Thread: Anyone here a coroner/mortician?

Anyone here a coroner/mortician?

I'm currently 17 and looking at colleges, but as I'm sure many of you know, there's a whole hell of a lot of them to choose from! I plan on becoming a coroner, so what's a good college for mortuary sciences? Also, I want to minor in psychology, so any suggestions there as well?

Thanks guys (and of course the gals as well )
    Help out with the effort for a new Legacy of Kain game! (list updated on December 6th)
    http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthr...74#post1270474

Cool

Oh! Somehow I don't think there are lot of people here who will be able to give you advise about college selection specifically in that area of expertise.

But I'm really curious: how did you decide you wanted to become a coroner?

Since your from NY, have you looked into any SUNY or CUNY schools? Maybe NYU has something your interested in. John Jay has some good Psy programs.

@ Xcom: I realize that a gaming website might not be the best place to get college info. but I'm asking everyone I know, and besides, you guys haven't failed me before. Also, I want to be a coroner because frankly, I'm not at all disturbed by the site of blood, the insides of people, or dead bodies, nor am I disturbed by touching all of the above. There doesn't seem to be a great amount of people with that "talent" and the pay is great, so why not?

@ officerpuppy: I've considered going to Cornell, they're supposed to have one of the better biology departments in the Northeast, but I'd also like to leave NY if it's possible. I'm thinking of heading for Canada actually.
    Help out with the effort for a new Legacy of Kain game! (list updated on December 6th)

My Great-Grandfather was a Mortician.

There's the San Francisco College of Mortuary Sciences here in San Francisco. It's a small college, only about 50 students. I don't know if you'd classify it as a "real" college, though. But all they teach you is how to deal with the bodies of those how have passed away.

@ maniac44: I'll have to look them up, thanks.

Don't really know much about helping you huni , but one thing I do know ... you'll never be out of work, good choice and GOOD LUCK

Lightbulb

Wayne State University in Detroit has a decent mortuary science program as well. The downside, last time I checked (in about 2000), the list to get in was seven years long.
    "I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one;
    'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it."
    ~ Voltaire

Yikes, that's a little bit out of my range I think. I don't exactly have that kind of time to wait, and I'm willing to bet I don't have nearly enough cash, but thanks for telling, I'll have to check them out. May I ask why you were looking at the mortuary science program in detroit? I thought that vampires only drink from the living

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Raziel'sRevenge
    Yikes, that's a little bit out of my range I think. I don't exactly have that kind of time to wait, and I'm willing to bet I don't have nearly enough cash, but thanks for telling, I'll have to check them out. May I ask why you were looking at the mortuary science program in detroit? I thought that vampires only drink from the living
    I forgot to mention that was for women. I've known a few men who tried to enter who were told it could be as long as ten years. 'Tis true, we vampires only drink from the living; it's tinkering with the dead that proves more fascinating.

The location was of interest as it's close to "home".

Ahhh, well unfortunately I'm part of the Y chromosome population, so I doubt I'll be getting in. Also, if anyone ever wants a good laugh be sure to talk with the local coroner. My friend's parents are coroners, and they've been known to "tinker" as well. She once walked in on them each holding a body up by the head and having a conversation while moving the mouths in unison. Okay, so it doesn't seem so funny now but at the time it was hilarious.

Exclamation

Xcom said: Oh! Somehow I don't think there are lot of people here who will be able to give you advise about college selection specifically in that area of expertise.
    Who says coroners can't be gamers?

Mortuary science is EXCELLENT, and you make a ton of money if you become a funeral director. Fantastic career choice. I've considered it, myself.
    If you're going to become a coroner, I'd suggest taking a great deal of law/political science classes since you'd be working in conjunction with law enforcement so you might want some supplementry learnin' there, as well as abnormal psych since you want that to be your minor. And of course load your schedule with plenty of anatomy and cellular biology/chemistry classes. You have quite a bit of schooling ahead of you.

Since you're in NY (and officerpuppy wisely mentioned CUNY/SUNY schools which are quite decent), if you decide to stick around the area I suggest CUNY John Jay; my sister is going there to study forensic pathology and all that good stuff once she finishes here at KCC. I don't know much about other CUNY/SUNY schools, but CSI has some pretty good programs. LaGuardia CC has a mortuary science program. Brooklyn College is also phenomenal. Maybe try SUNY Downstate Medical. Look around.
    If you want to go to NYU, well, that happens to be a private university, where you'll be paying in the neighborhood of $1,000 per class. So since I'm betting you have exemplary grades, look for scholarship programs.

EDIT - and look what Roxy found! An entire nationwide database of Funeral Services and Mortuary Science Colleges! http://www.uscollegesearch.org/funer...-colleges.html

Good luck, kiddo.

Wow! Thanks, I've got to be sure to check all of that out. And yeah, while the grades are good the cash flow could be better, so I'm thinking NYU might be out of my range unless they can give me a serious scholarship. This is going to be almost entirely out of my own pocket.

But that list will be great! I had another one that the guidance counselor at my school gave me but it's not very good. I also am planning on asking the people who I intern for.