Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Annoying Supermarket Customers!!!

Rolleyes Annoying Supermarket Customers!!!

Don your hard hats in preparation for another rant LOL!

It was really busy this Friday afternoon in Tesco, a UK supermarket. So I found the shortest queue having driven my trolley up and down the aisles like a woman with a serious mission and an expression that smacked of 'Don't mess with me your dawdling aisle hoggers', as I went racing around the corners like my trolley was fueled by Formula 1 juice

But yes, folks, it was yet another case of 'why do I always pick the wrong queue?'.

There was a woman afront me who was just soooo slow at packing - possibly because she was too busy yacking on about the rain and various other trivial chit-chat. Then it took her about 5 minutes to recall her PIN upon paying. After that she processed another load of groceries through the till, presumably for a friend. Same thing happened - another delay while she dug around in the black hole of Calcutta that was in fact her handbag to find another debit card.

Just when I thought I was in with an outside chance of getting served, she started recounting her life story to the till operative whilst simultaneously waxing lyrical about some Duracell batteries she had bought last century that were part of a BOGOF (Buy One, Get one Free offer), and she hadn't got the second set, or something....blah...yawn...sigh.

Finally she was blown off to Customer Services and within a minute flat I had packed, paid for my groceries and was at the cigarette counter. But lo and behold, who did I find in front of me again? The same woman. The Customer Service rep was dealing with a complaint and the woman I refer to was in the wrong queue (both the cigarette and lottery queue and the Customer Service section are on the same counter). So ten minutes later I had to actually approach CS for some tobacco!!!

I really ought to shop at midnight since it is a 24hr store. That way I can efficiently dodge around like a ball in a pinball machine without fear of getting nudged, trodden on, held up, run over by a trolley wheel or have my eardrums permanently perforated by the sound of horrible screaming brats

Am I the only one who finds slovenly, entranced shoppers a total annoyance? And why do elderly folk always insist on walking in the middle of the aisle at like 0.5 miles an hour?
    Everyone is entitled to my opinion.

It sounds like the store knows when you are there and they alert customers to annoy the hell out of you! I know that's what happens to me all the time You go into the store and you just need one item, but you can't pay for it because the people with 50 items are all in front of you....I always get behind the old lady who moves her arm like it's a mechanical robot that needs its parts greased or something stupid, and in the time it takes her to open her purse I could have scanned and paid for my items and been halfway home!

Then again, I can't really complain too much, as I feel like I do the same thing to people when I use those stupid SELF-CHECKOUT things, since they never work right and are SO tempermental you just want to steal your groceries. People wait behind me with sighs and grunts as I fumble with the weighing system and it yells at me because I move faster than it can process what I want to do. Technology... can't live without it, can't live with it either
    PSN: Nemesis296
    XBL/GFWL: HyperN3mesis

Quote Originally Posted by Nemesis296 View Post
    I always get behind the old lady who moves her arm like it's a mechanical robot that needs its parts greased or something stupid, and in the time it takes her to open her purse I could have scanned and paid for my items and been halfway home!
    Sounds like we need the only robot equiped for the job here Nem - ARNIE the Terminator!!

'Your trolley and your bananas....give them to me'

Incidentally, Nem,

Why IS it that women by and large have this undesirable habit of waiting until the very last possible moment before they get their purse out?

I always have my cash/credit/debit card and my shop loyalty card in my hand or back pocket before I even start unloading my items onto the conveyorbelt. It isn't rocket science..lol.

When the till operative dared to enquire as to whether or not I needed any help with my packing today (a customary and obligatory request), I almost replied 'Yes please, can you pack that woman off to another store?, PLEASE?'

Quote Originally Posted by Lo View Post
    Incidentally, Nem,

Why IS it that women by and large have this undesirable habit of waiting until the very last possible moment before they get their purse out?

I always have my cash/credit/debit card and my shop loyalty card in my hand or back pocket before I even start unloading my items onto the conveyorbelt. It isn't rocket science..lol.

When the till operative dared to enquire as to whether or not I needed any help with my packing today (a customary and obligatory request), I almost replied 'Yes please, can you pack that woman off to another store?, PLEASE?'
    Haha, I know exactly how you feel. I do the same thing! As mean as this sounds, but there should be an "old people" line, and a "young people" line, so that the people in a rush can get out of the store, and the old people can die while waiting in line

Stacks of coupons and paying by check and questioning the price of items and carrying way more than the item limit through the express...ARGH!

As mean as this sounds, but there should be an "old people" line, and a "young people" line, so that the people in a rush can get out of the store, and the old people can die while waiting in line
    That made me laugh.

I get customers like that at work at Asda all the time.
    The worst part is they tut and get huffy at the people in front of them, but don't think twice about holding up the queue. I've offered to pack for them before, but most of them decline and then proceed to put one item in the bag very slowly at a time and then go on to fiddle around with their handbags and purses etc whilst the rest of the queue is getting annoyed.

