Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread: Terrorist Activity

Terrorist Activity

Cool Terrorist Activity

There needs to be much more terrorist activity in DX3. Not just blowing off the head of the statue of liberty. There needs to be obvious, noticeable ongoing terrorist activity all throughout the game, like real world.

Depends, man 100% of the terrorist activity isn't noticeable most of it is noticed through the medias, rather than the reality.
    The military patrolling in malls, stations, streets is a noticeable presence that can mean terrorism
    Also not all countries are the victims of terrorism, so the best you can have in that cases is TV programs that talks about terrorism.

I think the medias like TV / Radio was things that lacked in the first game.
    The best we can have for this is NPC's opinions to have that feeling and news papers witch was great, but i think they can make more in those areas.

But that would be great if when you turn on a TV you'll have a certain view over the world's status.
    If you want to make enemies; just dumb something down
    The manderley song => http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_WnBeglPl7s

TV news would be a great addition to this game,hopefully the flat screen in Adam's apartment isn't there just for show.

Another good addition would be going to a military base where you see Al-qaeda being trained by CIA agents, that would be pretty cool, no?

(click image to enlarge)

Cool Stinger Missles

Originally Posted by JCpie
    Another good addition would be going to a military base where you see Al-qaeda being trained by CIA agents, that would be pretty cool, no?
    Also, show how we (the US) provided Stinger Missles to CIA trained Al-Qaeda in Pakistan; so that, they (the US trained and supported Pakistanis) could defeat the Russian invasion in the late 80's / early 90's.

Yes, because I'm sure in 20 years (give or take) we'll still be involved in the same wars as we are now! Just like we were in the Gulf War 20 years ago! Ah wait...crap.

Gone, don't insult other members.

Originally Posted by KSingh77
    TV news would be a great addition to this game,hopefully the flat screen in Adam's apartment isn't there just for show.
    What ? The TV in the Adam's apartment is really interactive ?

Originally Posted by Blade_hunter
    I think the medias like TV / Radio was things that lacked in the first game.
    The best we can have for this is NPC's opinions to have that feeling and news papers witch was great, but i think they can make more in those areas.

But that would be great if when you turn on a TV you'll have a certain view over the world's status.
    That really bugged me in the first game. In UNATCO there's the TV in the kitchen/sittingroom area and all you can hear from the news report on it is "Mnahmnahmnahmnah". That seemed like a real missed opportunity.
    So, ten seconds wait, and then thirty seconds for health regeneration... colour me surprised. Moderately happily surprised.

Yeah, that bugged me too, and I even tried to find if there is a button at least to switch it on or off ...

Originally Posted by Daedalus.

There needs to be much more terrorist activity in DX3. Not just blowing off the head of the statue of liberty. There needs to be obvious, noticeable ongoing terrorist activity all throughout the game, like real world.

Yeah because that's what terrorists do. Obvious, noticeable ongoing activity.

The idea of terrorism is that it's not obvious, noticeable ongoing activity. That's open warfare.
    Apparently there are people who think the best way to make
    a prequel is to contradict the thing to which it is a prequel.

Not just blowing off the head of the statue of liberty. There needs to be obvious, noticeable ongoing terrorist activity all throughout the game, like real world.
    I agree, blowing the Statue of Liberty's head off is neither obvious nor noticeable a terrorist target.

The liberty statue was an example of terrorism act, but the terrorism presence was made by the sole presence of the NSF in the streets.
    Hell's kitchen and Castle Clinton were great examples of terrorism activity in Deus Ex.

We had hostage crisis, some fightings where we could participate or not, bases that we have to infiltrate, prisoned people.

The beginning was about a terrorism chase, and after we tried to defeat the conspirators who engendered that world wide disorder ...

Originally Posted by Sabretooth
    I agree, blowing the Statue of Liberty's head off is neither obvious nor noticeable a terrorist target.
    I can see it now. Bunch of tourists standing on Liberty Island watching the statue when all of a sudden

BOOOOOMMMMM!

Tourist 1: Did you hear something? I swear I heard something.
    Tourist 2: Must have been the wind. Don't get so excited.
    Tourist 3: Liberty looks different than on TV. Like she lost weight.
    Tourist 2: They say TV adds a few pounds.
    Employee: We're renovating the statue. Construction on the head was shoddy so we've blown it off. That's why she looks different.
    Tourist 3: Now that you mention it, I do see a distinct lack of head.
    Rule 30: A little trust goes a long way. The less you use, the further you'll go.

Originally Posted by gamer0004

The idea of terrorism is that it's not obvious, noticeable ongoing activity. That's open warfare.
    Originally Posted by Sabretooth
    Isn't it ironic that mine and Sabretooth's answers are sort mutually exclusive?

In my opinion the NSF were rebels rather than terrorists, though it depends on how you define "terrorism".

Perhaps a rebel tries to make changes from the inside, and a terrorist tries to make changes from the ouside, as well as trying to inflict terror on the populace.
    お前は俺を知らない、俺を知ることができない。

Hey idiot,take your political conspiracys and tin foil anti government rays of death crap somewhere else.
    Telling someone to take their conspiracies somewhere else.... On a Deus Ex forum!?

(click image to enlarge)

Hey idiot,take your political conspiracys and tin foil anti government rays of death crap somewhere else.
    Plot twists like that were a key ingredient of Deus Ex and the staple of Invisible War.

We could just let this pointless thread die.

Originally Posted by minus0ne
    We could just let this pointless thread die.
    I like it, let's just ignore the one fellow and let the logical people continue to discuss it.
    "Square Root of 912.04 is 30.2... It all seemed so harmless..."

Originally Posted by Romeo
    I like it, let's just ignore the one fellow and let the logical people continue to discuss it.
    Romeo, Romeo! I have nothing constructive to say.

(click image to enlarge)

Originally Posted by gamer0004

No, the most basic idea of terrorism, apart from fighting a much larger and better funded enemy is to *appear* as though you're bigger, deadlier, and more organized than you really are. You're trying to send a message as loudly and clearly as you possibly can.

Originally Posted by Sncho
    No, the the most basic idea of terrorism, apart from fighting a much larger and better funded enemy is to *appear* as though you're bigger, deadlier, and more organized than you really are. You're trying to send a message as loudly and clearly as you possibly can.
    Depends on how you define terrorism...

Wikipedia says:
    "Terrorism is, in the most general sense, the systematic use of terror especially as a means of coercion. At present, the International community has been unable to formulate a universally agreed, legally binding, criminal law definition of terrorism. Common definitions of terrorism refer only to those violent acts which are intended to create fear (terror), are perpetrated for an ideological goal, and deliberately target or disregard the safety of non-combatants (civilians)."

So apparently it's rather unclear what terrorism exactly is.
    Basically it's about coercion by "use of terror"; and coercion "is the practice of forcing another party to behave in an involuntary manner (whether through action or inaction) by use of threats, intimidation, trickery, or some other form of pressure or force."
    The NSF didn't just try to force the government to supply the vaccine to the whole population, they were trying to overthrow the government (because of the power abuse by people like Page and Simons, and because the government proved to be unable to solve problems like the grey death).

There's nothing unclear about it, you've just defined its primary goal. It's like printing a news column. If nobody reads about it, you might as well not have written it in the first place. Just think of the name itself; TERROR-ism. The goal to create terror.

The trouble with the *legal* definition of terrorism is that it doesn't hold true for every perspective. One man's freedom fighter another man's terrorist guerilla.

Maybe someone could correct me on this but wasn't there an indication that the NSF hadn't done the deed and the government was the perpetrator? So if they showed terrorists blowing it up, wouldn't they be killing that conspiracy aspect in Deus Ex 1?
    So, ten seconds wait, and then thirty seconds for health regeneration... colour me surprised. Moderately happily surprised.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last