Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread: Skydiving over Panau...from over 100,000 ft. in the air

Skydiving over Panau...from over 100,000 ft. in the air

Cool Skydiving over Panau...from over 100,000 ft. in the air

That's right, over 100,000 ft. Last night, I used the parachute thrusters to reach an altitude of 34.08 km (111,811 ft.). After I reached this altitude, I closed the parachute and fell toward Panau. After just under 20 minutes of free-fall (), I opened my parachute and landed safely. I am so glad that these have been released as they allow us, the players to reach altitudes previously inaccessible.

Unfortunately, I don't have a video, as I am playing on 360. However, here is a tutorial:

1. Open the parachute when you have a decent amount of forward momentum.
    2. Pull back on the stick to ascend and simultaneously ignite the thrusters.
    3. When the thermometer is two notches from the very top, release the stick to begin leveling out.
    4. Wait for the thrusters to cool down completely; do not move the stick up or down.
    5. After they have cooled down, repeat steps 2-5.

Basically, this "thruster climbing" is a give-and-take process. The initial thrust increases your altitude while decreasing forward velocity. As a result, you will automatically point down to regain forward velocity, resulting in a decrease in altitude. However, in most cases the gain is greater than the loss. Also, starting to level out shortly before the thrusters overheat allows you to keep more of the altitude you have gained. This has been experimentally verified using buildings as references for height.

Please note that this altitude gain is relatively small; it took me four hours to reach the altitude I got to, and that was starting from a jet already in the clouds!

Thank you, Avalanche for these parachute thrusters, I have been waiting a long time to skydive from extreme altitudes, and now it's possible. Time consuming, but still possible.

Edit 1: As promised, here is a proof of concept video, more to follow.

Edit 2: 24km:

Edit 3: A fall from 50km (Warning, gets very flickery)

I also found out where the moon goes during the day:

man, that is dedication! It's really cool you can get that high.
    --------
    http://mygamepages.com forums and member created pages

So the 360 version has an altimeter? not the PS3, and when ever I tried to go high the plane would just disappear from under me, I guess I hit the ceiling, but it wasn't even close to your altitude?.

Fact: My personal best high skydive was 27,000' (9000m), it took my group 135 seconds to fall to 2000' (700m).

My highest jump as a tandem instructor with a first jump student/passenger was 21,000' (7000m), thats tandems from 20+ thousand feet, thats some serious stuff folks.
    Mod Nation Racers out 5-25-2010

whoa ! Im gonna go try that but not for 4 hours lol
    XBL: Dudeaz666
    PSN: Dudeaz666 Feel free to add me !

5. Wait, couldn't you have just flown a jet to the max ceiling height and free-fall from there?

*Edit*
    Oh, I'm guessing you can go higher in a parachute than a plane?

Oh one more thing, when Col Joe (Kittinger) jumped from that altitude (102,000,00') in real life it only took 41/2 minutes to get to 18,000' (6,000m), if the Col took that jump to the ground it would have only been a 61/2 min skydive, 20 min from that altitude is kind of not realistic, not saying you didn't get that amount of time, but that the physics of the game are way off if you got 20 minutes.

Originally Posted by Toki
    So the 360 version has an altimeter?
    No, I simply placed a waypoint directly below me on the sea and looked down to measure my altitude. Now, there would have been very small horizontal distances from it, due to my forward motion, but since the vertical distance is massive compared to the other two, I can safely say the reading for the distance from the waypoint was very close to my altitude (Within 1 meter).

Oh one more thing, when Col Joe (Kittinger) jumped from that altitude (102,000,00') in real life it only took 41/2 minutes to get to 18,000' (6,000m), if the Col took that jump to the ground it would have only been a 61/2 min skydive, 20 min from that altitude is kind of not realistic, not saying you didn't get that amount of time, but that the physics of the game are way off if you got 20 minutes.
    Yeah, the air density and pressure is not correctly modeled, probably becuase the developers never expected anyone to reach these heights. In fact, I was still getting rain and snow during my ascent, despite the nearest layer of clouds being more than 20km below me!

Originally Posted by Generalkillgore

Oh, I'm guessing you can go higher in a parachute than a plane?
    Everybody knows that parachutes go up not down haha (j/k), I wish I had a real thruster, oh wait, I can get one in real life, go figure huh.

Considering you fall at an average of 10 meters per second in real life, 20 minutes definitely is too long, you'd have had to have jumped from to moon (provided it was in our atmosphere).
    "Considering the value of the Panuan buck, killing you would have been more expensive"

someone better post a video cause im pretty sure the game has a defined ceiling that you cant go higher than whether in helicopter, plane, or parachute thrusters

im not a believer till i see it

Originally Posted by gandenkris
    someone better post a video cause im pretty sure the game has a defined ceiling that you cant go higher than whether in helicopter, plane, or parachute thrusters

im not a believer till i see it
    this

someone post these miracle thrusters past what a plane can do , every time I tried I smacked into the game's predetermined ceiling height

Sorry, no vid = not real.

Originally Posted by AssassinAgent47
    this

someone post these miracle thrusters past what a plane can do , every time I tried I smacked into the game's predetermined ceiling height
    when i use a 6 stars pellsilverbot i fly to the ceiling but i keep falling down my height is 9.06KM ill try again to reach 100 KM if its true......maybe he just made this thread so people will click it and comment it even its not true
    http://killerjo.net/ <<<< click it you know you want to

Originally Posted by AssassinAgent47
    this

Alright, I'll make another attempt tommorrow and record it with a camera. It will be shaky-cam, but that's the best I can do.

it's possible, I to get as high as you wish. With my modded thrusters I got as high where panau is just a tiny mess on the map.

I'm gonna try this. Probably tomorrow.

I'm on PS3 so I'll post a video if it works and if someone hasn't beaten me to it. (Which they certainly shoud've by then. lol)

Let's keep in mind if we freefall at realistic speeds, we won't have time to react or maneuver at lower altitudes. The unrealistic physics is what makes this game so fun, and of course the realistic scenery.

Four hours just to get to the drop point, gotta say that takes some serious dedication. I wouldnt do it once, let alone twice.

Originally Posted by agentx
    Let's keep in mind if we freefall at realistic speeds, we won't have time to react or maneuver at lower altitudes.

To funny, again someone who know's nothing about skydiving, remember, I have over 4400 jumps, I'm an skydiving instructor and a pilot, so when your talking skydiving, you might have an expert reading your post.

I'm assuming you mean the upper atmosphere, 40,000' and higher, Its the lower atmosphere that allows us to maneuver at alltudes lower than 40,000' (13,000m) in free-fall.

P.S. I'm not a hundred thousand foot believer anyway, never was because I never could get that high in the game when I tried.

dude that is NUTS, 4 hours!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AWSOME!

Ok maybe video will clear this up, or not?. Since allot of skydivers talk sh**, me included, we have a saying in skydiving. "If its not on video, it didn't happen" pretty simple, says it all.

First post updated with video. It's still being processed, though.

Originally Posted by EvilTonyAlmeida
    Fix'd
    LOVE LIST: RedPillow, Rios, The Zoo Boy, xbox360kris, Movura, dayd41, NovaSilisko, Ostrich, A.I., German. twitter.com/Pobby27 youtube.com/user/Pobby1000

Originally Posted by pobsta
    Fix'd
    There's your bloody proof.
    Viva la revolution.

Thumbs Up

I spent a lot of time to travel outside of the game area, leaving the continent behind and invisible, just to skydive with only sky, clouds and water around, so I'm sure if I get the thrusters, I will attempt this as well. So thanks for the info, EvilTonyAlmeida. (and the patience )
    RICO: First Blood Part II

Page 1 of 2 12 Last