Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 38

Thread: TR movies and videogames

  1. #1

    TR movies and videogames

    I know there was a similar thread into this section, but I opened this one to talk about something that makes me wonder whether Tomb Raider movies should be considered into the original storyline or not.

    Crystal has included some elements of the first movie into the videogame:

    - The same manor appeared into the movies
    - Same father's name (Richard Croft)
    - Same mother's face and hairstile (lol!)
    - Lara's reading her father's diary (into the movie Lara says to her father that she read his diary and saw no mentioning about "Illuminati", and in "Anniversary" Lara reads her father's lost diary found by Winston Smith)

    In the movie Manfred Powell says to Lara he killed her father, but in TR: Underworld we find out that

    Now, my questions are these:

    Was Manfred Powell lying?...

    [Directly from the movie]

    Lara Croft:
    Howewer, Powell is not an ignorant.
    Bryce: Ah, no?
    Lara Croft: No. He's a liar.

    ... or movies's storylines are not considered into the videogame? Has our Lara ever met Manfred Powell?

    You even have to know this:

    Hillary and Bryce are the result of Simon West's ignorance, because he believed that Lara had no butler and no technical support. Jan de Bont wanted to introduce Winston into the second movie, but he couldn't because there were those 2 idiots.

    What do you think?

    I would like Eidos Interactive to know that I would be sorry if movies storylines are not considered into the videogame, because we would have 2 different Laras.

  2. #2
    Although some things from the movies were included in the games, I don't think the story in the movies is really connected to the story in the games.

    For an example, the Resident Evil games, compared to the movies.
    Out of all the Tomb Raider games, The Last Revelation still seems the best.

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Dremoran View Post
    Although some things from the movies were included in the games, I don't think the story in the movies is really connected to the story in the games.

    For an example, the Resident Evil games, compared to the movies.

    Oh, please, don't compare other videogames movies to Tomb Raider ones.

    Resident Evil movies are blasphemy. Capcom needed to develop a 3D movie (Resident Evil: Degeneration) to make a coerent movie.

    Just because they are "flesh movie" they don't need to change the original story.

    Tomb Raider movies are the only that can barely be connected to the original plot.

  4. #4
    The Tomb Raider movies have nothing to do with the actual game. None of the artifacts in the movie have never been mentioned in the games, nor has she ever met Powell in the games.

    They are a totally different storyline from video game TR. Now, I will say, CD took some of those elements and put them into Legend-Underworld, since the movies came out before Legend, but the movies are otherwise unrelated, basically.

    I hate Hilary and Bryce, even though Zip and Allister (whom I don't hate...kinda) are carbon copies of the two.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Danio View Post
    Oh, please, don't compare other videogames movies to Tomb Raider ones.

    Resident Evil movies are blasphemy. Capcom needed to develop a 3D movie (Resident Evil: Degeneration) to make a coerent movie.

    Just because they are "flesh movie" they don't need to change the original story.

    Tomb Raider movies are the only that can barely be connected to the original plot.
    Fair enough, I wasn't comparing other movies to the Tomb Raider ones, all I meant was that movies related to video games usually, while keeping some of the characters, don't keep the plot of the games.
    Out of all the Tomb Raider games, The Last Revelation still seems the best.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Dremoran View Post
    Fair enough, I wasn't comparing other movies to the Tomb Raider ones, all I meant was that movies related to video games usually, while keeping some of the characters, don't keep the plot of the games.
    Yes, I have to admit you're right! It happens, but this doesn't mean they make the right choice

    @LC is me: Zip isn't a copy of Bryce, because he was present into the videogame since Tomb Raider Chronicles, and:
    The Tomb Raider movies have nothing to do with the actual game. None of the artifacts in the movie have never been mentioned in the games, nor has she ever met Powell in the games.
    Your "speech" isn't right, because you can't mention old enemies in Every Tomb Raider.
    TR: Anniversary and TR: Underworld are an exception.

    Have Lara ever had mentioned Marco Bartoli in every new TR Episode? And Willard? And Sophia Leigh? And Werner Von Croy?
    It's so clear that Lara can't talk about her old foes everytime, so your "excuse" cannot be accepted

    I would like to ask to Eidos the question of this topic. I hope that Eidos doesn't cancel the movies's plot, or many other fans won't see the third TR movie, because they would see a fake Lara Croft life plot.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Danio View Post
    Yes, I have to admit you're right! It happens, but this doesn't mean they make the right choice

    @LC is me: Zip isn't a copy of Bryce, because he was present into the videogame since Tomb Raider Chronicles, and:


    Your "speech" isn't right, because you can't mention old enemies in Every Tomb Raider.
    TR: Anniversary and TR: Underworld are an exception.

    Have Lara ever had mentioned Marco Bartoli in every new TR Episode? And Willard? And Sophia Leigh? And Werner Von Croy?
    It's so clear that Lara can't talk about her old foes everytime, so your "excuse" cannot be accepted

    I would like to ask to Eidos the question of this topic. I hope that Eidos doesn't cancel the movies's plot, or many other fans won't see the third TR movie, because they would see a fake Lara Croft life plot.
    What are you talking about? You aren't making any sense.

    If you are going to base a movie off a game, don't you think it is important to have the correct information, which includes what artifacts she has collected and the adventures she has gone on?

    All those characters have been seen at least once, and Werner has been seen and mentioned MORE than once. When did I say she had to mention them in EVERY TR GAME? When has Powell EVER been hinted at or spoken of?

    I said the MOVIE needs to be about one of her adventures. None of those artifacts have been mentioned in the game, nor had CD or Core mention them in her biography or her history in tomb raiding. It's not an excuse, nor do I need your acceptance of my explanation for it to be valid. Yes Zip may have popped up in Chronicles, but that does not mean that CD didn't take some of the idea's of Bryce and apply them to Zip in post-Core TR. It is well known now the
    killed her father. Powell couldn't have done so because they never met and he has never been in the game nor in any of the history of Lara's past. That is fact.

    Make note that Chronicles and AOD are of that "no mentioning old enemies/allies from old games" list exception.

    I stand by my opinion and still say that they had nothing to do with her actual adventures.
    Kay, thanks.

  8. #8
    This is a community so, obliously, you have to think anything you want without problems

    The problem is that I'm a stranger, so it's not so easy to me saying what I would like to explain to you.

    It's normal that Lara didn't mention Manfred Powell, because that story is a closed chapter.

    It's ok, you may be right, but I still hope. I know, perhaps you're thinking I'm kinda stupid, but I have a point of view too, even because I can't stand the fact of seeing a fake story.

    I'm sure that many Tomb Raider fans won't see the third movie because they would see a fake story, a sort of vulgar Fanfiction.

    I don't demand to see the elements of the videogame into the third movie; a totally new COERENT story is ok to me.

    Post Scriptum: New Lara's bio is coerent to the movie, even if it doesn't talk about Powell, and it even says that her mother died during a plan accident, which is false.
    The biography made me think that father really died in 1985, because I think I read that her father disappeared when Lara was 17 (guess I could be wrong).

    The fact that Winston is absent into the movies doesn't mean that he doesn't exist in the films because, as I told you, Hillary and Bryce are created by Simon West's mistake, ignorance and stupidity. Maybe in that period he was relaxing in connussie (his place of birth), at his little home.

    I know, I'm crazy, but I explained that I really can't stand the idea of seeing a fake story onto a screen.

  9. #9
    I'm a bit confused here.
    if anything the movies should be based more off the game, not the other way around.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by my avalon View Post
    I'm a bit confused here.
    if anything the movies should be based more off the game, not the other way around.
    I totally agree, that's why I would like the third movie to be coerent to the videogames without confusing people who don't play Tomb Raider.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    1,949
    The 3rd movie sould be CGI created and feature the actual Lara, with Keeley voicing her, with a story that CD approve of. There you go perfect TR movie...and how the first one should have been.
    It's been a long time since a came around, been a long time but I'm back in town.

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Danio View Post
    This is a community so, obliously, you have to think anything you want without problems

    The problem is that I'm a stranger, so it's not so easy to me saying what I would like to explain to you.

    It's normal that Lara didn't mention Manfred Powell, because that story is a closed chapter.

    It's ok, you may be right, but I still hope. I know, perhaps you're thinking I'm kinda stupid, but I have a point of view too, even because I can't stand the fact of seeing a fake story.

    I'm sure that many Tomb Raider fans won't see the third movie because they would see a fake story, a sort of vulgar Fanfiction.

    I don't demand to see the elements of the videogame into the third movie; a totally new COERENT story is ok to me.

    Post Scriptum: New Lara's bio is coerent to the movie, even if it doesn't talk about Powell, and it even says that her mother died during a plan accident, which is false.
    The biography made me think that father really died in 1985, because I think I read that her father disappeared when Lara was 17 (guess I could be wrong).

    The fact that Winston is absent into the movies doesn't mean that he doesn't exist in the films because, as I told you, Hillary and Bryce are created by Simon West's mistake, ignorance and stupidity. Maybe in that period he was relaxing in connussie (his place of birth), at his little home.

    I know, I'm crazy, but I explained that I really can't stand the idea of seeing a fake story onto a screen.
    I never said, nor implied you were stupid and I wasn't thinking it.

    You just weren't making to good a sense.
    When I referred to her bio, once again, I was referring to CORE'S TOMB RAIDER, the only Tomb Raider games OUT at that time. I said he didn't exist in the games, not the films, so what are you talking about?


    You are confusing me and yourself. The first two movies, in relation to Pre-CD Lara bio, was fake in that sense too. So what is your point?

  13. #13
    Of course they were fake, but Crystal has repaired to this.

    The 2 movies employed a new Lara's bio, a bio which hasn't been demonstrated during the series, so it was a "half fake". Into Core Design Tomb Raider Lara's past has never been developed enough. No Lara's childhood, No Lara's parents...

    Now Crystal's bio is relating to the movies one. Why can't the third movie be coerent?
    The screenplayers of the first movie made a great mistake, because they didn't know that Lara had a biography. I think that if they only knew they would have paid attention.

  14. #14
    You are confusing me, because I could have sworn that that was the point I was trying to make and you felt otherwise.

    NVM, I'm done here.

  15. #15
    By the way:

    Does anyone know anything about the third movie?

    The great Ian Livingstone said that the third movie would be recorded if Legend solds a lot of copies.

    Legend is the most sold Tomb Raider ever (according to the documentary in the Anniversary DvD bonus), but no news about this movie.

    Anniversary sold good, and Underworld too.

    And now?

    Is Angelina ready to rehearse Lara Croft again?

    Let me know ç_ç

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    2,767
    Quote Originally Posted by Danio View Post

    Legend is the most sold Tomb Raider ever (according to the documentary in the Anniversary DvD bonus), but no news about this movie.
    *chokes on cereal*

    Since when?!?
    Villa, villa.

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by Rexie View Post
    *chokes on cereal*

    Since when?!?
    Ahahaha, I don't know, I just watched that documentary created by GameTap which was included into the DvD Bonus of Tomb Raider Anniversary!

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by Rexie View Post
    *chokes on cereal*

    Since when?!?
    Legend's the fastest selling (according to the TRA documentary), but not the best selling; I think TR2 still holds that crown.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    2,767
    Quote Originally Posted by lilhanhan View Post
    Legend's the fastest selling (according to the TRA documentary), but not the best selling; I think TR2 still holds that crown.
    That's what I thought at first. Because TRDOX sold the most.
    Villa, villa.

  20. #20
    the post legend bio, the pre-legend bio, the movie bio, and the comic book bio are all completely unrelated. that's obvious enough. the post legend games took a few things from the movies like the main hall of the mansion and her guns, but that's it. frankly i dont want another movie. the movies weren't that great and even more people think TR is about a busty Indiana Jones, so as a long time game fan, i dont think she needs that rep. personally with the exception of Mortal Kombat1 i found every game movie to be horrid. Uwe Boll should [mod edit tsktsk]
    hold infinity in the palm of your hand, and eternity in an hour

  21. #21
    Quote Originally Posted by LC is Me View Post
    You are confusing me, because I could have sworn that that was the point I was trying to make and you felt otherwise.

    NVM, I'm done here.
    chill, LC. i know, sometimes one line can put you off. the "is not accepted" thing was....strange
    hold infinity in the palm of your hand, and eternity in an hour

  22. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by CAARaeed View Post
    the post legend bio, the pre-legend bio, the movie bio, and the comic book bio are all completely unrelated. that's obvious enough. the post legend games took a few things from the movies like the main hall of the mansion and her guns, but that's it. frankly i dont want another movie. the movies weren't that great and even more people think TR is about a busty Indiana Jones, so as a long time game fan, i dont think she needs that rep. personally with the exception of Mortal Kombat1 i found every game movie to be horrid.
    I don't agree with you at all.

    Post Legend bio and Movies bio are related, because in the movie her father died in 1985. Into the post legend bio her father died when she was 17 (Hence in 1985), and so she became victim of her uncle Errol for one year. After that year she owned her rights of countess and heired everything.

    The only thing which isn't true is that Manfred Powell killed Lara's father but, as Lara said, Powell is a liar (in Italy the correct adjective is "sbruffone"). How could he get Amelia's little "photo-portrait"? It's simple: Powell has just stolen it from the poor archeologist's dead body, previously killed by Jacqueline Natla. He was sure that he could use this little object to play with Lara's weakness, and handle her mind. These are theories, but these theories can gather the videogames storyline to the films.

    Howewer, comics bio and pre Legend bio have nothing to do with the actual official storyline.

  23. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by Danio View Post
    I don't agree with you at all.

    Post Legend bio and Movies bio are related, because in the movie her father died in 1985. Into the post legend bio her father died when she was 17 (Hence in 1985), and so she became victim of her uncle Errol for one year. After that year she owned her rights of countess and heired everything.

    The only thing which isn't true is that Manfred Powell killed Lara's father but, as Lara said, Powell is a liar (in Italy the correct adjective is "sbruffone"). How could he get Amelia's little "photo-portrait"? It's simple: Powell has just stolen it from the poor archeologist's dead body, previously killed by Jacqueline Natla. He was sure that he could use this little object to play with Lara's weakness, and handle her mind. These are theories, but these theories can gather the videogames storyline to the films.

    Howewer, comics bio and pre Legend bio have nothing to do with the actual official storyline.
    while you have full freedom to disagree with me, i have no clue why you are adamant on enforcing YOUR THEORY as the truth. CD has never acknowledged the movies as being a part of the post legend continuity. show me absolute proof from an OFFICIAL source that supports your claim, and i'll believe you. until then, it's your theory, and please claim it as such. there is no official correlation between those storylines. secondly, the pre-legend bio is also official, just ret-conned. also, as is a common joke around these forums, Lara is a little younger than James Bond, if you know what i mean. while you may LIKE to link the two, that's up to you. personally i think the movies were horrid and should be ignored by any real fan. but that's just me.
    hold infinity in the palm of your hand, and eternity in an hour

  24. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by CAARaeed View Post
    while you have full freedom to disagree with me, i have no clue why you are adamant on enforcing YOUR THEORY as the truth. CD has never acknowledged the movies as being a part of the post legend continuity. show me absolute proof from an OFFICIAL source that supports your claim, and i'll believe you. until then, it's your theory, and please claim it as such. there is no official correlation between those storylines. secondly, the pre-legend bio is also official, just ret-conned. also, as is a common joke around these forums, Lara is a little younger than James Bond, if you know what i mean. while you may LIKE to link the two, that's up to you. personally i think the movies were horrid and should be ignored by any real fan. but that's just me.
    Completely agreed
    'There must be a beginning of any great matter, but the continuing unto the end until it be thoroughly finished yields the true glory.' - Sir Francis Drake, 1587

  25. #25
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Croft View Post
    Completely agreed
    thank you. i have no idea what this guy is trying to say. i dunno if it's the grammar or if he's simply confused, but i remember him saying something about Winston not existing in the movies because of some mistake of Simon West's, which is okay to ignore, but he is INSISTING that there is correlation because of one off-hand remark and a coinciding date, which means nothing because Lara doesn't age...IT SPECIFICALLY says in the game that Natla killed Richard, but he seems to think this is acknowleged by the movie (made many years earlier) because Lara said that the main baddie's a liar (where in fact she was referring to him being a lawyer, if i remember correctly). apparently that little connection CANNOT be ignored. i really have no idea what point he's trying to make. and Danio, show me an official statement, and then we'll believe you. just because one room from the movie is the same as the game, and she decided to start using H&K USP Match pistols DOES NOT make it a tie-in.
    hold infinity in the palm of your hand, and eternity in an hour

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •