Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 58

Thread: Please Read -Screenshot Competition Comments

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    7,468

    Question Please Read -Screenshot Competition Comments

    Just to make it easier for people to vote and to attract more interest I feel I ought to throw open the suggestion that we have a seperate thread for comments regarding the Screenshot Competition, much like they have with Member Pics.

    This would really help all of us to view all the entries in the one page rather than have to skim through all the comments. Also on dial-up it takes forever as it is for my page to load without having to go into a secondary page thereafter. It is so time-consuming that it's hard to keep track of the entries viewed so far so I have to jot them down in detail on a memo.

    Another also...people looking in for the first time could be forgiven for wondering where exactly the screenshots are amidst the text-only posts.

    I can add this change to the rules for the next round by requesting that the winner adds a line (I'll write it out don't worry), as long as everyone is happy about it. It need only be one ongoing thread regarding the comments and not a seperate thread for each round. I honestly think this is a very sensible and effective solution to keep the screenshots isolated and tidy.

    Any hands raised out there in a show of support?
    Everyone is entitled to my opinion.

  2. #2
    Mine! A great idea, as usual, Lo. That really would spare a lot of people the trouble of finding all the screenshots. I too find it rather time-consuming to skim through all the comments to find the pictures, and sometimes when the picture is small I tend to miss it entirely.

    Is it okay, though, for entrants to have their own comments with the pictures they submit, in that same post? Not a question, just a remark, like: "Here is mine," or "Tricky shot, but I got it!".
    signature image
    I am Set, god of chaos and the desert. I add to the balance of the world. Without chaos and destruction, there is no peace and harmony.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    7,468
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Koopa View Post
    Mine! A great idea, as usual, Lo. That really would spare a lot of people the trouble of finding all the screenshots. I too find it rather time-consuming to skim through all the comments to find the pictures, and sometimes when the picture is small I tend to miss it entirely.

    Is it okay, though, for entrants to have their own comments with the pictures they submit, in that same post? Not a question, just a remark, like: "Here is mine," or "Tricky shot, but I got it!".
    Oh absolutely! People can write a novel in their actual screenshot post if they wish

    Thank you Seth ever so for the support - it just kinda makes sense and I am glad I am not the only one who finds it time-consuming. I am always worried about missing one when I scroll down BECAUSE of the dial-up. Dial-up works in mysterious ways and can slow up on one image download and speed up on another whilst not progressing at all on a third. I therefore load up another window/tab whilst waiting to ensure I have them all. That's another good reason for titling one's shot because them dial-up users are aware there IS actually a shot to follow

    There is bound to be the odd comment slipping through. If this happens I'll just remind them right there on the thread politely and soon everyone will get the hang of it and out of the habit. I am often posting comments on the screenshot thread because currently there is nowhere else to add a comment and I hate to look disinterested or indifferent to someone's masterpiece so that's why I think a seperate thread would be beneficial all round

  4. #4
    *Raises hand*

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    7,468
    Nice one Goar. Thanks bud

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    2,531

    Wink

    I agree, it'll be better to have STRICTLY only entries in one thread and comments in another.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    2,239
    Good idea Lo, but my only concern is that without comments and questions bumping up the screenshot thread, would'nt it just slowely be swallowed up by the forum?

    And if there's no new posts people won't be drawed to the thread and we'll have less entries.
    "I'm up for a little heresy"

  8. #8
    Hm, good point, Atheist.

    We can ask one of our good moderators to make these threads a regular "Sticky" featurette.
    signature image
    I am Set, god of chaos and the desert. I add to the balance of the world. Without chaos and destruction, there is no peace and harmony.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    7,468

    Arrow

    Quote Originally Posted by Atheist View Post
    Good idea Lo, but my only concern is that without comments and questions bumping up the screenshot thread, would'nt it just slowely be swallowed up by the forum?

    And if there's no new posts people won't be drawed to the thread and we'll have less entries.
    A very good point Atheist and one which I had considered.

    However, there are always solutions to problems. We could always add the link again to our signatures (And that means me now remembering to include my sig lol). Also, we could simply just keep the Screenshot comment thread active and if that is buzzing it will attract interest.