Funnily enough, I have noticed that this rarely happens with men. Most of them are the complete opposite, flinging everything in the bag every which way until bursting point and then pulling the money straight out of their pockets.

Little old ladies can be the worst though, lol. Just when you're waiting to take the money, they produce a mountain of pennies, coupons and vouchers etc which takes even more time to try to sort through.
    Whit’s fur ye’ll no go by ye.

Then again, I can't really complain too much, as I feel like I do the same thing to people when I use those stupid SELF-CHECKOUT things, since they never work right and are SO tempermental you just want to steal your groceries. People wait behind me with sighs and grunts as I fumble with the weighing system and it yells at me because I move faster than it can process what I want to do. Technology... can't live without it, can't live with it either
    "UN-EXPECTED ITEM IN THE BAGGAGE AREA..."

"PLEASE CALL FOR HELP!"

That's all I can hear all day from them. I can't work them either though and I work on a checkout all day.

They want to train me up to operate these things on Monday. That's going to be an absolute disaster, I can tell you.

My complaint is cellphone users. Especially in the checkout line. I really don't need to hear a blow by blow of a woman's visit to her gynocologist, or about the boyfriend who is "cute", or the catty remarks about the woman who is ones employer.

Turn the freaking things off. You can babble when you exit the store.

signature image

Quote Originally Posted by KoolKat View Post
    "UN-EXPECTED ITEM IN THE BAGGAGE AREA..."

"PLEASE CALL FOR HELP!"

That's all I can hear all day from them. I can't work them either though and I work on a checkout all day.

They want to train me up to operate these things on Monday. That's going to be an absolute disaster, I can tell you.
    Oh my god...please tell me that you're not going to be one of those people who "assist" other customers with the self-checkout lines when they don't work properly. I swear to god the next time 'that guy' comes up to me trying to tell me how stupid I am because I don't know how to perfectly handle the 'delicate machinery'...

The other day (2 times in fact) I was using a self-checkout line, and I was attempting to ring up some flavored water. I had 5 bottles total, so I rang the first 2 up and they went across fine...the 3rd bottle got stuck in the belt just spinning, so the machine yelled at me. This man came over to me, and just started talking to me like I just broke the most expensive piece of equipment in the store. He said to me "Ok, look...it's not that hard, here's what you do...you just type in the quantity and press OK." (pause) Then I said, "Well ok, fine, then do I put them on the belt?" He said "No! You just walk them down to the end..." After this man walked away, I proceeded to attempt this method with the remaining items in my cart (typing in the quantity to save myself the trouble)...turns out the "typing in the quantity" is a manager-only function of this checkout thing. I basically told myself that if the guy came up to me again I would give him a piece of my mind. All that aside, I calmed myself down, paid for my stuff and left. About a week later, I found myself in the store again, buying more groceries with my girlfriend. I told her about what had happened before, so we both were on edge about having to use a self-checkout again. This time, the story changes because instead of bottled water, I had to weigh vegetables. Because I don't live in the supermarket, I accidentally typed in the wrong item and attempted to weigh it. The same guy comes up to me and literally screams at me "No, no, no! You're doing it wrong! You have to put in THIS item!" I was ready to swing punches at the guy. I probably would have if my girlfriend hadn't been there. This guy really just doesn't get how to treat customers.

If you're going to be a cashier at a supermarket, I hope that you NEVER do what this guy did to me...or you'll be sorry

Oh my god...please tell me that you're not going to be one of those people who "assist" other customers with the self-checkout lines when they don't work properly. I swear to god the next time 'that guy' comes up to me trying to tell me how stupid I am because I don't know how to perfectly handle the 'delicate machinery'...

The other day (2 times in fact) I was using a self-checkout line, and I was attempting to ring up some flavored water. I had 5 bottles total, so I rang the first 2 up and they went across fine...the 3rd bottle got stuck in the belt just spinning, so the machine yelled at me. This man came over to me, and just started talking to me like I just broke the most expensive piece of equipment in the store. He said to me "Ok, look...it's not that hard, here's what you do...you just type in the quantity and press OK." (pause) Then I said, "Well ok, fine, then do I put them on the belt?" He said "No! You just walk them down to the end..." After this man walked away, I proceeded to attempt this method with the remaining items in my cart (typing in the quantity to save myself the trouble)...turns out the "typing in the quantity" is a manager-only function of this checkout thing. I basically told myself that if the guy came up to me again I would give him a piece of my mind. All that aside, I calmed myself down, paid for my stuff and left. About a week later, I found myself in the store again, buying more groceries with my girlfriend. I told her about what had happened before, so we both were on edge about having to use a self-checkout again. This time, the story changes because instead of bottled water, I had to weigh vegetables. Because I don't live in the supermarket, I accidentally typed in the wrong item and attempted to weigh it. The same guy comes up to me and literally screams at me "No, no, no! You're doing it wrong! You have to put in THIS item!" I was ready to swing punches at the guy. I probably would have if my girlfriend hadn't been there. This guy really just doesn't get how to treat customers.

