Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tomb Raider feel - what 5 things are important to you?

Question Tomb Raider feel - what 5 things are important to you?

I think the important thing about this remake is the subtleties that made us all enjoy the original and that they get that right. For me that includes the lighting and the colour of the original levels. In one of the trailers one room seemed very bright compared to the original - may have just been me. The game must capture the atmosphere of the original, the sense of isolation, the loneliness, the subtle sound effects and the sense of wonder when arriving at a new location or area of interest. The feeling of fear as a hoard of wolves appear out of nowhere...

The 5 most important things for me are:-

Lighting / colour
    Level Design / length
    Sound effects / music or lack of it...
    Secrets
    Ability to explore..

What 5 things are important to you?

You stole the words right out of my mouth. The Level design and ability to explore are SO important. I want to be able to feel like I'm inside that tomb and that it's not a one hallway room, but a tomb filled with pitfalls and wrong turns, because that's what makes it a tomb, right? The sound is also important, I would basically be okay with the sound effects and music used on TR1 because it fit the game so perfectly, the feeling of isolation was amazing, also an important factor.

p.s. good thread

I never played the first tomb raider- I wish I had but I would say that I would like:

Level Design
    More moves
    Exploring
    Beautiful surrounds
    Secrets...

I agree with Taylour, that I would like to have places where you can fall and you have to think quickly. Make you on the edge of your seat the whole time- with the tombs more than a hallway.

As a fellow Tomb Raider player I also say that the ability to look, feel, and think you're where Lara is, is all to important. Just playing and feeling like your there, you get caught in the moment. That's what makes Tomb Raider so great. Also, i like the levels in the games to be long with challenge. I didn't find much of that in Legend, but i'm tellin ya it was still a great game. My top 5 are as follows....

1.) Ability to feel as though you're in the game
    2.) Lengthy/difficult levels
    3.) Graphics of the game...(this helps the whole be there yourself thing, )
    4.) The stunts and things you do while playing
    5.) Great cut scenes..(Personally i'm a fan of both the hard ones and the mellow drama ones)

1. I want to be able to explore the environment, not just look at it.
    2. I want meaningful secrets and rewards, i.e., useful items, additional gameplay.
    3. I want to get lost.
    4. I want to get scared.
    5. I want as few cut scenes as possible, preferably between levels. I got very tired of them playing the game for me in Legend.

Quote Originally Posted by LisaB
    3. I want to get lost.
    4. I want to get scared.
    I like

2. I want meaningful secrets and rewards, i.e., useful items, additional gameplay.
    3. I want to get lost.
    4. I want to get scared.
    5. I want as few cut scenes as possible, preferably between levels. I got very tired of them playing the game for me in Legend.
    I completely agree

I like the cut scenes when they are too the point or interesting and don't go through a lot of the level... There were quite a lot of lengthy cut scenes in the original games, but they provided useful information, but not to the point where you didn't have to think.

the plays the thing ...

3. I want to get lost.
    4. I want to get scared.
    5. I want *less nurturing* cut scenes ...
    except for item #2, which hasn't been addressed publicly, as far as i know, it sounds like 10ann has you smoothly covered.
    we already know already that 10ann will be beautiful and that it offers significantly more non-linear play, etc.

i want CD to swing the paradigm pendulum far enough to the other side so that they can clearly see that Tomb Raider will be a hit, because it has (reasonable) configuration options and because it uberly-challenges the player. getting stuck should happen ... spoilers can be had in a click, if that's how you roll ... i'm willing to bet that the tomb raider coolness factor will skyrocket in proportion to the nurturing factor being minimized, as long as the controls are easy to use (i.e. transparent) and the means for getting clues is reasonable within the the game. being able to explore has merits all on its own and just about everyone enjoys "figuring it out". of course, all of this comes at a price, so i wish infinite development resources to CD ...

at its roots, tomb raider has an element of aristocracy to it, which pulls it out of the mud.
    i want CD to raise the bar so that other games will be less able to even pretend that they are tomb raider-like ...

"They say that once you've played Tomb Raider, you'll never go back ..."

Lightbulb These:

1, Music coming in interesting places
    2, Good long memorable game
    3, Lighting atmosphere
    4, The sense of isolation
    5, The bits that randomly made you jump.

I think that this and a few more stuff if put into a TR game would make it great and very memorale.

1. very long levels (when i say very i mean it)
    2. maybe more ways to take down enemies, like jump of a bear's back and ride it like a horse into a brick wall.
    3. decent orchestral music, but not 24/7
    4. not lots of copied prince of persia moves.
    5. getting to play some of the cutscenes like when lara breaks into the natla office building.
    " I'm Doctor Willard, I came to converse with Tony myself, but i saw that you were doing a more critical job, and i am inspired! I would like to offer you other work."

1. Level Editor
    2. Level Editor
    3. Level Editor
    4. Level Editor
    5. Level Editor

Quote Originally Posted by dhama View Post
    1. Level Editor
    2. Level Editor
    3. Level Editor
    4. Level Editor
    5. Level Editor
    Hmmmm... I don't know why but I have a slight hint that you might like Level editor. I don't know why

Quote Originally Posted by Phlip View Post
    Hmmmm... I don't know why but I have a slight hint that you might like Level editor. I don't know why

That ain't gonna go over too well. You poor neglected child, you haven't played any fan built TR levels? You don't know what you've been missing! I haven't played many, but I can appreciate the work that goes into them. Fan contributed levels add a whole new dimension to any game! I'll leave it to other level builders and players to chime in with the value of a level editor.

I'm njot neglected! But I havn't played them because there are no actual links to download them, I would if someone gave me the link to a deicent level.

Quote Originally Posted by Phlip View Post
    I'm njot neglected!
    Just to clarify, Phlip, I don't actually think you're a "poor neglected child". It was just a figure of speech, so I'm sorry if it offended you, no offense was intended.

oops wrong spelling

You didn't offend me, and I know it's just a figure of speech, I just wnted to say.

I dont know if a level editor would be possible... with the old tomb raider games the levels were built with triangles, easy to manipulate and relatively simple building block structure... whereas with legend and 10ann I believe dont use triangular block builds the levels have been more scuplted, whether that would be to technical to build into a level editor I dont know...

I love all your ideas guys... great response to my first thread... any other wish lists?

For me definitly
    1) color, texture, shadows(design)
    2) Lara's moves, shape,
    3) Levels. Have to be big, diverse, they must look real...
    4) Enemies must act independently. One does something and the other does other, but not the same thing at the same time! It takes reality, fun, enjoyment of the game!_I know this is in the game! The AI has been emproved on this way, so good job EIDOS, C.D., others...
    5) Veracity is always good in a game! For example, in the Greek levels, things should be in Greek! Like MIDAS(ΜΙΔΑΣ), Neptune(ΠOΣΕΙΔΏΝΑΣ) or Thor(ΘΩΡ)! If this doesn't appears, I'm sorry EIDOS! Less points I'll give you!

Quote Originally Posted by Inn_Hevonn_Klann View Post
    4) Enemies must act independently. (
    I have always liked this idea.... i loved the Barkang monistery on TR2 where all the monks start fighting.. I sometimes loved rushing in there and helping them out and other times staying in the cave watching the fight... they always seemed to be acting as real characters not just a stepped series of programmed instructions...i loved the idea that if you helped them they didnt attaack you but if you killed one of theirs they were all out for your blood!!

That ain't gonna go over too well. You poor neglected child, you haven't played any fan built TR levels? You don't know what you've been missing! I haven't played many, but I can appreciate the work that goes into them. Fan contributed levels add a whole new dimension to any game! I'll leave it to other level builders and players to chime in with the value of a level editor.
    I must say, I have not played any fan built either, and my hearts aches to. hahaha, okay, maybe I don't want to play one THAT bad, but I still want to. Us PS1 people missed out, apparently! (but keyboard controls bug me anyway)

1.Big , beautyfull levels
    2.Puzzles (real puzzles!!!)
    3.Music same as in Legend or better
    4.Playing one level longer than 5 hours
    5.Lara Lara Lara

You want 5 points so you have but I could give you much much more

I remember the feeling of getting stuck on a level and running round and round for hours till I figured it out...oh the thrill of finally reaching a new level...I loved the longevity of the old games... as mentioned numerous times Legend was far too short and too linear... I want huge caverns... huge drops... I loved the feeling of Acrophobia you would get looking down over a ledge or drop in the old games

Beauty TR1 was beautiful for its day.

Atmosphere - Gorgeous yet claustrophbic and also immense Tombs. I'm not fussed about the difficulty, TR1 wasn't exactly hard first time out so good gameplay, comes under atmosphere for me, and the inclusion of the midas hand (hey i can't help wanting to see Lara turned to gold with uptodate-ish graphics )

Personality - Laras personality being able to shine through more than it was in TR1 (better technology allows that) (more like TR 2, 4 and Legend where her wit and sacrasm not to mention spunky classiness really shine through her essential Laraness)

movements - The fluidity of Legends engine thrilling though it is to have to battle hand cramp holding the X button for a 5 min ledge shimmy or to have to walk to every ledge in case you fell off, the fluidity of movement allowed by the Legend system really helps the immersion in the game.

Animals - The sound of the Crocadiles, that was so good in TR! i hope that is as creepy. Not to mention the T-Rex has to be scary and make your palms sweat.

end of the day i adored Legend, and i still adore TR1 so i'm not worried i am positive CD will make a great game which will do Lara proud.

And will keep me out of trouble this spring.

beccaxx

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Jontif View Post
    I dont know if a level editor would be possible... with the old tomb raider games the levels were built with triangles, easy to manipulate and relatively simple building block structure... whereas with legend and 10ann I believe dont use triangular block builds the levels have been more scuplted, whether that would be to technical to build into a level editor I dont know...

I love all your ideas guys... great response to my first thread... any other wish lists?

Just to clarify something Jontif, having a level editor with Anniversary won't be as difficult to use as you might think, I've used Unreal editor, and a Doom3 map editor, and although it takes a long time, maybe 100 times longer than editing with the old editor, it's the part I like best...... yeah, better than playing. So it wouldn't be wasted on me.

Dont get me wrong... I liked the idea of the level editor although could never get it to work properly on the Mac. However I think the technical know-how to put it together plus the time it would take them may mean that we probably wont see a level editor for the forthcoming release...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast