Thread: Any tips for Final Plane Challenge mission? *possible spoiler*

Any tips for Final Plane Challenge mission? *possible spoiler*

Any tips for Final Plane Challenge mission? *possible spoiler*

In this mission you must destroy 2 big BB's with your 2 airfields before the BB's leave the map. I cannot seem to come anywhere close to beating this one, the most I've gotten is 50% damage on one before the game ends. Any tips you guys have would be great!

First off I'll list my and the enemies units for reference:
    US:
    1 Carrier which launches hurricane fighters (very deadly, need to be taken care of or will totally decimate the bombers)
    2 big BB's
    2 Fletcher destroyers

JP:
    2 Airfields capable of 12 planes at one time
    Oscar fighters w/ optional 2x 100kg bombs
    Nell bombers w/ 6x 250kg bomb OR 1 torpedo
    Betty bomber w/ 10x 250kg bombs OR 1 torpedo

What I've been doing is sending in all Oscars with bombs to take out the carrier and its fighter wing first, which they usually succeed at, and then having them land.
    I then send out Betty's with torps on them (tried bombs, not as effective) to hit the BB's. Unfortunatley it doesn't seem like they know how to torp on there own (like how Zero's hit the watter after dive bombing) and almost always miss meaning I'll get only 1 hit per squadron if I'm lucky.
    The thing is the ships always leave before I can kill them.

I could probably beat this pretty easy if the bombers knew how to torp so is it possible I just can't beat it due to this bug or have one of you found something that works? The BB's seem to be extra resilent to damage so I'm stumped.

I don't have the game (but i will next week ) but i think i know a way. I am highly against this... but you could kamakazee your first wave of units to buy you some extra time.

Or... (this one i like more) you could try to disable the engines of the BBs whith torps. and bombers. i am not sure where exactly where to hit but i am sure it is somewhere in the rear. (may take some experimenting to find it )

hope this helps!

i know

dont have the game yet but its pretty obvious to me what you must do.

1. launch oscars with bombs to sink the carrier
    2. launch as many bomber squadrons as possible with torpedoes and send them after a bb
    3. keep an eye on them and when they get close to the bb manually launch torps

i think this will work as i belive there to be a bug in the ai that means that there not perfect at bombing.

Hope this helps

The AI bombing works perfectly, I watched one of my bomb runs and everything was dead on target, well at least 70% which is great for carpet bombing.
    I just did the caluclations and I am dropping 120 bomvs on the Renown each wave. That's 30,000kg of explosives dropping on a ship at around 500 miles an hour. These don't even need to be bombs, they could just be weights and it would take down the ship.
    Now I would understand if that didn't SINK the ship, a balancing issue I'm sure, but it should do serious damage. How much damage does it do?
    Less that 1/8th. 30,00kg of bomb do less that 1/8th damage to a ship.

That's pratically a small nuke going off on the deck of the Battleship and it does 1/8th damge.

I flew through the first 2 missions, I easily did the ship and sub challenges, but I just cannot ever come even close to beating this one.
    And the torps are even worse, most of the bombers get taken down from AA before they even get in range and when they do they always miss unless I'm controlling thaem which brings my effectiveness down a minimum of 66% right there.

Any tips for the mission before it? I just keep getting overrun by those darn divebombers!

Originally Posted by Cameraman
    Any tips for the mission before it? I just keep getting overrun by those darn divebombers!
    Well first off, and most obvious, you need to send your fighters immediatley to the next area of combat before you even see the enemy there.
    Second, when combat is coming to a close crash any squadron with only one plane left into the ocean and make a new one of 3.
    It's best to keep your suadrons at 3 and not more because it allows you to engage more enemies at once and nothing really poses a threat to your fighters.

That's about all you can do, just make sure your fighters are all attacking a different target unless you really really need to kill something.

I'll tell you how I beat this level.

It took me a couple of times to formulate a decent strategy.

The first thing that I did was I had each airfield launch three squadrons of Nell's with bombs, and one squad of Oscars. I had each squad group up in the middle of the two islands before attacking the carrier. I then sent the two Oscar squadrons to attack the hurricanes and sent every nell to carpet bomb the carrier. This should take the carrier out in one swoop making it much easier to attack the battleships. You should have time to land any Nell's that survived the bombing.

My second step was launching either Nell's, or the other bomber, in groups of four squads, armed with torpedos, and have each group of four attack the battleship closest to their respective airfields. Make sure that the four squads are all together before having them attack because if they attack one at a time the chances of them being shot down increases by alot. Also, if you're running out of time, do not hesitate to kamikaze your bombers after launching their torpedos since it enables you to create more faster, and the bombers actually do damage when they crash into the battleships.

I didn't really bomb the battleships due to it doing next to no damage, and because I was a horrible shot. I found that torpedos worked better, and though you will lose many, if you attack in large groups of four squads, you should be able to get hits on the battleships.

Originally Posted by Bill S Pr3ston
    I'll tell you how I beat this level.

It took me a couple of times to formulate a decent strategy.

The first thing that I did was I had each airfield launch three squadrons of Nell's with bombs, and one squad of Oscars. I had each squad group up in the middle of the two islands before attacking the carrier. I then sent the two Oscar squadrons to attack the hurricanes and sent every nell to carpet bomb the carrier. This should take the carrier out in one swoop making it much easier to attack the battleships. You should have time to land any Nell's that survived the bombing.

My second step was launching either Nell's, or the other bomber, in groups of four squads, armed with torpedos, and have each group of four attack the battleship closest to their respective airfields. Make sure that the four squads are all together before having them attack because if they attack one at a time the chances of them being shot down increases by alot. Also, if you're running out of time, do not hesitate to kamikaze your bombers after launching their torpedos since it enables you to create more faster, and the bombers actually do damage when they crash into the battleships.

I didn't really bomb the battleships due to it doing next to no damage, and because I was a horrible shot. I found that torpedos worked better, and though you will lose many, if you attack in large groups of four squads, you should be able to get hits on the battleships.
    Trying this now, I'll see what happens!

Well I did it!
    I adapted your strategy a but though, I found Oscars with bombs are much faster at killing the carrier.
    Also I only sent in 2 bombers at a time for each BB seeing as I can only control one at a time this lead for much faster kills and a steady stream of bombers, little waiting time.

I'm now in 5th place for best Gamerscore in this game!

I also beat it 2 minutes ago... Wish there were more of these, more challenging even.

The thing that made the last level my favorite is that it was hard, but not long. If it's too long then it will be far too frustrating playing through the same thing over and over.

All I did to beat it was build 8 groups of torps and have them all attack one battleship at roughly the same time. I controlled the lead torp bomber because the BB is good at avoiding the torps when auto controlled.
    As soon as I released the torp, I switched to the next one and dropped... and so one and so on.

I lost all my planes. But just built more and did it for the second BB. Almost killed it and had to do one more run. All together I had 24 squads of torp bombers take out both BB's. I ignored everything else.

I found that the third plane mission is not that hard (I thought the second level was harder with the dive bomber assault). What I did was send two squadrons of fighters in first as a distraction, and sent all torpedo bombers in after them, targeting only the BBs. At first I tried carpet bombing the carrier (usually effective against carriers), but this proved ineffective and just a waste of time. Just target the BBs unless you have time to go after the carrier.

I first lauched all my level bombers with the six bombs and had them meet in the middle. It was an awesome sight to see all those planes flying in the air. I sent all of them to carpet bomb the carrier. The carrier didn't stand a chance with 24 bombers hitting it, then I lauched torpedo bombers and finished them off.