    I figure that regular entrants will actively seek the new threads - they won't need to be reminded. Others will follow on the strength of the comment thread alone being that I will continue to edit the OP with the direct link to the current round thread

    Sound feasible?

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    2,239
    Yep, that sounds good!

    I'll add a link to my sig now.
    "I'm up for a little heresy"

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    7,468
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Koopa View Post
    Hm, good point, Atheist.

    We can ask one of our good moderators to make these threads a regular "Sticky" featurette.
    I have since learnt and also realised myself that stickys are often overlooked Seth. In truth, to keep it active we need to make it a normal thread that is active. There won't be any need to post spam to bump it up because upon each new round, participants will 'locate and ressurect'

  12. #12
    A good idea indeed, however this fun competition was your idea and you may do with it as you wish, Lo. Even if it means burning it at the stake...

    :V

    So yes, a mod's support would indeed be helpful. Each contest will basically consist of two stickies for the entry period: one for screenshots and the other for comments. This will keep the screenshot entries clear and organized. Once the entry period ends, the two threads will be locked and unstickied and will fall into obscurity as voting commences. The vote thread also should have links to each screenshot.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Nov 1999
    Posts
    5,865

    Lightbulb

    Quote Originally Posted by Lo. View Post


    This would really help all of us to view all the entries in the one page rather than have to skim through all the comments. Also on dial-up it takes forever as it is for my page to load without having to go into a secondary page thereafter.


    I thought the way Shrensh did it the last time was quite okay. I imagine voting thread is the one where you need to have good overview of all images, and they are all neatly linked there in the first post. Perhaps embedding them directly with IMG tags would have been better. If there are more than 8 participants, you can continue that in second post. By the way, this is just my personal opinion.

    I see no problem in temporarily stickying those threads, but as Lo quite correctly pointed out, stickied threads don't necessarily attract more attention (as surprising as it may be).

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    7,468

    Smile

    Quote Originally Posted by Xcom View Post


    I thought the way Shrensh did it the last time was quite okay. I imagine voting thread is the one where you need to have good overview of all images, and they are all neatly linked there in the first post. Perhaps embedding them directly with IMG tags would have been better. If there are more than 8 participants, you can continue that in second post. By the way, this is just my personal opinion.

    I see no problem in temporarily stickying those threads, but as Lo quite correctly pointed out, stickied threads don't necessarily attract more attention (as surprising as it may be).

    Hi Xcom,

    Thanks for your input - much appreciated. I too thought Shrensh did a fine job on hot-linking the images but she still had to sift through the car crash to get to those images and lest we forget, it means that voters have to keep clicking on each one in turn to view.

    Thus my suggestion of having the entries all in one thread so folk can see them all in one foul swoop as opposed to to-ing and fro-ing from one to the other We currently have a minimum of entrants so the screenshots will all fit on the one page.

    This isn't just to suit me (the neanderthal dial-up user ), more to exercise a bit of efficiency me thinks.

    If possible, I really don't want any stickies aside from the one that Cat put up regarding the scoreboard, presumably at Atheist's request or Cat's discretion. I once asked Cat if she would consider making a round a sticky and she remarked that she would (in PM), but that it might be overlooked. Sure enough a few folk missed it initially.

    Hot-linking is all well and good but effectively it doesn't really enable folk to view all the entries in one go and I feel this is essential to save time and make comparison's easier

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Nov 1999
    Posts
    5,865

    Cool

    Good morning, Lo.

    Quote Originally Posted by Lo. View Post
    Hot-linking is all well and good but effectively it doesn't really enable folk to view all the entries in one go and I feel this is essential to save time and make comparison's easier
    Just to clarify minor technicality here:

    This is linked image: Click me to see the image

    This is hot-linked image (visible directly):

    Shrensh didn't hot-link the images, just linked them. That's what I was trying to point out. Had they actually been hot-linked, then you could've seen all images in one (or two) post(s).

    But I agree that a person who is responsible for the current round will be forced to go on a link-hunting expedition through all posts . Personally, I think it's a sacrifice a winner should be able to accept. However, I don't insist on anything; whatever you all decide is fine by me.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    7,468
    Good morning Oh chocolate fiend that is Xcom

    I saw an image of new Thread but nothing in it. Is that how it is meant?

    I always use the term 'hot-link' but I guess it is technically mis-applied?

    Anyhow, I'll let the participants decide. We aren't going to be starting a new round until a week tomorrow so plenty of time for conscientious objectors - I too want to go with the general concensus

    I'd also be happy for Eidos staff to enter I feel sure that no buttering-up would take place among the young and impressionable It would be rather good to see some staff join in the fun.

    I have drummed it into folk before not to vote for an entry because the entrant voted for them and so forth but to judge purely on individual merit and to that end I have always found the voting very fair and reflective of the talent displayed.

    Atheist worries unnecessarily (don't you sweetpea ), about screenshots from recent games taking precedence over more technical shots from older games but I don't find this to be the case at all. I won a round with a screenshot from TR2's The Dragon's Lair - presumably not for aesthetics but because it was a finely-timed shot which involved a jump in the air whilst the dragon was not exhaling flames then of course quickly pressing Shift and Print Screen.

    I always take technical ability into account. Some screens are simply beautiful but by and large, there has to be a degree of skill in there to get my vote

    So, will you consider entering Xcom?


    Edit: I now understand what you mean by hotlinks - I re-read your post a little more carefully doh! Thanks for the clarification!

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Nov 1999
    Posts
    5,865

    Cool

    Quote Originally Posted by Lo. View Post

    So, will you consider entering Xcom?
    I might, who knows. It's just that I don't have any Tomb Raiders installed other than Anniversary, so that kind of limits my options.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    7,468
    Quote Originally Posted by Xcom View Post
    I might, who knows. It's just that I don't have any Tomb Raiders installed other than Anniversary, so that kind of limits my options.
    Have you got the other games but just not installed? If Anniversary is all you have then there are limitless options! Don't forget that for each round we run two themes for this very reason

    So get ya [Tomb Raider] tackle out, see what bites, aye

  19. #19
    So, when I make the voting thread tomorrow would people prefer that I make text links to the entries, or to embed them? I didn't embed them last time because I linked back to the original Round IV thread, but I can definitely see your point about how it would be easier just to hotlink them in the voting thread.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Nov 1999
    Posts
    5,865

    Cool

    Quote Originally Posted by Lo. View Post
    Have you got the other games but just not installed?
    Let me think. I am reasonably sure I have more Tomb Raider games... somewhere. I am also reasonably sure I'll have to disturb a lot of spiders in order to find and get them. I'm so totally sure I won't do that just so I can snap a few screenshots. So Anniversary it is for me.

  21. #21

    Thumbs Up

    Great idea Lo about the seperate thread! Would you like me to put a link to the competition and/or voting thread on my signature like Atheist?
    'I Make My Own Luck..'
    - Lara Croft

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    2,239
    Quote Originally Posted by Xcom View Post


    I thought the way Shrensh did it the last time was quite okay.

    Actually, the idea to list links to the entries was my idea first, and Shrensh stole it from me

    @ Shrensh

    So was the idea to have roman numerals instead of numbers,
    have the text 'Founder: Lo, Current Round Host: Whoever' on 1st post
    and put the exact start and finishing dates on the first post.
    "I'm up for a little heresy"

  23. #23
    LOL, yeah, I just copied the format from the previous round when I posted the voting thread, and same when I posted this round. Very good ideas you had there, Atheist

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    2,239
    I know. I'm amazing.

    "I'm up for a little heresy"

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    7,468
    Quote Originally Posted by Xcom View Post
    Let me think. I am reasonably sure I have more Tomb Raider games... somewhere. I am also reasonably sure I'll have to disturb a lot of spiders in order to find and get them. I'm so totally sure I won't do that just so I can snap a few screenshots. So Anniversary it is for me.
    Absolutely A-OK with me Xcom. Get to it buddy as we only have today left to get those screens in before Shrensh gets out her voting yard stick

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •