was curly. Naturally curly. My hair colour is like lara's, red-burnette. I've never liked it, because people kept giving me crap for it, until I got older and now I feel better about it, since everyone else is wanting the same hair as I do. Which is why they get it permed. Also, it's thick and long.

Yes, I get what you mean on the red hair on Lara's head, but I don't think it was red, just a golden brown; my opinion. I personally don't care if her hair is red-burnette, or just burnette. Just as long as it's Lara, and only Lara. I dislike the fact that they keep editing her face, when I think they got her visage very well from the last Tomb Raider game, and now they're editing it more? Just annoys me.. What annoys me more, is that they changed her too much in Legend, it made me feel like I was playing a completely different game. Didn't feel like Lara, At all..
    Nothing is True. Everything is Permitted.
    My.DeviantArt

Quote Originally Posted by Goar View Post
    Err... Okay.. That's a little rude right there. Why not leave all hair colours alone, so everyone can be happy.
    I didn't mean that literally, I just think it's insane that some people have to be bothered by something so completely trivial and individual as somebody else's haircolour, especially seeing how hair comes in all manners of different forms, both in colour and texture.

On Lara's redesign - well, doesn't it happen in all cases of character design? Once a character gets popular, it undergoes a thousand design changes. I think Legend and Anniversary Lara looks a bit like the Last Revelation in-game Lara. It doesn't really bother me; her backstory having been changed annoys me much more.

Wow, I remember this thread.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast