Page 1 of 8 12345 ... Last

Thread: Singularity: To all the non-believers...

Singularity: To all the non-believers...

Singularity: To all the non-believers...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Technological_singularity

It took 2 million years for us to discover sharp objects.
    It took 200,000 years for us to harness fire.
    It took 200 years from the steam age to harness fission (during which we discovered electromagnetism).
    It took 20 years to go from IVF to cloning.
    It took 2 years for your laptop to be technologically obselete.

We are reaching the point where our curve is going vertical.
    More will happen in the next generation's lifetime than has happened in the whole of history.
    This is why Deus Ex: Human Revolution is totally realistic and totally believable.

There are four known forces in the universe: Gravity, Electromagnetism, Fission and Fusion.
    We discovered them in that order.
    We have harnessed three of those powers (note UFO activity increased 1000% when Fission was harnessed)
    The final challenge in harnessing the forces of nature is Fusion.
    Now I am sure you all know what a Hadron Collider is.

The singularity is the point at which science fiction can no longer pre-empt science fact.

Welcome to the Human Revolution.
    signature image

Originally Posted by [FGS]Shadowrunner

It took 200 years from the steam age to harness fission (during which we discovered electromagnetism).

More will happen in the next generation's lifetime than has happened in the whole of history.
    This is why Deus Ex: Human Revolution is totally realistic and totally believable.

There are four known forces in the universe: Gravity, Electromagnetism, Fission and Fusion.
    We have harnessed three of those powers (note UFO activity increased 1000% when Fission was harnessed)

The singularity is the point at which science fiction can no longer pre-empt science fact.

Lol.
    Try to imagine what I'm thinking.

To quote the man himself, William Gibson, again: "I will not be taken in by the geek Rapture."

^ http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=lol

The selection is pretty....selective, don't you think? We can choose all sorts of inventions, only those fit the scheme But skepticism aside, this is interesting stuff, I will look deeper into it. Thanks for posting
    If you want to make enemies, demand respect while you exhibit none.

The gaming singularity is, of course, real.

Soon, every single game will be exactly like Call of Duty.

Originally Posted by '[FGS
    And if there's a fifth force? A sixth? You make it clear about how far we've come, yet your prognosis relies on us going no further.

Originally Posted by lithos
    The gaming singularity is, of course, real.

Soon, every single game will be exactly like Call of Duty.
    OP has been PWNED!

I still don't have my hover-board yet. And thus, I'm unimpressed.
    signature image

Originally Posted by Pinky_Powers
    I still don't have my hover-board yet. And thus, I'm unimpressed.
    This. Hoverboard and flying car or GTFO.
    Rule 30: A little trust goes a long way. The less you use, the further you'll go.

We should be in World War 3 by now anyway.

Shadowrunner, do you know what a singularity is?

Good point about games, lithos.

Originally Posted by Irate Iguana
    This. Hoverboard and flying car or GTFO.
    Indeed. We were promised certain things, and I for one am getting tired of waiting.
    signature image

I do not care if tis believable that is the main flaw with all mainstream fiction, to make it believable to the lowest common denominator...
    Ah modern gaming its like modern film only with shallow and watered down mechanics, gimmicks and shiny-er "people".

Lithos awesome, but in what way like COD?

I think it is true to say that there are more than four fundamental forces in the universe, but we can not harness what we have not discovered.

Flying cars were around in the 60's and have recently been relaunched as well.
    Cars which don't need your hands on the wheel, that drive themself existed in the 60's too, but were never sold for one simple reason. People like to drive.
    ILS has been around a long time too and has been refined, the only thing a pilot does these days, after the plane has reached the outer marker, is after touch down, he cuts the engine power. The rest is entirely the plane.
    signature image

I wonder what MR Gordon Moore would've thought to your understanding.
    Yes siree, the excitement never ends.

Flying cars were around in the 60's and have recently been relaunched as well.
    STFU! I was outside just yesterday, and there were no flying cars! Until I can look out my window and see an assortment of sedans, minivans and SUVs souring through the air, your words bare no meaning for me.
    signature image

The singularity isn't going to come until we develop AI's that can think faster than us and invent better... until that happens, we're just going to keep pushing technology under the direction of economics (greed) and government (military).

Originally Posted by Rindill the Red
    we're just going to keep pushing technology under the direction of economics (greed) and government (military).
    Its working so far. I am fine with greed and military.

Mmm we need to get to fusion power before singularity power, and even then all it is is energy and or a bigger bomb, humans will still be ***s with a crappy social system even if we can make matter from energy and make alot of energy easily.
    Ah modern gaming its like modern film only with shallow and watered down mechanics, gimmicks and shiny-er "people".

Originally Posted by ZippyDSMlee
    Mmm we need to get to fusion power before singularity power, and even then all it is is energy and or a bigger bomb, humans will still be ***s with a crappy social system even if we can make matter from energy and make alot of energy easily.
    A singularity refers to when the rules changed, it has very little to do with getting energy from matter or vice versa.

K^2 and some others may be confusing technological singularity with black hole singularity.

The reason you don't see flying cars outside of your window, is because you don't live at LaGuardia airport. A flying car still needs a runway. However my words may bear some meaning to you soon...

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/flying-car2.htm
    This is one is VTOL and will be mass produced eventually.

EDIT: and yes, Fusion is not the interest of gas or oil companies at all.
    signature image

I thought the singularity is the moment that computers reach a stage that is so advanced, humans will officially be rendered obsolete. And then terminator.

Originally Posted by BigBoss
    I thought the singularity is the moment that computers reach a stage that is so advanced, humans will officially be rendered obsolete. And then terminator.
    Almost. The human body would be rendered obsolete. Humanity would still exist, albeit in a vastly different form, one that we cannot currently conceive of or imagine. It would be like trying to explain human civilization to an ant.

K^2 and some others may be confusing technological singularity with black hole singularity.
    The word "singularity" has a meaning. When we talk about singularity in metric, we are talking about a black hole. Technological singularity is a singularity in something else. I'm asking you if you know what it is and if you know what it means. Because so far, you've been throwing the term and saying things that don't actually agree with the meaning of the term.

If you don't know the meaning, look it up.

Originally Posted by Rindill the Red
    A singularity refers to when the rules changed, it has very little to do with getting energy from matter or vice versa.
    Ah well it had to be either be energy and society or the power within society. LOL

Well if you say it like that you mean like when corporations are governments?(like now only with most of the public realizing that.)

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... Last