If you're going to be a cashier at a supermarket, I hope that you NEVER do what this guy did to me...or you'll be sorry
    LOL, that's hilairous.

My most interesting story is the best EVAR.

There is an employee that walks like a pimp.
    Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia- Fear of long words.
    These are mah' glitches.

LMAO! I have to deal with the situation from both ends, and it amazes me how people manage to screw it up on both ends too! Trust me, chances are the employee who's "helping" you knows literally nothing more than you do about the machine. Everything you need to know is printed on the side of those things for a reason. I understand why employees get pissed off though, there have been so many time when dealing with a customer that I really just want to hit them for their stupidity, yet I'm forced to smile and pretend like the raw idiocy that they're displaying could have happened to anyone and it's not their fault. Still, that is standard procedure, the customer should never see an employee looking upset, after all, they're getting paid to put up with this crap.
    Help out with the effort for a new Legacy of Kain game! (list updated on December 6th)
    http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthr...74#post1270474

Big Grin

ROFL

Sorry, Nemesis, but I shall indeed be one of those assisting type people.

Don't worry though, having tried, cried and panicked my way through those things with my own shopping before, I certainly wouldn't treat a customer like they're stupid for having difficulties with them.

@ Raziel'sRevenge, Sadly, I also have had certain customers who act so stupidly when there is no need. I honestly don't have a problem at all with people who genuinely don't understand something, I don't think they're stupid at all
    ...but then there are those who would rather start creating a big fuss, getting all angry, who won't let us help them or listen to any advice no matter how nice we try to be about it and end up making things 10 times worse as they come up with their own strange and creative ways to try to get what they want. Those people really send my stress levels through the roof.

I once had a customer who kept putting their PIN in too early in the little card reader and when I told her she'd done it too soon and to re-enter, she accused me of trying to charge her again and pulled the card out.
    After managing to explain she wasn't going to get overcharged and the card hadn't gone through, I tried to say 'Don't worry, I'll just reset it. The machine's just a little slow. It'll just be a moment - it'll pop up a message on the screen once it's ready." she just ignored me and kept hitting her card and then just as it was ready, she pulled it out so we had to restart all over again. After three or four attempts of her hitting the card, pulling it out and putting it in, and insisting on putting the PIN in too early etc, we finally got there and she called me stupid as she left.

ROFL

Sorry, Nemesis, but I shall indeed be one of those assisting type people.

Don't worry though, having tried, cried and panicked my way through those things with my own shopping before, I certainly wouldn't treat a customer like they're stupid for having difficulties with them.

@ Raziel'sRevenge, Sadly, I also have had certain customers who act so stupidly when there is no need. I honestly don't have a problem at all with people who genuinely don't understand something, I don't think they're stupid at all
    ...but then there are those who would rather start creating a big fuss, getting all angry, who won't let us help them or listen to any advice no matter how nice we try to be about it and end up making things 10 times worse as they come up with their own strange and creative ways to try to get what they want. Those people really send my stress levels through the roof.

I once had a customer who kept putting their PIN in too early in the little card reader and when I told her she'd done it too soon and to re-enter, she accused me of trying to charge her again and pulled the card out.
    After managing to explain she wasn't going to get overcharged and the card hadn't gone through, I tried to say 'Don't worry, I'll just reset it. The machine's just a little slow. It'll just be a moment - it'll pop up a message on the screen once it's ready." she just ignored me and kept hitting her card and then just as it was ready, she pulled it out so we had to restart all over again. After three or four attempts of her hitting the card, pulling it out and putting it in, and insisting on putting the PIN in too early etc, we finally got there and she called me stupid as she left.
    I have a saying I picked up from my father: "Idiots. We're surrounded by them." I think that sums things up nicely. If I come across someone who is just confused I have no problem with it, like you said: it's the ones who think they know everything that cause trouble. There have been times when I just want to scream "I DO THIS FOR 9 HOURS A DAY 6 DAYS A WEEK! I ASSURE YOU I UNDERSTAND THE SYSTEM BETTER THAN YOU!!!"
    Help out with the effort for a new Legacy of Kain game! (list updated on December 6th)
    http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthr...74#post1270474

i work in a supermarket an dits really annoying trying to deal with these customers especially when they dont show respect. There will be offers on sale and the customers will push the employees out of the way and do anything to get it and if the item isnt there and its out of stock they will say what kind of supermarket are you? well if you have a problem then deal with the manager.Secondly we have our trolley parking inside the shop near the entrance and the annoying thing is when customers are done with their shopping they will stand there and chat with other customers or on their phones especially when you have to bring the trolleys in from outside it is so annoying. Working in the supermarket is one of the worst jobs ever.

So my advice to you guys is if you want a job then please try and avoid any supermarket jobs, it is annoying.

Kat....I am going to find your store one day and be first in the queue! You sound really helpful. I am going to keep everyone waiting so I can talk to you about your fish tank and other Facebook things we discuss haha!!

Can you imagine the chaos?

I'm always very polite to the till operatives. That has to be a stressful job

It's the slow coaches I can't tolerate (customer wise).

Asda are the best supermarket going and I believe, part of the Wallmart family. You can't beat their Rollback prices. It's a shame I live so far from a branch of Asda because the price difference is very noticeable! x

Probably the reason why the particular incident I mentioned this weekend annoyed me so much is because using those self-checkout machines is such an unusual process, it throws off the flow of the supermarket. Think about it, with a human cashier, you get all your items scanned, and they know how to handle obscure items. Self-checkouts...not so much. I always feel like I'm holding up the line when I use them, and it's strange that I find it so offensive that an employee would have to help me use the system. I guess I figure that I'm smart enough to use it, people just don't have the patience to deal with me!

Big Grin

Kat....I am going to find your store one day and be first in the queue! You sound really helpful. I am going to keep everyone waiting so I can talk to you about your fish tank and other Facebook things we discuss haha!!

Can you imagine the chaos?

I'm always very polite to the till operatives. That has to be a stressful job

It's the slow coaches I can't tolerate (customer wise).

Asda are the best supermarket going and I believe, part of the Wallmart family. You can't beat their Rollback prices. It's a shame I live so far from a branch of Asda because the price difference is very noticeable! x
    I would love to have you as a customer. I think it would brighten my shift. So many of them are so rude and moody lol. Those ones can wait while we chat.

They do seem to be really good for prices. I have to shop at the Tesco when I'm not at work because I can't drive, Phil is at work with our car and it's such a hassle getting shopping on and off the bus. I have to say I do notice the difference in cost.
    I had to laugh once because someone told me I only thought this because Tesco is my 'rival' because I work at Asda. ROFL - I don't care where I shop tbh, as long as it's cheap, but ok quality.

@CaptainMcMulla - I agree. Supermarket jobs are horrible. The minute I can get away I will be running out that door and not looking back.

@Nemesis296 - lol, I can understand your frustration though. There's nothing worse than being patronised or even shouted at because of a little difficulty in learning to use a new system. I have to say that there are many shop workers who need to learn patience.
    I guess some of them are so used to the real idiots and are so ground down by it that they start treating all the customers that way, even when the customer doesn't deserve it.

Ooh, forgot to mention. I didn't get the self-scan training afterall. It was too busy.

Big Grin

I would love to have you as a customer. I think it would brighten my shift. So many of them are so rude and moody lol. Those ones can wait while we chat.

They do seem to be really good for prices. I have to shop at the Tesco when I'm not at work because I can't drive, Phil is at work with our car and it's such a hassle getting shopping on and off the bus. I have to say I do notice the difference in cost.
    I had to laugh once because someone told me I only thought this because Tesco is my 'rival' because I work at Asda. ROFL - I don't care where I shop tbh, as long as it's cheap, but ok quality.
    Absolutely! No harm in being resourceful whilst shopping. We all have to watch the pennies and Asda offer a lot more choice than Tesco. I notice Tesco's prices creeping up all the time and they try to big themselves up and justify this by offering double loyalty points. They must think we were born yesterday LOL!

I don't know if you follow Coronation Street but have you noticed how they are blatantly advertising (almost) Tesco with their copycat "Freshco" store

Well as the saying of their's goes "Every Little Helps"....only when you boycott Tesco and visit Asda or Morrisons (Oh and I'd love to hold up the queue of rude customers so we can be real slow with the packing and have a good chin wag haha!!)

I don't know if you follow Coronation Street but have you noticed how they are blatantly advertising (almost) Tesco with their copycat "Freshco" store
    LOL, I did laugh when I first noticed that. xD
    Another thing that made me giggle was when I was on holiday in Fuengirola, Spain last year. There was a small small convenience store full of British brands, (I'm guessing to target homesick tourists and ex-pats), which was called 'Spainsbury's".

On another note, I also found this on Google:

LOL, I did laugh when I first noticed that. xD
    Another thing that made me giggle was when I was on holiday in Fuengirola, Spain last year. There was a small small convenience store full of British brands, (I'm guessing to target homesick tourists and ex-pats), which was called 'Spainsbury's".

On another note, I also found this on Google:
    OMG I feel a Terry Tibbs [Fonejacker] moment coming on

The sheer blatancy!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast