Thread: Donations?

Donations?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    394

    Donations?

    This is a vary basic simple question for all gamers here.

    IF , lats say Warren Spector because we all know who he is, made it known via the gaming press and his blog, that he had put together a small team of developers, and was planning on building a completely new game - unrelated to Deus Ex.
    This new game would be built for the pc and ported to console, and would be in the same style as his previous games - think Thief, System Shock and Deus Ex.

    However, because this would be an old style game, publishers are not willing to finance it properly, or give it the proper development time needed.

    So the question to you gamers is: Would you be willing to make a donation towards the development of this new game?
    Being a donater would perhaps give you access to new information on the game earlier, and perhaps even give you some influence game mechanics, sttings etc. Even as a donator though, you would still have to buy the final finnished product.

    EDIT: Bugger - I wanted to add a poll to this but wasnt fast enough.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Oxford
    Posts
    7,374
    I would consider it. It would really depend on the premise of the game though.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    2,108
    I would also consider it. But I don't believe Warren Spector has seriously changed his ideals about games like Deus Ex 1 so he probably would never consider creating a game like it ever again.

    But in a perfect world, I would probably make a donation

  4. #4
    Um this is already happening where have you been? It's called Junction Point studios and Disney is financing them. There is no need to donate anything. Warren Spector and his crew are very talented. Go here for info.

    http://www.junctionpoint.com/

    Again there is no need to donate. Money would be better spent elsewhere like feeding the homeless.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    2,108
    But they are not making a Deus Ex type game. He himself (Warren) even said he tired of coats and guns, or something like that. We are talking in the context of the situation set up by the OP.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    394
    Originally Posted by Unstoppable
    Um this is already happening where have you been? It's called Junction Point studios and Disney is financing them. There is no need to donate anything. Warren Spector and his crew are very talented. Go here for info.

    http://www.junctionpoint.com/

    Again there is no need to donate. Money would be better spent elsewhere like feeding the homeless.
    Yea I dont think you understand - I only used Warren's name because everyone here on this board, is likely to know who he is.

    Something like this is happening with another group of developers currently working on a title. On paper I didnt think it could work - but its seems to be happening for them fine atm.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    1,554
    I never really liked Thief. If, however, he would make a prequel to DX set in 2027 without any renaissance crap or tentacle augs I would donate all my money to him (which is not a lot at the moment, but I would happily donate up to 1000€).
    Apparently there are people who think the best way to make
    a prequel is to contradict the thing to which it is a prequel.

  8. #8
    I have donated to an independent studio making a slightly niche game (tactical shooter).
    Not a lot, just a small amount (I'm a poor student).

    This conversation kind of came up there because they are saying to do certain things they NEED a publisher.

    Boxed copy retail distribution = needs a publisher.
    360 version = needs a publisher.
    Use of certain technology = needs a publisher.

    Obviously people were all "But we don't want to wait, can't we fund it" and the answer was no.

    Basically the way they explained it was they could accept donations and those were useful for buying bits and bobs but they couldn't fund a game that way and there were lots of legal problems with taking preorders early.

    You do need a certain amount of money to even start a project like that and not enough people would ever donate to totally finance a project like that.

    I suppose to be fair you also have the model adopted by the Mount & Blade guys where people did pre-order in exchange for access to the latest beta version but again they'd have been in hot water if they'd gone under.

    A game being started it no guarantee it'll ever be released etc. etc. What if they take the money and then don't release?

    I can't remember who but I'm sure some company got sued for this very reason the other year.

    So the question to you gamers is: Would you be willing to make a donation towards the development of this new game?
    Being a donater would perhaps give you access to new information on the game earlier, and perhaps even give you some influence game mechanics, sttings etc. Even as a donator though, you would still have to buy the final finnished product.
    Why would anyone of Warren Spector's caliber want to remake a game from 2000 without changing a thing for a bunch of cranky whiny fanboys?

    Ditto any developer really. If you're involved enough to start a project you probably have some kind of creative vision of your own already.

    Taking unsolicited input from fanboys on forums is generally a terrible idea.

    I'm not saying there isn't anything you'd want to run past your fanbase. There's plenty of things where asking is just good marketing or common sense.

    I just mean trying to fulfill every request from your contingent of angry internet men is probably not going to be the best use of your time.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    394
    Originally Posted by spm1138
    I have donated to an independent studio making a slightly niche game (tactical shooter).
    Not a lot, just a small amount (I'm a poor student).

    This conversation kind of came up there because they are saying to do certain things they NEED a publisher.

    Boxed copy retail distribution = needs a publisher.
    360 version = needs a publisher.
    Use of certain technology = needs a publisher.

    Obviously people were all "But we don't want to wait, can't we fund it" and the answer was no.

    Basically the way they explained it was they could accept donations and those were useful for buying bits and bobs but they couldn't fund a game that way and there were lots of legal problems with taking preorders early.

    You do need a certain amount of money to even start a project like that and not enough people would ever donate to totally finance a project like that.

    I suppose to be fair you also have the model adopted by the Mount & Blade guys where people did pre-order in exchange for access to the latest beta version but again they'd have been in hot water if they'd gone under.

    A game being started it no guarantee it'll ever be released etc. etc. What if they take the money and then don't release?

    I can't remember who but I'm sure some company got sued for this very reason the other year.



    Why would anyone of Warren Spector's caliber want to remake a game from 2000 without changing a thing for a bunch of cranky whiny fanboys?

    Ditto any developer really. If you're involved enough to start a project you probably have some kind of creative vision of your own already.

    Taking unsolicited input from fanboys on forums is generally a terrible idea.

    I'm not saying there isn't anything you'd want to run past your fanbase. There's plenty of things where asking is just good marketing or common sense.

    I just mean trying to fulfill every request from your contingent of angry internet men is probably not going to be the best use of your time.
    You raise some good points, but you're still missing the point of my post.

    I want to know if people - gamers, are willing to donate to a project. Specifically a game development of a type they have an interest in.
    Im not talking about a re-make of Deus Ex. Im talking about a completely new game developed using the old method of innovation - think Sysem Shock 2 and how it skillfully manipulated your emotions - or any of the games I've mentioned above, including Deus Ex.

  10. #10
    I think I addressed it when I said that they wouldn't be willing to donate in the quantities required to fully fund development of a game.

    The fact that you think a poll here would be any kind of indication says you have no idea what scale funding would be required.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    394
    Im more interested in numbers of people willing to donate, rather than amount. I dont really have a take on how much people would donate - its the willingness to donate I want to know about.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    2,448
    I would donate! Most definitely, but right now I don't have much money

    If I DID have thousands in disposable income, you better believe I would donate to such a worthy cause

    btw i wonder what junction point is working on?


  13. #13
    I wouldn't donate. That's why mods are made. They are made by volunteers who put their heart and soul into them. Some of them, the really good ones get industry jobs.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    2,448
    True, some of the mods I've seen are truly high-quality stuff.

    CS, Sven-coop, a whole bunch of nwn mods... and some others too. But I don't think we are going to see a whole lot of that kinda stuff come from DX3.

  15. #15
    Originally Posted by Unstoppable
    I wouldn't donate. That's why mods are made. They are made by volunteers who put their heart and soul into them. Some of them, the really good ones get industry jobs.
    Most mods fail.

    Most mods that do come out wind up being terrible.

  16. #16
    Originally Posted by GmanPro
    I would donate! Most definitely, but right now I don't have much money

    If I DID have thousands in disposable income, you better believe I would donate to such a worthy cause

    btw i wonder what junction point is working on?

    Your guess is as good as mine. The other concept art is of a hot area. So I get the impression of the old elements coming into play.
    Fire, Water, Wind, Earth.



    The Junction Point site says that they are looking to do innovating games that some will love and others will think its crazy. Seems like a good idea to me. You don't get anywhere with stale ideas. Which is why I'm liking DX3 so far, its got some cool artwork and concepts. At the same time, I think they are crazy for having some of the augmentations.

    Originally Posted by Bluey71
    This new game would be built for the pc and ported to console, and would be in the same style as his previous games - think Thief, System Shock and Deus Ex.
    I hope its not in the same style. I think any new game of Deus Ex's caliber has to be new otherwise its not innovating in itself. Sure you can put new things in old themes, which I believe is what EM is doing, but it's not the same as creating a new style.

    And to answer about the donations, I don't think I could afford but a couple bucks and at the rate the dollar is dropping its not much. I would be happy to donate my time though, heh....heh.....heh
    So, the wait continues...

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    1,173
    Originally Posted by Bluey71
    This is a vary basic simple question for all gamers here.

    IF , lats say Warren Spector because we all know who he is, made it known via the gaming press and his blog, that he had put together a small team of developers, and was planning on building a completely new game - unrelated to Deus Ex.
    This new game would be built for the pc and ported to console, and would be in the same style as his previous games - think Thief, System Shock and Deus Ex.

    However, because this would be an old style game, publishers are not willing to finance it properly, or give it the proper development time needed.

    So the question to you gamers is: Would you be willing to make a donation towards the development of this new game?
    Being a donater would perhaps give you access to new information on the game earlier, and perhaps even give you some influence game mechanics, sttings etc. Even as a donator though, you would still have to buy the final finnished product.

    EDIT: Bugger - I wanted to add a poll to this but wasnt fast enough.

    Yes.


    Especially for NINJA GOLD.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    2,448
    Originally Posted by Yargo

    The Junction Point site says that they are looking to do innovating games that some will love and others will think its crazy. Seems like a good idea to me. You don't get anywhere with stale ideas. Which is why I'm liking DX3 so far, its got some cool artwork and concepts. At the same time, I think they are crazy for having some of the augmentations.



    I hope its not in the same style. I think any new game of Deus Ex's caliber has to be new otherwise its not innovating in itself. Sure you can put new things in old themes, which I believe is what EM is doing, but it's not the same as creating a new style.
    Interesting... so you're saying that one of the reasons that DX1 was received so well was because it was different from most of what was being made at the time? Yeah, I buy that.

    I'm all for DX3 introducing some new elements that turn out to be fantastic. Something that hasn't been done in any other game b4. I haven't seen anything really new as far as gameplay is concerned, but then again, its still very early in the process so I'll wait and see.

    Valve seems to be the only company at least trying to innovate a little bit with their games. The gravity gun was imo the last real, good, new idea to come to gaming. They seem to be still looking for more new and fun elements to compliment their games. The portal gun was definitely an interesting concept, although not really practical in a free-roaming environment.

  19. #19
    Originally Posted by GmanPro
    Interesting... so you're saying that one of the reasons that DX1 was received so well was because it was different from most of what was being made at the time? Yeah, I buy that.

    I'm all for DX3 introducing some new elements that turn out to be fantastic. Something that hasn't been done in any other game b4. I haven't seen anything really new as far as gameplay is concerned, but then again, its still very early in the process so I'll wait and see.

    Valve seems to be the only company at least trying to innovate a little bit with their games. The gravity gun was imo the last real, good, new idea to come to gaming. They seem to be still looking for more new and fun elements to compliment their games. The portal gun was definitely an interesting concept, although not really practical in a free-roaming environment.
    Sure that's the reason. I know there is a certain model that everyone wants DX3 to stick by, but didn't the original break the models back then? So it make sense to for EM to try to do something new, hopefully innovating, things.

  20. #20
    Interesting... so you're saying that one of the reasons that DX1 was received so well was because it was different from most of what was being made at the time? Yeah, I buy that.
    In some ways it was pretty similar to existing games.

    You can trace a clear family tree to it from games made by Looking Glass.

    System Shock in particular.

    In other ways not so much.

    The non-linear linearity was kind of new as I recall.

    It was kind of a mix of existing ideas with a couple of new ideas thrown into the mix.

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    2,448
    The point is that DX mixed together a lot of different gameplay elements, even if they were old ideas. The fact that DX blended them together in the way that they did, was a new idea.

    System shock was similar too, but in some ways it was different. SS was just a fancy fps to me. DX had a lot more freedom.