Thread: Videogame villains @ IGN

Videogame villains @ IGN

Videogame villains @ IGN

Well there is an official countdown at the Top 100 Videogame villains. Since it's quite a number there is a hope we can see some Thief-related villain in there. (Constantine, Karras, Gamall)

So far the countdown is up to number 91. No memorable villains have been announced (the snake from Qbert???) although some of them are respectable. Seifer from FFVIII or Mario from Donkey Kong.

Start your speculations, and if they are gonna show 1 Thief villain who would that be?
    Constantine ?- The first, most apocalyptic and enigmatic villain with one of the greatest cutscenes in videogame history?
    Karras ?- The villain from the most acclaimed Thief-series entry
    Gamall ?- The most recent of them all appearing 4-5 years after the rest

Keep in mind that in almost Top 100 games countowns Thief placed between 80 - 60 positions...

EDIT: Here is the link
    http://uk.ign.com/videogame-villains/

I voted Karras. He is the best.
    "Not all shadows are cast by light, some are cast by darkness."

Viktoria in TDP/Gold, or the ConVikt duo, or SHODAN--whatever it is, as long as the Terri Barous/Brosius baddies get in there.

I hate how these countdowns usually pretend that the only thing that existed in the 80s was the Nintendo NES, and the best games they say seem to be from that or the 90s and 2000s. So I'm okay with the snake from Qbert being there, just on principal... Though I could think of several other villains from the 80s I'd prefer.

They need to take into account the Commodore 64 and Amiga 500 in these countdowns. They were technically much better than the Nintendo NES and had loads of good games. Going from C64 and Amiga games to a friend's Nintendo to play Mario and Tecmo Bowl was a little unfulfilling. Felt like he had been really missing out.

I'd choose Karras. Best baddie of all time? Jon Irenicus.

I hope nobody votes for "Bowser" from Super Mario or "The ghosts" from PacMan or anything like that. I always find it extremely annoying when there are these public polls that ask "The best --- of all time" and everyone submits their opinion of "The most widely known --- from the most legendary game series", forgetting completely the true meaning of the poll. They don't analyze the originality and depth of the character, they just vote things for that warm tingly feeling that you get when you pretend to hold some stereotypically legendary game or game character in higher regard than things that are actually good.

Like for example when some people say that Wolfenstein 3d should be held in higher regard than Half-Life 2, simply because it was the first FPS game released. Because when you think about it, and forget about how the older title "revolutionalized gaming", there actually isn't 1 thing in Wolfenstein 3d as a game that's better than it's equivalent in Half-Life 2.

Yeah. They are just bosses, not villains.

You didn't understand... Some might say "Hitler was the best villain of the 20th century". No, there have been much smarter and stranger villains, Hitler is just the most popular one. And by popularity I mean most widely known. And by best I mean the thing I meant on my previous post.

Ohi sorry. I read it little fast I guess.

It would have to be a new villain because thief ending do a very good job of killing of their villains, making it hard to use them again. A suggestion is that a villain chould be a psychopath killing people and blaming Garrett. (That's very loose and needs some work).

Okay, first of all I apologise because I forgot to place a link.
    Here it is
    http://uk.ign.com/videogame-villains/

I've also put it on the top of the page for newcomers

EDIT: Okay this list is getting lame
    Seeing Blizzard's Diablo positioned at 74 (!!!)
    and Tom Nok (?????) from Anima Crossing (This game had Bosses OMG!!!) at 72 (!?!?)
    I really doubt about the credibility of this post.

Only thing that encourages me is the fact that many villains (and not only from modern games) are showing presence. So they might not forget about Thief after all!

My suspicions already arised when I read the first comment in there.

"in my opinion bowser is the 1 vilain!" -Incorrect.

It is not YOUR opinion, and it's not even the #1 villain. It's simply a fact that Bowser is the main villain of the most recognizable game series of all time, and you want to advertise that fact by pretending to refer to him as the greatest villain. The character of Bowser is unoriginal, stupid and he even looks ridiculous. There's nothing new, or shocking or anything at all that makes him a better villain than for example, Eddie from Silent Hill 2. Or any random villain from that series. Pyramid Head- now that's a great villain.

Why can't people take polls like this seriosly and actually compare the characters, not the popularities of the games they appear in?

Originally Posted by Platinumoxicity
    Why can't people take polls like this seriosly and actually compare the characters, not the popularities of the games they appear in?
    Because THAT is the society we live in
    Hello EM!
    *akward silence*

I cant tell about how good the poll is, since I haven't seen all 100 positions and haven't played ALL of the games. But so far it seems like they are doing a good job. That is remembering all the bosses and determing them not by a popularity factor.

However some bosses (yes that's Diablo) are not some bland or even "very hard" ones. Diablo actually defines the meaing BOSS in a game. It also had great personality in Diablo 2 and all that stuff.

Yes, I know i't's MY opinion but would someone position Shodan below 60th spot for example? Despite the reviewer's opinion, NO! That's because some enemies have proven themselves amongst the gaming community and the amount of story and mystery that surrounds them.

Diablo isn't that hard. Just watch out for his bad breath.

http://uk.ign.com/videogame-villains/47.html
    That would be nice. And not only compare the characters, but compare from a relative in time standpoint. An obscure 8-bit pixelated character from 1986 with bleeps and bloops may have been menacing at the time, but when compared now side-by-side to a hi-res mutilated mutant from Dead Space with symphonic scores as a tension build-up backdrop, it stands no chance... even though the 8-bit creature may have instilled the same level of fear at the time. My gaming theory of relativity.

If it wasn't a popularity contest, myself and others might actually learn something new. Might learn about a game or character we've never seen or heard of before. Might inspire folks to go out and try or research a game they might not have otherwise ever looked at.

EDIT: Although, it's pretty cool that Shodan from System Shock made the list. #47. Oops, and I guess I can't complain too much about the "relativity" thing... since Grue from Zork (a very old text-based adventure) is #46.
    http://uk.ign.com/videogame-villains/47.html
    The one thing you don't want to hear when you're running through a sci-fi horrorscape is a distorted female voice that refers to you as an insect. What was so great about SHODAN was her ability to intimidate and disturb you with her twisted rationalizations. She made you feel small, powerless, and insignificant while making herself seem untouchable and beyond injury. She's built upon a well-known sci-fi horror concept, most obviously embodied by the terrifying adherence to mission objectives of 2001: A Space Odyssey's HAL-9000 supercomputer. When man creates an artificial intelligence meant to facilitate day to day operations and tackle otherwise impossible or simply unpalatable tasks, how is anyone supposed to know when the complexity of the systems exceeds the boundaries of predictability? If an unpredictable program were to emerge, would it be docile? Friendly? Violent? SHODAN was most definitely the latter, and also made one of the most memorable surprise entrances in videogame history in System Shock 2. Her villainy and voice won't ever be forgotten by anyone who checked out the System Shock games, and no doubt influenced other videogame villains, such as Valve's GLaDOS from Portal.

Great.... the voting has ended and we have snake from Qbert and Tom Nok (???) from Animal Crossing as greatest bosses and none from our Thief-related universe..

Pffff...

I think GlaDOS deserves a spot. Maybe not #1 like she is on the list. Psycho Mantis deserves #8 because he is unique and weird. Bowser is one of th worst villains in history and he is #2. Very bad indeed. And Darth Vader is not a videogame villain jeez...

And where the taff is Silent Hill, the town? That creepy village is one of the best if not the best villain in videogame history. I can't believe they missed that. But the list sucks anyway and it looks like all the nominees were selected by 1 guy from his personal collection.

it's alot of fan service to me.
    signature image
    signature image

meh . . . just read through that list . . .

Some good choices, a lot were just bad. I'm sorry, but I don't tend to consider a game "boss" as a villian - even more-so when they don't influence the storyline any more than a simple "boss fight."

It's pretty sad, too, IMHO, that neither Constantine, Karras, nor Viktoria made the list. At least one were more than deserving . . .