Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What'd you think of the story in Underworld?

What'd you think of the story in Underworld?

I loved Tomb Raider: Legend. It really opened up Lara's world and was stylish and cinematic. It had it all: adventures in urban Asian cities, new allies and enemies, all that banter with Alister and Zip, and most of all the addition of a new goal for Lara -- find out what happened to her mother. Playing Legend was like being in a movie.

Underworld was alright, but in terms of story it was a real letdown. Lara's world feels like it has contracted -- no new enemies or friends, no locations that aren't an ancient tomb someplace, far less interaction with Alister and Zip. And at the end Lara's quest comes to an end in a way that (at least seems) a letdown. The ending this time doesn't naturally suggest the next game in the series, and quite frankly, the excitement I had at the end of Legend just isn't there for Underworld.

In short, Tomb Raider has lost some of the freshness and excitement that allowed Legend to revitalize the series. I know game play is the key factor to selling games, but even so I think Eidos needs to pay more attention to storytelling in the future, if it's going to avoid generating a sense of been-there, seen-that-tomb before.

i really like legend...but it mighta been cuz it was my first TR game...but i really like it...

i havnt played TR:U but i know what happens at the end...(thank you youtube....) and im not sure if

...who knows what happens...but im sad that

but i liked the story in general...i mean what were they gunna do bring her mother back and they live happily ever after...cuz im not sure if lara would keep goin for artifacts...cuz in legend in nepal she says *this is always what its been about* something like that...

but what happens now? if thats what its always been about wouldnt it be the end?

signature image

i liked it

Actually, I do think...

...that the story has a setup for one possible plot twist in future games. I've written what I think it is (full of spoilers) below:

What do you think?

I think that too, Jonesy
    Or maybe it wasn't the real Avalon, cos Allister said he'd be there. Natla was the person who said where what was, so why believe her.

The story for this game is good,but I dont like how they made Amanda.I think that in this game her face look like horse face.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonesy View Post
    ...that the story has a setup for one possible plot twist in future games. I've written what I think it is (full of spoilers) below:

What do you think?
    thats what i said
    but everyone thought i was crazy...

o well i am kinda crazy anyways

signature image

What do you think?
    God, I hope not! I hope this search for mummy & retrace daddy's steps is over! Then maybe Lara can get back to finding artifacts & not missing relatives.

TRU had a quick & simple plot that happened & tied things up within a blink of an eye, like a maga quick summarisation without depth. Lara was meant to have put the world at risk but not once did I get that impression, when I played TR TLR I got the impression Lara had put the world at risk but in TRU I never got the impression the world was in danger at all!

Quote Originally Posted by kiss-bite View Post
    God, I hope not! I hope this search for mummy & retrace daddy's steps is over!
    I agree. While I enjoyed the games alot. It's time to end the whole mommy and daddy thing. It's run its course(hopefully)

Glad to see I'm not the only one who had this idea about the storyline. I think Eidos wanted to at least give themselves the option of returning to the storyline in the future, even if we don't see this followed up in the next game.

But I disagree with those who say Lara should just get back to retrieving artifacts. That's how the games got tired in the first place. Giving Lara a bigger goal to work toward helps keep each game different from each other. Done properly, as Legend did, and you've got something really special. Underworld did feel rushed, and as a result the story wasn't that enjoyable.

yea but when she was in nepal in tr:l she said to zip "this has always what its been about"

now that the mother is gone (or so said) shes going to keep searching for artifacts? for what? just to put them in her living room and say o looky what i got!

i want tomb raider to keep going...believe me i really do...but wouldnt that mean finding something to bring her mother back or something? wasnt that what it was about to lara?

i just dont know...

signature image

Its always been about raiding tombs and digging up the past. Not finding Mom and proving Dad isn't cracked in the head. Lara has that same drive that her parents have of searching for new things and finding connections to a long dead past. And she likes to jump around like AN INSANE MONKEY.

The storyline is good. Ties up all split ends and shampoos and conditions at the same time. A nice little bundle of narrative.

Of course
    But I doubt many and much.

But I don't see how Lara put the world in danger if it was Natla that was going to destroy it. It was one of those right times right places again for Lara.

Actually the problem I saw was from a different prospective than Jonesy. I thought there was to much story driving and not enough secret locations. Side quests are ok, aren't they? They don't add to the story but they do add depth and meaning. Place the key here to earn non-essential story items and cool scenes.

And the characters were rehashed. Except for that mercanary dude that well, met a big bang.

Do we really want to start a clone wars?

I agree with italibabee. Lara's statement in Legend "this is what it's always been about" made her character more interesting and her goal a more personal one.

Take that personal mission away, and now it's just "find the ancient do-hickey of doom!" Before it's too late! That can and will get boring really fast for game players who aren't part of the hardcore fanbase.

Nothing wrong with the idea of side missions, but if it's all just finding glittery knick-knacks without anything to tie it together, then the game may as well go the Super Mario Bros. route, with gameplay based on points and 1 UPs and the like. That may be enough for some, but from the beginning Lara was always an appealing and special character, one that deserves a good story.

I wasn't really concerned about the story. I found myself in the Med, and didn't really care why I was there. Same for Thailand, and the remaining levels. For me, TR is not about story, it is not about the why; it is about the fun of getting from A to B, the challenge of figuring out how to get there, and beating the creatures in between.

Quote Originally Posted by rg_001100 View Post
    For me, TR is not about story, it is not about the why; it is about the fun of getting from A to B, the challenge of figuring out how to get there, and beating the creatures in between.
    That's probably true for most of the hardcore TR fanbase (who's probably most likely to frequent these boards). But you know, TR needs more than just the hardcore fanbase in order to keep going.

You might not notice it, but a good story can help make you care about why you're in a certain location, can make you more invested in figuring out how to get from A to B. That was certainly the case with Legend for me.

I'll give you another example -- The Force Unleashed. A game most reviewers and I think many players agreed wasn't the best in terms of gameplay, but it was saved from being absolutely savaged in reviews and by players because the story was at least kind of interesting. Had that story not been there, the playing experience would have felt much worse.

Tomb Raider is the kind of game that benefits from attention to story, unlike say, Sonic the Hedgehog.

...and then there are future-sci fi shooters with pretty poor stories that manage to do pretty well anyway. (e.g. Crysis).

Tomb Raider is the kind of game that benefits from attention to story...
    Well, other TR games have survived without great storylines, I don't see this to be the case.

...and then there are future-sci fi shooters with pretty poor stories that manage to do pretty well anyway. (e.g. Crysis).

Well, other TR games have survived without great storylines, I don't see this to be the case.
    Tomb Raider isn't a FPS though, is it (neither was TFU by the way)? But even there a good story helps -- that was one of the selling points of the original Halo.

And as for TR "surviving"...no it didn't. The franchise needed reviving with Legend, didn't it? To this day TR still fights off the accusations that it's tired, that's it's same-old same-old, a relic itself of the Nineties.

Legend managed to change that by making TR feel fresh, expansive, more cinematic. A good story helped do that. I'm not saying the storyline is the most important thing here -- I said at the top of the thread that gameplay's core -- but if I were making the next Tomb Raider game I wouldn't skimp on the story the way some gamers here are suggesting.

If you're going to spend a couple years making a game like this, might as well spend a little time making sure the story doesn't suck. Tomb Raider faced extinction before, and can easily do so again. The hardcore fanbase just isn't big enough to carry it through too many mistakes.

While I agree to an extent, theres a difference between the 90's and todays current market. Concering the TR base surviving without great storylines.

i do love just figuring out puzzles and climbing and everything and killing the mercs....but i do like a story line to make it more interesting....

if there wasnt a story id still love it of course...but the story makes it more interesting (to me at least)

signature image

My main problem with the story, is that it didnt really go anywhere. There was no major twist or revelation that took you to a turning point in the story. We meet Lara who is searching for clues to her mom's fate and finds ties to Avalon and Norse mythology. Then what? These revelations don't reveal a much bigger stake in the storyline. There's no real sense of adventure like we're in an Indiana Jones movie. Where's the twists and intrigue? Things like mystical beings and giant spiders should be a surprise to us and Lara as she explores the tombs. Instead they just appear like it's a common thing. (The same thing happened with the T-Rex in Anniversary).

Quote Originally Posted by SolidEye View Post
    Instead they just appear like it's a common thing. (The same thing happened with the T-Rex in Anniversary).
    EVERYONE knew the T-REX was coming in Anniversary though. At least 98% of the players out there did, so of course that wouldn't be suprising

Quote Originally Posted by SolidEye View Post
    Where's the twists and intrigue? Things like mystical beings and giant spiders should be a surprise to us and Lara as she explores the tombs. Instead they just appear like it's a common thing. (The same thing happened with the T-Rex in Anniversary).
    But T-Rexs are common in Peru

Anyway, most players don't exactly have that emotional grip with the character in this - or any - videogame. When I play a FPShooter, I am not concerned that I am shooting at people, it's just a virtual world and I can do anything in the world. In Tomb Raider, we play as an "archeologist" (?) who goes around raiding tombs to steal artefacts. I am not concerned that she isn't surprised about the T-Rex, or anything else. (With the T-Rex, the surprise/"oh no" should've been left on the player, and not with cutscenes). I think it could just get a bit odd if Lara were surprised by every supernatural or rare creature she encountered, it would have the same effect as her "I don't wanna be a killer" reflections in TR:L and TR:A. Lara is a lady used to wonderful, surprising things. (Also, if the "surprise" were introduced into the character, it could seem a bit odd after the other games in the series).

...no locations that aren't an ancient tomb someplace,
    Although it's nice to have perhaps one level that is not a tomb, it is tomb raider. There are plenty of games out there set in urban areas, and it's great that in Tomb Raider we get to play in these beautiful exotic locations, like Thailand in Underworld, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by MissJess View Post
    Although it's nice to have perhaps one level that is not a tomb, it is tomb raider. There are plenty of games out there set in urban areas, and it's great that in Tomb Raider we get to play in these beautiful exotic locations, like Thailand in Underworld, I think.
    I actually don't think whether it's a tomb has any impact on what people think of the "TR" experience. Look at TR2 and TR3, they have quite a few "non-Tomb" locations but are considered among the best TR games.
    It is more about the traps, puzzles and pathways within the level, rather than the textures, named location etc. that determine whether it is a "tomb".

It got kinda cheesy towards the end...plus I had broken feelings about the mom thing..and then allister..Lara deserved to be happy in my opinion, but her life just seems to be tragedy after tragedy poor woman!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast